• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Durnehviir

Smash Apprentice
One thing I'm curios about is if Ridley will be able to handle the likes of diddy in a one on one match

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
You yourself don't have to do this,bagan,but I just recently meleeified all the chars and was wondering,won't ridley look weird now?
maybe,maybe not.Maybe sometime someone could make make the colors off the trophy (and respective recolors) and be rid of all the scale detail and such.Also,
3 Days until release:
People all around (myself included) are waiting anxiously for the livestream/release,though people still wonder... roidly god tier confirmed? Dankey Kang gets new spot as 2nd worst smasher? Find out in the next episode of Space Dragon Ball M!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
One thing I'm curios about is if Ridley will be able to handle the likes of diddy in a one on one match
Well, its not SSB4 and he is not HOO AAH, so, probably yes, he can.
You yourself don't have to do this,bagan,but I just recently meleeified all the chars and was wondering,won't ridley look weird now?
maybe,maybe not.Maybe sometime someone could make make the colors off the trophy (and respective recolors) and be rid of all the scale detail and such.Also,
3 Days until release:
People all around (myself included) are waiting anxiously for the livestream/release,though people still wonder... roidly god tier confirmed? Dankey Kang gets new spot as 2nd worst smasher? Find out in the next episode of Space Dragon Ball M!
I doubt it. He has duller colors now instead of being bright and colorful like characters in SSB4 and has that metallic shine, so, he will most likely fit.
I really doubt it. He is far from real got tier characters of PM (3.0 Mewtwo, Fox and Falco...well, at least latter 2 require skill to really be such).

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Well, its not SSB4 and he is not HOO AAH, so, probably yes, he can.

I doubt it. He has duller colors now instead of being bright and colorful like characters in SSB4 and has that metallic shine, so, he will most likely fit.
I really doubt it. He is far from real got tier characters of PM (3.0 Mewtwo, Fox and Falco...well, at least latter 2 require skill to really be such).
well mah fears have been put to rest. thanks!

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
1 person and some helpers can make Ridley playable with limited resources yet a professional like Sakurai with professional game designers can't? How sad.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Looking forward to this being finished, it's looking incredible so far. I've never been a big fan of the idea of a playable Ridley, but this mod's been changing my mind about that quite a bit.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
1 person and some helpers can make Ridley playable with limited resources yet a professional like Sakurai with professional game designers can't? How sad.
No. He doesn't wants to. There is a huge difference. And reasoning for that is just as bad as the reason why there are no adventure mode. I mean, if we will go by same logic, videos showing SSB4 will be put on youtube, so, why bother making it at all if peoples will just watch those instead of playing the game?

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Yeah Sakurai feels that Ridley doesn't fit in with the other fighters and should just be a boss. Despite putting in a lot of animations for Ridley and giving him a stock icon and having him have knockdown animations and getting launched like a playable character and...

*goes on and on*

Yeah I don't get it. And the stock icon is of SM Ridley. Kinda hilarious in hindsight.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah Sakurai feels that Ridley doesn't fit in with the other fighters and should just be a boss. Despite putting in a lot of animations for Ridley and giving him a stock icon and having him have knockdown animations and getting launched like a playable character and...

*goes on and on*

Yeah I don't get it. And the stock icon is of SM Ridley. Kinda hilarious in hindsight.
Ridley has knockdown animation in Other M (it looked a lot better though) and most of animations were most likely ported from Other M while new animations (especially when he starts going down to charge up to become "Meta Ridley") look just horrible in comparison. Sakurai didn't cared about Ridley. He cared about that stage hazard on Pyrosphere. Hell, even Ridley's trophy is just "Oh, hey, thats Ridley. SPEAKING OF THAT STAGE HAZARD ON PYROSPHERE...". Only 1 short sentence actually described him, but it is just "Samus' long-standing nemesis" or something like that.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ridley has knockdown animation in Other M (it looked a lot better though) and most of animations were most likely ported from Other M while new animations (especially when he starts going down to charge up to become "Meta Ridley") look just horrible in comparison. Sakurai didn't cared about Ridley. He cared about that stage hazard on Pyrosphere. Hell, even Ridley's trophy is just "Oh, hey, thats Ridley. SPEAKING OF THAT STAGE HAZARD ON PYROSPHERE...". Only 1 short sentence actually described him, but it is just "Samus' long-standing nemesis" or something like that.
Makes me glad he seems serious on leaving the franchise

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Iwata, and Sakurai started 4, Iwata asked "What system do you want to work on next?" "I want to make Smash bros on the Wii U AND 3DS!"
And thats when they f***ed up horribly. If not 3DS version, WiiU version would save the console at least for some time, we would have more characters (including ICs) and just overall more content since there wouldn't be any 2nd version to work on. It would suck if Smash Tour would be and no Smash Run though. Both are nothing compared to Melee's adventure mode either way.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
There were three ways in which both games could've been the best they can:

1) Nintendo should've waited until the New3DS came out in America, that way both games could have the Ice Climbers and possibly more returning characters.

or

2) Smash 3DS should've been a remake of Smash 64 with online features and the cut characters that were originally intended to be included. (Bowser, DeDeDe, Mewtwo, etc.)

or

3) The character rosters of both games should be INDEPENDENT FROM EACH OTHER FROM THE START! Yes, both could have generally included the same characters, but in the case of the Ice Climbers, they should've been Wii U exclusive and/or New3DS exclusive DLC.

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
Maybe the WiiU couldn't handle the icies either.

Sounds naive, as it's a powerful system, but Icies would've been hell online and probably worse in 8 man. Imagine the processing power of 16 little climbers on the pyro sphere with Ridley, bugs, and that weird camera gun thing all happening at one, now add items.

The frame rate would tank.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Sounds naive, as it's a powerful system, but Icies would've been hell online and probably worse in 8 man. Imagine the processing power of 16 little climbers on the pyro sphere with Ridley, bugs, and that weird camera gun thing all happening at one, now add items.

Ridley doesn't appear in 8 player smash, and Sakurai said IC worked fine on the Wii U version before getting cut

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Ridley doesn't appear in 8 player smash, and Sakurai said IC worked fine on the Wii U version before getting cut
That was said before 8-player smash was revealed iirc. Four ice climbers already cause lag issues in Brawl (which we have to be mindful of when creating new stages). I'd imagine that 8-player smash played a huge role in the Ice Climbers getting cut.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
...that was unexpected...

So, since ANYTHING related to gliding that doesn't ends with falling state or isn't the gliding itself resets momentum, i had to remove all of that fancy stuff like turning and fireballs since you could just go up as high as possible, turn around, do that again, turn around, repeat until you are out of ANY opponent's (except for another Ridley) reach and spam fireballs while turning to prevent SD-ing yourself. So, instead, i'll try to do something different using stuff left from vBrawl Pit's Up B. If i will fail to do it, then he won't have it at all. Im not counting this for completion % since its not required to be done like get hit animations or standard attacks.

It is activated by holding B button while using aerial Down B. Maybe im overusing this trick with holding X button to perform something different, but whatever. Animation looks a little bit weird when looking from the side, but thats the way Ridley flaps his wings in Other M, so, i dunno. What im trying to do with this whole thing is pretty much UMvC3 Firebrand's flight mode, with 3 8-directional air dashes and everything. On time limit of course, with 3rd air dash automatically disabling it. Right now, im just trying to get that d*mn thing to actually move Ridley beyond just going back and forward while falling like a rock. Then i'll go for the air dashes.
Oh, and i fixed eyes. Now they are not so bright/oversaturated. They still glow in the dark and its noticable when he uses Down B and on recolors like Firebrandley and Other M original Ridley.
Awesome, a flying ability is what I originally wanted way back when. Hope it works out!

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Hey, just wondering, are all his recolors already set?

Just curious because i think he could get some based on more Metroid bosses, aside from the Kraid one i think a recolor inspired by Mother Brain could look neat:

Just a little suggestion, though.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That was said before 8-player smash was revealed iirc. Four ice climbers already cause lag issues in Brawl (which we have to be mindful of when creating new stages). I'd imagine that 8-player smash played a huge role in the Ice Climbers getting cut.
WiiU should be able to handle that if it can handle Hyrule Warriors (well, it can gets slowdowns, but not Sonic Genesis kind of slowdowns) and 8 of those extra ICs just repeat what main IC does probably without actually reading player's imputs. I dunno, but it should be possible.
Awesome, a flying ability is what I originally wanted way back when. Hope it works out!
...And it did not. Everything was done properly, but he just refuses to do anything for some reasons. I saved all of coding and animations just in case i'll figure out what causes it.
Hey, just wondering, are all his recolors already set?

Just curious because i think he could get some based on more Metroid bosses, aside from the Kraid one i think a recolor inspired by Mother Brain could look neat:

Just a little suggestion, though.
Yes. All 10 of them. Im not sure how Mother Brain recolor could work either way.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
I really wish the Metroid characters in Smash4 were Samus, Ridley, Kraid and Mother Brain. They all perfectly represent Metroid to its fullest!(Sorry Zero Suit Samus. She has no place being playable. All she's good for is obvious sex appeal).

"But Elite Gaymer those 3 bosses are way way way to be playable! I mean Ridley yes but Mother Brain and Kraid can never happen".

To be honest anyone can be playable. Heck Bowser is way bigger then all 3 metroid villains. Sakurai's excuse was saying Ridley can't happen because of proportions. Kraid and Mother Brain don't suffer from a proportion issue. Make Kraid the largest and heaviest fighter and Mother Brain in a levitating jar that's slighly taller then Samus and be the widest character in Smash. I can easily think of a move set for Mother Brain and Kraid.

Will it happen? Sadly never but I would die peacefully knowing my favorite 3 recurring Metroid Villains were playable in Smash.

I would be happy getting Ridley!! :)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I really wish the Metroid characters in Smash4 were Samus, Ridley, Kraid and Mother Brain. They all perfectly represent Metroid to its fullest!(Sorry Zero Suit Samus. She has no place being playable. All she's good for is obvious sex appeal).

"But Elite Gaymer those 3 bosses are way way way to be playable! I mean Ridley yes but Mother Brain and Kraid can never happen".

To be honest anyone can be playable. Heck Bowser is way bigger then all 3 metroid villains. Sakurai's excuse was saying Ridley can't happen because of proportions. Kraid and Mother Brain don't suffer from a proportion issue. Make Kraid the largest and heaviest fighter and Mother Brain in a levitating jar that's slighly taller then Samus and be the widest character in Smash. I can easily think of a move set for Mother Brain and Kraid.

Will it happen? Sadly never but I would die peacefully knowing my favorite 3 recurring Metroid Villains were playable in Smash.

I would be happy getting Ridley!! :)
Kraid's main thing is his very large size (unlike Ridley), something that can't be kept without making every platform so high that everyone will either have very good jumps or will require using recovery specials just to get there or else Kraid will clip through everything, while Mother Brain is either a brain in the jar (which would look very boring no matter the moveset) or a giant and pretty thin abomination (in Other M at least, but that game matters the most in SSB4 and i doubt anyone really dislikes that design). Agree about ZSS though (i'd better have buffed Samus than that). Bowser is rarely bigger than those 2 and when talking about him, we should think first of his pre-SSB64 appearances since he was planned to be playable in that game, but was cut due to time constraints and possibly low budget. So, he never was bigger than those 2.

...Oh, and that, along with SSB4 WiiU discussion prior to that not related to Ridley has nothing to do with this mod...so...i dunno.
...1-2 days until release and i'll have everything ready...oh, for how long i have waited for that...Sadly, nothing really fancy other than a very fast glide that can be cancelled into any normal attack, but that doesn't really matters.
And about that 3DS Max rigging tutorial - Ridley's model gets messed up horribly, so, i can't use it there. So, i can't rig anything for this mod.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Characters such as Sentinel and Shuma Gorath are titan and planets sized beings but were made playable in in the Marvel vs Capcom series because the creators were able to make a moveset for them.

Wouldn't be weird for Kraid to be smaller in Smash since Smash isn't canon to begin with.

Mother Brain in a portable jar would make her stand out in a good way. Most of the cast is human shaped so she'd be a very unique looking addition.

But to stay on Ridley. I can't wait to see the stream this weekend. :)

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I really can't see this being playable

Like, how would that even work? he'd look so awkward and out of place, imagine him jumping

Also Dark Samus, nuff said

And rundas too, but he'd need to be in another game for that to happen. Rundas for metroid prime 4?

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Well it could be like Isaac. ****ing nothing.

Still the whole way Ridley was handled fills me with Phazon Rage.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman

Like, how would that even work? he'd look so awkward and out of place, imagine him jumping

And rundas too, but he'd need to be in another game for that to happen. Rundas for metroid prime 4?
Off-topic: Well actually.....

It could work, it wouldn't be too awkward considering its possible for this species to be around Samus' height. Although this not being the exact same Kraid, it could work. And in my personal opinion, Samus, Dark Samus, Ridley, and Kraid sound like a nice Metroid line-up. But I could agree that Rundas might be a better suit.

Re-rail: About that Ridley showcase on the 7th, there isn't a specified time.
@ SoulOfSmash SoulOfSmash What is the time-frame for the showcase of this mod? I also checked to see if there was a specified time frame in the description of the video but there wasn't one to be found.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord

Yeah guys, I mean a lot of people are saying that they want Ridley to fly, but look at this evidence! He doesn't even have wings...

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
This mod sucks because Ridley being playable with brutal looking attacks and roars isn't true to the character. You should have just made him a silly lapdog who only serves the purpose to get beat up. Now that's the true Ridley.

Joking aside, this looks amazing. Definitely a day 1 download, ad a great tribute to a long overdue character.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
For everyone interested in the Ridley showcase Saturday look for it around 11 am and should last around 1 1/2-2 hours. However best way to know for sure would be following our twitch channel @ http://www.twitch.tv/framezerogaming
Oh, then i have enough time to finish new CSPs and BPs. Just pose change, but they look better like that. You can actually see his eyes on them instead of orange/green/white/blue dots.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice

Sakurai said they got them to work on the Wii U.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Ideal SMash Metroid Line-up:
Samus
Ridley
Dark Samus.
These are the only Metroid characters qualified for smash.

Top Bottom