• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 5/22!] Project M + BrawlEX: A starter's guide

Strange Matter

Smash Rookie
Hey i tried again and im still getting a freeze :(
Don't think I've ever seen BrawlEx freeze on opening the CSS before. Usually it will either show an empty screen or freeze when selecting a clone if something's wrong. What edits have you made to sc_selcharacter exactly?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Don't think I've ever seen BrawlEx freeze on opening the CSS before. Usually it will either show an empty screen or freeze when selecting a clone if something's wrong. What edits have you made to sc_selcharacter exactly?
So, i fixed the opening cutscene freeze. the new freeze is now at the CSS. Whenever the CSS tries to load i get a loud buzzing crash. And my sc_selcharacter file isnt too big.

In case u still need to know this, ive simply added portrait files, and css icons and names. all the cosmetic stuff.

Spigel

Smash Cadet
Is not the best advice, but I suggest to repeat all the process again at the point where your built worked fine, that's what I do when something goes wrong and don't work, just make sure to backup all your data before start.

This time for example, you can try adding one character at time.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Gah. this stupid CSS freeze is so annoying. i dont understand why my css is freezing. Does ANYONEE have any ideas????

C.YI

Smash Rookie
OKAY SO! I've narrowed it down to my SC file being the issue. But i cant pinpoint where the issue is. I'm pretty sure i did everything right (though i could have made an error i'm not spotting). does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong?? And/or can anyone take a look at my file? Here it is in case you can:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0xv9akcc7cqz5r1/sc_selcharacter.pac

Thanks guys!
So i downloaded and glanced at your file, and the first thing I noticed immediately was that in the char_bust_tex_lz77 section, your newly added Miscdata are compressed as 'ExtendedLZ77' while the all the original Miscdata are compressed as LZ77. I would recommend changing your new Miscdata to LZ77. The character selection screen loaded successfully when I changed this in the file, though I never tested to see how it worked beforehand. Hope this fixes your problem.

Looking back at my own SC file, i noticed that all my MiscData are actually set to ExtendedLZ77, so I'm not sure if that would fix your problem, but give it a try anyway

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
What really?? I thought one of the important steps was to make the new MiscDatas into ExtendedLZ77. I only did that cause it told me to lol

C.YI

Smash Rookie
What really?? I thought one of the important steps was to make the new MiscDatas into ExtendedLZ77. I only did that cause it told me to lol
Like I said, my own SC is all extendedLZ77 i noticed, so it may be another problem. Regardless, your SC loaded for me. Does your CSS not load at all? Or does it only freeze once you highlight a specific character?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
So i downloaded and glanced at your file, and the first thing I noticed immediately was that in the char_bust_tex_lz77 section, your newly added Miscdata are compressed as 'ExtendedLZ77' while the all the original Miscdata are compressed as LZ77. I would recommend changing your new Miscdata to LZ77. The character selection screen loaded successfully when I changed this in the file, though I never tested to see how it worked beforehand. Hope this fixes your problem.

Looking back at my own SC file, i noticed that all my MiscData are actually set to ExtendedLZ77, so I'm not sure if that would fix your problem, but give it a try anyway
so that didnt work lol

It freezes as soon as i press on fight (versus then fight in the menu) - so ya it doesnt load at all

how the hell did it work for u?? lol
is there something else that needs to be done somewhere to make sc updates work?

Last edited:

C.YI

Smash Rookie
so that didnt work lol

It freezes as soon as i press on fight (versus then fight in the menu)
The odd thing is that your SC.pac does not freeze for ME. It loads fine. I don't see why it would freeze for you unless you are possibly missing something else. I know SD cards can have fragmentation issues, so I often have to defragment my card to get everything working again. Idk if the USB loader has that issue.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
The odd thing is that your SC.pac does not freeze for ME. It loads fine. I don't see why it would freeze for you unless you are possibly missing something else. I know SD cards can have fragmentation issues, so I often have to defragment my card to get everything working again. Idk if the USB loader has that issue.
Thats so annoying lol. WHYYYYYYYYY
I tried formatting my sd and putting my stuff back on, still nothing.

I am using USB loader. I duno wtf is going on. Someone HALPPPP!!!!

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hello again everyone. I've made some very strange discoveries, and I was hoping maybe it would point someone towards a solution to my problem. Basically I've done some testing to see what specifically is causing the freeze when my game tries loading the CSS, and a number of things have come up. So I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible..

First thing i did - I took the new build that freezes, and I reverted back to my old (working) brawlEx folder/files. Here, the game still froze at the css. Next, I reverted back to my old sc file, and in this case the game loaded the css! Finally, I kept the old (working) sc file, and switched back to the NEW BrawlEx folder, and the css loaded again!

So it SEEMS that the sc is the issue right? BUT while i was testing this stuff, C.YI had also asked to test my sc (that freezes) on his build, so I sent it to him, and he said his css worked with my sc. SO I'm soooo confused now!!!

Does anyone know what could possiby be going wrong with these conditions in mind??

EDIT: So C.YI uses Dolphin, while i use Homebrew. Could using homebrew be an issue at all?

Last edited:

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet
Hey so anyone ever had the strange problem that you set up PMBEx just fine when suddenly you are stuck at the loading screen? Yeah, me. This is happening to me. And this never happened to me. I want to know who experienced this similar issue, who solved it and how. Please, I would appreciate an answer.

biggest boy

Smash Rookie
I've added a new fighter using 48 as the ID. Upon reaching the results screen the game crashes. Only when the character was in the match though, works fine other times. Here are the relevant files in the STGRESULT.Pac file.
http://imgur.com/a/IDhhK http://imgur.com/a/FA6Ik http://imgur.com/a/C5FBR
Asides from that it works fine. Another character I added (going over ridley's slot however) had this same issue so I deleted the files and his stock icons would come up as being toon link in the results screen instead. Still better than crashing but I'd like to fix this.

Edit: I should also mention that the character's double jump puts them into a t-pose for some reason.

Last edited:

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
This is mainly for PegasusKnt PegasusKnt for that thing about Mr. Game and Watch's jab glitch not working properly, but I found out that the FighterConfig .dat file had an extra space in the name and changing it to "Fighter12 .dat" to Fighter12.dat" fixed the bug. Just in case you were still wondering despite it being months.
I WAS still wondering! Thank you!

biggest boy

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I redid the process of adding the character, using the exact same ID and all. The character no longer enters a t pose after double jumping but it still crashes at the result screen, despite me doing exactly what is written in the guide. The only thing I did not in the guide was edit "stockfacetex" in the pf>menu>common folder, adding in my character stocks.

EnderAndroid

Smash Rookie
This is what happens when I tried loading an unmodified PM+EX build into Dolphin. This also happened with a previous attempt at cloning Kirby, but with a different tutorial.

What I did is that I replaced the "pf" folder in the vPM build for Homebrew with the one from the PM+EX build. I then put all the files in a virtual SD card and started up the game in Dolphin as I normally do. This is likely just a CSS problem, because you can wait on the title screen until an automated match eventually starts with the characters functioning just as they should.

Am I supposed to load in the PM+EX files another way? This is all very new to me, so I'm sorry if this sounds rather noobish.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
This is what happens when I tried loading an unmodified PM+EX build into Dolphin. This also happened with a previous attempt at cloning Kirby, but with a different tutorial.

What I did is that I replaced the "pf" folder in the vPM build for Homebrew with the one from the PM+EX build. I then put all the files in a virtual SD card and started up the game in Dolphin as I normally do. This is likely just a CSS problem, because you can wait on the title screen until an automated match eventually starts with the characters functioning just as they should.

Am I supposed to load in the PM+EX files another way? This is all very new to me, so I'm sorry if this sounds rather noobish.
Looks good to me. ;)

EnderAndroid

Smash Rookie
Looks good to me. ;)
I'm not sure what you're talking about in particular. If you're referencing to how I loaded the files, then I'm even more clueless on what to do to fix this mess.

If you're just being sarcastic...

Hentai

Smash Rookie
Hey
@Solaros
Could you send me a pic of your metal sonic clones folder (where the pac files are)

im missing files for my sonic clone and i cant find them anywhere ;(

energyman2289

Smash Cadet
NNID
energyman2289
3DS FC
5257-9419-2734
So I have an odd problem. I added Knuckles in as a Sonic "clone" and every time I try to have him fight Sonic, the game crashes. Why is that? What can I do to fix it?

SoN1c2001

Smash Rookie
Most of the characters I add to my build crash the game when entering a match. I have tried everything to fix the problem. Is there anything else that I should try?

Last edited:

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Most of the characters I add to my build crash the game when entering a match. I have tried everything to fix the problem. Is there anything else that I should try?
What do you mean you tried, you need to be more specific, you might just need the BP or edit the module file, you might also need to fix the fighterconfig, there's a lot that might fix the problem, but you need to be more specific for help.

SoN1c2001

Smash Rookie
I know how to add characters, and almost all of the characters work on my Wii, but Dolphin just crashes. I have tried different Brawlex files and modules, but they never work for me. I don't add the CSPs or BPs until I know that the character works, so there isn't a problem with that.

Last edited:

ShadowX13

Smash Rookie
So I've managed to add 3 new characters. The first one turned out fine, but the other two freeze whenever I:
a) cycle through their CSPs,
b) simply select the character and wait a bit, or
c) try and enter a match with them in it.
I've checked through the troubleshooting section at least 10 times now and can't find anything that matches my problem.

Anybody know what's wrong?

(Awesome tutorial btw. Quite easy to follow.)

EDIT: Added another character and got the same results.

Last edited:

Diskscratch

Smash Rookie
I've been trying at least 6 times to add Knuckles, Lyn, and Sami to PMEX (One at a time) using a modified port to have them in PMEX, they have all the files I need, and I seem to have everything correct, but it always freezes BEFORE I even select the icon in the CSS, I put in Knuckles/Lyn/Sami, by following a YouTube tutorial that uses an example of Goku over Pit, though I thought that I could just change the Hex ID to match an empty spot. On the CSS, I see either an icon of the character, or sometimes just another Random icon, even though I checked the Slot data and confirmed that it did have the right ID, when the cursor is not currently selecting a character and I even move close to that icon, it freezes. I need help putting them into the game, I can give anyone to help me the necessary files of Knuckles, Lyn, and Sami to help and maybe use Skype to guide me through if need be. if you're a: "Teach a man to fish," kind of person.

nickultra

Smash Cadet
So I've managed to add 3 new characters. The first one turned out fine, but the other two freeze whenever I:
a) cycle through their CSPs,
b) simply select the character and wait a bit, or
c) try and enter a match with them in it.
I've checked through the troubleshooting section at least 10 times now and can't find anything that matches my problem.

Anybody know what's wrong?

(Awesome tutorial btw. Quite easy to follow.)

EDIT: Added another character and got the same results.
I've been trying at least 6 times to add Knuckles, Lyn, and Sami to PMEX (One at a time) using a modified port to have them in PMEX, they have all the files I need, and I seem to have everything correct, but it always freezes BEFORE I even select the icon in the CSS, I put in Knuckles/Lyn/Sami, by following a YouTube tutorial that uses an example of Goku over Pit, though I thought that I could just change the Hex ID to match an empty spot. On the CSS, I see either an icon of the character, or sometimes just another Random icon, even though I checked the Slot data and confirmed that it did have the right ID, when the cursor is not currently selecting a character and I even move close to that icon, it freezes. I need help putting them into the game, I can give anyone to help me the necessary files of Knuckles, Lyn, and Sami to help and maybe use Skype to guide me through if need be. if you're a: "Teach a man to fish," kind of person.
HD CSPs have frozen my PM before, if that's any help.

Last edited:

ShadowX13

Smash Rookie
HD CSPs have frozen my PM before, if that's any help.
Unfortunately, no. I know that's not the issue. All my CSP's are 128x160, in CMPR format.

I wanna say that it's something to do with either the module or one of the characters' files in the "BrawlEx" folder, but I've looked over them all at least half a dozen times, and they match what the tutorial said to do.

LiveWire-93

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, no. I know that's not the issue. All my CSP's are 128x160, in CMPR format.

I wanna say that it's something to do with either the module or one of the characters' files in the "BrawlEx" folder, but I've looked over them all at least half a dozen times, and they match what the tutorial said to do.
I'm having a very similar issue. Only I'm adding Dr. Mario and Dark Pit to my Cobalt Legacy build. When Dark Pit is selected, the game crashes when entering a match. When Dr. Mario is selected, the game soft crashes, (The Wii can still access the home menu) I checked numerous times and every config file for both of them seem correctly named and placed in their specific directory. And yes, the modules have the correct hex id in memory viewer. Is there something that wasn't covered in the tutorial? If anybody knows how to bypass this, please teach me.

Last edited:

greenfire2003

Smash Rookie
Someone help me please, I tried to add another character, Pichu for being exactly, I added all the files but when I Ioad the game, after the PM strap it shows me a black screen, im using MarioKing64DS´s Waluigi 3.6 build on Dolphin

greenfire2003

Smash Rookie
I dont know why but when I load my PM EX build, right before the opening movie it crashes. Do someone knows why?? Im using Dolphin 5.0

opmwolf

Smash Rookie
Sorry for reviving a dead thread (kinda) but I'm having an issue with the CSS when I hover over the fighter I added. In this case I added Krystal (cloned over ZSuitSamus). The game loads and plays fine but when you select her the name comes up as a blank square. I can't recall ever having it show up in Pm+Ex.

I have redone the sel_character.pac and info.pac using the guide probably 3 times already with the same result. White square. Unless I'm missing a very small detail causing this.

Another small note, Waluigi is missing. Did I actually bork something somewhere?

SoN1c2001

Smash Rookie
Sorry for reviving a dead thread (kinda) but I'm having an issue with the CSS when I hover over the fighter I added. In this case I added Krystal (cloned over ZSuitSamus). The game loads and plays fine but when you select her the name comes up as a blank square. I can't recall ever having it show up in Pm+Ex.

I have redone the sel_character.pac and info.pac using the guide probably 3 times already with the same result. White square. Unless I'm missing a very small detail causing this.

Another small note, Waluigi is missing. Did I actually bork something somewhere?
What format did you use for the name?

opmwolf

Smash Rookie
What format did you use for the name?
Thank you so much for aiming me in the right direction, the format for the .png was set to "CMPR" to default instead of "I4". I also had to make a new .png since the one provided didn't match up to the other fighter names.

The font is called "GENIUNE" for those interested!

Top Bottom