• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*UPDATED* Kill Set Up with Pikachu (and other misc.)

ssbtrixie

Smash Rookie
NNID
Outplayeddesu
I beat Detta with SH Tjolt like 20 mins ago that means it's good right?

Last edited:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
You're all fat

Imma beat you all up when I get online

Be ready~ < 3 < 3 < 3
yo imma let you finish, but

The thing that makes Ground Jolt better is that we have a higher degree of stage control, plus if it is set out from a FH, we can move around as it is out, meaning if it hits the opponent, we can combo from it with ease
gotcha

Angiance

Smash Lord
Still going on with this whole T-Jolt thing, even though I've tried to drop the discussion days ago...God, aren't *you* quite the loser

I'll just eay this directly: DROP IT

Steam

Smash Hero
Sorry I've just been practicing my SH jolt followups. I've found I can get a guaranteed follow up into anything if the jolt breaks their shield!

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
This conversation needs to die. Angiance I know you spent a lot of time in the pika social thread but studying him hasn't given you correct knowledge. Kaylo, myself, leaf, esam, and anyone notable from
Our community will tell you that you shouldn't do half of what you said, and we have tourney placings to back it up. Please stop with these ill founded claims, they are erroneous.

Angiance

Smash Lord
This conversation needs to die. Angiance I know you spent a lot of time in the pika social thread but studying him hasn't given you correct knowledge. Kaylo, myself, leaf, esam, and anyone notable from
Our community will tell you that you shouldn't do half of what you said, and we have tourney placings to back it up. Please stop with these ill founded claims, they are erroneous.
SON OF A *****

Okay, need I remind you that I'm not the one continuing the conversation? In fact, I've been trying to end the conversation for DAYS, its not my fault OTHER people keep bringing it back up

@ Steam Steam
Loser~

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
How has this thread essentially become a flame war lol. Also diggin the rengy-po avy steam. Feel like I haven't played against one in
A while

Boots12

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5258-1457-1182
Yeah, I'm confused too. Could someone explain when to use FH vs SH vs Grounded T-jolts?

Steam

Smash Hero
How has this thread essentially become a flame war lol. Also diggin the rengy-po avy steam. Feel like I haven't played against one in
A while
Neither have I because I haven't played league really in months :(

@above- FH jolt is better because it offers more control and you can DJ out of it.

Angiance

Smash Lord
However, all 3 should be kept in mind, for variability

Standing Jolt: comes out the fastest, but no mobility or follow-up, purely a mix

SH Jolt: the Air Jolt will land on the ground earlier than it would from FH Jolt, and you'll have aerial mobility, but you'll be stuck in place for a bit after you land; use this variant for halting the opponent's momentum quicker

FH T-Jolt: it takes a while for the Air Jolt touch ground, and you're also stuck in the air longer, however you'll have mobility
And also be able to land with no lag; use this variant for comboing off of the Ground Jolt

Angiance

Smash Lord
SH jolt: use when you want to give your opponent a free powershield punish on reaction.
You keep all 3 in mind so that you have more to choose from, doofus

You TYPICALLY want to give yourself as much flexibility as possible in a fighting game, as using the same **** over and over makes you become >>> PREDICTABLE<<<

Neutral Jolt
SH Jolt
FH Jolt

Keep them all in mind

Last edited:

Steam

Smash Hero
SH jolting limits your options as opposed to FH jolt, there is essentially no advantage to ever doing it off of SH unless you have more room to fall.

Last edited:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
so in melee fox should mix up grounded lasers with shdl because otherwise he would be limiting his options, even though grounded lasers are significantly more punishable

got it

dettadeus

Smash Lord
no it's literally the same concept

you have a lagless option in which you retain mobility or a laggy option where you are stuck in one place

nobody in their right mind should be picking the laggy option that keeps you stuck in one place

Steam

Smash Hero
You haven't played the game yet and you're arguing this adamantly against two people who are top 5 in their (crappy) region. pls.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well, you BOTH still fail to realize that Pikachu IS STUCK IN THE GODDAMN AIR LONGER, that CAN be punished, all you gotta do is READ IT, which isn't that hard when you're USING THE SAME GOD DAMN VARIATION OVER AND OVER

Please Pikas, don't listen to these clowns, keep all 3 in mind, and mix it up

Last edited:

Steam

Smash Hero
Well, you BOTH still fail to realize that Pikachu IS STUCK IN THE GODDAMN AIR LONGER, that CAN be punished, all you gotta do is READ IT, which isn't that hard when you're USING THE SAME GOD DAMN VARIATION OVER AND OVER

Please Pikas, don't listen to these clowns, keep all 3 in mind, and mix it up
the animation has the exact same duration, except when you FH you have control over your movement for the whole thing. in any situation where you could punish a FH jolt, you will be able to punish SH jolt easier because instead of being in the air retreating, pikachu will be on the ground stuck in the end of the animation. There's no advantages to SH jolting instead of FH jolting unless something is in the air above you, in which case you shouldn't be jolting at all.

pls get game before you become so opinionated.

Angiance

Smash Lord
pls get game before you become so opinionated.
It's not opinion, it's fact

You fail to aacknowledge the fact that from a SH the airjolt will touch ground faster than it would from a FH, so we'll be covered by it.

FH Jolt is as good, but it has flaws too...I mean, you have to wait longer for the ground jolt to come out, and that's the only good part of T-Jolt IS the ground jolt; Air Jolt isn't that great
The fact that practically ANY CHARACTER can simply run up and FH an aerial to eat THROUGH the Air Jolt AND hit Pika as he's >>>>> FLOATING IN THE AIR<<<<< is a pretty noticeable flaw, but on the other hand, if the Air Jolt actually makes it to the ground we gain fairly powerful stage control

You say SH Jolt can be shielded and punished, but technically anything can be shielded and punished if it's read, so that point is insufficient

To avoid being read and punished, they NEED TO ALL BE KEPT IN MIND for variability

But if you wish to use only one variation and get consistently punished then...I dunno what to tell ya

^ ~ ^

Last edited:

Steam

Smash Hero
It's not opinion, it's fact

You fail to aacknowledge the fact that from a SH the airjolt will touch ground faster than it would from a FH, so we'll be covered by it.
Thunderjolt by itself doesn't cover you ever, it takes like 20 frames to come out, has a distinctive audio cue, and is an EASY powershield. Any safety generated from jolting has to stem from the distance you can create between you and your opponent. SH jolting will always leave you in a more vulnerable position since you'll end up closer and on the ground. with FH jolt you'll be farther away and only immediately punishable by aerials. Of course FH jolt is quite punishable as well, but in any situation where you can punish FH jolt, you can punish a SH jolt even harder assuming you can powershield telegraphed projectiles. Tjolt is bad at close range, imagine that.

FH Jolt is as good, but it has flaws too...I mean, you have to wait longer for the ground jolt to come out, and that's the only good part of T-Jolt IS the ground jolt; Air Jolt isn't that great
Having to wait longer for the jolt to hit the ground should only matter if the opponent is close enough to run underneath a retreating FH Jolt, and at that distance, you'll probably get punished even harder for SHing it for reasons I already mentioned. trying to approach with a SH jolt is even worse because you won't be able to keep up with the jolt to follow up properly because you'll be stuck sitting on the stage at the end of your animation, and if you do it at close enough range you'll likely get punished on hit.

The fact that practically ANY CHARACTER can simply run up and FH an aerial to eat THROUGH the Air Jolt AND hit Pika as he's >>>>> FLOATING IN THE AIR<<<<< is a pretty noticeable flaw, but on the other hand, if the Air Jolt actually makes it to the ground we gain fairly powerful stage control
if you're at that sort of range and try to SH jolt, they don't even need to powershield the jolt to punish you, some characters at low% can probably punish on hit. You'd also have to react insanely fast and have a meaty Fair to do what you'd describe, it would be much more realistic to just run underneath and then punish the ending frames of the move, but even then at that point Pika could move himself in the air to possibly avoid the punish. if you SH jolt you can do nothing and are stuck on the ground.

You say SH Jolt can be shielded and punished, but technically anything can be shielded and punished if it's read, so that point is insufficient
guess that means SH warlock punch is a viable mixup? the whole point was that jolt is powershieldable on reaction, doing it out of a short hop limits the distance you can retreat it and makes you all the more punishable. If you do jolts at close range you're unsafe either way, and god help you if you try to approach after a SH jolt.

To avoid being read and punished, they NEED TO ALL BE KEPT IN MIND for variability

But if you wish to use only one variation and get consistently punished then...I dunno what to tell ya
to avoid being punished, you need to keep jolting in general in mind along with pikachu's other options. assuming your opponent knows how to shield you're always going to be worse off SH jolting, and even if they don't know how to shield your gains from SH jolt will be situational and minimal. Sometimes certain options just outclass others, Lucario's Dthrow is pretty good and true combos into his fair, but I've not used it a single time in a serious match because his Uthrow combos into his Fair, Nair and Uair and does more damage. It's not the best design but it is what it is.

=^w^=

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
Once again...from a SH, the Air Jolt becomes a Ground Jolt faster, which is fairly useful if you run away and shoot it, or if you want to cover the ledge from far away. It's fine as long as it's used *wisely* alongside FH Jolt.

Why on Earth would anyone use T-Jolt at close range unless it's some kind of mix.

No really, why...

No really, why d'ya think i'd be tryin' to approach with SH Jolt? As I said, i'd knock you away and then do it as you're falling to cover the ground; or do it as you're camping a projectile to cover myself; or do it to cover the ledge from far away; or do it as I'm on a platform to land below it and have the Ground Jolt covering me from the platform...I mean, it has uses, dunno why y'all are pointing out the one single thing you can do to punish it, which is to read it, which will only happen if it's used predictably

I will say this again: ANYTHING can be read and punished, ANYTHING

Mix it up~

Last edited:

Steam

Smash Hero
you don't have to get a read to punish SH jolt. it can be powershielded on reaction and if you aren't far enough away afterwards you're getting punished for it.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
let's look at the other side of this for a second.

your opponent gets hit by the grounded jolt. if you sh your jolt, you get no followup and can potentially be punished on hit. if you fh, you can get a grab, dtilt, usmash, dash attack, etc guaranteed bc you are able to act even before the jolt hits the ground.

you can argue about how punishable sh jolt is all you want (the answer is very), but if there is ANYTHING you literally cannot deny, it's this. we don't gain any actual stage control from the projectile if we aren't able to follow up on it hitting something because the opponent is at 0 risk from getting hit by a sh jolt.

Steam

Smash Hero

they aren't really 3 separate options as the opponent deals with them in the same way, one is just safer than the other two.

Mause

Smash Rookie
Yeah I don't see how that keeps someone unpredictable. All three variants have the same result to the opponent: bouncy thunder coming your way. It's way too slow a move to not notice so its not gonna catch people off guard unless they have a bag over their head.

If there's ever a time that I don't want to risk being "stuck in the air longer" then I just straight up won't use thunderjolt in the first place.

There's a big difference between "limiting yourself by using one variation" and improving yourself by avoiding poor choices; and that's when an option is virtually outclassed by another.

Like Roy

Roy sucked.

Top Bottom