• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up smash out of shine?

stretto

Smash Rookie
I fractured my wrist so I can't test this out for myself, but is it possible to do upsmash out of shine given that upsmash out of shield is possible? If so then how come nobody does it? Triple shine into upsmash would be beastly. Sorry if this has been posted before.

:phone:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It is possible, but it's not in any way practical as it's not safe on shield and waveshine usmash actually works.

stretto

Smash Rookie
What do you mean it is not safe on shield, As in it is shield grabbable?

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP
upsmash out of shine is pretty much never useful, definitely punishable on shield and not a good idea anywhere else.

The one time i've ever seen it put to use is when you have an opponent in lag at kill percent near the ledge, and you don't have enough time for a straight up-smash and you don't have enough stage for a normal waveshine upsmash; thus the running shine up-smash is your best option for the kill.

This is so situational, it's best to just push out of your mind entirely. The closest i've seen to it being optimal is here, and even here an up-smash probably would've been fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gQ-BxNprFzo#t=529s

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
shine u-smash is a great tech chasing tool when you have the distance to dash cancel

sometimes you can also just "combo" the moves together if you hit a running shine on someone

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well technically it is possible, but even it's more like a rare mixup with Falco more than a kill option with Fox imo. I don't see any reason to go for a shine -> usmash unless they for some reason spotdodge after a shine. I guess if you condition them to expect a shinegrab you could mix it up using a partly charged usmash, but wouldn't that be kinda risky compared to how easy it is to kill with Fox most of the time?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
i love shine usmash and it combos nice after nair in certain situations. i use it in a almost 0 to death in this vid: http://www.twitch.tv/nyusmash/b/336284970 at 1:15:30 seconds in tournament might i add. its good if u have some1 pushed to the edge because sometime the shine knocks them off the stage and u get a free upsmash/grab if ur fast and if they shield both shine and usmash the usmash will push them to the ledge.

stretto

Smash Rookie
Ah how could we forget wombo combo lol.. The shine perfectly set up the upsmash to send fox horizontally, however I guess it is only guaranteed on an airborne foe who is on relatively low percent, which is pretty damn situational I agree. But still I would love to see people style with this move every now and then even if its just for teh lulz.

stretto

Smash Rookie
And for Falco, if under a platform then shine upsmash could be good to set up for more stuff rather than shine bair which might let them escape off the side. Just some thoughts

rpotts

Smash Lord
the shine perfectly set up the upsmash to send fox horizontally
The horizontal trajectory of the upsmash is because of Zhu's DI, not because of the shine.
however i guess it is only guaranteed on an airborne foe
Not true, if Fox/Falco miss the tech on shine out of a full run upsmash will connect, you can also connect it on pretty much any char who doesn't fall over to shine.
who is on relatively low percent,
Fox's shine has constant knockback, percentage is irrelevant.
which is pretty damn situational i agree.
True, but not for the reasons you listed.
but still i would love to see people style with this move every now and then even if its just for teh lulz.
People do.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Shine directly to Usmash aka Shine JC U Smash is very easy if you're a technical player. Though it requires some quick fingers to connect the U Smash depending on the character.

Example: If you're running straight at C.Falcon and Shine, you can JC U Smash using the C stick provided you do it quick enough.

Great method to get a kill out of dash dancing. Though not useful at all standing.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Great method to get a kill out of dash dancing. Though not useful at all standing.
I'd just like to mention for clarity that you cannot dash cancel during the initial dash animation, as kirbykaze pointed out.

LazynProud

Smash Rookie
What do you mean it is not safe on shield, As in it is shield grabbable?

It is, you can also jump from the shield for a greater punish if your character can't punish via grab. If you've got the reaction to someone shielding your reflector, I recommend grabbing straight out of the reflector for an effective Fox punish.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
what are you guys talking about? upsmash out of shine is impossible.
??

Salepate is doing this to us everyday XD
It's just no use for shield pressure, and must be used only if you're 100% sure it will connect.
It's not that hard to perform, as u just have to move your controller finger from down to up
(Down B -> Up -> Up A)

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
It's POSSIBLE to do it, but I agree it's situational. It just feels like one of those things that you have to know it's an option, and if you play the game enough, you can think "hey, that's a pretty cool option." But it's really situational since, like in the Wombo Combo, you need to hit them with the top of the shine in front of you a bit, DI a certain way, and then you have to hit them. Nowhere close to optimal for shield pressure (though it could work as a hard-read for a shieldgrab AFTER the shine but even then you'd have to hope they do it slower than frame-perfect), and hitting with a shine on the ground is probably better to waveshine instead and u-smash or JC u-smash as necessary.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
It's basically more a "oh I can tack on a few extra percent in this situation", because most of the time if you could shine usmash, you could just usmash and not risk screwing up. I suppose occasionally it'll let you get a usmash in that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten because of the slight frame advantage from hitting with the shine, but that's not going to happen very often at all.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I'd just like to mention for clarity that you cannot dash cancel during the initial dash animation, as kirbykaze pointed out.
I realize that completely I was referring to afterwards JC U smashing towards the opponent while currently facing the opposite direction.

Black Fire

Smash Rookie
yeah, I never really use shine --> u-smash. I do, like, waveshine --> u-smash a lot, but that's different than what you're talking about. Then again, I haven't been using fox for long

SpaceAnimals

Smash Rookie
I fractured my wrist so I can't test this out for myself, but is it possible to do upsmash out of shine given that upsmash out of shield is possible? If so then how come nobody does it? Triple shine into upsmash would be beastly. Sorry if this has been posted before.

It is absolutely possible and if frame perfect I'm pretty sure it is impossible to DI out of.. Its an option that I've personally used following up a n-air or dash attack if not teched

Last edited:

Mint Alicarth

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure all you do is Shine -> Jump Cancel -> Up-Smash.
The Timing is kind of ridiculous, but with enough practice you should be able to get it down.

As with all hits in Rev 1.02 of Melee, you can DI Up-Smash. the move is NOT frame perfect, but it's close.

Somewhat related:
Shine -> Jump Cancel -> Wavedash -> Up-Smash

http://youtu.be/38EXis5cWJU?t=8m38s

Last edited:

BO/\K

Smash Apprentice
If anyone has trouble with shine upsmash (or upsmash out of shield even), try switching to claw just for it. It's really easy if you claw and like swipe Y and the c stick with a single hand motion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom