• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 06/09/16] 19XXTE 0.11, ROM Hack (Working on Console!)

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Did you guys know that the game returns to the title screen after 18000 frames without input which is exactly 5 minutes? Anyways this feature, which causes freezes, has been disabled.

Edit: I'm dumb

Last edited:

exTro

Smash Rookie
copy and past what's in the "log" box
[01:12:42] Original file "Super Smash Bros. (U) [!] - Kopie.z64" selected.
[01:12:48] Patch file "usb_widescreen.xdelta" selected.
[01:12:49] Applying patch, please wait... (don't panic!)
[01:12:49] An error has occurred: xdelta3: file open failed: write: C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 1.6.1\Games\Super Smash Bros. (U) [!] - KopiePATCHED.z64: Zugriff verweigert
Zugriff verweigert means "Access denied"

So Yeah. Sorry if I did something wrong there. I think what you gave me is a patch where I needed a 19XX edition already and patch it and not get it from scratch. But that's just an assumption. ^^

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Zugriff verweigert means "Access denied"

So Yeah. Sorry if I did something wrong there. I think what you gave me is a patch where I needed a 19XX edition already and patch it and not get it from scratch. But that's just an assumption. ^^
no you need an original file. Run DeltaPatcherLite as an administrator or move your ROM somewhere else since Program Files is a protected folder and then

DeadBeef

Smash Rookie
I love this modification!!! have you ever thought about updating the texture? I know I would love that but others may not, maybe have one file with the original texture and another with updated textures. why not make a hd version because nintendo never will.
Great job though keep up the great work!

exTro

Smash Rookie
no you need an original file. Run DeltaPatcherLite as an administrator or move your ROM somewhere else since Program Files is a protected folder and then
So the patching worked finally but it's set to 0 and there is nothing new. Do I need to do something so that everything is activated? Also do I need to patch both things? The patching worked for the fullscreen xdelta file but not for the widescreen one and I can chose a .rar file in my P64 games list. Is this intended?

MrBoomer1231

Smash Rookie
Great work man,I have a question is it possible for you to add new characters and also change their textures ?
Thanks if you answer.
I'm really excited to finally see a good and serious Smash Bros 64 hack after all this time :)

Zantetsu

Smash Master
So do button activators not work at all in this hack? To my knowledge, a lot of what you've done is applied previously existing GS codes into the modified rom, so is the reason you haven't used any because they don't work with the method you're using to apply these codes to the rom? I have little to no experience with any type of programming so I'm not sure if they work or not.

If they DO work, can I make a suggestion to have them be used for things like additional/modified stages, activating widescreen (removes the need for 2 roms), turning on certain codes like hotbox mode, and there's much more than can be done if people come up with additional ideas. Button activators are incredibly useful for options that we may only want to have on temporarily.

For example, it would be real nice to be able to hold down Z+L when selecting a stage to activate the widescreen mode, hold R+L to activate hitbox mode, and also have the ability to maybe hold R on Dreamland for no wind, hold R on Hyrule for no Tornado, etc.

Lastly, I just want to point out that on your stage selection screen, Hyrule is the only texture that is viewed at a 45 degree angle. Every other stage is looked at head on. Obviously not a huge deal, it's just something that throws off the consistency of the style and I wasn't sure if you were aware of it or not.

Great work though, I'm really liking the progress you are making with this!

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
So do button activators not work at all in this hack? To my knowledge, a lot of what you've done is applied previously existing GS codes into the modified rom, so is the reason you haven't used any because they don't work with the method you're using to apply these codes to the rom? I have little to no experience with any type of programming so I'm not sure if they work or not.
Tl;dr It's not that simple.

1. Gamesharks work completely independently of software on a cartridge. They have the ability to access RAM addresses continuously and change them with either constant writes or activators like you've pointed out. I do not have the ability to check a RAM address every time a line of code is ran. That would absolutely kill the frame rate even if it were possible. Because of this, I have to analyze what's actually happening every time a RAM address is read from or written to and work from there by modifying code and or the tables that the code loads from. While I can get away with overwriting a byte are two for some, others, like the Widescreen code, required more work. So While Gameshark codes are great starts to creating ROM patches, I still have to recreate them myself.

2. Button activators are less professional. Part of my goal for this project is for it to seem more like a patch than an hack. This means having visual cues for every change (which is why I wrote my own polygons code). This also means not having users remember random things like "hey hold the L button during stage load to play sector Z."

3. Button activators can be activate by accident. This is probably my biggest fear since I wish to keep the hack tournament ready at all times.

4. This one is specific to stage hazards. I won't write a code that will change the way something works in vanilla Super Smash Bros. If Hyrule is legal with tornadoes in any tournament (unlikely in 2016), I don't need people arguing whether are not to play with them on. Stage hazards specifically cause divisions between people which is not a goal of this patch. I want to add content that would still allow Ultra Smash Bros. to played alongside Super Smash Bros. in tourney.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Ultra Smash Bros. 0.7 Release Update

New feature: access the debug menu. This will allow for debug menu toggles similar to the 20XX hacks. Currently, I have Skip Results Screen, Hitboxes, and Widescreen. I will not be including stage hazard toggles but please throw other suggestions my way.
Bug fix: alternate costumes (currently only player 1 can change costumes correctly)
Bug fix: the game freezes if you leave it running. I've disabled the timer to bring it back to the start menu thus "fixing" the freeze
Change: Hyrule Castle's stage preview will be a front view pic

Other changes in the works:
A fix for Final Destination's stage preview
Force stage load (so you can play on stages alone)
Whatever simple changes you guys can suggest for the Debug Menu

The current goal is to release a build before Xanadu's Smash 64 event on Monday at the latest. Thanks for your patience!

Edit: show hitboxes added

Last edited:

GFD

Smash Cadet
Out of curiosity, would you consider a tap jump toggle? I'd expect not, which I would fully understand.

Here are some other ideas for debug menu toggles of varying usefulness and difficulty to implement:
  • Camera: Normal / Close-up / Fixed
  • Screen shake: On / Off
  • Player indicators: Dynamic / On / Off
  • Pause: On / Hold / Off
  • Music: On / Off
  • Sound: On / Off
  • Voice: On / Off
  • P1–4 spawn %: 0–999
  • Respawn invincibility: On / Off
  • Stale moves: On / Off
  • Infinite shields: Off / On
  • Infinite jumps: Off / On
A skeleton costume option would also be cool to see, if it's feasible.

Last edited:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Ultra Smash Bros. 0.7 Release Update

New feature: access the debug menu. This will allow for debug menu toggles similar to the 20XX hacks. Currently, I have Skip Results Screen, Hitboxes, and Widescreen. I will not be including stage hazard toggles but please throw other suggestions my way.
Bug fix: alternate costumes (currently only player 1 can change costumes correctly)
Bug fix: the game freezes if you leave it running. I've disabled the timer to bring it back to the start menu thus "fixing" the freeze
Change: Hyrule Castle's stage preview will be a front view pic

Other changes in the works:
A fix for Final Destination's stage preview
Force stage load (so you can play on stages alone)
Whatever simple changes you guys can suggest for the Debug Menu

The current goal is to release a build before Xanadu's Smash 64 event on Monday at the latest. Thanks for your patience!

Edit: show hitboxes added
Awesome, you found a way for my original suggestions to work it seems. This is great, thank you for all of the effort you have put in to this. I was wanting to get an Everdrive before, but this update makes me want to get one ASAP now.

Edit: Oh, another potential toggle could be the Japanese hit sounds. I know a lot of people don't like them, and it's not a top priority thing, but just a suggestion.

Last edited:

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Add a toggle for the collision/ledge grab diamonds.

Code:
Collision Display NTSC-U
810F2FD0 2400
That was a code I ported from the Japanese, and it seemed to work fine on console. I didn't mess around with it too much. Only hitboxes or collision can be active (so far as I saw), and this address is separate from the hitbox code address (whether or not it actually separate, idk).

e: Good job on getting the debug menu up and running! That's huge!

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
It's looking very very good. However, I'm struggling to find a place to store the variables. I saw that you used the end of the stack (I think) to store registers for one of you hacks. Is it safe to assume that I could store them there without fear of them being overwritten?

the stack is dynamic just kidding I have another idea

Last edited:

Madao

Add a toggle for the collision/ledge grab diamonds.

Code:
Collision Display NTSC-U
810F2FD0 2400
That was a code I ported from the Japanese, and it seemed to work fine on console. I didn't mess around with it too much. Only hitboxes or collision can be active (so far as I saw), and this address is separate from the hitbox code address (whether or not it actually separate, idk).

Oh nice, I didn't know they had that on the official site! I already had the collision display code btw. I just called it Purple Hurtbox, because I didn't really know what it was for. Basically for the hitbox display variable, 2 = red hitbox, 3 = the collision thing, every other number besides 0 = regular hitbox display.

the american version of the game has the japanese hit sounds, right? how about having a toggle to switch between NTSC and JPN hit sounds?
I believe it does, since there are gameshark codes for it. Good suggestion.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
It's looking very very good. However, I'm struggling to find a place to store the variables. I saw that you used the end of the stack (I think) to store registers for one of you hacks. Is it safe to assume that I could store them there without fear of them being overwritten?

the stack is dynamic just kidding I have another idea
Yeah, I don't really know of any way to allocate memory. I'd probably just try finding space around 0x800Axxxx (or even lower...), because all of the variables that the game seems to save end up around there. Let me know what you figure out!

I just called it Purple Hurtbox, because I didn't really know what it was for. Basically for the hitbox display variable, 2 = red hitbox, 3 = the collision thing, every other number besides 0 = regular hitbox display.
Nice! I just figured that was for purple colored hitboxes haha.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Yeah, I don't really know of any way to allocate memory. I'd probably just try finding space around 0x800Axxxx (or even lower...), because all of the variables that the game seems to save end up around there. Let me know what you figure out!
Pretty much that. I disabled the Stage Select option and the ability to write to it and use that byte for toggles. That's only 8 bits but that should suffice for now.

Tarek701

Smash Rookie
Hello. Sorry for being off-topic, but just saying, if there are any remaining bugs in CajeASM, please report them to me. I'm currently fixing a lot of stuff for CajeASM v8.0 and I'm still searching for a way to make a proper disassembler in CajeASM without messing up everything.

Greetz,
Tarek701.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Hey looks like everythings going great! btw I recommend keeping the game as close as the old as possible, Like idk why in the world would any one wanna remove crowd cheering and screen shaking like, what. Also is it possible to incorporate projectiles into smash attacks? Me fray and madao talked about this a while ago when I tried (well, attempted) to get snake into the game

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Hello. Sorry for being off-topic, but just saying, if there are any remaining bugs in CajeASM, please report them to me. I'm currently fixing a lot of stuff for CajeASM v8.0 and I'm still searching for a way to make a proper disassembler in CajeASM without messing up everything.

Greetz,
Tarek701.
First off, I can't thank you enough for your program. It's honestly a blessing to use. The pseudo instruction branch (b LABEL) calculate branches incorrectly so I've just reverted to typing out beq R0, R0, LABEL.

Thanks again for all of your work. Can't wait to see v8.0!

GolfClubNinja

Smash Rookie
hey, i was just wondering how hard it is to add new content to roms, specifically ssb64, instead of modifying already existing content within the roms.

Top Bottom