• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated characters.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Who do you think are the most underrated characters are? You know the ones that think "omg! you mean you play with him or her? you suck!" type of deal..I kind of made a list..sort of..
DK
Luigi
Young Link
Pichu...
Jigglupuff
Ice Climbers
Mewtwo.
If you have any others please share and thank you!

Eci4

Smash Ace
a lot of people play with peach nowadays I believe, she's considered cheap by many

I think ness is an underrated character... So many people say hes just a shell of his former self, and while he may not be the ness of old, he is still copetetive

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
IC's but that's just the way I like it. When they're underrated people don't turn to the two eskimos so not a swarm of people will start using them, whereas fox, falco, marth.

Ness_STFU

Smash Apprentice
Ness, for sure.

I've never seen anyone use him the way I know he can be used. Not Azen, not C. Jack, not MoFo or Simna.

He's a treasure waiting to be unlocked, but there are too many tier whores these days...

uremog

Smash Ace
honestly, roy and peach are not underrated, i don't know who you play who say they suck. DK has a handful of matchups that he can do some cool stuff in though.

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
Ice Climbers+Jiggly... There under-rated and good... IC's should move up on the tier list (**** shiek, falco, capt. falcon, ect)... Captain Jack thinks Jiggs is 5th on da tier list... Enough Said.

ChozenOne Out.

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
Ness, First my friends said he sucked, now I play with him and they think he's to fast and to good.

Rash

Smash Ace
Ness and Ice Climbers. Most of the others are given plenty of attention and always appear in "top favorites" or "most used" lists.

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman

…………………………………,……………………………….
…………………………………\`\...........................................
………………………………….|..`-,……..,--…………………
…………………………………/.,,-`’”~-,-,`,/`………………….
…………./¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/………/`..\..(O).| ¯``”\..........................
…………`,………….\,……./`….`~-,,,/,.(O)/…………………
…………..\,…………/`…,-“…………..¯¯”|`……NO ONE
…………….`\........../`….\”””`~=’,’,’,’,’””`~-,\..............EXPECTS.....
……………...’|……’|…….\..............¯””~,...|……………JINJO
……………….\.......\,….../……………,,-~”…………….,,……
…………….....\..........``~/………...,-“”…………..,-“”¯¯…\.....
………………...\.............:::::……./-,,,,……,,,,--‘`………...’|…
………………….\.......::::::::::::::::::…………………………|…
…………………,’…..:::::::::::::::::::::……,,---~”””`””~--,,,,,,~”...
………………,”`…..:::::::::::::::::::::::..,-“””……………………..
…………….,’……..::::::::::::::::::::::::.|…………………………
……………’___.....::::::::::::::::::::::::..|…………………………
………………..\¯¯””~~--;;;;:::::::::::…|………………………...
………………...\............,…¯”””--,,,...|…………………………
…………………\........./`.\.........../..””`…………………………
…………………|…….|….\.........|……………………………..
………………..,-‘…….|…/……...”-,,………………………….
…………….,.,-`………`|.(…………..`”~,……………………..
…………,-“”`…………./...\....................\..............................
………../……………../.….\,,,……….,,-~’……………………
……….”--,,…………,/………¯””~-“””…………………………
……………¯””~`”””¯……………………………………………

FoulQ

Smash Apprentice
I don't think ICs are that overrated, considering everyone's obsession with Chu. Yeah, Ness is extremely underrated, but not to the point where he is actually any good :\

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Ness, definitely. At the last tournament I went to, there were a lot of people there who underestimated the power and speed of a lot of his attacks. My friends also hate playing against Ness, because many of them still don't know how to deal with him.

Mewtwo is also highly underrated. Yes, he sucks. But not so much that he'd get 4-stocked no matter who was playing him.

Jigglypuff is not underrated by any stretch of the imagination...

y2kbakura

Smash Journeyman
probally metwo besides mookirah i've never seen a competitive mewtwo
pherhaps because his place in the tiers it takes a lot of talent to be able to play him

SlutMachine

Smash Journeyman
Pichu

Pichu can kick some a$$...I haven't seen it happen yet bue i know there will one day be someone who dominates with him. It'll happen...

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
id say pikachu is my no 1 underrated character - i played as him a few times yesterday - he has surprisingly good smashes and high priority, long range and fast aerials, as well as being an extraordinarily fast character. i suppose what he lacked the most was basic combos to play around with - but downthrow lead to quite alot.

Number_09

Smash Cadet
Why does everyone say Mewtwo is so low tier? I see him as being rather playable and have seen Mewtwo people top eight/four several times. Mewtwo is underated....and so is Luigi..... Oh yeah and I saw a Pichu win the last tournament I was in....what does that tell you?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Number_09 said:
Why does everyone say Mewtwo is so low tier? I see him as being rather playable and have seen Mewtwo people top eight/four several times. Mewtwo is underated....and so is Luigi..... Oh yeah and I saw a Pichu win the last tournament I was in....what does that tell you?
Who are these Mewtwo players, and what tournaments were these? There are many good reasons people consider Mewtwo to be low tier. Sure he's playable, and fun to play, but that doesn't make him "good." He does deserve his place on the tier list but he's still not as bad as a lot of people assume, since the tiers in this game are a lot closer than in many other games. Many people have said my Mewtwo is the only one they've seen at all, and Mewtwo isn't even my main.

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
Number_09 said:
Oh yeah and I saw a Pichu win the last tournament I was in....what does that tell you?

That you were in a tournament full of noobs. Seriously.

Runt

Smash Journeyman
I think Kirby is underated. Not many people think kirby can keep up cuz of his lack in range, speed and power. But i normally prove them wrong lol.

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
Runt said:
I think Kirby is underated. Not many people think kirby can keep up cuz of his lack in range, speed and power. But i normally prove them wrong lol.
Not really. The Kirby in SSB will own the kirby in SSBM.

FoulQ

Smash Apprentice
Kai_ said:
Ha. This made me laugh.

Let me just give a quick overview of things I think:

Ness: Everyone thinks he is underrated. So close to everyone, in fact, that perhaps he isn't.

Zelda: The only character that I truly think is underrated. It's not too hard to find out why either. :\

Mewtwo: Okay, this might get a little complicatad. A little underrated, but with some people overrating him so much, he is not as underrated as the extent of overrating going on for Mewtwo. That would make him underrated but not so dramatically as the overraters might say he is.

Those are the big three, IMO.

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
I see a lot people talk about ness, but the ness specif character room is close to dying out, Why doesn't people post there. Also I would like to be Zelda.sheik splitted Zelda gets overlooded by the post about sheik, I just can't find some helpfull post in there.

Number_09

Smash Cadet
Kai_ said:
No, these players were not inexperienced.......pichu just got lucky as all hell. But still, he won, with a Pichu....and that is something.

Arj

Smash Apprentice
Number_09 said:
Oh yeah and I saw a Pichu win the last tournament I was in....what does that tell you?
That you go to some terrible tournaments.

And I don't think Pichu is underrated, he is pretty bad, and if a player devoted as much time to getting good with Pichu as they did with say Marth, chances are their Marth would definitely beat the Pichu. As for underrated, I would definitely say IC's but thats only because I've seen ChuDat use them on the highest competitive level.

Sensai

Smash Master
Ness is underrated. Not incredibly, just slightly. And everyone KNOWS he's underrated, so...that kinda evens things out. The IC's are much MORE underrated, so long as you don't know who the hell Chu is.

Zelda is pretty much the most underrated character though. Zelda's the only character who's, IMO, underrated.

Although, Pikachu might fall into that category too.

Number_09

Smash Cadet
Arj said:
That you go to some terrible tournaments.

And I don't think Pichu is underrated, he is pretty bad, and if a player devoted as much time to getting good with Pichu as they did with say Marth, chances are their Marth would definitely beat the Pichu. As for underrated, I would definitely say IC's but thats only because I've seen ChuDat use them on the highest competitive level.
The tournament was not terrible. There were 16 people. Actually first round Pichu beat Marth. Once again I will state this.... it was luck. That pichu was lucky every round. Items were legal :( and it got lucky.... So no more posts on this being a "terrible" or "noob" filled tournament...

Zelda is a good player, not exceptional. I haven't really ever heard anyone say she was a low character per say.

Blind

Honorbound
Roy is slightly underrated, mostly because people tend to compare him to Marth. Regardless, he still has speed and a decent grab game, as well as potent KO moves and few combos that are basically universal, like d-tilt into whatever.

IC's are no longer underrated because of Chu, but a lot of people think they take a mysterious power of desynchronization magic to play them. They don't.

Mewtwo is definitely underrated, but nobody here felt like giving any decent reasons as to why. He has a fantastic grab game because of his ground speed with his wavedash, one of the most ridiculous d-tilts in the game, a decent projectile, good recovery, nice edgeguarding because of his good recovery, and he can KO out of grabs just by pressing UP. If you want to know who has the best M2 in the country, ask any of the pros at MLG about Taj. Best M2, in this country, hands down. Probably has the best Pikachu, too, but don't hold me to that.

Pichu's not underrated. He dies at very low percents, and his awesome recovery actually makes it easier to kill him because it damages him. He has great speed, but that is hindered by no priority or range. His grab game is alright, but it's almost nullified because of his terrible grab range. He's BAD, people. He's a joke character. If you're winning with him, it's your strength as a player and the fact that your opponent clearly isn't taking you seriously. I love playing as Pichu, but he's NOT competitive by any stretch of the imagination.

Everybody calls out the fact that he damages himself as a reason he's bad. Do they have to ignore the fact that the majority of his good moves do NOT hurt him? The only place I think it really matters is when you're trying to recover, because you're on the ropes as it is and more percent just makes things worse.

Number_09

Smash Cadet
Roy is not underated, he is plain out a good character in my book. Pichu is not underated either. He is just not good...... Whats up with the A move seriously....

Top Bottom