• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Well, you could count jumps for it too, but yes, it is. I couldn't figure out how to give him Mewtwo's hover, so, i instead want to make this glide a little bit unique. I already made it possible to turn him so it won't be too dangerous to use on stages like Warioware and soon will make it possible to use fireballs while gliding (exactly same as during diagonal aerial B, but with higher start up and shorter end lag). Not sure should i do it though since it could make just jumping and using diagonal version of neutral B or just jumping and doing anything a worse option. At other hand, any attacks during glide would be a lot more predictable and harder to control.
How many jumps are you giving him?

I agree about the no hover, I think the glide + several jumps will be good (and more realistic to the character) as long as the glide is more controllable that other glides. By "possible to turn him" do you mean that you can change the right/left direction of the glide? If so that is awesome.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

I agree about the no hover, I think the glide + several jumps will be good (and more realistic to the character) as long as the glide is more controllable that other glides. By "possible to turn him" do you mean that you can change the right/left direction of the glide? If so that is awesome.
5 total. Less than Kirby or Jigglypuff, but he jumps high enough to reach them if they would use all of their jumps.

Yes. He will still continue to go down during it and he will be reset to flying straight forward, but last part is unintentional.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
5 total. Less than Kirby or Jigglypuff, but he jumps high enough to reach them if they would use all of their jumps.

Yes. He will still continue to go down during it and he will be reset to flying straight forward, but last part is unintentional.
Sounds good :D

unlistedNiL

Smash Cadet

reading this made me realize having Ridley be able to have multiple jumps + a fly is actually a good idea since it would be his main form of defense since he is such a big character. It makes sense. Being able to 'fly' would allow Ridley players enough time to land their slow and heavy attacks. Me being a Falco main, I love big targets and wish Ridley luck and proper balance which I'm sure he is getting.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
This mod making Ridley playable could possibly shed some light for him being playable in Smash 5 and maybe dlc for smash 4?

Sakirai said he didn't know how to incorporate him without ruining him(total BS reason and makes him a hypocrite). Seeing this might give him the push to make Ridley playable. I mean so many people are so happy with this mod alone. Heck even some anti Ridley people love this mod and think it's splendid.

Bagan really captured everything heat about Ridley and with limited resources. I do hope Nintendo sees this and shows this to Sakurai or Sakurai himself sees this himself.

That's why I'm hoping this mod becomes official and makes it into Project M officially because then Sakurai will seriously notice a playable Ridley since he's seen project m and taken some elements from that game.

CoeusFreeze

Smash Cadet

Did I see a Mewtwo-esque float in the gameplay trailer, or was that just my imagination?

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
He has his Down-B which reflects every single shot. But it also makes him slower and thus even easier to combo.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
He has his Down-B which reflects every single shot. But it also makes him slower and thus even easier to combo.
Then let's brainstorm.

I have a few suggestions for the moment:
1) Instead of Down B making Ridley 20% slower, he could simply be given a cool down in which he is unable to use the special armor again until a minute or less has passed. I personally think that BaganSmashBros has already thought about this idea, but I assume that the coding/programming of a cool down like this is either extremely complicated, or impossible to do.

2) All his other special moves become disabled during his Super Armor mode, but he retains his default speed rather than become 20% slower. He would only have access to his A moves and grabs for the 7 seconds of Down B.

3) All of his attacks during Super Armor deal less damage, but he retains his default speed.

(This next idea has nothing to do with Down B)
4) Give Ridley a weak but super-fast poke attack that would allow him to ''break'' through speedsters, kinda like Ness' or Mewtwo's Down A.

Do you have any suggestions Warzenschwein?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This mod making Ridley playable could possibly shed some light for him being playable in Smash 5 and maybe dlc for smash 4?

Sakirai said he didn't know how to incorporate him without ruining him(total BS reason and makes him a hypocrite). Seeing this might give him the push to make Ridley playable. I mean so many people are so happy with this mod alone. Heck even some anti Ridley people love this mod and think it's splendid.

Bagan really captured everything heat about Ridley and with limited resources. I do hope Nintendo sees this and shows this to Sakurai or Sakurai himself sees this himself.

That's why I'm hoping this mod becomes official and makes it into Project M officially because then Sakurai will seriously notice a playable Ridley since he's seen project m and taken some elements from that game.
Sakurai is pretty stubborn. Don't forget that. He may change few things, but only those he wants to change. Bowser and Ganondorf are main examples of that - he revamped former one to better represent the character or at least improve him greatly, but other one got the boot instead and had no major changes. So, Project M is the only option.
Did I see a Mewtwo-esque float in the gameplay trailer, or was that just my imagination?
Probably just him jumping. He is floaty, so, that may have made it look like that.
I can't say for sure yet, but I think Falco might obliterate Ridley, no matter what, lol.
He obliterates a lot of characters, so, thats not surprising at all.
Then let's brainstorm.

I have a few suggestions for the moment:
1) Instead of Down B making Ridley 20% slower, he could simply be given a cool down in which he is unable to use the special armor again until a minute or less has passed. I personally think that BaganSmashBros has already thought about this idea, but I assume that the coding/programming of a cool down like this is either extremely complicated, or impossible to do.

2) All his other special moves become disabled during his Super Armor mode, but he retains his default speed rather than become 20% slower. He would only have access to his A moves and grabs for the 7 seconds of Down B.

3) All of his attacks during Super Armor deal less damage, but he retains his default speed.

(This next idea has nothing to do with Down B)
4) Give Ridley a weak but super-fast poke attack that would allow him to ''break'' through speedsters, kinda like Ness' or Mewtwo's Down A.

Do you have any suggestions Warzenschwein?
First one would make it next to useless. Like if Fox could use his Shine only once in 30 seconds. Second one won't do much since his specials aren't that useful. So, it could go like Down B>BAir and FAir ownage without much risk. Third one doesn't makes much sense and it will take a lot of precious space on moveset file. For 4th one...i dunno.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
First one would make it next to useless. Like if Fox could use his Shine only once in 30 seconds. Second one won't do much since his specials aren't that useful. So, it could go like Down B>BAir and FAir ownage without much risk. Third one doesn't makes much sense and it will take a lot of precious space on moveset file. For 4th one...i dunno.
However, Fox's Down B keeps him immobile and cannot do anything else except Reflect projectiles, so Fox being able to use it at anytime is actually fair. Ridley, on the other hand, becomes a walking, reflective, Super Armored foe, thus why being able to use it only once every 30-seconds is a way to balance it and prevent players from just spamming Down B.

As for the 2nd idea, won't Ridley be unable to use his Recovery moves (Up B and Side B), which are very important? This means that when opponents see him activate Down B, they'll either stay away until the 7 seconds are up, or become twice as aggressive in order to take advantage of his inability to properly recover if he's launched off the stage.

I won't try to defend the 3rd idea for the simple fact it takes alot of space on his files.

Fourth idea might seem like the easiest option to give him a fighting chance against speedsters. The superfast poke should be programmed in a way that prevents it from being combo-able, or something that you consider appropriately restrictive.

Whatever the outcome, we should make sure Down B has good attributes and a decent negative aspect, to make sure it doesn't become either utterly useless, or overpowered to the point that Ridley players will only focus on just using that. Currently, according to Warzenschwein, his Down B leaves him too vulnerable because of the 20% slowdown.

Last edited:

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
However, Fox's Down B keeps him immobile and cannot do anything else except Reflect projectiles, so Fox being able to use it at anytime is actually fair. Ridley, on the other hand, becomes a walking, reflective, Super Armored foe, thus why being able to use it only once every 30-seconds is a way to balance it and prevent players from just spamming Down B.

As for the 2nd idea, won't Ridley be unable to use his Recovery moves (Up B and Side B), which are very important? This means that when opponents see him activate Down B, they'll either stay away until the 7 seconds are up, or become twice as aggressive in order to take advantage of his inability to properly recover if he's launched off the stage.

I won't try to defend the 3rd idea for the simple fact it takes alot of space on his files.

Fourth idea might seem like the easiest option to give him a fighting chance against speedsters. The superfast poke should be programmed in a way that prevents it from being combo-able, or something that you consider appropriately restrictive.

Whatever the outcome, we should make sure Down B has good attributes and a decent negative aspect, to make sure it doesn't become either utterly useless, or overpowered to the point that Ridley players will only focus on just using that. Currently, according to Warzenschwein, his Down B leaves him too vulnerable because of the 20% slowdown.
Shine also damages opponents and Ridley's super armor breaks after taking enough damage, like any other kind of super armor in PM except for maybe Bowser's heavy armor on attacks like Side Smash.

Opponent won't be able to stop him from just jumping back to the stage since he won't flinch from attacks unless they are strong enough, so, he could just turn around and BAir them safely, which will most likely end in a KO or at least opportunity to get to the ledge.

Im not sure i could code such restrictions on it...

Well, he still can cancel it if he needs to reflect projectile just once and its done in 20-30 frames. It requires it to be applied first, but he reflects projectiles while doing so.
snakes grab doesnt look right on Bowser DK and (probably) ridley himself
I am sure it will look right on Ridley since he has a neck when compared to those 2.

Last edited:

stRIP

Smash Ace
Just a quick question: How to you use the scream? I red all the moves in the first post and didn't see anything of it :( that's the best move o:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Just a quick question: How to you use the scream? I red all the moves in the first post and didn't see anything of it :( that's the best move o:
Just hold down taunt button while performing it. Kinda like Ganondorf's sword taunt attack, except damage is dealt to player's ears.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Btw. request to the streamers:

I don't know what version you have but the latest one I've got has the mega OP glide with infinitey aerial stalling / camping and other crazy stuff that's definitely the least balanced thing in the world, lol.

Wouldn't want to feed the haters with this.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hang on, Bagan had a problem with files getting lost, would getting someone to send it back be a solution so you can hack in it from there?
That is not true. Who said that?

I don't know what version you have but the latest one I've got has the mega OP glide with infinitey aerial stalling / camping and other crazy stuff that's definitely the least balanced thing in the world, lol.

Urgh...Glide really is a bad thing when you try to be fancy with it.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

Where is the download? I don't see one in the OP.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I see your point about Ridley's Down B.
But, if that will remain unchanged, do you have any other solutions in mind about his inability to deal with Falco?

Urgh...Glide really is a bad thing when you try to be fancy with it.
I noticed in the stream that Ridley still has the arm spikes. I assume the Ridley in the video is not your latest version BaganSmashBros? If it isn't, would it be possible to give the streamer the updated model with the balanced Air Glide before February 7th?
Speaking of models, did you ever get in touch with Nanobuds from Project M for his work on Ridley's model?

Enchlore

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enchlore
There's two model options: a model with arm spikes and one without. It has been pointed out before.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I see your point about Ridley's Down B.
But, if that will remain unchanged, do you have any other solutions in mind about his inability to deal with Falco?

I noticed in the stream that Ridley still has the arm spikes. I assume the Ridley in the video is not your latest version BaganSmashBros? If it isn't, would it be possible to give the streamer the updated model with the balanced Air Glide before February 7th?
Speaking of models, did you ever get in touch with Nanobuds from Project M for his work on Ridley's model?
No. Falco is pretty much top tier along with Fox, so, he would most likely be able to counter a lot of things thrown at him for one reason or another.

Not anymore since he lacks glide and few things are a bit different. Spikeless model is a separate model and it is currently unfinished (textures should be updated first).
I haven't heard of him since i sent him model to be fixed.
I meant the problem you mentioned a while ago about having to redo hitboxes and the like
Oh, that. Well, i then found out that it isn't corrupted and that its the model that was the issue while glide didn't worked because certain bone set to be the point after which everything actually moves instead of being like a brick was set way too high on Ridley, so, it pointed to non-existent bone and crashed the game. I couldn't get normal glide to work because it seems that PMDT disabled glides on jumps through codes. I didn't said anything about second part since, well, i only recently found out what just happened.

Last edited:

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
what did/do you use to make this because i wanna try to make a character too

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Will we seriously be able to play this character in Project M? He looks OP as hell but he'd be fun to square off against Giga Bowser.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Will we seriously be able to play this character in Project M? He looks OP as hell but he'd be fun to square off against Giga Bowser.
He's actually got a number of disadvantages to counter his advantages, such as his tail only dealing any significant damage/knockback at the tip, him being slow on the ground, him being as light as Mario, etc.

Bagan is currently working on balancing the mod, so it may not appear as OP in the first release

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
And while we wait for news from either BaganSmashBros or the upcoming live stream, I bring this video I found and I ask you all...
WHY

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
And while we wait for news from either BaganSmashBros or the upcoming live stream, I bring this video I found and I ask you all...
WHY
...that was unexpected...

So, since ANYTHING related to gliding that doesn't ends with falling state or isn't the gliding itself resets momentum, i had to remove all of that fancy stuff like turning and fireballs since you could just go up as high as possible, turn around, do that again, turn around, repeat until you are out of ANY opponent's (except for another Ridley) reach and spam fireballs while turning to prevent SD-ing yourself. So, instead, i'll try to do something different using stuff left from vBrawl Pit's Up B. If i will fail to do it, then he won't have it at all. Im not counting this for completion % since its not required to be done like get hit animations or standard attacks.

It is activated by holding B button while using aerial Down B. Maybe im overusing this trick with holding X button to perform something different, but whatever. Animation looks a little bit weird when looking from the side, but thats the way Ridley flaps his wings in Other M, so, i dunno. What im trying to do with this whole thing is pretty much UMvC3 Firebrand's flight mode, with 3 8-directional air dashes and everything. On time limit of course, with 3rd air dash automatically disabling it. Right now, im just trying to get that d*mn thing to actually move Ridley beyond just going back and forward while falling like a rock. Then i'll go for the air dashes.
Oh, and i fixed eyes. Now they are not so bright/oversaturated. They still glow in the dark and its noticable when he uses Down B and on recolors like Firebrandley and Other M original Ridley.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Small update: i finally figured out how to make him move in any direction in flight mode. All animations for air dashes and flight mode attacks (pretty much same as normal aerial attacks, except Ridley can move in any direction while using those) are ready along with their coding (but not coding that triggers them) and i already know how to balance this thing (and i know it is possible to do). By default, he can fly for 7 seconds and then goes into falling state. But then he has to wait for it to recharge and it is done while he is on the ground. It should take 28 seconds to fully recharge and can't be reused until at least 4 seconds passed, but it won't last for enough time for it to be useful (~1 wing flap and thats it). Hopefully, i can get this thing done, without bugs and cheap exploits like on glide turning, before 7th February. I won't rush myself. If i won't get it done in time, then it will be locked.
Other than that, i improved gloss effect on wings so it looks better now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom