• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I could understand that, but it would be at least fair to respond properly and not leave the conversation like a bandit.
I don’t know about others, but I know I don’t much like getting into arguments online. Sometimes it’s tough to see if one side or the other is coming off as hostile, so I usually just play it safe and let things go if it’s obvious that nobody’s going to change their minds.

I also don’t want to take over entire threads with back-to-back arguments.

Maybe people aren't bailing out of malice; they might not know you’d like to continue the discussion. It is sometimes tough to tell when you’re not face-to-face.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don’t know about others, but I know I don’t much like getting into arguments online. Sometimes it’s tough to see if one side or the other is coming off as hostile, so I usually just play it safe and let things go if it’s obvious that nobody’s going to change their minds.

I also don’t want to take over entire threads with back-to-back arguments.

Maybe people aren't bailing out of malice; they might not know you’d like to continue the discussion. It is sometimes tough to tell when you’re not face-to-face.
I mean, I would like to continue discussions, but when I do write several notable points that could go against or benefit a newcomer's inclusion then the discussion holds off from the other user, I feel like they just don't want to waste the time responding to me because its hard to argue against my points. :/

I try being the nicest I can to have a good Smash speculation discussion, but then it ends up in a cliffhanger almost every time.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I mean, I would like to continue discussions, but when I do write several notable points that could go against or benefit a newcomer's inclusion then the discussion holds off from the other user, I feel like they just don't want to waste the time responding to me because its hard to argue against my points. :/

I try being the nicest I can to have a good Smash speculation discussion, but then it ends up in a cliffhanger almost every time.
Some people may just not reply when they feel that they've 'lost' in the discussion, have exhausted their talking points, or have just lost interest in the conversation.

Doesn't excuse them ditching the conversation, but those are the best 'reasons' I could think of as to why they would.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

In that case, I apologize for misreading the conversation. I know I’ve dropped arguments before, particularly in the RTC thread - next tome I’ll continue.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Sometimes in conversations you just reach a point where you know you're not going to change the other's guys mind and it's just a waste of time to try.

Nothing wrong with dropping out of conversations like that.

D

Deleted member

I think all of these "5 newcomers we'll definitely see in Smash Ult!" videos on youtube are kinda dumb because I find it pretty unrealistic and unreasonable to expect much more than 3 newcomers for a game like this.

I hope that, as the Mii blog post implies, the old custom move system is done and over with and that we'll never see it again. If anything, future moveset customizations should be akin to the new Miis where you chose a set of 3 akin to the supermove choices in Street Fighter.

I kinda like Ganondorf's TP design better than his OoT one. Especially the Ganon variant.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Fire Emblem should add sword fighters only. Lance and axe are a waste of time

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sometimes in conversations you just reach a point where you know you're not going to change the other's guys mind and it's just a waste of time to try.

Nothing wrong with dropping out of conversations like that.
I might be firm on my speculation stances, but that does not mean I cannot change my mind if the other user can bring interesting new points. I had my mind changed on Bandanna Dee, Elma, and Lycanroc when I had some discussion with their supporters, and I want more of that, as that make speculation exciting.

Though usually for me, when people start discussions and see at the other’s perspective, that is as far as it goes and they give up without looking deeper into why the person feels a certain way with a specific aspect of Smash speculation. :9

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Except I won't.
I could go on, but it's clear that your only intention is to troll me, so I won't feed you.

You misunderstood me.
When I say "I will appriciate the work done on the game", I mean that I won't go out of my way and say "this is the worst game ever" or harass the developers like the Waluigi fans on Twitter. I will still be able to see a good game when I look at Smash Ultimate, just one that isn't for me, and therefore I wouldn't buy it.
there is 66 plus characters to pick from and one character you could just ignore will make you pass up a game that otherwise you be interested in?

D

Deleted member 269706

Way too many characters. Should've been cut down to about 30~

Coup-per

Smash Rookie
Hi there! Are you afraid to have an opinion because you'll be overlooked and disagreed with? Then this thread is the place for you! Share those opinions that you'd typically get flamed for. It can be about game mechanics, modes, characters, stages, Sakurai in general, so long as it pertains to this upcoming Smash game.

The Golden Rule: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTERS' OPINIONS. This is NOT a debate thread. Do not post on here if you're going to attack/debate someone for their opinion. If you disagree with somebody and can't follow this rule, I will be upset, and that's probably the worst thing you can do on here (plus I'll totally tell on you and report).

I'll start us off with some controversial opinions:
  • I wish Sakurai stopped being Director of Smash and worked on other series like Kid Icarus, I feel he's too tied down for Smash and can do better things as a director.
  • This game is running a risk of being incredibly unbalanced due to roster size, and I hope that we don't have a huge amount of newcomers in this next game.
  • I enjoy the clone characters, and I think we can keep them for this upcoming game.
  • I'll be upset if they take out Smash Run.
  • Sora has a good chance as a 3rd party DLC fighter.

Share your opinions!
Cloud, Bayonetta, Corrin, and Lucina are terrible roster choices, first two are over powered, Lucina should've been a suit option for Marth, Corrin because we don't need more Fire Emblem characters. Also Dark Pit should be a color change for regular Pit. Let's get Dr. Robotnik in there, without making him heavy Browser Junior. Shadow would be a lousy choice too, as he'd be a total Sonic clone.

I'll give my 2 cents.
  • I do not give a **** about "reps" and they should never be the reason for a character to be included. I couldn't care less if a series is "underrepresented" - if there's no character from that series that can get in for their own merits, it shouldn't recieve a newcomer.
  • On the same note, I wouldn't mind if Mario, Pokemon or (puts on a ****proof vest) Fire Emblem got a newcomer as long as they're unique enough. In fact the former 2 both have a character that I'm actively rooting for.
  • Mimikyu getting in might actually kill my hype for the game. It may come off as immature but I don't want to say that it won't happen because I don't want to make promises that I can't keep.
  • 3rd party characters aren't added for marketing a game in their series that just came out on a Nintendo system. It never happened.
  • I'm not opposed to him but Geno doesn't have a shot in hell.
  • Bandana Dee is a better choice for a Kirby newcomer than Marx (No, I'm not opposed to Marx).
  • Susie is also a better choice for a Kirby newcomer than Marx.
  • I would love a new story mode that actually explains how all the characters ended up in the same world at the first place... And I want all of the villains to team up.
  • Unless I actively dislike the character or the series they're from, I have no problem with any character inclusion.
  • On the same note, if I like a character and think they're interesting, I will likely at least consider supporting them, regardless of wether Nintendo owns them or not.
  • I don't want any cuts and I cannot believe I'm on the minority.
That's it for now.
I like Smash 4 for 3DS better than Melee.

Nakamura

Smash Cadet
Toon Link is more exciting than Young Link

id be fine with only 3 newcomers.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
People are taking Sakurai at his word too much and underestimating the amount of newcomers. Even if we include the returning veterans from Melee and Brawl and Inkling and Ridley then that is 7 new characters in total. That is 7 less than Melee's 14 which had a 13 month development cycle and a much smaller team than what they have today. I'd expect at least 6 more unique newcomers.

The new zoom in pause KO effect worries me right know because while it does look cool for the time being I fear that it would get old the more we see it, especially in tournaments when it pops up but someone DI's out of it. It also gives players a lot of time to DI out of it.

Last edited:

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Smash Bros Wii U's roster was the most underwhelming one for me, none of the characters caused any hype to me, I just bought it because it was the next smash and that's it.
I didn't like Smash Run that much just because the time limit didn't let me enjoy completely the mode.
I got the 3ds version and I still hate that it didn't have any events.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Some of my opinions, not about Ultime but for the Saga. Hope it don't mind.
-Falco never should make it to Smash. He's not so important and his returning it's only because he reached the high tiers in Melee. My view.
-Trophy selection is pure crap. Only Melee was fine.
-All Star Mode is exhausting. The mode will need a rebuild.
-Sakurai made very bad decisions as Pichu self-damage, Fire Emblem over-representation, stupid modes, or some of his 'visions' about characters , for example the Kongs or Bowser voices.
-Sub-Space Emissary was as edgy and ridiculous as 'Shadow the Hedgehog' intro. An epic no-sense with horrible enemy designs and a final boss who looks like a bad joke, a nude dude with the Windows Media Player screen as skin.
-In Smash 4 we reached the bottom of the barrel choosing characters. No many cool options for add left and many of the fighters left over.
-Melee is broken. Four characters are top tier and the rest are bull----, even for informal gaming, not only competitive.
-Sheik as independent fighter makes no sense for me, there's more one-shot Zelda characters who could make a different moveset too. Like Falco, I only understand it by her past popularity.
-Peach should look more cartoony.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
- smash 4 had great newcomers
- hate bayo got into smash ( who needs sarah palin in the roster anyway)
- would rather not have all characters comeback if the cost was the newcomers
- sakurai is not biased

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
Marx is a likely DLC choice, especially due to Star Allies sales.
Kumatora and other Final Smash characters still have a chance due to the Fox/Falco fiasco.
Ninten isn't going to happen, looks too much like Ness
Shadow would have to be a semi-clone to fit in Smash.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Controversial opinions of the series as a whole:

-Lucina and Toon Link are terrible additions to the roster. These 2 are the only characters that I'd have no problem seeing them cut as their own characters even though I am against cuts.

-While I like Bayonetta and her franchise, I don't think she deserves to be in Smash (and no it's not due to her OP status in Smash 4).

-The sword user argument is completely stupid and has no ground to stand on to go against an inclusion. Might as well remove Mario or Fox or Falcon due to using their arms and legs...

-I prefer Twilight Princess Ganondorf over Ocarina Ganondorf (I do like Ocarina Ganondorf quite a bit, just simply prefer Twilight Princess Ganondorf).

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Kinda dissapointed to Green Hill Zone returning as a stage for the Sonic series again. I don't hate the stage but there are so many more interesting and cooler locations in the Sonic games that would be fun to fight on. Who here would be down for a City Escape stage? Or maybe a Rooftop Run stage? Tropical Resort? Hydro City? Press Garden?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bayonetta was the most hype guest fighter reveal after Sonic for me.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Bayonetta was the most hype guest fighter reveal after Sonic for me.
Got me to finally play the Bayonetta games, and MAN they are good! Her inclusion was worth it for that alone!

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I’ll admit that I’ve never played a Banjo Kazooie game, but are they really that needed? I often hear the fans themselves say that the first installment is the only good one, and how Tooie and Nuts and Bolts are either hit-or-miss or flat-out awful. Do we really need a dead character from a dead franchise? I can’t see them bringing anything too unique to the table either. Also, Banjo looks kinda ugly lol

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
People are not upset that Sakurai is biased. Everyone is biased. People are upset that he isn't biased in the same way they are.

A lot of the "Sakurai would never ..." discussion is pointless anyway because it all seems to work on the idea that Sakurai does absolutely everything hisself and lives in a glass bubble where he never interacts with anyone. I feel safe in saying that he has friends and talks to the people working on the games. People can influence your decissions. You could say he would never include Mouser from Super Mario 2 because he's said in an interview he doesn't think the character could work, but if somebody gave him a really great idea for Mouser or one of his hardest workers was a big Mouser fan, he might just change his mind.

People also put far too much empahsis on "the rules" of who isn't allowed to be in Smash Bros when they were never more than unwritten vague guidelines at best. I do understand following them as a forum though, but that's mainly just so we don't have dozens of threads about Drew Carey, Johnny Depp, or some minor supporting cast member in a Tenchi Muyo spinoff.

I think the best argument against "we can't include _______ because they're too obscure in the West/Japan" is "okay. Two characters. obscure Japan guy and obscure west guy. We have room for both Ayumi Tachibana and Mike Jones.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
I’ll admit that I’ve never played a Banjo Kazooie game, but are they really that needed? I often hear the fans themselves say that the first installment is the only good one, and how Tooie and Nuts and Bolts are either hit-or-miss or flat-out awful. Do we really need a dead character from a dead franchise? I can’t see them bringing anything too unique to the table either. Also, Banjo looks kinda ugly lol
Well, since you clearly asked, let me answer you.
Imo, the first 2 games were really good for their time both Kazooie and Tooie had really awesome worlds. My personal favorite is Banjo-Tooie as it has more diversity in levels, bosses, ways of obtaining jiggies and difficulty overall. I spent years trying to complete the game (no internet back then). Nuts and Bolts was a way different gamestyle compared to the first ones and, I, personally didn't like it at all.
Now, are they necessary in smash? No. They would be an awesome addition that would be well received by many fans by nostalgia and because they were one of the best games for the Nintendo 64, but if Sakurai decides not to include them, nothing will happen, no riots nor hate tweets to Sakurai.
I believe that if Rare had never been bought by Microsoft we could be talking of a second or third representative for BK.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I dont like Sakurai directing and forcing all that he thinks in the game. I dont think he is always right and I think he restricts the evolution of the series in some areas, like the singleplayer/cooperative content.
Just look to Smash Tour on the main menu of Smash4, and all the secondary game modes of the game.. they are all super small or irrelevant or boring.

I think Sakurai is great as a director for keep the core gameplay of the game really polished, but I think he is terrible to create different, better game modes, that give some progress feeling. I dislike basically all secondary game modes of Smash games and I think some of them are just almost good or have good ideas, but they are never great big game modes to enjoy if you are tired of the core gameplay at some moment, and most of them are just too small to be fun or make no sense at all in invest time to play (...smash tour...).
Even Subspace Emissary, that was a try to make a campaign, I think it suffer of terrible lack of quality, level design and direction.
So, I would like if other game modes were added in the game, specially a campaign mode, but this game mode being not directed by Sakurai.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
- I don't really care for secondary modes and would rather sakurai put more effort in newcomers

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I think that some people are kinda underestimating the number of unique newcomers we'll be getting. While I most definitely don't think we can expect around 10 more (besides Inkling and Ridley), expecting only 2-3 more is a tad too conservative. I don't want too come across as expecting too much but I think that 6-7 more unique newcomers isn't too unrealistic. The main appeal of a new Smash iteration is its newcomers and while Ultimate may be a special case due to every veteran coming back, it wouldn't make sense, both from a creative and a business standpoint, only to bring along 4 new unique movesets along the way.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
The only way subspace 2 would be good is if it wound up being the quickest way to unlock everyone.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
i could care less about a story mode honestly
Probably because we never had a good one! They have never been great on the series, but potential to do it in a game like this, that have the biggest crossover with so many great games and characters... The potential for a great campaign, or better singleplayer/coop modes to play when you are tired of the regular smash gameplay, is just huge.

That's why I think the game needs a different director for these extra modes.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Micro games are garbage that belongs on phones and their "characters" don't deserve to be in Smash.

D

Deleted member

there is 66 plus characters to pick from and one character you could just ignore will make you pass up a game that otherwise you be interested in?
I'd like to think I changed for the better. I'll still buy the game even if Mimikyu is in, even if I'd be super salty (and I WILL be).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Micro games are garbage that belongs on phones and their "characters" don't deserve to be in Smash.
You leave Wario alone.

- I don't really care for secondary modes and would rather sakurai put more effort in newcomers
Seconding this. Outside 8 player Smash, I don't think I even bother playing anything else. Events are neat I guess? Classic is okay and I guess I like the trophy room, but honestly you could strip everything down to the core game and I'd be fine with it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm okay with any single player mode returning except Melee's excuse of an Adventure Mode. That glorified Classic mode can stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom