• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated characters.

Jay0yeah

Smash Ace
Yo

fluffy said:
nah, kirby sucks. the ssb64 version was good thou.
My friend. COme to a Gaunlet one of these months n lets have some friendlies, lol. I'll show u how low tiers do. PM me if there is a tourney going on in NJ...

Maverick69

Smash Ace
I believe Ness is highly underrated. Ness is one of my mains and I always get someone looking up at the screen going "wtf who's playing as Ness? what a n00b" I usually challenge those people and pwn them soon after, effectively shutting their mouths.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Dantedemonslayr said:
"wtf who's playing as Ness? what a n00b" I usually challenge those people and pwn them soon after, effectively shutting their mouths.
That's how it is.

I play all underrated characters-

Ness
Mario (if you consider him underrated)
IC's
Jigglypuff (I just dumbfounded my friend the other day when I beat his best character in a serious match w/Jiggs) :) :lick: :)

*Thrash*

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo. The psycho kitty can be awesome if properly weilded, as proven by mookierah and Tajs. It inspired me to step up my Mewtwo game as of late.

Young Link. Oh. My. God. That kid is so fast and annoying with the **** projectlies. The projectiles set up for decent combos and he has more kill moves than you would think.

Ness. Look at that bair. C'mon. We all know he's still good. He's not godly anymore, but he can DEFINATELY hold his own.

Yoshi. He's a gangsta just itchin' to be recognised.

DK... That monkey got some speed and range...may be the most underrated on this list, and that's saying something.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
I think Link is under rated. His recovery skills are awesome and he can chainthrow a bit + he can downthrow into uptilt or up b :)

I am pretty good with him and so is my friend. Still not pro or something but we aren't bad, that's for sure :)

extragrandeben

Smash Journeyman
Khanczar said:
I would have to say... luigi. His name should be changed to wavegod... lol. Plus, multiple aerials and good recovery. Yep, pretty dern underrated.
Luigi is great. He`s overwhelming if with his SHWD. He also has a great recovery if you know how to use it correctly. Sure, pressing the B button 14 times may be too much, but the height gained from the tornado from even 8 times is more than enought to get him over to the stage. Also, the miss fire is great and pisses everyone off when you come back from 150 with good DI and a missfire in their face. :)

Oh, and being to get 60% combos on fast fallers is good too.

He´s too much good stuff rolled into one. Very underated I say.

Megachuk

Smash Ace
I'm actually shocked more people don't think Link is underrated. He's one of the only characters that is great against marth and peach.

Koric

Smash Apprentice
To me...no one is underrated
but I guess that is expected since my favorites are
jigglypuff
pichu
kirby
mario
samus

no kidding

Drosumn

Smash Cadet
I've gotta go with Zelda and G&W on this one.

Whenever you're Zelda too, you can always change character's depending on who they are.

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
Megachuk said:
I'm actually shocked more people don't think Link is underrated. He's one of the only characters that is great against marth and peach.
I get the feeling not a lot of people here use Link much. Only the few, more enlightened ones, do. /smiles slightly

Hands down, I think Zelda has to be the "weak" character that has surprised me the most. Nayru's Love to deflect and push back people during a melee, and obscenely powerful aerial kicks? Not to mention her f-smash has great range, AND puts on a ton of damage. She really makes a nice change from Sheik.

Ganondorf would be my second. Even though he's slow as hell, and his recovery is the worst that I've seen, it's insanely fun to just drop him in a melee and start hitting away. Doesnt' matter which move he uses, they're all powerful. (SHFFL his f-air?) The fact that he's really heavy for a character his size only gives him more chances to lay another uber-hit on his opponent.

But finally, LINK. So many people overlook how he's versatile and has a perfect balance between projectile and CQC attacks. I've seen Young Link mentioned many times, but even though Link is slower and his projectile game is slightly inferior to YL's, Link possesses way more KO-capable moves than his youthful self, and he has more CQC range than YL. Spin Spike, a very decent recovery system, and the ability to change up his game in a second more than makes Link formidable against mid to higher tier tourneys.

I think the reason why most people dislike Link is because he requires so much time and patience to really explore the depths of what he is capable of. He's basically the middle of everything...not too fast, not too slow, very powerful moves, but with lag....

It's just a shame he doesn't win more...except for Lord HDL, GERM, and Aniki, I haven't seen any other dedicated Link users other than myself and the ppl over at the Link forums.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
DarkKnight077 said:
Mario underrated? I don't like Doc..he is a bit heavier than Mario and he is doc torando is not that effective if anything, Luigi is underrated. Dk?..your kidding me he is a pretty good charcater if you know how to use him.
Whenever people start discussing how good Mario is they start talking about how much better Doc is. I don't like Doc either so I stick with Mario.

And I know DK can be used good but I've seen some people saying he sucks...

SoCalLove

Smash Cadet
It seems that throughout the course of this thread people have been listing characters that don't get used much or "suck". Well, I was curious, what characters would you say don't really get mastered but if they are can be quite competitive (not at the highest levels of play, of course, but up there)? From what I've read so far:

Ness, Zelda, DK, and Mewtwo are all great characters that are powerful if wielded properly and mastered, yes? Also, what does everyone think of Bowser? Gimpyfish does some amazing stuff with him...

Smash Master
Mr. Game and Watch is very underrated. His d-tilt is extremely fast and fairly strong. His nair has a bigger hitbox than Marth's f-smash, I think. All of his moves are disjointed, and most are very fast and strong. He rolls slow, but you shouldn't be rolling at this point. He techs slow, but that often throws off the opponent's timing. His shield sucks, but he can d-tilt to stop a lot of attacks on his shield. He's light, but that doesn't stop Fox...

cLueLeSs

Smash Cadet
Well, i think Mewtwo is really underrated, since, in my opinion, he is better than kirby. I don't care what the tier says. btw, Taj is one of my smash hero....He is right next to bombsoldier and KDJ and CJ. :) and Ken (NOT). But aniki, yes!

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
i think young link is DEFINTELY underrated she a counter for peach who is a higher character peach is undderated even though that a bit *off topic*.
ice climbers are overrated cause there really useless when split up

marth8000

Smash Cadet
i like all the underated characters except roy and pichu mainly there are better versions of them right there but sadly there underated for a reason there not the best but play who you want to link is not very good but i still play him

copper90

Smash Apprentice
Haha, those poor Ice Climbers. Whenever I use them, nobody takes them seriously. :(

Top Bottom