• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Since I usually like to go in depth with these kinds of things, and this is a place where I can actually kind of rant, I'm going to probably use this post here as a master post for myself that I'll keep updating with my (brutally) honest opinions on most veterans and potential newcomers, and other things in Smash Bros aside from them.

Just to keep it from becoming a huge mess since I'm very likely gonna have long rants about some things, I'm gonna section it off in some way to keep it actually easy to read and not have it become a straight up "botch job" as Frank Reynolds would call it.

:4mario:: I am not a fan of FLUDD at all, it's pretty much a waste of a move in my eyes and should've been replaced in Smash 4 with the spin from Galaxy, or the Ground Pound. Either way, I really hope we get a bunch of changes to Mario's moves based off of Odyssey and gets revoiced or has Odyssey voice clips instead to make him sound a bit more lively.
:4fox:: I've heard that Mike West was potentially sick when he was voicing Fox for Smash 4, and I feel bad for him, but most of the time when I hear Fox's voice in Smash 4, I die a little on the inside. PLEASE REVOICE HIM.
:4jigglypuff:: I'll be straight with you. I REALLY DISLIKE JIGGLYPUFF. Not to the point of outright hatred, though. I've never been a fan of her inclusion in Smash Bros. whatsoever and have always wished deep down that she'd get cut. I understand the argument that she's part of the original 12, and is still kinda iconic and has a bunch of fans too, but to me, she hasn't been relevant since Gen 2, and definitely seems like a flavor of the month Pokémon that should've got scrapped going into Brawl in favor of Mewtwo, who's consistently been very popular and kind of relevant. Not to mention, I'm not sure if Sakurai is really the biggest fan of her anymore either, because of how she was likely added to Brawl after Sonic, and would've got cut if it weren't for that delay. Plus, she's been consistently at the bottom of the tier list after Melee. Oh, and Gen 1 is overrepped, and I'd always cut her before Charizard or Mewtwo.
:4samus:: I'd love to see a bunch of changes to her moveset based off of Samus Returns, her moveset now feels pretty bland in Smash and she could definitely use the Aeon abilities, the ice beam, the melee counter, and a couple of other things in her moveset.
:4link:: I'd rather that Link gets a complete overhaul to his moveset with BotW stuff, but if there's just a few changes that at least make him a bit more interesting, then I'm fine with him. Runes, Champion powers, etc., I wanna see some interesting and new stuff from BotW somewhere in his moveset.

:4falco::4sheik::4drmario::4zelda::pichumelee::4ganondorf::popo::4feroy::younglinkmelee:

:snake::wolf::4sonic::4wario::4tlink::pt::4charizard:

:4bayonetta::4cloud::4corrin::4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::rosalina::4ryu::4wiifit:

Toad/Captain Toad:

Daisy:

Waluigi:

Geno:

Dixie Kong:

King K. Rool:

Ridley:

Other Star Fox Characters:

Decidueye:

Isabelle:

Isaac:

Rayman:

Crash:

Sora:

Steve (Minecraft):

Shovel Knight:

2nd Reps for Pre-Existing 3rd Party Franchises:

Adventure/Story Mode:

Events:

Break the Targets and Target Blast:

Multi Man Smash:

Customs:

Edit 2: Added thoughts on Smash 64 veterans. Some may come later, but next update will be the Melee veterans I have listed.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
  • Calling out FE for being "anime" seems absurd to me. It's a Japanese company using Japanese characters in a Japanese art style? If anything FE characters are anything but anime until Fates and maybe Awakening, before then they had almost none of the associated tropes and the core of FE mythos and basis is European folklore/history. Even the style of Smash 4, for example, works with this, they just look like proportioned humans compared to the other crazy Japanese stuff we have in this series. The art style of Dragon Ball Fighterz, the over the top moves within Warriors games, and played out tropes that have only mainly appeared in Fates are "anime". FE characters in Smash are not.
  • The Pokemon roster sometimes feels sickening to me. We have 6 unique slots but 4 Gen 1 reps? It just seems logical that in Smash 4 around when we had 6 gens and 6 slots, why not represent a gen with each slot? If we need Mewtwo so bad I can understand having two gen 1 reps as Pikachu isn't going anywhere and Mewtwo is pretty important, but IMO Charizard and Jigglypuff need to go. Especially Jiggs, the only thing keeping her in is "muh veterans" and it's disgraceful to anyone who didn't live in the late 90's/early 2000's, her popularity and relevance has passed. Let someone new in like a gen 2, 3, or 5 rep.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
-Sora from Kingdom Hearts definitely has a shot at being on the roster and he'd easily be the most fun and balanced character in the game if that were to happen. Disney is the only company that owns him, and it wouldn't be difficult to get him in thanks to the fact that he's not a big icon for them.

-The "Is it a port or not?" argument is single-handedly the most idiotic argument this community has had since the "He's too big, no he's not!" arguments from last gen.

-I think the next F-Zero representative should be a carbon copy of Ganondorf so nobody will miss the moveset when they ever decide to change his moveset to something that better represents the character.

-People often complain that we have too many sword fighters. We don't. When we see the number of sword fighters surpass the number of fist fighters, THEN we can complain about there being too many of them. Until then, we don't have enough sword fighters.

-The Smash Bros. community should make a solid effort to inter-mingle with the PlayStation All-stars community.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I feel that Jigglypuff is deserving of returning to Smash even WITHOUT counting her original 12 status because she's simply more iconic (due to her role in the anime and it's influence on pop culture) than the most popular suggestions (for smash) like Sceptile, Decidueye, Lycanroc, etc, she's on par with the popularity of notable Pokemon like Meowth and Gengar as popularity polls have shown, gets a rather large amount of promotion in merchandise and spin-offs, and has the prestigious honor of being catchable in every mainline game, something not even Pikachu can boast.

D

Deleted member

I'll give my 2 cents.
  • I do not give a **** about "reps" and they should never be the reason for a character to be included. I couldn't care less if a series is "underrepresented" - if there's no character from that series that can get in for their own merits, it shouldn't recieve a newcomer.
  • On the same note, I wouldn't mind if Mario, Pokemon or (puts on a ****proof vest) Fire Emblem got a newcomer as long as they're unique enough. In fact the former 2 both have a character that I'm actively rooting for.
  • Mimikyu getting in might actually kill my hype for the game. It may come off as immature but I don't want to say that it won't happen because I don't want to make promises that I can't keep.
  • 3rd party characters aren't added for marketing a game in their series that just came out on a Nintendo system. It never happened.
  • I'm not opposed to him but Geno doesn't have a shot in hell.
  • Bandana Dee is a better choice for a Kirby newcomer than Marx (No, I'm not opposed to Marx).
  • Susie is also a better choice for a Kirby newcomer than Marx.
  • I would love a new story mode that actually explains how all the characters ended up in the same world at the first place... And I want all of the villains to team up.
  • Unless I actively dislike the character or the series they're from, I have no problem with any character inclusion.
  • On the same note, if I like a character and think they're interesting, I will likely at least consider supporting them, regardless of wether Nintendo owns them or not.
  • I don't want any cuts and I cannot believe I'm on the minority.
That's it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aurumai

Smash Rookie
  • Ridley is an awesome character, but I have absolutely no idea why people are so obsessed with having him as a playable character in Smash.

• Smash 5 could be much better than Melee, but it doesn't need to be quite as competitive to do so.
  • I don't care about an indie character. Like, at all.
  • I also don't care about Inklings. I feel like they're out of place in every game they appear in, including Splatoon.

• I really hope Shulk is permanently removed from all future iterations of Smash until the end of time.
  • I Love Bayonetta as a character, but I can't stand her in Smash 4. I feel like there isn't much point of her even being in Smash 5 when she's inevitably just another Meta Knight nerfed into the grave.
  • I dislike almost all of the top requests for new characters, including and especially those who don't have a long history on Nintendo platforms.
  • In a perfect world, Smash 5 wouldn't have any Pokemon past 3rd gen. Or hell, even just make it 1st gen only.
  • I would instantly be blown away and on fire excited if they were to add characters from Tales of Symphonia.

Inb4 "bring tripping back" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
  • I think cuts are healthy for the long term, if every single character that has appeared in Smash stayed I think we'd get a needlessly bloated roster with a few too many characters who serve as nothing more than padding, and it'd also eventually present balancing issues, and some characters just aren't worth that hassle. Not every character concept has come off either, and instead of forcefully trying to repurpose them I feel it's better to just cut them and put the effort into newcomers instead. With the heavy focus on marketing the latest Nintendo releases, most of which won't go down as classics, some characters will also inevitably become dated and lose their appeal as recency was what made them popular to begin with, I think this is especially true for a lot of the Smash 4 newcomers. I won't ever cheer at a character getting cut though as I know every character has fans, I have my own personal opinion of every character on the roster and of course there are ones I'd rather see cut than others, but I have sympathy for fans of cut characters as I also play ones who occasionally find themselves on the steps up to the chopping block, so I don't feel like making a mess about it, but I do still see cuts as a necessary evil.
  • There's a significant disconnect between the hardcore Smash speculation scene and the casual Smash fanbase, and it's important to note as the latter will have had a bigger influence on the ballot. Someone like Waluigi for example probably placed very highly on the ballot, and as so his popularity will likely be gauged to be higher than a lot of the most popular characters on this site. Be prepared for more Cloud and Bayonetta-esque additions, characters who's popularity surprise nobody but this board.
  • Thinking about Pokémon representation in terms of generations and typings is extremely faulty, a Pokémon has to go through the exact same checks as every other potential newcomer has to. That Gen 1 has a lot of representation is not going to influence Sakurai when we're talking cuts, and neither will the lack of a Grass starter influence him when it comes to adding a newcomer. Recency is the single most important factor for a Pokémon newcomer, but aside from that everyone who fits that bill will be fighting each other based on their own merits, if Decidueye is the one we get then it'll be because Sakurai saw a lot of potential in adding him, and not to complete some arbitrary trio. I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion actually is, but it's pretty common that generations and typings are used as arguments, and it's been irking me for a while.
  • I'd like Bandana Dee to be added, but aside from that I hope Sakurai keeps on being biased in favor of his own Kirby games as they completely blow away the latest entries. I'd much rather have yet another Super Star stage than a Robobot or Triple Deluxe stage for example.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
- I liked Xenoblade 2 but I really don't want Rex and Pyra in, They don't interest me as characters, have ugly designs and I'd take nia, morag or zeke over them anyday.

- Third party characters should be reserved for huge series with iconic and well known characters, shovel knight, shantae etc can be kept, no thank you.

- In the same vein as the last one, I don't see sora getting in, Kingdom Hearts just isn't big enough for what it would take to allow disney to add him.

- Rayman, Lara Croft and Crash are the most deserving third parties and that's not just because I'm biased to them lmao.

- idk if this is unpopular or not but Ganondorf need to be redesigned from the ground up, if you wanna play the old ganondorf go play the other games idc, his current moveset is a disgrace to his character. Zelda needs redesigning almost entirely too.

- Impa deserves to be in the game more than any other Zelda character, and they should use her hyrule warriors design and abilities, spinoff be damned, who really cares if it is a spinoff or not, and the giant sword and naginata would make dope weapons in smash.

- Tetra is second most deserving although it will likely never happen by this point.

- Kid icarus and Fire Emblem aren't overrepresented, the amount of content in the base game was just fine then roy and corrin were added for being a veteran and advertising a new game, them being fe characters is honestly irrelevant.

- Kirby was underrepresented in smash 4, bandana dee deserved and still deserves, the 2 stages they added both sucked and it didn't get a single assist trophy.

- Cuts shouldn't happen, especially considering this game likely heavily reuses assets from 4. I don't think a roster can be "too big" as long as the characters are almost entirely unique and it can still be balanced.

- K Rool could happen but isn't anywhere as likely as Dixie is imo.

- I greatly dislike the idea of mimikyu being added as playable, they'd make a better assist, sorry.

- Captain Toad wouldn't work without having to intentionally misrepresent his game imo, he'd make a fun assist tho.

- Paper Mario is more deserving than any other mario character.

- Not really unpopular but It's ****ing stupid that ridley isn't playable, he should've been in in melee smh.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
- Kirby was underrepresented in smash 4, bandana dee deserved and still deserves, the 2 stages they added both sucked and it didn't get a single assist trophy.
I feel people hate Nightmare, but he actually appeared as a new Kirby AT in Smash 3DS/Wii U

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Alright then. First up, stealing one I agree with:

-I don't like the "flavor of the month" approach that a lot of people seem to take nowadays with Smash.
Exactly. Why do people want these characters just because they starred in something recently or got a Switch port? Crash? Spyro? Sans? Get outta here with that ****, you won't support them anymore after the DLC comes out anyway!

Speaking of fans? I'm never going to hate someone's inclusion because of fanbase. If I did, then I would have given up Smash itself a long time ago because of just how many toxic fanbases exist at its core.

I'm strongly of the opinion that personality matters greatly, especially as we reach the upper limit on newcomers. This means that:

-I'm actually conflicted on Ridley. See, I see a lot of moveset potential, especially someone who can attack at range, spews fireballs, and could probably balance their flight by it working more like Peach's hover, but... has Ridley ever displayed any personality? Rather, has he ever displayed any personality in the games? The manga representation of him is perfect, but literally nothing outside of him having Samus's parents for dinner has ever been referenced in the Metroid games, and I fear if he actually shows up Sakurai wouldn't reflect this.

-Oh, and Trevor > Simon Belmont. For starring in the most amount of Castlevania games, Simon just... seems to be there. Many of the other Belmonts seem to have at least some flavor of personality.

Like another said, the only third parties that will excite me anymore are Bomberman / a Belmont, as far as "actually having a chance in hell". Nobody else except Sora particularly sounds like they'd be fun or I'd care much about them, and Sora's probably not happening due to being in the death grip of Disney licensing.

I'd rather Sakurai trash things like Stadium and Masterpieces. They're things that are toyed with for five minutes and completely forgotten. Make them bonuses for meatier modes like Melee!Adventure and Smash Run. There are better ways to represent the "Nintendo Museum" feel of Smash, and those don't grab attention.

FE has far too much potential with other weapon users and even with the swordsplay to get tossed aside because someone thinks there are "too many reps". That being said, I also won't be particularly hurt if Sakurai switches up and lets some of the clones get switched up in favor of developed newcomers, or switching "representation" in the favor of say, giving Tiki Corrin-like powers so she's not a lumbering dragon/forced to transform into one for half her moveset.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I feel people hate Nightmare, but he actually appeared as a new Kirby AT in Smash 3DS/Wii U
lmao, I forgot about nightmare, still one isn't a lot when zelda gets 3 and metroid gets 2 lol

Exactly. Why do people want these characters just because they starred in something recently or got a Switch port? Crash? Spyro? Sans? Get outta here with that ****, you won't support them anymore after the DLC comes out anyway!
Take out crash sis, he's an iconic character

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I greatly dislike the idea of a playable Decidueye, don't see him as a fun or good choice, and I think there's plenty better Pokemon picks out there.

D

Deleted member

Also an unpopular opinion:
I may be a hardcore Decidueye supporter but I don't think Incineroar is a bad choice

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I think there should be lots of clones in Tra5h. I really enjoy finding out how small differences can change the way characters play and debating which is better. It also gives characters who would normally never get into Smash a shot, like Dark Pit.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I don't think Ganondorf, should get a new moveset. There I said it.

I'm glad he's all about brute strength, it fits his character to well.

Last edited:

SonicBoom403

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicBoom403
Switch FC
SW-0655-9229-9594
  • Fire Emblem is pretty much one of Nintendo's biggest franchises now so I don't see a problem with the amount of Fire Emblem reps in Smash Bros.
  • I think Smash Bros has enough 3rd party characters. I'm hoping the new game won't add too many 3rd party characters unless these characters are closely associated to Nintendo. I don't think another Sonic character is needed either.
  • Clones are fine. They aren't stealing spots from anyone.
  • As much as I want Crash and King K. Rool, I don't think either of them will be playable in Smash Bros Switch.
  • Daisy is more deserving than Waluigi, and she has a lot of potential to be unique and not a Peach clone.
  • Waluigi should stay as an Assist Trophy. I'd take any other Mario character before him. None of the Assist Trophies need to be upgraded to a playable character, but most of them are more deserving than Waluigi. Waluigi is also unlikely in my opinion because Sakurai doesn't seem to be a big fan of him.
  • Shovel Knight, Shantae, and other non-Japanese Indie characters are unlikely in my opinion.
  • I think both Rayman and the Rabbids are unlikely, but if one were to be added I think the Rabbids would be chosen just because of Mario + Rabbids.
  • I don't think there will be many cuts in Smash Bros Switch, if anyone is going to be cut at all.
  • I'm indifferent to Geno. I'd still rather have him over Waluigi though.
  • I don't think the BOTW Champions will be playable characters. If anything they may be Assist Trophies.
  • I think Elma is more likely than Rex and Pyra.
  • I'd rather have Incineroar over Decidueye, but either one would be great.
  • I don't play Smash Bros competitively, and tier lists don't matter to me. Even if a character I like playing as is considered low tier I'll still play as them.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Also an unpopular opinion:
I may be a hardcore Decidueye supporter but I don't think Incineroar is a bad choice
I'm strongly against Incineroar because we already have a playable fire and dark poke. Plus I think the archer motif is more interesting than the wrestler one, decidueye wins oop

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Another opinion came to mind.

While I will say that Daisy DOES indeed have moveset potential, she'll possibly still be just a clone of Peach. I mean, this is the same game series where Ganondorf was a clone of Captain Falcon for 3 whole games just because the models fit well. If Sakurai can do that, then he could make Daisy a clone without batting an eye.

I am, by no means, not opposed to Daisy in Smash Switch. I'm completely fine with her. I'm just saying that it's very possible for her to be a clone

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm strongly against Incineroar because we already have a playable fire and dark poke. Plus I think the archer motif is more interesting than the wrestler one, decidueye wins oop
I strongly prefer Decidueye too, but I have to admit that I can see the appeal of the wrestler motif.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Another opinion came to mind.

While I will say that Daisy DOES indeed have moveset potential, she'll possibly still be just a clone of Peach. I mean, this is the same game series where Ganondorf was a clone of Captain Falcon for 3 whole games just because the models fit well. If Sakurai can do that, then he could make Daisy a clone without batting an eye.
Oh another unpopular opinion, I don't think daisy as a peach clone makes any sense, peach and daisy aren't at all alike in personality and wouldn't fight the same at all imo, making her a clone would misrepresent her entirely

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of Daisy, I have another unpopular opinion.

I know she has potential to be unique, but if Daisy were to get in, I'd much rather have her as a clone than a unique character so that she wouldn't take development time from other characters.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Speaking of Daisy, I have another unpopular opinion.

I know she has potential to be unique, but if Daisy were to get in, I'd much rather have her as a clone than a unique character so that she wouldn't take development time from other characters.
I mean same but I don't want daisy period when paper mario exists lol

SonicBoom403

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicBoom403
Switch FC
SW-0655-9229-9594
I wouldn't mind Daisy as a Peach clone because I do like playing as Peach, but at the same time it wouldn't make much sense for Daisy to play like Peach. It could happen because of their similar body shapes, but I think Daisy would've been added as a Peach clone or a Peach alt (like Alph and the Koopalings) by now if this was the case.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
While I don't think he's super likely, I think Sylux has a slight chance in this game, since he's been a fairly popular character by Metroid standards, and they WANT to use him again. Again, a VERY SLIGHT chance, but he has one.

I wouldn't mind more "clones" if they were more like Wolf and/or Luigi, rather than Dark Pit, who's changes seem negligible to me at the moment, though if they added more unique stuff to him, I'm cool with just that. If they have some decent changes, both to their normals and specials, I'd be happy with that. This can apply to Funky Kong, Dark Samus, Octolings or whoever else is considered a usual clone character choice.

I'd rather Ganon and Zelda's designs be from Hyrule Warriors, but I know that's not happening, unless we get more alt costumes. I just like those looks more than BOTW.

I don't see why characters CAN'T take elements from spin-off games for moveset ideas/color swaps/designs.

Ridley's likeliness is the same or slightly less than it was when Smash 4 came out. Unless Sakurai changes his mind on his design or chooses to make him the "Sentinel" of Smash, he's probably not getting in any time soon, which kind of sucks, but thems the breaks I guess.

I'd rather they not make another SSE and focus on other kinds of Single player modes. Adventure Mode can do the same exact thing without spending so much time and resources on long cutscenes, it also makes replaying more digestible to a lot of players I think.

There's many popular characters that this site overlooks, so if more Ballot choices get in that aren't K.Rool or something, don't be too surprised.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
-Tingle would be perfect for a new Zelda/joke character.
- Bandanna Waddle Dee is nice but honestly Knuckle Joe is better. If he wasn't already similar to Ryu I think his moveset would have been far more interesting then Bandanna Waddle Dee.
- Cranky Kong is the best DK character to add.
- Dark Pit should not use the Dark Pit Staff if reworked, it would too greatly limit his melee capabilities since it's not melee designed. The Viridi Claws would suit much better.
- Isabelle seems like an unnecessary inclusion and Villager is all you need for Animal Crossing.
- I think people assume way too much about the development of the game saying things like "the roster was finalized in 2016" or whatever. Game development is not as cut and dry all the time and design philosophy can change between games.
- In the same vain the over use of Sakurai's names being attached to everything is dumb. like sorry guys it's kind of stupid to just assume that he is the only one who works hard or makes all the decisions. It's a team effort and it really undermines the development process to toss everything on a single individual.
- Tora and Poppi > Rex and Pyra.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
  • Transformations were probably the coolest mechanic because you basically had a two-in-one character. I’d rather they fixed them to be useful rather than removing them entirely. Especially since Pokémon Trainer’s mechanic of ‘change out to get the best matchup’ is literally the point of playing the games. I want Brawl’s trainer back 100% as is. Most people complaining about transformations sound like “but then I have to learn how to use two characters and that’s hard. And they suck competitively, so they’re worthless,” which makes me want to smash my keyboard.
  • Third parties should not be in Smash with the exception of Sonic and co. Yeah I’ll be hyped by some, but I’d prefer all of them to stay out of Smash. Particularly anyone who’s not a gaming icon of the “my mom who doesn’t know what a game is would recognize them” style.
  • Veterans should absolutely not get complete moveset overhauls because of a single game (looking at you, Link). Maybe fix the Dorf to be a bit more canon or give Tink some moves based on WW or the 3ds games, but no ground up reworks.
  • Single players are a thing, and casuals are a thing, so make some modes for fun.
  • I don’t care how little dev time clones take, don’t force me to play multiple times with a moveset I hate to unlock everything just because your alternate costume doesn’t canonically wield a given weapon in their final smash.
  • DLC is a wonderful thing, and they should continue releasing characters or stages for a few years after the game ships. Best place for characters like third parties or Zelda reps, where there are no clear front runners for the next in line. And all vets should be ported for DLC. I’d happily spend $5-10 per character to get my favorites back.
  • Neither Mario nor Pokémon are overrepped. Those franchises dwarf everything else combined.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Unpopular opinions? I've got plenty.
  • The roster comes first in my eyes, and I am very stingy about the roster. Base roster heavily influences if I buy or not.
  • Cuts are a good thing in the long run, and that's coming from someone who's favorite character got cut. I think it's possible we won't see a lot of cuts if Wii U assets are being reused, but there's definitely a few I think would make sense to get cut.
  • I'm very stingy when it comes to 3rd Parties. Three total, with each guest character coming from different companies. With 8-Player Smash, I'd be a bit more comfortable with seven total, but I'd still prefer one from each company. This is what killed Smash 4 for me, and has soured my excitement for the new game.
  • I don't believe that the ballot was rigged from the beginning, but I don't believe Bayonetta outright won, either. We don't know which or how many characters were in front of her that were put off to the side. A popular theory is that she was chosen early on in the ballot due to a deal with PlatinumGames, and although I think it's possible, there's just no proof.
  • Any character that is 80% or more of another character simply isn't worth the time. I'd rather have a smaller, more polished roster, than low-effort clones. Semi-clones I'm generally more okay with, but it's usually a case-by-case thing.
  • There are definitely characters I'd like to see gone, and characters I'd like to see added. However, characters shouldn't be added for the sake of it. More characters from F-Zero would be cool, but Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow don't really have much to offer, in my opinion.
  • I wouldn't mind seeing the roster shrink to about 30 characters.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Interesting... let me go for it.

- I hadn't been "hyped" to see announcement trailer for Smash Bros. Switch, and still aren't exactly hyped about it being around today, unlike probably the entire world at this point if going by social media.

Instead, I'm feeling rather misanthropic and bit apathetic to witness what'll come off it, and don't really feel interested on getting the game itself, due combination of how Smash 4 pre-and post-speculation left me rather cynical, due ton of incidents and fiascos regarding a lot of favorite characters I liked back then - and how I've seen everything the series has to offer for me and am certain it won't be able to innovate much for next installments due how it has no competition anymore, or doesn't wanna look beyond it's own design for improvements.

With that, hinging on newcomer wishes or other changes feels bit of a stretch by this point, because how I might find myself disappointed again anyway.

- While most will definitely find it hilarious based on their, I don't enjoy any deconfirmed character getting ridiculed or joked heavily by the devs. Fandom is one thing, but it's really hard to enjoy a character incase you don't like them getting ridiculed about, and know it's gonna become a permanent blemish on the character if it keeps up in the future portrayals. (Daisy, Ridley, Chrom, etc).

- Despite liking him and being highly aware of his amazing momentum today, I believe Captain Toad will be getting axed again from getting in Smash Switch.

- I believe Smash Bros will have harder time innovating on further it's own system due lack of competitors (PSABGR and now Marvel VS Capcom), and will at some point, start to stagnate in it's gameplay premise over time as it'll keep on feeling "perfect" as is to many. While we have had competent games like Rivals of Aether, I think we need to go even further on getting hat Arc Systems Games-treatment for Smash Bros's gameplay formula from some other company, which'd possess appealing character designs, and backgrounds that know well what drew people to Smash Bros at first place.

- The constant demands for 3rd Parties or even turning the game to multi-company ultimate showdown will not only be beyond taxing and destructive on Sakurai, but it'd also collapse down the very franchise itself.

- I don't exactly like the idea of 3rd Parties being added to Smash Bros being either an indicative of how amazing the company is compared to original owners or some of them can be called "Nintendo-characters" now, such as Bayonetta (who's Smash Bros-moveset had ton of SEGA-reference in vein of her original game, and is more Platinum Games-original).

In fact, I find it sad that other videogame companies, such as Capcom, Konami and SEGA, have fallen so high from their previous grace compared to two decades back, where they were able to create as great, yet irreplaceable classics of their own to compete, and complement the videogame market with tributes themselves as amazing as Nintendo's today.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Brawl had my favorite aesthetic, Smash 4 just feels like a watered down version of it in the visual department.

I love how Bowser and the Kongs are portrayed in Smash, Bowser is actually menacing as opposed to the joke he is in modern Mario games. DK and Diddy had monkey noises in the original DKC games and DK's modern Scooby Doo voice is unfitting.

Doc should be an alt, no ifs ands or buts. There are less differences between Doc and Mario than there were between Melee Mario and Brawl Mario, having him playable as Mario's alt is in no way a disservice to fans. Dark Pit should be an alt if he isn't heavily Luigified, It doesn't make any more sense for Alph to pilot Olimar's ship than for Pittoo to use the sacred treasures.

I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion is since the consensus seems to be split, but indies and second characters from already established third parties should stay the hell away from Smash. Third parties should be icons within the gaming world, putting Shovel Knight next to Pac-Man is like putting your kid's fridge art next to the Mona Lisa. Third parties are also guests, throwing in Sonic's friends would lessen the value of having Sonic in the first place. This is a Nintendo fighting game first and foremost.

I liked Sheik better when she was Zelda's transformation, I'd very much like Zelda to get her gimmick back. Zamus can stay separate though because changing via final smash was a terrible idea. I want Pokemon Trainer back, but not in the same form as Brawl, transformation should have been kept as Zelda's unique gimmick, I'd rather have the Trainer as a summoner who throws out Pokemon for instant attacks before putting them away. I don't particularly care for any of the Pokemon in Smash as none of them are actual characters, just generic monsters you catch in the games. I want to play as the actual character, the protagonist.

Characters for the sake of "representation" is the stupidest thing speculation has come up with. Zelda does not "deserve" any more reps, Link, Zelda, and Ganon(dorf) are the only intrinsically reoccuring elements in that franchise, and even then only Link has played a major role in every single game. One-off characters have no reason to be in Smash (and I say this as someone who loves Midna), Toon Link and Sheik are already extra fluff in the Smash Zelda cast. The only thing Zelda needs is for Ganondorf to be accurate to himself. Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Punch-Out, etc, don't "deserve" any more reps, a single character adequately "represents" those series (and in Falcon's case, doesn't even represent anything at all given his completely made up moveset).

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’ve got a couple.

1. I would rather see Marx than Bandanna Dee. Simply put, Marx is a very interesting villain with a crazy personal and with a potential move set that I would find more intersting than a generic common enemy with a weapon that would function similar to a sword and seems boring.

2. I don’t find the appeal of Geno or Waluigi in the slightest. I went through SMRPG to see what Geno was all about, but Geno proved to be a character with a boring personality. Waluigi is also someone I don’t think should get in over any other Mario character like Captain Toad and I think should stay as an assist trophy.

3. I honestly don’t want Paper Mario, I don’t see a reason for someone like him to get in either other than looking different than Mario and weild different abilities. I played some of the Paper Mario games before but I never understood why people wanted him.

4. I would take Lycanroc over Decidueye. I get why people like Decidueye, heck he’s even my favorite starter from Gen 7, but I like Lycanroc more.

5. I don’t understand why people like Smash 64/Melee’s Classic Mode. Both modes seemed boring since all they did was shove a picture of the opponent and toss you into a battle, and it didn’t appeal to me. I like how Smash 3DS handled Classic mode since it looked more stylish when you see your character walking down a path and you get to choose between three different paths to take and I want the devs to build up on that.

6. This might seem weird but I like how in Dissidia Final Fantasy NT when the DLC character Vayne Solidor was added, they also added a seperate story about him in the story mode. So I want the devs to do something like that when they add any DLC characters to Smash if there is a story mode. Heck I would even be happy if there is added extra story mode content as DLC, as long as the base Story mode has enough content itself.

Last edited:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
- Paper Mario should never be in the game as a playable character since he is essentially a 2-D Mario. If you have Paper Mario on your list before Waluigi, I question your judgement. This has nothing to do with who you like better, but what actually makes more sense. Even Daisy or Boo would be more favorable than Paper Mario. Paper Mario is more suitable to be a stage or item.
(On a sidenote, imagine a Paper Mario stage where every character has a "paper" form? And not just 2-D like Duck Hunt?)

- I hope Toad is not in 5mash as a playable character. Even Shy Guy is more interesting than Toad(no insult to Shy Guy). The Captain Toad game is the only argument keeping him afloat for 5mash consideration.

- I hate the way Bowser Jr was implemented in Smash 4, and I would love for him to leave his Clown Car to fight on foot. It was a serious killjoy to see one of my most wanted for Smash 4 to be stuck in a vehicle. Jr on foot + paintbrush is in my opinion, superior to Clown Car-bound Jr. Hence, I wish he would get a design overhaul in Smash 5(even without the paintbrush is better than Sm4sh Jr).

- There is no inherent need to cut any character, period.(exception made for Lucina. She is a useless addition and is one less Fire Emblem swordsman littering the screen).
>Sidenote: I hate almost everything about Lucina for seemingly no rational reason. Her voice, look, animations, and palette annoy me to no end. She seems like she is the epitome of an annoying tryhard for some reason. Her littering the roster is the least of my "reasons." Hence, I want her out of 5mash. Honestly though, -1 for Fire Emblem just feels right and she's the perfect candidate.

- Just because a character looks similar, it doesn't mean they would be a clone. Dixie Kong will NOT be a clone simply because she is a monkey like Diddy Kong. Mario and Luigi are not clones despite them being brothers. Link and Zelda are not clones simply because they are Hylians. Yes, this needed to be said.

- Despite Funky Kong being awesome, I think he is best suited to be an alt skin for DK. Will he bring something that unique to warrant a spot in 5mash? Funky Kong should ONLY be considered after K. Rool, Dixie, and Cranky are added. Granted, I'm aware of what I said in the paragraph before this, but Funky Kong doesn't seem to have that appeal over the 3 I mentioned. He is not as popular as well. Even an Assist Trophy would suit him better.

- Ridley can't and shouldn't be added because he is in fact too big to be done justice. Downsizing bastardizes who Ridley is, keeping his size makes him overpowered. If Ridley can be downsized for 5mash, Andross can be downsized for 5mash. The same arguments can be made for both. Bringing up Bowser does not help the Ridley cause because Bowser's size is KNOWN to fluctuate and deliberately so. Is a 1-inch Ridley still Ridley? Is a Bowser-sized Ridley still Ridley? Does size not matter in terms of characters? Is a microscopic Mario no different than canon Mario? Godzilla for 5mash confirmed?

- Sonic should be the one third-party franchise to feature more than one character.

- If removing Jigglypuff gave us a substitute Pokémon, I would want Jigglypuff removed in a heartbeat.

- Monster Hunter would be an interesting character for 5mash.

- Samus needs a partial overhaul of her moveset.

- There is no such thing as "overrepresentation" for franchises such as Mario and Pokémon.

- Franchises/series don't NEED representation simply because they have a lesser amount of "reps." It is about who is feasible and sensible. The popular and main characters are what are "needed." F-Zero doesn't NEED more reps, just like Metroid or Game & Watch. Quality over quantity; Characters over quotas, people.

------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: I am aware people have feelings and opinions. I am simply addressing them as-stated. People are entitled to their preferences and feelings even if they are not necessarily rooted in pure logic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom