• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Usage of PK Flash

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
The only main time I use PK Flash is if I'm edgeguarding to make them dodge or take the hit, but are there any other things to make PK lash actually hit your opponent?

Jamwa

Smash Champion
you can frame trap some characters depending on fall speed if you make them air-dodge the PK flash as they are falling down.
The best I've gotten out of something like that is a jab/grab if they fall for it and land in front of me and go for a punish.
I'm more consistent at doing this with Lucas' PK Freeze though, since it either has less startup/endlag or maybe it's just because his jab is frame 2.

an uncharged PK flash is very good against MK's tornado if you know the opponent is going to bum-rush you with it. if you time it right, pkflash should hit the mk as you are caught in the tornado, and you should be able to use a quick aerial after that.
ive only done that once, but it was cool.

Tikao

Smash Ace
you can use it as a 0,5s flashlight when you got a very dark stage-texture ... that's the best use of pk-flash in brawl

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
I try to use Pk flash in the air sometimes when an opponent is coming down above me to hit me. Sort of a fake out move. Idk if it'll work everytime on other people, but that's just the way I seem to hit people with it other than an edgeguarding move.

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
At low percents on battlefield, dair will pop up your opponent onto the short platform above and pk flash uncharged should be guaranteed. I saw some Japanese ness do it and it works

Bartolon

Smash Lord
You can sometimes catch people off guard with a non charged pk flash when they're above you. But in most scenarios I think the move isn't that useful.

Ness 682

Smash Apprentice
In my matches, I like using PK Flash for attacking someone while there in a Star KO :D I know it's useless, but it makes me feel better. In all serious"ness", Sometimes I just like to send off PK Flash right when someone is getting up from the ledge, having it aimed near me. In this case, not only is it protection for you, but if they time their approach wrong, it'll hit them while they try to attack you. Though when that happens, I have to make sure that I let go of the charge right before they attack me, otherwise it'll become interrupted and not go off.

Using it to ensure that someone goes a certain place is a nice thing too. For example, on Battlefield, if I used PK Flash on the left platform while a Marth was falling from the top-left of the screen, then I could send PK Flash on top of the left platform to resort him towards moving to the edge, thus limiting his options of getting back on stage. The trick with it is to give yourself a linear path of where your opponent can go and punish correctly.

Now, about using it on the edge, I find it kind of a waste of time. We all know that it can do massive damage if it hits charged on the edge, but its very easy to dodge. The only advantage from doing this is allowing you more time to plan what their going to do, since they'll most likely jump down or just hold on to avoid the attack. The main problem with doing this is the lag time that occurs after it goes off. You can be left vulnerable if they roll away from the edge also and punish you for doing so (depending on how far away you are from the edge).

Now wouldn't it be nice if it went off even when being attacked while using it? If that were the case, Ness would be a difficult character to approach safely because any Ness player could be trapping them into a combo leading to a charged PK Flash and result in high damage or death!

Sorry, I'm getting carried away from the point of this topic. Yeah, it's not too useful, only because you have better alternatives (like PKT1, easier to control and quick, at high percents, could be used for juggling, and if done right, also high damage from the PKT2).

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
Ahem, some characters such as marth and snake are tall enough to get hit by an uncharged flash. Out of jab lock, I use that flash and it true combos into tippered bat.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Ahem, some characters such as marth and snake are tall enough to get hit by an uncharged flash. Out of jab lock, I use that flash and it true combos into tippered bat.
It's probably not a true combo (SDI/DI), but at what percents does this work?
I'm assuming they fall down after the hitstun of the PK Flash, and can't airdodge the bat?

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
The uncharged doesn't allow for insane sdi like a charged one, but it provides time for follow ups since grounded ending lag is shorter than the hitstun. They don't airdodge the bat, because I first tried it out on CPU's before anything else since they like to airdodge the minute they get out of hitstun in the air. Because I end the jab lock at around 60%, it's enough to get them off the ground, but not too much to put them out of your bat range. I believe the reason they can't airdodge is because they're too close to the ground. And yes, I know a shield comes out in like, 2 frames, and a spot dodge is like 3-6, but again, the hitstun wouldn't allow it, because on top of that you've got the other character's landing lag animation as an extra (although small) frame wall between you and their defense. There may be a way out with marth (Haven't tested the dolphin slash, does it come out faster than the shield?), but I know it works with snake, due to his height AND weight.

The best way to get results is to try it out and see. I'd say spacies, but fox is too short, and I don't know if their fast falling is a factor. I don't want to rule out all heavies, but neither dk, ike, bowser, or rob should have a move that comes out fast enough, but I'll go over the frames and stuff today and get back to you.
But really,
Any character tall enough to get ness of the ground in a grab can be hit with the uncharged flash on the ground, and when timed correctly, anyone caught in an uncharged flash should be prone to a follow up without opposition.

Edit: Last tournament I was in a crew battle where Ifull flashed fox's phantasm, so for predictable recoveries, I'd say it's worth the lulz so long as you're at a safe distance. It can usually force a ledge recovery, leaving you protected from most character if you spaced yourself from the ledge correctly should you not hit them.

Snake's recovery

firefox/firebird

pkt2 (both chars)

rob's recovery

Dk's recovery

Diddy

etc. The list goes on. if you can get it in front of a horizontal recovery, or above a vertical one, it'll s*** on them or force a ledge grab.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
the rarest of cases, this will help you.

One thing you need to learn is the hitbox as it grows. You can catch a lot of people off guard by clipping with the edge of the hitbox.

Another way I would use it sometimes is if someone above me is in lag on a platform or something, you can shorthop+(no-charge flash), and if you hit them you have a chance for a neutral air against people with slower aerials or aerials with landing lag; the flash pops them up a tiny bit and by shorthopping, the pkflash lag on yourself is smaller (there's a range where you can fall to shorten that lag somewhere between short-hop and full jump height).

Top Bottom