• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Gee, I check on the boards after a long hiatus and see not just this thread alive and kicking, but someone posted my art here, nifty.

Keep up the good fight, fellas!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Nintendo hasn't made a Startropics reference in years! What are they up to?View attachment 266386
Holy cow, is this for real?! Knowing our luck, I'm 99.99% sure Nintendo of Japan must have come up with something totally different and unrelated to StarTropics, but to see ANIMAL CROSSING (one of Nintendo's more 'modern-day' IPs) possibly reference StarTropics in this day and age...

Just... PLEASE tell me this is real...

Last edited:

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Holy cow, is this for real?! Knowing our luck, I'm 99.99% sure Nintendo of Japan must have come up with something totally different and unrelated to StarTropics, but to see ANIMAL CROSSING (one of Nintendo's more 'modern-day' IPs) possibly reference StarTropics in this day and age...

Just... PLEASE tell me this is real...
100% real. I did a double-take when I saw it and I even googled it to make sure they weren't referencing anything else.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
OK OK so it seems this reference is only in the English script and not in the Japanese one. But HOLY GUACAMOLE it is incredible that StarTropics finally gets an official reference after all these decades... the future looks brighter for us, if just slightly.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just for curiosity, does anyone know what that line is in Japanese?

Probably not given that the game came out today, but it would be cool to see what the reference was over there.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Just for curiosity, does anyone know what that line is in Japanese?

Probably not given that the game came out today, but it would be cool to see what the reference was over there.
As a matter of fact, we did find out. Unfortunately, all Gulliver says is basically "Thank you so much! You're such a kind person!" More than anything, it's likely just a nod to Startropics that the writers put in. I'll keep my eyes open for any other references, though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As a matter of fact, we did find out. Unfortunately, all Gulliver says is basically "Thank you so much! You're such a kind person!" More than anything, it's likely just a nod to Startropics that the writers put in. I'll keep my eyes open for any other references, though.
Well then, kudos to the localization team for sneaking that in.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I tweeted about this news and it has reached more than a 1000 likes. That's insane, none of the tweets I've made have reached this many people.
EDIT: its now 1600 likes at the time im writing this. animal crossing fans have no excuses now for playing startropics, what an eventful weekend.
Nvm its 3k likes now omg

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I tweeted about this news and it has reached more than a 1000 likes. That's insane, none of the tweets I've made have reached this many people.
EDIT: its now 1600 likes at the time im writing this. animal crossing fans have no excuses now for playing startropics, what an eventful weekend.
I'm guessing that it helps that Animal Crossing is a really popular topic right now, so it probably got out to more people. (though that hopefully doesn't get taken as trying to shoehorn popular topics into the tweets to make them more visible - that's spambot tactics haha)

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Hopefully that's hinting at exciting things to come for the Startropics series:)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Nvm its 3k likes now omg
Man, to think. This many people know/care about StarTropics still.

Oddball

Smash Lord
So we've got a reference to the game now.

Maybe somewhere they can sneak in a quick cameo, maybe not in Animal crossing, but somewhere.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
That Coralcola reference in New Horizons made me want a StarTropics jingle as my town tune. Has anyone done that yet?

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Haven't checked this thread in a looong while and i'm glad i did, that AC reference is gold

I don't know if it's been answered here already but did they ever get Startropics on the Nes online subspription in japan ?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Haven't checked this thread in a looong while and i'm glad i did, that AC reference is gold

I don't know if it's been answered here already but did they ever get Startropics on the Nes online subspription in japan ?
Going by this, no.

There are a few other games that Japan didn't get, like Adventures of Lolo 1 (though they got the sequel), though there were plenty of games that Japan got but other countries didn't. (Fire Emblem, Famicom Wars, Joy Mech Fight... I get why, though, since those games weren't released outside of Japan and didn't have official translations, unlike something like Mother 1/Earthbound Beginnings)

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I’ll support, Mike’s cool. It’s so intriguing to have a game that’s classic in the U.S but unknown to Japan, it’s almost always the other way around. Are there any Japanese fan translations? Like how games get fan translations to English, does the opposite happen as well?

That AC reference is gold. Love it when old games get a nod.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I’ll support, Mike’s cool. It’s so intriguing to have a game that’s classic in the U.S but unknown to Japan, it’s almost always the other way around. Are there any Japanese fan translations? Like how games get fan translations to English, does the opposite happen as well?
The guy who made the English fan translation of Mother 3 seemed interested in doing it, but he was too busy to work on it. There's currently no Japanese fan translation of this game as far as we know. There is a completed Spanish translation, however.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Well, at least panel de pon is here... How long do we have to wait for Zoda's Revenge!?
Also super punch out is out now in japan as well.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, at least panel de pon is here... How long do we have to wait for Zoda's Revenge!?
Also super punch out is out now in japan as well.
Not much, hopefully!

With Panel de Pon in the West and Super Punch-Out in Japan, I think it might be only a matter of time until StarTropics gets some major attention. Might be in the form of Zoda's Revenge for us, but I think the bigger milestone would be if Japan got the original.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
This was posted on the Geno thread.
11 weeks until August and about 15 until September and at least one of the weeks is going to be dedicated to Smash. This isn't to say that Nintendo would fill all of these by themselves but they could honestly do most with minimal effort by themselves if a good number of the lingering rumors come true:

-Pikmin 3 Deluxe
-Super Mario 3D Hurled Deluxe
-Mario Remasters (might even be split up)
-Zelda Remasters (same as above)
-2D Metroid
-Prime Trilogy
-Tomodachi Life/Miitopia
-DK platformer
-Wario Land/Ware
-Fire Emblem 6/7 Remake
-Dead franchise #1 (potentially multiple announcements)
-Dead franchise #2 (potentially two announcements)
-SNES dump

This doesn't even include third party announcements.

While on the topic, certain SNES games being held off is pretty notable now. If you look at the SNES Online now, there's literally only three games tied to first party franchises from the SNES Classic that are MIA and it's a pretty distinct pachyderm in the foyer when we're only three weeks out from when E3 was originally scheduled. Of course, this is made even more blatant given they decided to release a 25 YEAR OLD JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE GAME before them so, to quote Christian Bale's Batman "WHERE ARE THEY?!?"
I sure hope one of these dead franchises is StarTropics. I've been waiting for Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II to come to NSO for a whole year and I really hope they have a good reason for the long wait period. Not to mention a Japan release of ST1 which could finally be a possibility, and the Animal Crossing reference gave me a lot of hope for more StarTropics anything moving forward. NoA opened the floodgates, and I wish for the Year of StarTropics to come to fruition in any official capacity, despite my skepticism...

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I don't know about you guys, but I think the podcast episode might get delayed due to... recent events. I mean, if the PS5 event got delayed, I think this might get delayed as well. Any thoughts on this?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, might be. Don't know when it's supposed to happen, but if it's soon, I think they'll probably delay out of respect. There's more important things that need to be discussed...

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie you guys... this kind of hurts. They DO play StarTropics, but it's not advertised in the thumbnail at all and it's just briefly mentioned in the description. Most of the spotlight got taken by Xenoblade. I get that it's a new game and all, but COME ON YOU SHOULD'VE ADVERTISED XENOBLADE ON YOUR TWEET INSTEAD OF ST, so when the episode comes out, ST would be a nice surprise for fans.
Compared to how they advertised this episode originally, it was genuinely a dissapointment.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Top Bottom