• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

up tilting, and tilting in general

drewlynoted

Smash Cadet
i know what you thinking, that i am a complete idiot, but hear me out

i wanna know how to up tilt without jumping/up smashing.

i know this may sound stupid or what not, but i just want to know if that there's a possible way to do it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yes, just don't tilt the control stick all the way up. This also helps you not accidentally doing smash attacks.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Exactly what Ankoku said. It's called "tilting" for a reason. They wan't you to "tilt" the control stick. It gets really easy after you get used to, and you will never mess up again!

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
That happens to me too, but i dont mind much because most of my tilts are after something(WD, Throw, etc) so i just quickly go up the stick during the attack before the tilt for an uptilit, and seeing was they both said i guess i'll also give that a go, it just can improve my game :p

mood4food77

Smash Hero
as long as you don't hit up and a at the same time, and not jump, you should be good

it also can't be a tap

the reason i say this is because you can tilt up and press a at the same time and still get a smash

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
didn't read, sry if mentioned:
you can tilt it up slowly, and after you do an attack in general, hold up on the control stick during the random attack's animation. you can even tap it up by doin that, just keep holdin it up if you wanna do it or just let go of it if its not the right time.
hope this is understandable.

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
i know what you thinking, that i am a complete idiot, but hear me out

i wanna know how to up tilt without jumping/up smashing.

i know this may sound stupid or what not, but i just want to know if that there's a possible way to do it.
Tilt the control stick, don't point it all the way in one direction. If you're still having a hard time take some time to jump into Training mode and practice a bit.

It wouldn't hurt would it? ;)

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
move it halfway up at a medium speed. if you plan on doing multiple uptilts, after you hit A for the first one, just hold straight up, you wont jump or do anything cause you're in the middle of your first uptilt. after that you can spam A

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
sorry i'm confused..i never have trouble doing jumps trying to tilt or anything, but i'm confused about one thing..so if i flick the stick up rapidly, but only go halfway, will I stay grounded? while if i move it slowly all the way up it won't do antying either right? so to jump i have to flick past halfway at a reasonably fast pace?

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
The easiest way to do it is to move the control stick up while another animation is going on. The other way is just muscle memory. You need to learn both.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Best way, that's the most useful, and fastest is to tilt the control stick up during the lag of something or other. They're usually used in combos anyway, so just jam it up during lag. It's how I do it, (if i'm not stand alone utilting)

Sayori

Smash Rookie
Messed around in training a bit just now and I think it doesn't matter at what speed you tilt. It's just that the tilt itself (on the control stick) has to be very small if you want to do it quickly from the neutral position, it's a lot less than I expected. After 10 minutes of practice you'll have the hang of how far you can tilt and do it ezpz.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Messed around in training a bit just now and I think it doesn't matter at what speed you tilt. It's just that the tilt itself (on the control stick) has to be very small if you want to do it quickly from the neutral position, it's a lot less than I expected. After 10 minutes of practice you'll have the hang of how far you can tilt and do it ezpz.
Here are the precise values for 1-frame control stick movements from the dead zone (grey area):

Smash inputs subside after 4 frames.

Top Bottom