• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
I'm new in here. I will love to see Mike Jones in Smash Ultimate! He was a underrated character... I drew a fan art of him preparing for Smash with my wanted newcomers that I drew from my tablet. Hopefully, we'll see him in direct tomorrow...
Wanted Newcomers.jpg

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Awesome!
Nice to see more support!

Too bad we didn't get him this direct. Hopefully the next, though! He's always my most wanted character, and he'll always be!

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I wouldn't expect him in this direct. They're still building hype for the game and they want to come out swinging. I wouldn't even be surprise if Mike Jones isn't revealed at all and people just find him by unlocking the game. I really hope Sakurai does that to at least one or two characters.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I wouldn't expect him in this direct. They're still building hype for the game and they want to come out swinging. I wouldn't even be surprise if Mike Jones isn't revealed at all and people just find him by unlocking the game. I really hope Sakurai does that to at least one or two characters.
Didn't Sakurai say all characters would be revealed before launch

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
I’m a big Mike Jones supporter. I believe that if Sakurai continues the trend of adding in weird, funny retro/NES characters in each game, Mike is the best candidate. I could also see him as an Assist Trophy, but I would love to see more StarTropics representation in Smash in general.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Ah that's a bummer. I would like to have the surprise while playing it. And the idea there could be some secret characters still hidden in the game.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, Dark Samus is the 3rd Smash Fighter to be playable that was made by a Western company, AND the first to have been made by America. Think this means anything for good ol' Mike?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So Zoda changes shapes, if often purple, and is from space...

And Zoda from F Zero seems to have a different design in every game, is purple, and is from space....

Welcome to... the mushroom zone...

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I wonder if Mike could be an echo of the Belmonts? His yo yo would be like the whip but with shorter range and quicker.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know, Dark Samus is the 3rd Smash Fighter to be playable that was made by a Western company, AND the first to have been made by America. Think this means anything for good ol' Mike?
Sadly, not really. Because he was created by a Japanese Team for western audiences. So he's still kind of Japanese origins...

Well, since we're looking for positive points.. The NES Classic just became the highest selling console of this gen. And you know what game is included there? Well, ST obviously. This means that game has arrived to more hands than possibly ever before!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah, not too shabby at all.
Kind of cel-shady though. But pretty darn good too.

Wish this was real.
I find it neat that people usually go for the more child-looking version from the manual. Nothing against it, but it's nice.

D

Deleted member

You know Mike Jones, you're a bit of an unlucky duck. Series fell into obscurity, 2nd game was on NES when it really should have been a Super Nintendo game, been passed up on every time so far for being a Retro Smash character, and you'll probably get denied again since it's really looking like Ultimate might break that tradition.

Shame really because Good ol Banana loving Mike Jones is one of my top 2 retro picks for Smash. So yeah, you can call me a supporter.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I played the game when the NES Classic Edition Launched and instantly regretted not supporting Mike Jones when I saw support for the character during Brawl. The game was really good, hard as nails but not in a bad way ( okay well that last level on the space ship was extremely infuriating )... I still need to get around to the sequel.

There's not a lot of characters left that I want REALLY REALLY BADLY, but I would probably count Mike among them. Unfortunately my hopes aren't high... at the very least... I really want that sweet, sweet cave music to appear in Smash Bros. Somewhere.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Feel free to add me to the list of supporters! I've always loved the retro picks added to each game and I really hope we get one this time around too. Mike would be an awesome pick and I think it'd be neat to see how they update his design.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I've wanted Mike since the N64 days. I'm tried of how often Startropics gets ignored in Nintendo history...so far there's only been one sticker in Smash...ONLY one! Even if he doesn't make it I'd at least like to see a trophy

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've wanted Mike since the N64 days. I'm tried of how often Startropics gets ignored in Nintendo history...so far there's only been one sticker in Smash...ONLY one! Even if he doesn't make it I'd at least like to see a trophy
Actually, ST didn't Even get a sticker. All it did was get mentioned in the Chronicles section.

The only good ST related thing to happen was it getting included in the NES Classic mini. And it's picked the curiosity of quite a few people already. (But not enough to make an impact, sadly).

D

Deleted member

Hey. Just to let you know guys.

Tomorrow is the last Smash Direct before Launch. Since this thread was made by me, i felt it was necessary to mention this. I don't expect Mike Jones at all, but even despite that, it was a fun ride while it lasted.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, I've been wondering this myself. Do any of you think Mike Jones will be a Spirit? Alongside others who didn't appear in Japan like Mr. Stevenson?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, I want to think that, but considering Smash's treatment of Western-only games...
True, but considering the level of obscurity Spirits are reaching, I don’t think they’ll skip a relatively better-known guy like Mike Jones.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
It puzzles me why Startropics wasn't released in Japan even when it came time for the Virtual Console. What if the DLC choices, which are reported to be Nintendo's, was arranged by region like one is NOJ's choice, NOA's choice, etc?

Although I'd like Mike as a playable character, I'll take anything from Startropics.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
True, but considering the level of obscurity Spirits are reaching, I don’t think they’ll skip a relatively better-known guy like Mike Jones.
I've got some bad news for you...

Based on the list of spirits that's been datamined, Mike Jones isn't in. Again. As unlikely as it sounds, I'd love for Mike to be playable. He's my #2 most wanted character (just behind Banjo).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've got some bad news for you...

Based on the list of spirits that's been datamined, Mike Jones isn't in. Again. As unlikely as it sounds, I'd love for Mike to be playable. He's my #2 most wanted character (just behind Banjo).
Damn, that sucks.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Aw, really? I already got the unfortunate news that the Pilotwings cast (both SNES AND N64) don't appear as Spirits, and now this?

I honestly thought that with what little effort and little impact Spirits had on Ultimate (in a manner of speaking), characters like Mike or Gumshoe's Mr. Stevenson (I imagine that if Mike couldn't even appear as a Spirit, he's most likely not there either), would have little to no prob getting in via that.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
I don't want to get my hopes up, but maybe... he'll come as DLC.

People had been theorizing anyone who hasn't shown up as spirits yet is included within the upcoming DLC.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I heard that Smash Ultimate will apparently be adding Spirits via periodical updates. Maybe characters like Mike, Mr. Stevenson, and the Pilotwings characters still have a chance?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey guys, I heard that Smash Ultimate will apparently be adding Spirits via periodical updates. Maybe characters like Mike, Mr. Stevenson, and the Pilotwings characters still have a chance?
Here’s hoping. They’re big omissions. I mean, Pilotwings has a stage and music! How’d they miss the .pngs?

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I've noticed some things that may help Mike out for DLC inclusion.

I'm not saying he'll get in, but I just want to convince you that his chances may be bigger than we thought. Here's some crude evidence for his inclusion:

-"Unexpected" Lineup
Reggie stated that Nintendo was shooting for an "unexpected" DLC lineup. Mike Jones would definitely shock quite a few people if he were to make it in.

-No Old Character Yet
In every Smash game (excluding the N64), we would get a "retro" character, if you will. In Melee, we got Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch. In Brawl, we got Pit and ROB. In SSB4, we got Duck Hunt. We dont have any retro character in Ultimate yet, which makes Mike a candidate.

-No Spirit
We're still unsure if spirits deconfirm characters, but if they do, Mike has absolutely no spirit from his series in the game at all. Perhaps, should he be added, they would add a collection of spirits from his series?

-BeastBall and Banana Gun
These new Smash items seemingly came out of nowhere. They're not from any represented series, not to mention that they are both Startropics-esque items. Even though those items themselves dont appear in Startropics, it's not the first time that Smash has taken creative liberties.

-New ROB color
A character in Startropics, named NAVCOM, is extremely similar to ROB in appearance, only that NAVCOM is blue instead of gray. ROB has a new blue skin in Ultimate. Could this be a nod to Startropics?

-Is Smash-Ready
Mike has everything he needs to be a great Smash fighter. He's got the moveset, the color swaps, the taunts, the music, etc.

Anyway, that's just the stuff I noticed. Any comments or additions are welcome. Remember that I dont think he'll make it in, but he would be a very pleasant surprise.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well considering K Rool is the only character who hasn't had a game in the last 5 years I think it's pretty safe to call him the retro character.

Top Bottom