• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The way the :4miif::4mii: were included in Smash is among the most creative and well thought ones in the series.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I don't want any ARMS playable characters. It would just feel like every new Nintendo game is making new characters just so they can get into Smash. It should feel like a character has earned a spot rather than just existing in as a Nintendo IP. Inklings have earned their inclusion because both of their games are incredibly successful and popular games. ARMS is just too new and not too loved (no offense, I know it has fans).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Subspace Emissary is much better than Adventure Mode in Melee, especially its neutral setting.
Stage hazards is better than just getting different platforms.
Smash have more than enough villains and doesn't need to add more.
I'm fine with echoes but they should have their own numbers. It's unfair they didn't because overreacting fans.

Kaberman

Smash Rookie
I don't think "X franchise is fine with just Y reps" or is a good reason to deny a character.
Yeah which is why it's an unpopular opinion.

I'm not going to lie i just don't like the character design in X and 2. I managed to stand it for most of X but i dropped 2 after the second town.

D

Deleted member

Yeah which is why it's an unpopular opinion.

I'm not going to lie i just don't like the character design in X and 2. I managed to stand it for most of X but i dropped 2 after the second town.
It wasn't directed towards you.
It's an actual opinion I have.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Here's one:

I don't like the items/ATs/costumes/etc that are literally just sprites from old games. I'd much rather see what they'd look like in modern-day graphics.

I can't deny I'm a little upset that Dededes wonderful green alt in Brawl was replaced with that washed-out one with the pixel Dees on the sash in 4. I don't like it. I don't like Lucas' costumes with the sprites and I don't like Ness' Mr. Saturn costume. I really wish if they did stuff like that, they'd do it more like Ness' Master Belch alt.

D

Deleted member

I liked SSE's Great Maze.

I'd go even further by saying the next Adventure mode should go on the same Metroidvania way.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'd go even further by saying the next Adventure mode should go on the same Metroidvania way.
Man, me too. There is something fun about going through all this levels and fights one after another. I know it's filler but it was still enjoyable to play, especially if you don't need to hurry.

Same or similar style would be great and I'd vastly prefer it to Melee's Adventure Mode. Platforming really fits Smash characters. Smash Run was also fine but no time limit option would be cool.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I thought that the Subspace Emissary in Brawl was a bland, uninteresting waste of time and development resources, and I am extremely happy that it doesn't look like we're getting one in Ultimate.

I have a theory that people didn't like SSE: they liked the idea of SSE. They liked the idea of seeing all the Avengers-style character interactions. The idea of the worlds colliding. That's not what we got though. We got a bunch of characters, most of who had little to no personality, slapped into a setting that felt generic and uninspired. The story was convoluted to the point where Sakurai had to make blog posts just to explain what the hell was going on.

If Sakurai wants to make an adventure experience, he should stick to standalone games. Kid Icarus: Uprising was great, so much so that it's hard to believe that it came from the same guy who made SSE.

On a related note, Melee style adventure mode or riot

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I thought that the Subspace Emissary in Brawl was a bland, uninteresting waste of time and development resources, and I am extremely happy that it doesn't look like we're getting one in Ultimate.

I have a theory that people didn't like SSE: they liked the idea of SSE. They liked the idea of seeing all the Avengers-style character interactions. The idea of the worlds colliding. That's not what we got though. We got a bunch of characters, most of who had little to no personality, slapped into a setting that felt generic and uninspired. The story was convoluted to the point where Sakurai had to make blog posts just to explain what the hell was going on.

If Sakurai wants to make an adventure experience, he should stick to standalone games. Kid Icarus: Uprising was great, so much so that it's hard to believe that it came from the same guy who made SSE.

On a related note, Melee style adventure mode or riot
I agree with a lot of this, but they did a great job of showing characters' personalities through animations alone. You can see that Samus is compassionate through her reaction to seeing Pikachu's torture or when she lowers her gun at the Ancient Minister, or pretty much exactly how Lucas feels about Ness, Pokemon Trainer and Wario.

Also, I think the story needing explanation is more because there is no expository dialogue, not because it is convoluted. Not to mention due to time constraints they had to actually cut a few scenes from the story that explain certain things.

The story is...actually painfully linear.

But yeah, a Melee style Adventure Mode would be so much better to actually play.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Unpopular opinion:
KI:U is incredibly poorly written, stuff happens out of nowhere all the time, stuff gets made up on the fly, the characters are obnoxious and unlikable and nearly all the humor is reliant on video game references with zero subtlety.

To extend this to Smash, the Palutenas Guidance skits are REALLY BORING. At least half of them is just Palutena giving Pit some real basic tips for how to fight his foes. They're just obnoxious.

To top it off, the current designs of the KI cast isn't nearly as good as their NES-era counterparts. Yeesh, I do not like that franchise!

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't want any ARMS playable characters. It would just feel like every new Nintendo game is making new characters just so they can get into Smash. It should feel like a character has earned a spot rather than just existing in as a Nintendo IP. Inklings have earned their inclusion because both of their games are incredibly successful and popular games. ARMS is just too new and not too loved (no offense, I know it has fans).
I think Twintelle (or, to a lesser extent, Dr. Coil) are interesting characters to add, because they essentially have extra limb(s). I guess other ARMS characters could just use kicks for close attacks while their arms are extended, but I think there's potential with these two for more creative movesets.

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
The every one is here thing really isn’t that cool it’s just to get ppl to freak out about snake more and plus WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WANTED PICHU BACK?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The every one is here thing really isn’t that cool it’s just to get ppl to freak out about snake more and plus WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WANTED PICHU BACK?
I wanted Pichu back.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And here's my opinion. Just because there's a tiny amouny of fan demand, doesn't mean it deserves to come back.

There is fan demand for literally everything. If sandbag was playable, he'd probably have his own fans too.

If a character doesn't bring anything substantial to Smash, maybe they were cut for a good reason and maybe they shouldn't return.

Last edited:

Yeld

Smash Rookie
The idea of "reps" is stupid.

Shiek should not be in the game to "represent Ocarina of Time".
Shiek should be in the game, because she is a damn cool character with a unique playstyle.

Let's say you want K.Rool in the game:
If "Because we need another DK rep!" or "Because we need more villains!" is the best reason you have for his inclusion, then you really have nothing at all.

Newcomers like Inkling, Ridley, Simon and Ryu Hayabusa all bring a fresh new style to the game - which should be more important than made-up quotas.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To top it off, the current designs of the KI cast isn't nearly as good as their NES-era counterparts. Yeesh, I do not like that franchise!
Not that I'm criticising your opinion, but how come you dislike their current designs? I'm genuinely interested in knowing why?

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Not that I'm criticising your opinion, but how come you dislike their current designs? I'm genuinely interested in knowing why?
Just aesthetical preference.

It feels like very generic anime. For a series rooted in the greek mythos, I'd just sorta hope you'd do something a bit more unique, maybe draw from ancient greek artwork but splice in a few modern sensibilities.

Now I know there's a few more monstrous/strange designs in the series that I'd probably even have praise for, but the core casts designs bore me.

To top it off, I feel Hades is one of the most cluttered character designs I've ever laid eyes on. I'm sorry, but the guy looks like clown vomit. Additionally, the Hades from the original mythos, while lord of the dead, isn't really a bad guy (in fact, he was the only greek god who was loyal to his wife), so it's kinda sad to me that every portrayal of him in any form of media makes him the bad guy.

Of course, it's all just personal preference. If you dig it, I'm glad you can enjoy something I cannot. It'd be boring if we all thought the same.

Donkey_Butter

Smash Rookie
We could use a few more heavy weight characters so :ultbowser::ultdk::ultkingdedede:and :ultganondorf: won’t be so out numbered with all the more balanced or faster characters. Of course I don’t know how any slow heavy weight characters could win against fast characters such as :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultcorrin: and:ultroy:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We could use a few more heavy weight characters so :ultbowser::ultdk::ultkingdedede:and :ultganondorf: won’t be so out numbered with all the more balanced or faster characters. Of course I don’t know how any slow heavy weight characters could win against fast characters such as :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultcorrin: and:ultroy:
Well we just got one more in :ultridley:

Routa

Smash Lord
Changing Wario's DA into Shoulder Bash is a horrible idea.
Current DA:
-frame 4 move
-most consistent 2 framing move due to long lasting hitbox
-combos into Waft
-trips and jablocks enemies
-is a reference to one of the Wario's victory animations in Super Mario Strikers

D

Deleted member

I wish Smashboards added a Dislike option alongside the Like one.

Last edited by a moderator:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
If King Hippo or any other Punch-Out boxer got in they shouldn't be counted as ''villains.''
They are just boxers, competing in a tournament. They are just doing their best okay?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Doesn’t want to change :ultganondorf: B moves after TWO games cause fans might of got use to it.

changes :ultlink: boomarang twice, removes his grab what he had for FOUR games changes his bombs what he FOUR games His Bow for... uh THREE games

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Doesn’t want to change :ultganondorf: B moves after TWO games cause fans might of got use to it.

changes :ultlink: boomarang twice, removes his grab what he had for FIVE games changes his bombs what he Five games His Bow for... uh FOUR games
Is this supposed to be an opinion?

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I don’t like the new blastzones indicator and the huge remaining stocks numbers, they feel unnecessary and i hope there’s an option to toggle them off.

D

Deleted member

Requests for having Beast Ganon never made sense to me, and I suspect them to come from people who still aren't satisfied on :ultganondorf:'s moveset.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
People who want/think there will be a story mode don't really understand the amount of effort it would take, especially since Sakurai is making a very big deal out of how difficult it is to develop and balance all of these characters, and are thus setting themselves up for disappointment.

Besides, I'd much rather have something with replayability like Adventure Mode than something I'll slog through once and never touch again like SSE.

Last edited:

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
I think hazard toggle is super overrated. Everyone keeps saying how it'll make all these levels playable competitively as long as there isn't a walk-off. But I feel like so many people don't understand how stages work fundamentally. Walls, ceilings, platform and blast zone locations can still hurt a stage's viability in tournaments. I'm afraid people put will put so much faith in hazard toggle they will lose sight of what makes a good competitive stage list and we are either going to get some janky stages used in tournaments and/or we are going to have too many stages used in tournaments that it will deeply hurt competitive play.

Sort of related but I think a large stage list for competitive is a horrible idea. Even if the stages themselves aren't horrible I think it'll create a meta shift that highly favors characters that excel with platforms and will significantly hurt any character that benefits from FD or similar stages.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
More Unpopular opinions.

- Melee's Adventure Mode wasn't very fun at all. It was an OK novelty, but became a chore to do to get all the trophies.

- I really don't care much for bonus modes like Target Test, Home Run Contest, Board The Platforms, Etc. Unless there's a reward for doing them, I mostly just ignore these features.

- Smash Tour was one of the best modes added in a long time. It mixed things up enough and the final battle at the end was very satisfying to make use of the power-ups and characters you collect along the way.

- Omega and Battlefield forms for stages do not excite me in the slightest. It's a fine feature for others, but I'll mostly leave it untouched.

- I miss the old Sudden Death. Avoiding RNG Bob-Ombs was a lot more fun than the slow zoom-in that Ulmiate has replaced it with.

- Final Smashes have been going downhill. Kirby and Dedede's Brawl FS will always be superior to their Smash 4 or Ultimate ones.

- Stickers were better than Smash 4's custom upgrades. It was so much fun to see what artwork the used for the power-up system and I liked the concept of having to fit them on the bottom of the trophy base as a means to balance their use.

- Custome moves were OK, but I rather Miis be the only customizable fighter this time. Palutena should have never had so many unique abilities.

- I will not be happy if another character gets "counter" as a Down Special, there are too many who do that already. Palutena should have lost hers, it's not even part of her character or series.

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
1) I think the damage increase in 1v1's is horrible. It will create inconsistency for combos for every character. Changing the way dmg is dealt between singles and doubles is essentially saying 'the game doesn't function well enough in doubles and singles as is so we need to make an adjustment.' I think the fact sm4sh competitive was 2 stock for singles and 3 stock for doubles showed this inconsistency. Instead of fixing the issue which is it takes to long to get someone from 0% to KO'ed they are simply just upping the dmg so that singles matches don't drag on as much.
I haven't played it to have a real strong opinion on what exactly they should do about the dmg but I feel like they might be better off just keeping that increased dmg across the board, not just singles but FFA, doubles, etc.

2) Everyone is here was only exciting in that Konami allowed Snake again. Ice Climbers were only not in sm4sh bc the 3ds couldn't handle it. Characters like Pichu were dropped for unpopularity. Young Link was only dropped bc of redundancy of Toon Link and if it weren't for Windwaker HD Young Link would have been a better call than Toon Link for sm4sh. Wolf was only dropped bc Star Fox games have not sold well. If Ultimate didn't exist and the 3ds could handle it I think all fighters would have returned eventually as more DLC in sm4sh.

3) Things like adventure mode, classic, all-star, home run contest, board the platforms, break the targets are all fun for some people but not one of them is necessary nor should be a priority.

4) The term "echo fighters" is a cop-out and a way for them to release "new" characters like Dixie or Dark Samus and avoid the backlash of their movesets not being unique.

5) Even though I like the fact old characters are returning and we have a few new ones and there's likely to be more still, none of the characters coming to Ultimate that weren't in sm4sh excite me as far as 'oh, I might main that character.'

6) I've never played a fire emblem game in my life but I think they should have given some of the characters a weapon that wasn't a sword. IDK if they all only use swords in their games but thinks like a spear for Roy or an axe for Ike would have at least given some more variety. I think Robin's moveset is unique but the zig-zag sword is still a sword and Corrin's chain saw sword is just a sword. Since counter with characters not named Bayo and maybe Corrin isn't that great a move they really could have given FE characters different down specials (though I'm sure that's actually prob a popular opinion).

7) Slow motion for strong hits in 1v1's is a horrible idea. I'm not 100% sure but I'd guess it gives you all the time in the world to get amazing DI on the hit and it's actually going to be less hype bc more people are going to survive the big hits BC the time frame they have to execute DI or potentially amsah techs if they are in the game.

8) The mini map that pops up when someone is far off from the main stage isn't great and it makes it easier for someone to continue their edge guard and doesn't help the person recovering at all. It's just generally unnecessary.

9) Great Plateau Tower is not a great stage, the cave of life is easily abused and the hazard toggle creating a permanent ceiling is stupid. It should be a regular platform you can pass through, then the stage would be fine and would be in competitive. As is, I hope nobody wastes the time of trying it out in competitive.

10) The Ultimate theme song, not that great. It's not bad, but I'm not wowed by it.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

This would actually pretty cool as it's own mode. This can actually be used as an alternative way to unlock the characters in the game if you don't want to do the unlock methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom