• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UofT (Downtown Toronto) Thread

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
good question... cause if i can't come til 1:00pm then i dont think i can make it out on sat =(
and wow... 27"... ..... thats just awesome

Tysons

Smash Rookie
so my parents are coming tonight... they said tomorrow so i can't come
hf bulgy
o well 2 more weeks

CaptainSlow

Smash Rookie
Hey, I just joined Smashboards and was directed to this section.

I'm curious, are you all students @ U of T, because I am.

I know that UTAMA holds casual tourneys.

idea

Smash Master
Hey, I just joined Smashboards and was directed to this section.

I'm curious, are you all students @ U of T, because I am.

I know that UTAMA holds casual tourneys.
No, just a bunch of people living in the GTA...and Mississauga depending on which good people come. I go to York, actually, so I think we're required to hate each other.

...casual tourneys?

CaptainSlow

Smash Rookie
...casual tourneys?

Sort of ad hoc tourneys that are done in conjunction with anime viewings at meetings.

The entire meeting isn't really based around SSB, but it's fun from what I remember. I havn't been in a while b/c of classes & studying.

I probably hate U of T as much as you do lol.

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
Lol, yea, Me and my roomate are both third year UofT. I think my roomate used to go to UTAMA, but he said he didn't find anyone who played smash. If they're holding "casual tourneys" then would it be open to everyone? We'd show up for that considering we live downtown. But so far, the only person from UofT that comes over to play is Tysons. But yea, tell us more about these casual tournies :chuckle:

.A.

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm Anthony (boogers's friend) something came up so I won't be coming today, sorry for taking up a space that someone else could've possibly used.

idea

Smash Master
i've been talking with some ppl on utama (kinda) dc hub and there's some people who at least know techinical skills / can use them or so they claim, but i dunno how good they really are. I'm def going to the utama thing cuz they claim "we'll have soem good ppl"
http://z7.invisionfree.com/utama/index.php?showtopic=1571
reading through that link, i get the distinct impression that there will be girls there.

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
Lol, there's plenty of girls at UofT events. But if you really wanted to see girls, there's always the private UofT Strip Club, organized by rich spoiled students as part of a underground club at UofT where they get girls to strip for them for free every week 0.o.
Just putting it out there, lol. Not that ppl would want to go that that or anything :rolleyes:

*note: correct me if I'm wrong. But I think the best SSB64 player in UTAMA for St. George campus is a girl. Despite the fact that all she does is u-air with falcon >___<.

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
Lol, yea, that was a random post.

But I don't think any pros. will be going to this since there basically won't be any real cash prizes at this tourney. They're gonna pocket most of the cash and supplement the prizes with donations that they receive from anime shops.

Lol, in fact, the only reason I'm going to this UTAMA event is cus it's one of the last places where a noob like me can go and still have a chance to win :chuckle:

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
Btw guys, I think that $2 doubles tourney went alright considering it was the first one I hosted. Next time though, it'd be fun to have a crew battle tourney. Would be really really interesting.
I'll try my best to drag Bernard, Ryan and Mike out as well as Nate to the next one since we need more practice against them :bee:.

^^^Btw, if any of you guys are reading this then yes, there will be money involved in the next one as well most likely, so there's no reason for you guys to not come :p

CaptainSlow

Smash Rookie
Lol, there's plenty of girls at UofT events. But if you really wanted to see girls, there's always the private UofT Strip Club, organized by rich spoiled students as part of a underground club at UofT where they get girls to strip for them for free every week 0.o.
Just putting it out there, lol. Not that ppl would want to go that that or anything :rolleyes:
unm.............

no, just no.

idea

Smash Master
Soo...can anyone tell me who they are? There were a lot of new people at the last event. (I was the lesser Jigglypuff/Kyle)

And, dear UTAMA people (because I can't post on your forum) - i'm probably going =P it sounds very fun. i'm not a pro, but still, that's one more person! and maybe others will confirm themselves too, now that i've bumped this thread.

Edit: Why is it 4 AM...

and :samus: the person who chose these emoticons is a genius. :rocket:

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I'm thinking of going to that UTAMA event (lol girls in maid costumes....)

Oh no! Does that mean I've ruined the tournament!? (lol like those guys said about me participating in the doubles tournament)

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking of going to that UTAMA event (lol girls in maid costumes....)

Oh no! Does that mean I've ruined the tournament!? (lol like those guys said about me participating in the doubles tournament)
Lol, it'd be good if you came though. I'd still wanna play you in some friendlies :)

Haha, maybe even the girls in maid costumes would distract you enough to give me a opportunity to take some cheap k.o's :chuckle:

Oh, and I'll see if I can host another smashfest between midterms and exams.

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
Alright, I played with Averance(Yang) today and got some info from him that I think might help you guys out a bit.

UTAMA Tournament (There's gonna be Smash as well as Halo 3).

Date: March 8th, Saturday
Time: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Room: Bahan Center Rooms # 2145, 2155, and 2165
Building: Bahan Center, 40 St. George street

Rules:
***These are just tentative rules which they used last year, these may be subject to change by the organizers for this coming event***
-Single Elimination
-Best out of 1 game will be played
-All matches will be played on final destination
-No stalling matches (ex: peach wallbombing)

I'm not sure if they'll have 2v2 in this tournament or if it'll be like last year where it's only 1v1, but I'm definetly gonna post on their thread to suggest for a 2v2 as well.

To register now, you can e-mail utama@utoronto.ca. I'll make a complete thread on it's own about this once I can get more info

Edit: Place and time info now updated. This event is now on facebook as well. http://utoronto.facebook.com/event.php?eid=10812902787

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
Just a reminder guys, if you wanna attend this tourny, then you should reserve a spot asap, there's only 32 spots available in total.

>>>Just out of curiosity, who's going to this tourny?? Kyle, Mike and Nate so far. I wouldn't mind have a few practice/warmup rounds at my place if anyone's interested.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I'd be down for that.

And also, what are the entrance fee/prizes? It doesn't seem to say anything about either.

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
And also, what are the entrance fee/prizes? It doesn't seem to say anything about either.
I think (the keyword is think here) that the entrance fee is probably gonna be like $5, but I'm not totally sure. Prizes should be comprised of gift certificates and merchandies from the businesses that are sponsoring them this year.

I posted on their forums asking them for tournament format and specific rules, as well as whether there will be a 2v2 event or not. But I have not yet received a reply. Though, looking at some of the rules from last year, they will mostly not be using standard rules.

Edit: Here's something else that I found that I think would help. This is the basic times.

To Preregister:
Send an e-mail to utama@utoronto.ca with your full name and the tournament that you wish to enter (can choose both).

H3 tourney sign-in and registration: 10am - 10:30am
H3 tourney start: 10:30am SHARP
# of spots available: TBA
Entry fee: TBA

SSBM tourney sign-in and registration: 1pm - 2pm
SSBM tourney start: 2pm SHARP
# of spots available: 32
Entry fee: TBA

>>So if your not joining up for Halo3 in the morning, then you won't have to show up till between 1:00-1:50pm.

Tzunami

Smash Cadet