• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Okay, is the last 1% the Kirby hat (and maybe some last minute touch ups)?

Edit: Also 99%!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Sweet Jesus on a stick, everyone is seriously fangirling over the 99%. There's still work to be done. Balancing, bug fixing, etc. Maybe everyone should take a chill pill and wait?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Really the 99% is probably closer to 70% or 50% because balance also takes a whole lot of work, at least as far as I am aware.

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
It happening so fast only adds to the brutality my friend xD

I feel like the OP did a great job showing Ridley's true colors, his moveset looks incredibly intimidating. He truly feels like an uncontrollable brutal and fast monster.

The reduced size doesn't seem to harm him either, though I would argue that his tail has too much range.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
It happening so fast only adds to the brutality my friend xD
Well no, it actually detracts from it I feel, because the stabbing attack gets lost really easily in the flames. The only reason I noticed it was because it creates a slash shockwave when viewed from the front.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Okay, is the last 1% the Kirby hat (and maybe some last minute touch ups)?

Edit: Also 99%!!!!!!!!!!
Just balancing and probably model fix. Since its not going to go very far when i have only 3 testers, it won't take too much. There won't be any Kirby hat for first release.
Really the 99% is probably closer to 70% or 50% because balance also takes a whole lot of work, at least as far as I am aware.
Nah, not that much. Just change few values here and there, reduce this and increase that, etc. It will still require more balancing after first release, but right now, we can't go too far with it.
I call upon the false advertising of this title to be overhyping everyone.
Well, at least i didn't just showed his shadow on one screenshot, then waited for few months to finally show him...
I've watched the 75% video a few more times and realized that when Ridley does his down throw, he pins the opponent down with his tail. I really love these kind of things in his moveset, the extremely brutal throws, the unique ledge attacks, it fits his character so well. Really, the only complaint that I have is that the throws are too fast (in the footage) and make it difficult to actually see some of the brutality happening. There could be a split-second delay between Ridley slamming his tail through the opponent's midriff and THEN setting the poor sod on fire, just to underline it.

EDIT: I know that it's in the OP and all, but I hadn't read that and certainly didn't notice it until now.
Sure, but now by much.

All animations done. Finally. Up Smash now looks better and is a bit faster, but end lag is pretty much same as before.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
All animations done. Finally. Up Smash now looks better and is a bit faster, but end lag is pretty much same as before.
I went to the closed beta footage just now, and I found this link given by one of the commentators that could offer a better voice announcer for Ridley:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
This is already known but can't be used because the voice already has an echo effect. The game does this manually, adding this sound clip would make it sound awkward because of double echo.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario

EDIT: Is Paul the name of the guy who's comment I mentioned? If it is, it ALL makes sense now :)
I thought you were Paul. I am poopmin both here and there, YouTube, and I brought up this video on Warzen's comment addressing the announcer on his closed beta video. He, Paul, replied and then you commented on here. I had talked to Paul many other times on YouTube and I thought you were him. The quest continues.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So, remember that code porting i had to do from Lucario to Pit? Well, that "boring stuff" part of the things left to do is exactly same, except there is more stuff to port and its from corrupted Pit files to vBrawl Pit files! Why do i have to do this godd*mn thing again? Well, you see, there was a glitch that suddenly started to happen at some point that crashes the game either when loading 2nd match with Ridley or on the result screen of that match. That crashing can be avoided by just going back to "Press any button" menu, but thats not how it should be. What can i say?...F*** my life. Its like building a house, but then it turns out its completly filled with bricks, leaving no room inside. And all of them are put together, so, you can't do much with them. Thankfully, its just the moveset file and not models or animations. Doesn't makes it any better.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, remember that code porting i had to do from Lucario to Pit? Well, that "boring stuff" part of the things left to do is exactly same, except there is more stuff to port and its from corrupted Pit files to vBrawl Pit files! Why do i have to do this godd*mn thing again? Well, you see, there was a glitch that suddenly started to happen at some point that crashes the game either when loading 2nd match with Ridley or on the result screen of that match. That crashing can be avoided by just going back to "Press any button" menu, but thats not how it should be. What can i say?...F*** my life. Its like building a house, but then it turns out its completly filled with bricks, leaving no room inside. And all of them are put together, so, you can't do much with them. Thankfully, its just the moveset file and not models or animations. Doesn't makes it any better.
Look on the bright side, you can try balancing it at the same time

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Look on the bright side, you can try balancing it at the same time
I could do that without the whole porting thing. And for me to know what needs to be nerfed or buffed, i need feedback on it, so, its just a waste of time. At least Ridley will get his gliding back. Speaking of it, i noticed that no one (as far as i remember) noticed that i never even mentioned any progress on it. At least glide attack would have been shown, but it wasn't. Thats because Ridley couldn't use it even though all of the coding is still present. Probably for the same reason game crashed on the 2nd match.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I could do that without the whole porting thing. And for me to know what needs to be nerfed or buffed, i need feedback on it, so, its just a waste of time. At least Ridley will get his gliding back. Speaking of it, i noticed that no one (as far as i remember) noticed that i never even mentioned any progress on it. At least glide attack would have been shown, but it wasn't. Thats because Ridley couldn't use it even though all of the coding is still present. Probably for the same reason game crashed on the 2nd match.
Like ROB's helpless animation, correct?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
ROB had an animation for helpless/freefall in Brawl's coding, was never used though as ROB couldn't go in freefall
No. In case of ROB, he just doesn't uses it. In this case, it SHOULD be used, but can't be performed for no reasons even though coding is present and even if used, it crashes the game.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Same cause with ROB
Well, i can just go and make ROB go into helpless state after Up B and doing so will take like 1 minute. But i can't do anything like that with Ridley's glide because coding required is already there to trigger transition from jumping to gliding states, so, i will just add same thing and nothing will happen. So, its different from it just being unused.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, i can just go and make ROB go into helpless state after Up B and doing so will take like 1 minute. But i can't do anything like that with Ridley's glide because coding required is already there to trigger transition from jumping to gliding states, so, i will just add same thing and nothing will happen. So, its different from it just being unused.
People who would try using the animation would get game crashes

Perfecthell4

Smash Apprentice
It's not like Bagan hasn't forgone crediting in the past, if all traces are removed it's probably unintentional.
All traces are in fact removed, and if it is unintentional then this serves as a reminder.

Lmao
Worry about credit when this is done. To think that it's so mandatory at this point in time. And I'm fairly sure there's a lot of differences between the two anyway.
I posted when i saw it. It was fresh on mind. That doesn't necessarily mean i think it's absolutely mandatory right this second. However, it would take all of 5 seconds for him to edit that in anyway, so it's not like it has to be sidelined either.

Yeah, this wasn't meant to be an exact port of the Crusade Ridley. Such a request is similar to telling Shakespeare to give credit to Ovid for using a similar plot line to Pyramus and Thisbe in Romeo and Juliet. I'm pretty sure that people are allowed to use works as inspiration without needing to give credit in such an explict way, especially when variety itself is limited. Ridley can only have so many moves given his anatomy and history, so naturally there will be some overlap between your and Bagan's incarnations of the character. This does not mean that he copied your character, and this does not mean that he has to give any credit beyond what he has already done.
True. However, there is a difference between limited variety and/or accidental similarity vs. an exact copy that then had differences edited in, which this is a case of (see the first page or so of posts in this thread, originally it was actually more of a crusade port than anything). I asked nicely, and in all honesty he doesn't have to because it's not like the moveset is copyrighted nor is it still identical, however i still would like at least an honorable mention or something, something to say where the original ideas came from and where quite a few traces of it are still 1:1 the same. This is just a request, I'm not attacking him here. Nor do i think it is out of the realm of possibility to include a brief one-liner along the lines of "special thanks to SSB Crusade for the original moveset" or even something as informal as "shout-out to SSB Crusade's Ridley".

I saw the trailer pop up somewhere, i remembered seeing this mod a while back in development back when the moveset was identical to Crusade's, thought it was cool. Watched the new trailer, loved it, can't wait to play as Ridley in P:M. Noticed the moveset is different now but still has some Crusade parts to it. Skimming the OP i see we are no longer mentioned anywhere and just thought "would be nice if we were at least mentioned anywhere on this OP". So i posted, its that simple. He doesn't have to but im just requesting it as a respectful thing to do.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
All traces are in fact removed, and if it is unintentional then this serves as a reminder.

I posted when i saw it. It was fresh on mind. That doesn't necessarily mean i think it's absolutely mandatory right this second. However, it would take all of 5 seconds for him to edit that in anyway, so it's not like it has to be sidelined either.

True. However, there is a difference between limited variety and/or accidental similarity vs. an exact copy that then had differences edited in, which this is a case of (see the first page or so of posts in this thread, originally it was actually more of a crusade port than anything). I asked nicely, and in all honesty he doesn't have to because it's not like the moveset is copyrighted nor is it still identical, however i still would like at least an honorable mention or something, something to say where the original ideas came from and where quite a few traces of it are still 1:1 the same. This is just a request, I'm not attacking him here. Nor do i think it is out of the realm of possibility to include a brief one-liner along the lines of "special thanks to SSB Crusade for the original moveset" or even something as informal as "shout-out to SSB Crusade's Ridley".

I saw the trailer pop up somewhere, i remembered seeing this mod a while back in development back when the moveset was identical to Crusade's, thought it was cool. Watched the new trailer, loved it, can't wait to play as Ridley in P:M. Noticed the moveset is different now but still has some Crusade parts to it. Skimming the OP i see we are no longer mentioned anywhere and just thought "would be nice if we were at least mentioned anywhere on this OP". So i posted, its that simple. He doesn't have to but im just requesting it as a respectful thing to do.
I credited you for some of the moveset ideas after recent OP update. Nothing really special though. Would be more...um...signifficant if previous version wouldn't fail since that one was pretty much a port from SSBC with some new things here and there (glide attack, most of aerial attacks and throws, etc).

Last edited:

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
So.... You have the code all set up for the glide mechanic, but when you execute the move in game, it freezes, right? I know it may sound like a dumb question, but did you make the glide animation? The way you say that you tried making the glide, it implies that you tested before the animating process and may have forgotten to animate it? It doesn't hurt to check just in case. It came to mind from the Rob talk about missing animations freezing the game.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So.... You have the code all set up for the glide mechanic, but when you execute the move in game, it freezes, right? I know it may sound like a dumb question, but did you make the glide animation? The way you say that you tried making the glide, it implies that you tested before the animating process and may have forgotten to animate it? It doesn't hurt to check just in case. It came to mind from the Rob talk about missing animations freezing the game.
They all are there. And i can't even properly execute it. He won't go into gliding state by holding jump button during mid-air jump. I tested it by making him go into that state in the same way any of the actions are executed.

So, i tested a 10%-20% finished port and it still crashes the game. So, its something about the model that causes game to crash. It certainly is not animations because i tested it with Pit's original model and moveset file.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
A small update on Ridley's mo- Wait, what?!

What this has to do with Ridley's model? Well, before, i though that Other M's shaders and materials were incompatible with SSBB because i tried using them before, but failed. Turns out i just didn't do it properly. Here, you can see Zebesian with some neat...don't know how its called...And it makes him look better. The only issue is that they are pretty dark when compared to SSBB models, but that can be fixed. I'll try to apply Ridley's Other M materials and shaders and see how it will turn out and if it will result in something great, then i will leave them like that. Oh, and that Zebesian had standing animation instead of just 1-frame animation that gets him into this pose. But i didn't wasted any time on it since i just imported his standing animation from Other M.

Last edited:

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet
Man, it'd be pretty cool to replace some random Subspace Emissary enemy with those Space Pirates.
Edit: I guess it would have to be Scope Primids now that I remember them.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
A small update on Ridley's mo- Wait, what?!

What this has to do with Ridley's model? Well, before, i though that Other M's shaders and materials were incompatible with SSBB because i tried using them before, but failed. Turns out i just didn't do it properly. Here, you can see Zebesian with some neat...don't know how its called...And it makes him look better. The only issue is that they are pretty dark when compared to SSBB models, but that can be fixed. I'll try to apply Ridley's Other M materials and shaders and see how it will turn out and if it will result in something great, then i will leave them like that. Oh, and that Zebesian had standing animation instead of just 1-frame animation that gets him into this pose. But i didn't wasted any time on it since i just imported his standing animation from Other M.
New AT confirmed

Top Bottom