• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 06/09/16] 19XXTE 0.11, ROM Hack (Working on Console!)

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
I've used a USA rom and a PAL rom and neither of them work. How can I tell if the rom is byte-swapped?
You need a hex editing programm, "HxD" is a free editor iirc.

Open it and just drag and drop your rom in it.
After that look at the offset 0x20 if it shows "SMASH BROTHERS" (besides the hex values).

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I've used a USA rom and a PAL rom and neither of them work. How can I tell if the rom is byte-swapped?
You need a hex editing programm, "HxD" is a free editor iirc.

Open it and just drag and drop your rom in it.
After that look at the offset 0x20 if it shows "SMASH BROTHERS" (besides the hex values).

Oh well I ****ed up. You want the one that says "SMASH BROTHERS" not "MSSA..."

cvskid

Smash Rookie
This works on real hardware with a everdrive 64. Going into training mode and choosing stages freezes the game. Saw in the demo mode of the game that master hand was playable, how do you choose him?

Last edited:

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
This works on real hardware with a everdrive 64. Going into training mode and choosing stages freezes the game. Saw in the demo mode of the game that master hand was playable, how do you choose him?
might try re-downloading it and re-patching the rom. i just tested 0.5.3 out on my everdrive and there were no issues, with regular or widescreen.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
This is a known bug. Unfortunately, I do not have a fix. Master hand is not selectable

ZEN 777

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this has been suggested yet and I am sorry if it has. But you should find a way to be able to play as blue falcon and those extra Yoshi colors.

Also you should be able to play with the polygon models. That'd be hype as ****.

EDIT: also collision bubbles pleeeeeease

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I don't know if this has been suggested yet and I am sorry if it has. But you should find a way to be able to play as blue falcon and those extra Yoshi colors.

Also you should be able to play with the polygon models. That'd be hype as ****.

EDIT: also collision bubbles pleeeeeease
I'm going to ATTEMPT, to make the left and right C buttons cycle through costumes to allow this to happen. I have no intention on working with the polygons although I think @tehz started doing so.

No promises.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
This is sick. There have been so many threads about improving the game and making cheats more accessible but almost none of them actually included implementations. I passed this thread over until today but I'm very happy with how easy it was to get working. Good stuff man!

themanthemaster

Smash Rookie
I'm going to ATTEMPT, to make the left and right C buttons cycle through costumes to allow this to happen.

No promises.
Oh man this would be sweet, I always pick blue Falcon. I see you also added the results skip, hot diggity!

Are you going to give the 3 new stages pictures on the stage select? My inner nerd is flaring up.

EDIT: Bug report: While letting 19XX just sit at the character select enough time passed so it played the intro movie. After that it went to the character showcase thing. I wasn't watching the whole time but it froze when it got to Puff. I don't know if Puff is the problem, but there is a bug here.

Also, in Training Mode, only the untampered stages load. You probably knew this, just reaffirming it.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
EDIT: Bug report: While letting 19XX just sit at the character select enough time passed so it played the intro movie. After that it went to the character showcase thing. I wasn't watching the whole time but it froze when it got to Puff. I don't know if Puff is the problem, but there is a bug here.
This happens in the original game

Danny_SsB

Smash Apprentice
Is there a possibility of playing in the stages of Break The Targets and Board Platfoms?

PS: Thanks for the credits @Jorgasm

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
I've been looking for something like this for a long time, kudos for making it happen.

(Can't believe this has been up since May and I haven't noticed it until now...)

frostyfire03530

Smash Rookie
@ Cyjorg Cyjorg
I've been looking for a new coding project and wondered if there had been any work on SSB64 when I happened upon this thread (I joined just to at least write this).
I'd really be interested in lending out a hand.
Do you have your code up on git for tracking edits?
Do you want some more help in trying to develop this further?
I wouldn't want to intrude if this is a personal endeavour, but I'd be glad to help in any way that I could.
Plus, I have a few other friends in the industry always looking for a new challenge. About 4 of my close friends from my internship while doing software dev. I don't know if they'd be on board, but they might too.
Let me know what you think. I'll check here between breaks at work.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
@ Cyjorg Cyjorg
I've been looking for a new coding project and wondered if there had been any work on SSB64 when I happened upon this thread (I joined just to at least write this).
I'd really be interested in lending out a hand.
Do you have your code up on git for tracking edits?
Do you want some more help in trying to develop this further?
I wouldn't want to intrude if this is a personal endeavour, but I'd be glad to help in any way that I could.
Plus, I have a few other friends in the industry always looking for a new challenge. About 4 of my close friends from my internship while doing software dev. I don't know if they'd be on board, but they might too.
Let me know what you think. I'll check here between breaks at work.
I'm always happy for people to help but I don't think this project is what you're looking for. A majority of my work consists of me exploring RAM and changing the values loaded directly on the ROM and occasionally manipulating MIPS instructions to fit my needs (like the stage loading hack I documented earlier and the random stage fix to go along with it).

Right now I'm m working on reworking the debug menu and adding my own code on top of it. If it's possible to branch there whenever we want, then I'd love to have your help. Otherwise, I'd probably look elsewhere for a more complicated project if that's what you're looking for

frostyfire03530

Smash Rookie
I'm always happy for people to help but I don't think this project is what you're looking for. A majority of my work consists of me exploring RAM and changing the values loaded directly on the ROM and occasionally manipulating MIPS instructions to fit my needs (like the stage loading hack I documented earlier and the random stage fix to go along with it).

Right now I'm m working on reworking the debug menu and adding my own code on top of it. If it's possible to branch there whenever we want, then I'd love to have your help. Otherwise, I'd probably look elsewhere for a more complicated project if that's what you're looking for
Meh, I wasn't looking for anything complicated. I like messing with stuff like this in my free time. I did a little here and there for the Xbox scene way back in the day and the last game that I did some stuff on was the leaked FixItFelixJr executable. I do infrastructure operations storage administration by day and hang out with the family at night most of the time. I was just looking for something small to contribute to since the mundane tasks of helping our employees at the home office doesn't give me much time for starting my own projects.

If you ever do need a hand just give me a holler. Great work so far and can't wait to see where this goes!

Beets

Smash Apprentice
hate to just post without lurking but is it possible to have players always spawn at neutral points? regardless of ports used i mean?

also how about custom (more vibrant) shield colors?

Shears

Smash Master
hate to just post without lurking but is it possible to have players always spawn at neutral points? regardless of ports used i mean?

That could be possible but there we need to be some script checking values and updating them in memory. Spawn locations are set in memory I believe so this could be changed but you would need to have these changes be static without a script reading and checking everything. If you wanted it to be dynamic and say, regardless of ports, if its 2 people put one here and another there then you would need a script that checks all ports, identifies the ones in use and sets one to one location and the other to another location. Neutral starts are different ports on each stage btw so having static locations won't help either and a script would be needed to check stages, know neutral starts on stages, and move players to these locations. Seems out of the scope of this project or at least not a priority for this project just yet.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE

Coming from the guy who wrote the first Neutral Spawn Points code for Melee, probably not.

jiffypop23

Smash Rookie
Just wanted to bump to say how great this patch is, thanks a lot!

Also, how feasible would it be to make balance adjustments? Like nerfing/buffing moves?
A separate patch with balance fixes and such (like Project M is to Brawl) would be pretty nice!
(I'm just extra salty over getting rekt by Kirby too often)

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
Madeo's patch had balance adjustments, although I don't think that's a good idea for this project. As far as I can tell this is more about improving the tournament experience of regular smash 64, not changing the game entirely.

Last edited:

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't seem to be honestly so unbalanced that it NEEDS to be changed like that. everyone is kind of broken in the same way, so it sort of balances itself out.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Great stuff man, what is the total stage list?
As far as 64 tournament rules go, there is widespread debate between the DL only crowd and the All Stages crowd.
Is there a way to link it to a button press as to not have to remove any stages?

Just wanted to bump to say how great this patch is, thanks a lot!

Also, how feasible would it be to make balance adjustments? Like nerfing/buffing moves?
A separate patch with balance fixes and such (like Project M is to Brawl) would be pretty nice!
(I'm just extra salty over getting rekt by Kirby too often)
This game is flawless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kart8Smash4

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to make the C stick Smash? I love Smash64, but I crave C smashing.

Also, in Project 64 it says "In a permanent loop that cannot be exited. Emulation will now stop. Veify ROM and ROM settings."

Last edited by a moderator:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
you can make c-smashing by using some kind of controller macro program like xpadder or joy2key, it takes work but is possible

my example procedure would involve (in the emulator) mapping the non c-stick parts of your controller as desired, EXCEPT for the a button. map the a button to a keypress on your keyboard. then in whatever macro program you use, make a command that adds a up, down, left or right cstick joystick direction along with the same keypress you mapped for the a button in the same function, then map that function to the c-stick in the same macro program. do that for all 4 directions and it should work fine.

enjoy and good luck. no more questions to me about this please, as it will probably not work as perfectly as you want, you dirty ****ing macro cheater.

TheRealMax77

Smash Rookie
New here :fox64::falcon64::link64::samus64:

So I have been trying to inject the rom to a wad, I have used a smash64 wad and also tried the sin and punishment wad but so far no luck. Just asking if someone here successfully did convert it to a wad and so can they help me or something. I don't know if providing the wad is illegal or not.

Any help is appreciated :grin:

Kart8Smash4

Smash Rookie

So I have been trying to inject the rom to a wad, I have used a smash64 wad and also tried the sin and punishment wad but so far no luck. Just asking if someone here successfully did convert it to a wad and so can they help me or something. I don't know if providing the wad is illegal or not.

I'm looking into that as well. Wads run so much more smoothly.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I'm looking into that as well. Wads run so much more smoothly.

I believe the norm is to use a Sin and Punishment(?) wad. It's listed a few pages back

TheRealMax77

Smash Rookie
Here is my problem with the sin and punishment wad
I use the Auto Injectuwad Injector v3
pick the 19xxte.n64 rom - pick Sin&Punishment.wad
I hit Start!
the command prompt opens but for less than a second
then on the bottom left corner of the injector window under status says:
"Waiting for final injected wad"
and it just stays there.
When I use the smash64 wad it opens the command prompt and runs but then does an error
"Rom file too large to inject to the selected entry, exiting!!"
So any idea what is wrong??

When you are going to inject the sin and punishment wad make sure this symbol (&) is not in the name.
Sorry for the NOOB mistake :ness:

Last edited:
Top Bottom