• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Do you have a guess at release date? I think we have been dieing from hype.
Certainly after 7th February, but not sure when exactly.
Man, it'd be pretty cool to replace some random Subspace Emissary enemy with those Space Pirates.
Edit: I guess it would have to be Scope Primids now that I remember them.
I doubt its possible. But would be better than having random mooks.

Here is result of porting materials from Other M Ridley:

Now i just need to reduce brightness so it would be like something between 2bd and 3rd screenshots, where its not as noticable. Other than that, they work perfectly and model looks a lot better.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Certainly after 7th February, but not sure when exactly.

I doubt its possible. But would be better than having random mooks.

Here is result of porting materials from Other M Ridley:

Now i just need to reduce brightness so it would be like something between 2bd and 3rd screenshots, where its not as noticable. Other than that, they work perfectly and model looks a lot better.
Roidley oils up!
Personally I prefer the second picture, it has a more subtle effect.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The spikes are back? WHY?!
Thats just because spiked version used.

Duh. While trying to fix materials so he won't be so reflective, i messed things up so much i had to redo everything. Fortunately, i succeded and now he looks fine. The only problem is that for some reasons, Other M shaders disallow any kind of flashing like when he dodges or charges up a smash attack.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Thats just because spiked version used.

Duh. While trying to fix materials so he won't be so reflective, i messed things up so much i had to redo everything. Fortunately, i succeded and now he looks fine. The only problem is that for some reasons, Other M shaders disallow any kind of flashing like when he dodges or charges up a smash attack.
ok, thx for clearing that up,maybe it is because other m didn't have white and yellow flash shaders? idk,just a thought

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
ok, thx for clearing that up,maybe it is because other m didn't have white and yellow flash shaders? idk,just a thought
Yes. Thats exactly why he isn't flashing, but that was fixed more-or-less. He looks a bit different when compared to screenshots above, but has all of those neat effects on shaders.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
glad that cleared up, could you post some pics of the new shaded model?
Well, they are still issues (he doesn't always flashes, eyes are not glowing like they did before, etc). Either way, thats how he looks like at least for now:

I like how he looks in current state. He is darker than before (textures were not changed and its not possible to make him brighter without ruining that effect on his skin), but it looks better. I couldn't properly recreate what i did on previous screenshots, but its close enough.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Well, they are still issues (he doesn't always flashes, eyes are not glowing like they did before, etc). Either way, thats how he looks like at least for now:

I like how he looks in current state. He is darker than before (textures were not changed and its not possible to make him brighter without ruining that effect on his skin), but it looks better. I couldn't properly recreate what i did on previous screenshots, but its close enough.
:b: The rimlight effect on this model would look GLORIOUS.

A "HYES"/10, would use again.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
:b: The rimlight effect on this model would look GLORIOUS.

A "HYES"/10, would use again.
Isn't it pretty much the same thing?

Anyway, all models have received this updated model that was fixed and now always flashes when needed and eyes on it are glowing like they did before. I also solved one issue with Ridley when he is thrown - before, his tail would go completly straight like a stick and it looked distracting and unnatural. I tried to pose his tail for his default pose, but only base of the tail was affected while everything else remained stiff. Thankfully, Other M Ridley's tail can be posed (i mean without looking unnatural and just weird) not only by rotating it as with other parts, but also by moving (more like stretching) it on X and Z axis. It is done like that on most of his Other M animations. So, i used this way of posing his tail and now it doesn't looks so stiff. It still doesn't moves, but at least it looks better. Other than that, there isn't much to tell about. Things are getting really boring.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Isn't it pretty much the same thing?

Anyway, all models have received this updated model that was fixed and now always flashes when needed and eyes on it are glowing like they did before. I also solved one issue with Ridley when he is thrown - before, his tail would go completly straight like a stick and it looked distracting and unnatural. I tried to pose his tail for his default pose, but only base of the tail was affected while everything else remained stiff. Thankfully, Other M Ridley's tail can be posed (i mean without looking unnatural and just weird) not only by rotating it as with other parts, but also by moving (more like stretching) it on X and Z axis. It is done like that on most of his Other M animations. So, i used this way of posing his tail and now it doesn't looks so stiff. It still doesn't moves, but at least it looks better. Other than that, there isn't much to tell about. Things are getting really boring.
http://smashboards.com/threads/scouts-smash-3-rimlight-tutorial.370374/

In a sense yes, but the lighting effect is different from a gloss (which this new ridley probably has now), it essentially outlines (be it subtly) a character dependent on the camera angle and gives it a faint glow from afar. Take rimlight Olimar for example:

(Smash 3 progress photo posted by the team)
The helmet is extenuated at the edge and the body has a very faint outline to give it that Sm4sh-esc feel (along with the textures of course) All smash 3 costumes use this edge texture as well:

The two effects can be used on the same model (like the WIP Smash 3 Samus the team is working on right now).

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You deserve a good break after you're done. You're doing something that Nintendo itself couldn't do.
Yeah, especially after that animation improvement planned for final release...That break is gonna last for a while.
http://smashboards.com/threads/scouts-smash-3-rimlight-tutorial.370374/

In a sense yes, but the lighting effect is different from a gloss (which this new ridley probably has now), it essentially outlines (be it subtly) a character dependent on the camera angle and gives it a faint glow from afar. Take rimlight Olimar for example:

(Smash 3 progress photo posted by the team)
The helmet is extenuated at the edge and the body has a very faint outline to give it that Sm4sh-esc feel (along with the textures of course) All smash 3 costumes use this edge texture as well:

The two effects can be used on the same model (like the WIP Smash 3 Samus the team is working on right now).
Thanks for info. Not sure if it will be noticable on Ridley though.
so is this going to e a add on for project m? or do I have to change the files manually?
Yes, you will have to replace files manually. Its not that hard to do with things like CSPs, models, animations, etc. but it will get harder on some things like stocks.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Probably someone already mentioned it, but Ridley's stunned animation should be this:

(ignore the presents)
That will make him very easy to hit and him suddenly spawning 8 large presents in front of him wouldn't be fair.
...Well, that animation is kinda there, but its a less silly version from MP1 and its used when he is paralyzed by, well, paralyzer and something else.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think by stunned he meant like broken shield status.
Thats exactly what i was talking about. Other M animation is used for it while closest thing to what he posted is used for paralyzed animation, but it doesn't looks so weird. Part about boxes obviously was a joke, but he would be very easy to hit if he would stand upright like that.

Last edited:

DarkfireKurai

Smash Rookie
Hey Bagan, I'm not sure if any one has asked you about this since most are interested in Ridley himself, but have you worked on a Ridley cap for Kirby yet?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey Bagan, I'm not sure if any one has asked you about this since most are interested in Ridley himself, but have you worked on a Ridley cap for Kirby yet?
I haven't even though of how it will look like. I will work on it after first release.

So, Ridley received something that he should have no matter what. And its gliding:

Its fastest one out of them all, can be cancelled with aerial attack like other glides (though only FAir can be used since BAir stops him from going forward and NAir is too slow) and puts him into helpless state only if he ends it by pressing B or going high enough. His glide attack is overhead swipe that works like his FAir (just easier to hit with and has higher knockback). Since i couldn't make him use it like it can be done in vBrawl (by holding jump button while jumping in mid-air), i had to replace aerial Side B. This is a lot more useful as both recovery and movement option, so, its not a bad choice. But im sure it will require balancing first.

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
BaganSmashBros said:
So, Ridley received something that he should have no matter what.
At first, I only saw this sentence and the picture, and I immediately thought 'Oh no, dark and edgy Ridley.'

Then I saw the part about gliding and breathed a sigh of relief.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Final Smash is done:

I won't post gif animation of it because Ridley doesn't moves a lot during it, so, all that would really move is flame and thats not interesting. Once opponent is caught in the flame, he/she/it will not escape no matter what due to how hitboxes are set up (hitboxes closer to Ridley push opponent forward while hitboxes at the end push opponent back). Even if opponent will somehow survive, damage dealt is so high (156% + 20% on the final hit) that it is pointless unless Ridley is in a bad condition as well or opponent gets hit by tail's sourspot. However, unlike every directional Final Smash (e.g. Zelda/Sheik's Light Arrow, Samus' Zero Laser, Lucario's Aura Storm, etc), its horizontal range is not infinite. Its shorter than Final Destination's platform length. So, it is not very useful on large stages. It has a small blind spot until final hit and there is no vacuum effect like on Zero Laser. To be honest, i did not expected GFX used to look like this and thought it would require extra GFX to make it look better. Right now im trying to improve animation to look better.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
>test gliding
>you can cancel it with any attack and glide again infinitely
>it's so much fun but I have to report it

You should make a fun OP version of Ridley with his old flamethrower, the triple fireballs, old Nair, old Fair and infinite gliding. Also make him as big as Giga Bowser. AND GIVE HIM A TOP HAT.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
At first, I only saw this sentence and the picture, and I immediately thought 'Oh no, dark and edgy Ridley.'

Then I saw the part about gliding and breathed a sigh of relief.
Well, he already is dark and edgy, so, you're late about that.
Anyway, I wanted to ask how long you have been programming for and if you went to school for it, if so, how long? jw, tyvm in advanced.
Well, its not that complex and requires just knowing what should be used and where should be used. I didn't went to school for it of course.
>test gliding
>you can cancel it with any attack and glide again infinitely
>it's so much fun but I have to report it

You should make a fun OP version of Ridley with his old flamethrower, the triple fireballs, old Nair, old Fair and infinite gliding. Also make him as big as Giga Bowser. AND GIVE HIM A TOP HAT.
Yeah, kinda expected that. At least there is something to do now.

No. He should be as big as Ridley, have 5 fireballs, very strong damage-based armor, infinite jumps AND THEN top hat with monocle and everything.

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget the bowtie! Anyway, this looks absolutely amazing! With the spikeless model and not-too-oily shaders, Ridley looks like an official smash character, but better than what Nintendo ever made. Great Job! Also, for that glide attack, when you cancel it by attacking, you could probably just disable specials, but still allow normal attacks.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
Could you make him grab with one hand and do the throws still do a poop ton of damage

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I haven't even though of how it will look like. I will work on it after first release.

So, Ridley received something that he should have no matter what. And its gliding:

Its fastest one out of them all, can be cancelled with aerial attack like other glides (though only FAir can be used since BAir stops him from going forward and NAir is too slow) and puts him into helpless state only if he ends it by pressing B or going high enough. His glide attack is overhead swipe that works like his FAir (just easier to hit with and has higher knockback). Since i couldn't make him use it like it can be done in vBrawl (by holding jump button while jumping in mid-air), i had to replace aerial Side B. This is a lot more useful as both recovery and movement option, so, its not a bad choice. But im sure it will require balancing first.
Is this his only form of flight?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Don't forget the bowtie! Anyway, this looks absolutely amazing! With the spikeless model and not-too-oily shaders, Ridley looks like an official smash character, but better than what Nintendo ever made. Great Job! Also, for that glide attack, when you cancel it by attacking, you could probably just disable specials, but still allow normal attacks.
Oh, that too. Not sure how it can be attached, but who cares?
I fixed it few hours ago. After he ends his glide anyhow, his side B gets disabled until he is hit or lands on the ground.
Could you make him grab with one hand and do the throws still do a poop ton of damage
That wouldn't look right on characters like Bowser, Donkey Kong and Ridley himself.
Is this his only form of flight?
Well, you could count jumps for it too, but yes, it is. I couldn't figure out how to give him Mewtwo's hover, so, i instead want to make this glide a little bit unique. I already made it possible to turn him so it won't be too dangerous to use on stages like Warioware and soon will make it possible to use fireballs while gliding (exactly same as during diagonal aerial B, but with higher start up and shorter end lag). Not sure should i do it though since it could make just jumping and using diagonal version of neutral B or just jumping and doing anything a worse option. At other hand, any attacks during glide would be a lot more predictable and harder to control.

Last edited:
Top Bottom