• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unknown Sweetspots?

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
For some very odd reasons, I've used Fireball and F-Tilt on foes and had them inflict more damage than usual.

My F-Tilt did 9%, and the Fireball did 6%... odd, no? Anyone else had this happen, or at least know why?

Matt07

Smash Master
Uuh what? Really odd....I just went into training mode about 30 minutes ago, and wrote down all of the damage Mario's moves done. But I never saw 6%, or the 9% on the moves...very very weird, I also found out that Fsmash has a chance of tripping (I think.)

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Attack decay probably.
decay? they did MORE than normal...

Also, when the F-tilt did more damage, it from very far away...like at the very edge of the hitbox (it wasn't aimed up or down, and was the first time I'd used it in the match)

Fireball I don't remember... wish I could've gotten a replay.... but match was too long

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
This is strange. maybe it has something to do with the char you faced. or perhaps the stage you played on. But whatever the reason is fireballs should not do 6% I've tested this against Luigi's fireball that do 6%.

maybe damage ratio was increased?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Attacks being used the first time in a match have 105% power. After that the ceiling drops down to 100% for the rest of the match.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I don't think so, HeroMystic. Could be, but there was a gigantic test done with wolf's dsmash, and there was no % change. Wolf's dthrow does 12 in training but 13 fresh in a match, maybe it's the same thing going on over here? Training mode doesn't use completely fresh moves for some reason...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Whoops. I should've said that I heard a few people say that and to not quote me on that. :laugh:

I'd do some quick testing, but I'm way too lazy at the moment.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
This topic has been observed and discussed several times, it was finally found out that training mode ignores decimals while they are rounded in regular matches.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
This topic has been observed and discussed several times, it was finally found out that training mode rounds down decimals while they are rounded up in regular matches.
That's pretty odd. Training mode is just odd.

Also, Milk!!, if you keep making posts smaller than your signature, some moderator is going to go upside your head with an infraction. Just sayin'.

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
I have doubts on a sweetspot. I think that a fresh fireball and ftilt does 5.xx% and 8.xx% respectively, so when you used it your opponent probably had some half-damage and it just added up to look like the attacks were doing 1% more damage...

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Well, here's the match info...

For F-Tilt...

Castle Seige (The Underground Portion)
Against Olimar
Olimar has 12%
Used F-Tilt
Olimar has 21%
Damage Ratio Normal
Wi-fi Random Battle
2 Other Opponents in the Match

And for Fireball...

Final Destination
Versus... I forgot
Opponent had 35%
Performed Fireball
Opponent had 41%
No Damage Rate mods, size mods, etc.
Normal Offline Brawl

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Did you know that attacks actually can do fractions of percents of damage?

It does add up. The game rounds down fractions IIRC until they become a whole number.

The best example of this is testing out Lucario's attacks at different levels of damage (to Lucario) to see when they break Snake out of his Up-B. Snake's Up-B is broken by any hit that does more than 7%. If a hit does 7.1% to Snake, it will break him out. If it does EXACTLY 7%, it will NOT break him out.

By the way, I think the last hit of the Mario Tornado does EXACTLY 7%.

I dunno, I also slightly suspect that diminishing other attacks slightly boosts attacks that never get used for a long time.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
To say the very least this is all quite interesting and definitely needs some testing and looking in to.

Which perhaps I'll do tomorrow if I find time...

Top Bottom