• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-Air: what's the deal?

ckm

Smash Journeyman
I see alot of videos of really good MK players using upairs like crazy (particularly when returning to the stage /falling from above). My first thought was that maybe using upair makes you fall slower than just freefalling. I tried to test this and found that if it does, its not by much. So... what's the deal? Thanks in advance.

*EDIT*: i'm not referring to using upairs in an offensive way... im aware that upair is a good attack, and that it can be used to "combo" and juggle in the air. Thats not what im talking about. The players that I see using this do it when the opponent is far away, without hitting anyone. They appear to spam it while falling down from above, and often past the ledge before using a recovery move (like shuttle loop).

ALSO: Until someone proves otherwise, I will assume that stale moves/decay is only reduced when using another move to HIT AN OBJECT. Whiffing with upairs a million times should make no difference.

So far, I have a few responses that are more or less plausible:

1) It increases priority of upair (I personally find this hard to believe)
2) It gives upward DI (but why would you want to do that, unless you were worried about being hit downwards? I usually see ppl do this when the opponent is far away, often on the stage... )
3) It reduces the tumbling animation length (this sounds quite reasonable, but why would you want to use it more than once or twice? Once you have stopped tumbling, theres no reaason to continue doing it, which is what I see people doing)

Any other ideas? Anyone know for sure?

thanks.

acv

Smash Journeyman
you can use it multiple times to hit the opponent and end the combo with a tornado or shuttle loop.about the fall speed i am not sure but i think it makes no difference.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
you can use it multiple times to hit the opponent and end the combo with a tornado or shuttle loop.about the fall speed i am not sure but i think it makes no difference.
im not talking about hitting the opponent with it. Im talking about using it and hitting nothing.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
im not talking about hitting the opponent with it. Im talking about using it and hitting nothing.
i do it only cause it looks cool and is done fast and i think maybe dunno not sure but could also add some priority? because today i was brawlin a toonlink who kept spammin dair -_-' lol and i just upair when i had the chance but kept hittin me then eventaully my upair went through his dair and killed him easy ? could help with priority like using tornado more does.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure it's because you DI up at the same time when you use it and that it comes out so quickly and can be used in rapid succession that it provides a safe barrier while recovering.

metahunter

Smash Apprentice
using a bunch up-airs will get rid of your stale moves, and it also works as extra DI. well thats why i do when falling.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
so is this then done just to DI correctly? I've seen other players do the same thing, but with dair and even fair

ckm

Smash Journeyman
ok... so 2 pages and still no definite answer? cmon, guys...

Top Bottom