• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up throw up air kill confirm

I like polls I thought this would be funny: Who’s the UA traitor?

• Izuku MiDORIYAH! (Obviously)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Katsuki Bakugo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All Might

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Denki Kaminari (anybody who chooses this is dead to me)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Acid trip pink waifu

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Rick-Woomy!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7643-3959-7772
So I know that up throw can consistently combo Into up air at lower percentages with one jump, or at higher percentages with two jumps. I also know that up throw up air can kill confirm at some percentages with specific characters, and I order to kill confirm, you need to read your opponent’s DI, jump, airdodge, and other aerial options. My issue is that I’m not good at trying to read my opponents to get the kill confirm really ever, and while I’m playing and practicing more with inkling, I hope that this thread can help people like me to become better at inkling by practicing the kill confirm.

Phatty

Smash Cadet
Uthrow Uair is a true combo at kill percents. You don't have to read a defensive option. You have to read DI but that's not very hard. What you want to do is first, hold jump after you up throw to full hop on the first possible frame. Second, after inkling is in the middle of their jump, press jump and up air (either with the A button or with the Cstick) within a few frames of each other. This will make inkling do an Uair while still getting a boost from the double jump. Izaw went over this in his Art of Inkling video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZjPU3FtRQU go to min 11:11

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Here is a dumb thing you have to know, rage actually nerfs away the kill confirm. So if you’re at higher percents yourself, the combo may not be true. So ironically, rage makes Inkling worse.

Grimel

Smash Cadet
Are you actually supposed to read the opponent's DI after the up throw or react to it? Because I can get the kill combo consistently if I predict the opponent is going to DI left for example and I buffer the jump and hold the control stick to the left at the same time and then jump straight up with my second jump and do the up air. But when I see pro players doing it they seem to jump straight up after the up throw and then react to the opponent's DI to kill with double jump up air and I can't do this at all.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Are you actually supposed to read the opponent's DI after the up throw or react to it? Because I can get the kill combo consistently if I predict the opponent is going to DI left for example and I buffer the jump and hold the control stick to the left at the same time and then jump straight up with my second jump and do the up air. But when I see pro players doing it they seem to jump straight up after the up throw and then react to the opponent's DI to kill with double jump up air and I can't do this at all.
Yes. It’s to land on the sweet spot of the up-air.

Phatty

Smash Cadet
Reacting to DI is something that you get better at with practice. It also helps if you have a shoulder button set to jump. Then you can steer your character with the control stick while you press jump and flick the c-stick up for the Uair. I know a lot of people who use the GameCube controller don't like changing shoulder buttons, but it really is helpful in situations like this.

One other thing is, if you need practice you can use a second controller and tape that controller's control stick to the right or left. This won't help you practice reacting but it will help you practice physically doing the combo in those situations so you can react more fluently.

Grimel

Smash Cadet
Reacting to DI is something that you get better at with practice. It also helps if you have a shoulder button set to jump. Then you can steer your character with the control stick while you press jump and flick the c-stick up for the Uair. I know a lot of people who use the GameCube controller don't like changing shoulder buttons, but it really is helpful in situations like this.

One other thing is, if you need practice you can use a second controller and tape that controller's control stick to the right or left. This won't help you practice reacting but it will help you practice physically doing the combo in those situations so you can react more fluently.
Not being able to consistently get the up throw up air kill is the biggest flaw in my game. I started to think my reaction time is too bad. I guess I need to invite someone over to do the DI without telling me. I practised it in training mode by putting the controller on the floor and holding left or right with my foot to DI the up throw and can get the kill pretty much all the time so it is not a timing issue. Jump on shoulder button feels weird to me. I tried it in the past and don't think I can get used to it after years of playing Smash without it. I also only play online so depending on the connection it might be even harder to get.

Last edited:

Rick-Woomy!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7643-3959-7772
I don’t know I still suck at the confirm so I can say anything

Top Bottom