• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UpB ledge cancel

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Is this viable? Just started practice on getting this down but as its Links arieal up b I don't know if it's even worth doing. Unless there is a way to ledge cancel grounded upB? What are you guises thoughts on this technique?

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
You can't ledge cancel Link's up b(as far as I know) unless your being moved near the ledge(ex: in Dreamland the wind is blowing you) and you spin attack grounded and then are pushed off as the attack is in motion. Spin attack is great for recovery against many opponents because it's an attack as well and has a nice hit box. Not against Marth's Dtilt though. He can reach in with it and poke you out of the aerial spin attack. I'd practice the AGT with Link as it's better and gives you a third jump basically. The upb takes too long and if you miss the punish is bad. So you want to be quicker in real time.

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
You can't ledge cancel Link's up b(as far as I know) unless your being moved near the ledge.
I can tell you what I have been practicing if you like. So you can try it yourself and see. Run towards a ledge, jump cancel into up B at the ledge and you do a falling air up B. With no DI you will automatically grab the ledge and with backwards DI you can land back on the stage. Timing for this isn't any harder than trying to upB out of shield.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I can tell you what I have been practicing if you like. So you can try it yourself and see. Run towards a ledge, jump cancel into up B at the ledge and you do a falling air up B. With no DI you will automatically grab the ledge and with backwards DI you can land back on the stage. Timing for this isn't any harder than trying to upB out of shield.
Now I see what your saying. That sounds like it could be useful for gimping if it could be done consistently.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Its always been possible in Brawl to do this, but never consistently, I think it was possible in Melee as well, once again not consistently iirc.

And with UpB being very laggy and easily punishable, it probably wont be worth it. Though unless it's easy enough to do consistently, it will most definitely be useful.

J3f

Smash Cadet
I could see this being used as an edge guard. If you want to cancel Spin Attack Lag then pull out a bomb and UpB on the 3-4 red flash. the Bomb explosion cancels the lag.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Yeah I can confirm this existed in Melee... I never really found much of a use for it, though, aside from slightly speeding up how fast you could get on a ledge (but if you miss and just upB on stage, the opponent gets a free return)

because Link is in the air with this move, if it hits, you get the multi-hit knockback from an aerial upB, rather than the super knockback of the standing upB... so it's not amazing as an attack. It's a mixup of sorts for getting on the ledge, but I think it's not much better than a flashy tech.

That said, I kind of hope somebody proves me wrong here.

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
because Link is in the air with this move, if it hits, you get the multi-hit knockback from an aerial upB, rather than the super knockback of the standing upB... so it's not amazing as an attack..
Yeah, if it were grounded it would be killer. Also as I have tap jump off i have to swipe my fingers across y to b as fast as I can, not that hard, but i tend to hit the cstick in the process, and doing this offstage makes me dair. another hazard to doing this move.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
Not to add to heresay, but I'm pretty sure I did this once and hit with the strong standing up+b damage. Only once though. Can someone test this?

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit surprised nobody else here learned of this and immediately started Ledge Cancelling into B-airs. Like, LC UpB > Grab Ledge > Backwards (to fall) > Second Jump Back-air > Ledge Grab

Welcome to the future y'all.

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. After trying to apply this, even against CPU's and even with the B-air followup, it's pretty much useless. Something to do while the enemy is dead to show off at this point. You could use it onstage to get like 2% because they'll never ever see it coming, but you ARE going to get punished, so it would never be worth it.

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
I do it to be stylish, mostly. It was more useful in Melee, when you couldn't just back-jump off the ledge and double-tap Z to hookshot it instantly (the Reverse Aerial Rush makes that even better in PM). It is actually a pretty quick way to grab ledge when you're dashing towards it, a situation which makes the other methods for getting on the ledge a little bit slower. That said, PM definitely makes it like it was in Melee again, where you only hit with the aerial hitboxes. This means you'll maybe even save your opponent if you accidentally hit them with it, unless they're Yoshi or something.

D

Deleted member

the only time this was used in melee was for a faster ledge grab out of a run because you couldn't do reverse aerials. in brawl and PM theres no point to ledge cancel it because you can do a reverse short hop and grab the ledge.

as for combos i dont think first two hits of aerial up-b have enough hitstun to lead into anything

Last edited by a moderator:

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
the only time this was used in melee was for a faster ledge grab out of a run because you couldn't do reverse aerials. in brawl and PM theres no point to ledge cancel it because you can do a reverse short hop and grab the ledge.

as for combos i dont think first two hits of aerial up-b have enough hitstun to lead into anything
I couldn't agree more. The reverse short hop is the real nail in the coffin for this technique, as it makes grabbing ledge by just dash --> waveland-off or dash --> edge-tether considerably faster than Up-B. And those hits do nothing.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Duuuude, my homie. I love up B ledge cancel.

Bring out the flash. Suicide because of it. Etc.

It's not necessary, but it's really ****ing awesome and I do it anyway.

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
Duuuude, my homie. I love up B ledge cancel.

Bring out the flash. Suicide because of it. Etc.

It's not necessary, but it's really ****ing awesome and I do it anyway.
I did say earlier that I do still use it for style. I actually had a guy at my college's smash club complement me on how cool it looks a few days ago. :D

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I did say earlier that I do still use it for style. I actually had a guy at my college's smash club complement me on how cool it looks a few days ago. :D
Did it in friendlies at a tournament. Everyone was like oh ****. Instantly made myself look about 20 times as good.

Top Bottom