• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-B gimp

NorthernGun

Smash Rookie
Hello all. I was playing a match against a decent Ganondorf, and found a pretty reliable gimp that works for virtually all damage ranges. Just checked the thread we have about non-obvious moves, and it wasn't on there, soooo...

Whenever Ganondorf was hanging off of the edge (on FD), I would jump down next to him and do an Up-B. The spring would knock him off of the ledge, and under the stage a bit. Each time I did this, Ganondorf fell to his death from as low as 13%. It really only works on tall characters, though; I tried doing it to Olimar, and I just couldn't get the timing down. However, since Sonic moves directly up after initiating the Up-B, it's possible to catch the ledge, and deny the opponent the ability to catch the ledge again. I can see this working as a quick gimp against all characters with poor horizontal recovery. And since we already have gimps against vertical recovery... this should improve Sonic's gimping game quite a bit.

So there ya go. I don't have the ability to get footage onto the computer, but I'd be willing to elaborate if this is even remotely obscure knowledge. But like I said, I checked the non-obvious moves page, and didn't find it there.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Spring Gimping: Using up-b in the air will cause a spring to generate and fall straight down. If it hits your enemy it will disappear but not before giving them a base 4% damage and knocking them back a little. Due to it being the weakest of all Sonic's gimps, it is usually reserved for gimp combo finishing or against opponents that are far below the stage. It is an obvious and easy to see attack if used at a distance, and if used close up there are almost always better options. Exceptions to this are when you and your enemy are in a heated battle just over the edge of the stage. Using up-b can often result in you returning to safety while your opponent gets unexpectedly knocked into the stage and sent to his/her doom.

Taken straight from the guide. Sorry man.

NorthernGun

Smash Rookie
Right. I saw that whole portion, but it leaves out what I'm talking about. The gimp you quoted is talking about using up-B to gimp someone's recovery when they're far below stage, which is not what I'm talking about. In fact, what you quoted directly says that "if used close up there are almost always better options". But when I was doing it, and afterwards when I went into training to see if there was a better option, there really wasn't. At least, not for the low percentage amounts that I used this from. If you use homing attack or bair, they'll be able to jump back onto the stage; the up-B gimp I was using did not allow Ganondorf to get back on stage. It was effectively a "you're dead", even from 13%.

I'd be fine with someone proving me wrong on this, but I don't feel that what is in the guide accurately describes what I'm talking about. But this *is* more to see if this is a viable and useful gimp for me to use, rather than letting everyone know about it.

Umby

Smash Master
Bair works, as you can actually aim it so that it covers both the ledge and just above the stage. Not to mention you probably just want to go ahead and double jump your bair back onto the stage to give them false security.

Regardless, using Up B to gimp is generally using Up B to gimp, though congrats on finding something that you believe would practically work. I might test it out later just to see.

Browny

Smash Hater
but who honestly hangs on the ledge long enough to wait out invincibility frames? a dsmash/fsmash would probably work better, since it hits people hanging.

although this would work vs anyone with a tether recovery, its probably risky since most tethers will result in a stage spike if you get in the way of the ledge

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hello all. I was playing a match against a decent Ganondorf, and found a pretty reliable gimp that works for virtually all damage ranges. Just checked the thread we have about non-obvious moves, and it wasn't on there, soooo...

Whenever Ganondorf was hanging off of the edge (on FD), I would jump down next to him and do an Up-B. The spring would knock him off of the ledge, and under the stage a bit. Each time I did this, Ganondorf fell to his death from as low as 13%. It really only works on tall characters, though; I tried doing it to Olimar, and I just couldn't get the timing down. However, since Sonic moves directly up after initiating the Up-B, it's possible to catch the ledge, and deny the opponent the ability to catch the ledge again. I can see this working as a quick gimp against all characters with poor horizontal recovery. And since we already have gimps against vertical recovery... this should improve Sonic's gimping game quite a bit.

So there ya go. I don't have the ability to get footage onto the computer, but I'd be willing to elaborate if this is even remotely obscure knowledge. But like I said, I checked the non-obvious moves page, and didn't find it there.
Someone mentioned somewhere that the spring has more knockback at the beginning of the drop, so doing things like FSJ spring can do more knockback. I don't know if it's true or not.

However, to knock someone under the stage, you just have to position yourself on the opposite side of them. w--wait a second...

Off-platform gimp: Spring: any %+ (140%+ for stage spike of (guaranteed) death) [Updated 5/09]
(D-throw/Opponent is under platform height)> Jump off edge > [] Spring
[] Dropping a slow moving projectile ==> easy to dodge.

This really only works for levels where you can go under the edge (Luigi's Mansion, FD, Battlefield... etc)- the spring has to fall on the person from the outside, knocking the person under the stage. Extremely situational.

[update]
If someone is hanging on the ledge where there's a lip (Battlefield, FD, Smashville), dropping a spring on him (but toward the outside)...will result in him getting STAGE SPIKED.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Ledge spiking with the spring gimp is not entirely new, and you'll notice that I said "almost always" because I want people to understand that some amount of flexibility and independent thought is necessary. It would be tedious for me to go over every single possible situation that the spring gimp could be used in so I was just giving a general outline there in the hopes that people would figure out they could do things like what you're talking about on their own.

NorthernGun

Smash Rookie
Very well. I concede the point. TwinkleToes, I wasn't bashing your thread at all. It's a wonderful compilation of tricks you can use. And to Tenki, sorry for just repeating something you've already shared with everyone, and trying to pass it off as my idea.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol it's not really a move I take credit for. The thread's just a collection of noted moves/setups/whatever that finish people off and what %'s they work at.

It needs an update @.@;

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i want to personally thank you for being an adult and handling this situation as such, we need more ppl like you around here. welcome to smashboards and i hope you thoroughly enjoy your stay in the sonic forums

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
i want to personally thank you for being an adult and handling this situation as such, we need more ppl like you around here. welcome to smashboards and i hope you thoroughly enjoy your stay in the sonic forums
Seriously. The Sonic boards have basically been trolling and rampant stupidity for a while. We haven't been advancing much at all. At least if people stop acting ********. (myself included) maybe we can get something accomplished.

Are we going to start a Sonic move of the week discussion?

Browny

Smash Hater
its not only the sonic boards... the lucario boards have turned just plain weird. many boards (MK, wolf) are still as bad as ever lol

and we did have a move of the day discussion... that dies kinda fast though :/ maybe a character matchup every few days or something :////

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
oh I thought the general consensus was that we didn't need it, so it didn't go any further lol.

go post in that thread and we'll try it again @.@
*sighs*

The thing is we DON'T really need it. The only use I could think of that could POSSIBLY spawn from it is know what moves out prioritize what.

Now that I think about that I want to test out Ftilt. It actually HAS priority so maybe we can shut some things down? I know I use to just swipe Samus shots away as Marth. Doesn't Sonic Ftilt out prioritize Marth's sword or something? Maybe we can use it for anti-camping? I don't know.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
But that's the problem. There already IS a matchup thread.

We need something new.
*sighs*

The thing is we DON'T really need it. The only use I could think of that could POSSIBLY spawn from it is know what moves out prioritize what.

Now that I think about that I want to test out Ftilt. It actually HAS priority so maybe we can shut some things down? I know I use to just swipe Samus shots away as Marth. Doesn't Sonic Ftilt out prioritize Marth's sword or something? Maybe we can use it for anti-camping? I don't know.
its not that we need a new thing, its just that we need to stay focused on the things that we already have. and lets face it, brawl isnt that deep, the might just be running dry is all.

but f tilt does have some good range and priority to it. spaced right, its the one thing that can outrange MK. only problem is that MK runs too fast and slides tooo much for it too matter most of the time. but whenever i want to hit through marths sword i just fsmash with the magic gloves.

Top Bottom