• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

smash puffle

Smash Ace
How would you react to a sudden announcement like this one?
Original tweet text: My uncle Dr. Jones works for Nintendo and he sent me this!
I believe that Nintendo would let an Indie developer make a new StarTropics or a remake of the original. That is a more likely scenario to me than Ninty making it themselves.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I believe that Nintendo would let an Indie developer make a new StarTropics or a remake of the original. That is a more likely scenario to me than Ninty making it themselves.
They lost the opportunity to make a 3D classic edition for the 3DS, similar to how they did for Kid Icarus and Kirby's Adventure. The game could have benefited from cleaner sprites and possibly allow players to choose between having the original stiff movement or movement similar to the one Zelda had. This could have solved the main problem people had with the game: the stiff movement.

Oddball

Smash Lord
When I made my Mike Mii, I went with the Smash Bros T-shirt look for him.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
I did do my part, but that site looks like a disaster of a circlejerk wrapped up in a circlejerk. It's going to be insanely difficult for any character that doesn't already have a positive score to get one.

And now trolls are abusing the "user-submitted images" feature to replace all the characters with ****y memes. It's a nice idea but desperately needs actual moderation.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Gex the Geko is the number 2 choice?

That's ... kinda odd.

Also I'm noticing that half the roster has negative points, but there doesn't seem to be a way to downvote.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
It looks like the owner has started hiring actual moderators to remove all the troll choices and removed downvotes to reduce the circlejerk, that's a big turnaround in quality. Gex and Aiai are obvious meme brigades, but now the only thing to do about that is find more support for your own faves. Hopefully Mike can rise up a bit soon.

It would have been kinda fun to have the "real character but not from a game" choices left in... Taking them out due to ineligibility is obviously still a net positive.

Oddball

Smash Lord
The site might be worth sticking around for. I changed a few images, upvoted the characters I liked, and added a couple of new ones (Ayumi Tachibana and Ganon). I'll probabaly add a few more later.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Guys... this could be HUGE for us. What if StarTropics gets localized in Japan like this? They clearly have no issue rereleasing an NES game thats already in NSO, so this makes it a real possibility now. (despite it probably going to be a limited release and not a remake which is what everyone wants...)

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I finally got into StarTropics more recently with NSO, and now I understand why people want this guy in Smash so much. I support this.

Also, I never really realized there were that many games Nintendo ignores because they were never released in Japan. Makes me feel a little bad for Balloon Kid and Gumshoe...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Guys... this could be HUGE for us. What if StarTropics gets localized in Japan like this? They clearly have no issue rereleasing an NES game thats already in NSO, so this makes it a real possibility now. (despite it probably going to be a limited release and not a remake which is what everyone wants...)
Yeah, here's hoping this is the beginning of a trend of old game localizations, even if I don't agree with how they're going about it. Japan deserves to play these games.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I can't help but think that Nintendo has been teasing us for something StarTropics related coming. If it turns out that StarTropics will be finally getting a Japanese localization, I would cry tears of joy for hours! I hope Sakurai knows about StarTropics and is willing to put Mike in the game if Nintendo localizes StarTropics.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Mike Jones traveled to the future and these were the results:

(shoutouts to Dr. Richie for these amazingly convincing edits)

Last edited:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
It seems like this second Fighters Pass has been selling well for Nintendo. If Mike Jones isn't part of the second Fighters Pass and a third Fighters Pass could become a reality, then we should let Nintendo of America know how much we want Mike in Smash! I'll be sending Nintendo of America a letter this week regarding why Mike should be in Smash and how much fans would love to see a third entry in the series. If you can send Nintendo a letter just like me, please do it! I don't think Nintendo receives that many letters asking for anything StarTropics related, but perhaps this is our chance to let them know! We can make Mike Jones in Smash become a reality, but we just have to voice our opinions to make that happen! Don't let this potential opportunity go to waste, let's do this for our favorite ace pitcher himself! UNDER THE SOUTHERN CROSS, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Whoever wrote this quote deserves a medal.

smash puffle

Smash Ace

For a bit of context for this tweet:
A recent HUGE leak happened a few weeks ago where a bunch of Capcom info got released into the public. One of these things was a possible localization of The Great Ace Attorney 1 & 2. What's more interesting is that it seems they changed the name of Sherlock Holmes to avoid... trademark issues? (I'm not too knowledgeable on this matter).
This gave me an interesting thought. What if the reason StarTropics 2 has taken so long to get rereleased on NSO is because of this Sherlock Holmes trademarking issue? What if Nintendo had to (once more) modify the game in order to avoid legal issues? It's something that would in theory make sense...

Oddball

Smash Lord
From what I understand, the character Sherlock Holmes is under pubic domain. However the later stories of Sherlock Holmes are still protected. So while you can freely use Sherlock, you're unable to mention the circumstances of his retirement, Watson's second wife, or any of the details in the last ten or so Holmes stories written.

Last edited:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
The following games have been finally released outside of Japan:
1. The Mysterious Murasame Castle
2. Panel de Pon
3. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
And now possibly Famicom Detective Club!
Could this somehow lead to Nintendo finally localize and release StarTropics in Japan?

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
A Nintendo announcement might happen next Tuesday, could this be something StarTropics related? The original tweet text only says that there is a rumor of something Nintendo related happening next Tuesday.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
A Nintendo announcement might happen next Tuesday, could this be something StarTropics related? The original tweet text only says that there is a rumor of something Nintendo related happening next Tuesday.
Just as a reminder: StarTropics celebrates it's 30th anniversary on TUESDAY.

EDIT: You know what? Now that I think about it, we could just end up getting Xenobladed again. XC2 shares the same anniversary day as StarTropics after all, so now I'm expecting the worst here.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this was related to the potential Tuesday announcement. Gameboy or N64 games coming to NSO? Neat, but could they announce this at a later date instead? That or it could be Xenoblade news as I said before...
Us StarTropics fans never seem to catch a break, even in the eve for the big 30th anniversary day.

Actually we're getting Xenobladed again anyways because of Sakurai's pic of the day most likely... :(

EDIT: OK so apparently the NSO update was because theres a new FW update for the Switch that lets you access it from the Home menu. I don't know what the announcement could be anymore...

Last edited:
Top Bottom