• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unbanning the Wobbles

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't mind playing against wobbling. But I don't believe that many of the communities skilled players would like practicing for a tournament for weeks only to be destroyed by some kid who learned the wobbles after 2 weeks of playing ice climbers.

wow, are you serious? its yet another person who believes that wobbling makes you able to beat people are actually skilled at this game. if some noob kid comes in and knows how to wavedash and wobble and has only been playing for a short time, he WILL get beat very early on. i'm so tired of hearing that exact argument about how some kid will start playing out of nowhere and win because of this. that will not happen.

I think it's pointless because I don't think this topic would have been debated for so long in any other community. At this point most fighting communities would have moved on to "Ok, how can we counter this?" instead of still debating it. However smash is very different and I am having trouble understanding why the wobble is such a hot debate.
i'm going to completely agree with you on this. its very true. I play or have played other games that are far more broken and people moved on and came up with ways to avoid it or beat it.

why dont people try doing that at all? then you wont have to complain about it, you can just punish people for it

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Chaddd: Your point would be very much worth taking into consideration if we had evidence that this sort of thing actually happened. Please show me a situation where some newb played the game for a couple weeks, learned the infinite, then went and destroyed legitimately skilled players with it.

I haven't met or heard of anybody who just magically came out of nowhere and trashed people using it. Some people would argue that *I* did that, except I'd been playing the IC's seriously for about 8 months prior to NCT2, had played Smash competitively for a year and a half before THAT, and spent an inordinate amount of time practicing and learning with other skilled players.

What I don't understand is how people can confuse "broken" with "powerful." Arguments like "you wouldn't have won the match without it" are meritless, as far as I'm concerned. If a Fox landed 3 KO's using up-throw up-air, you could say that he wouldn't have won the match without that combo. That doesn't equate to brokenness.

So now we have to tackle whether or not the "grab equals a lost stock" argument is valid. Yes, it's POWERFUL. That's not even the topic of debate. But is it broken?

Broken means game-breaking. It means that somebody with a lot of skill, knowledge, and effort under their belt could lose to somebody who had only mastered the strategy in question. It might also mean that playing the game becomes exclusively about using that strategy, and skill with that strategy determines how good you are. With those criteria established is the infinite broken?

I contend that it is NOT broken for the following reasons:

1) It is situational. Nana has to be close by for the infinite to take place. The opponent can't wiggle out before you begin. Lastly, the IC's are NOT Fox, Marth, or Sheik. They don't have the same capacity for landing grabs. They can be out maneuvered, camped, grabbed first, split up, out-ranged, and when they FINALLY get in... Nana could easily be dead. In order to land it, you must establish the appropriate situation using spacing, precision, and prediction--essential skills of the good player. It won't just magically fall into your lap... unless your opponent is bad. Opponents who just run into things also lose to Peaches who do nothing but down-smash and Marths who forward-smash. We don't say the moves are broken, we say the players need practice.

(actually, we do say the moves are broken, but people who say those things are rarely taken seriously)

2) It is hard to land. People say they do it their first time in training mode. That's fine. That's fantastic. But I have only played two people who were good enough to consistently find openings for the technique and then perform it on command, Chu Dat being one of them. I played people who were, strictly speaking, worse than me and who tried to infinite me. They couldn't land it. I wiggled out, I avoided grabs, I gimped Nana, and played the matchup correctly. Any "lucky" grabs they landed did not satisfy the conditions and I escaped. In fact, they were so intent on landing those infinites that they ignored other useful combos, and I won by even larger margines that I normally would have.

This is the question I pose: If a crappy player can grab you enough times to infinite you four times and win without doing anything else... then doesn't that make you a crappy player too? And if they didn't JUST infinite, but had to put you in positions where infinites could seal their victory and, knowing this, you allowed it to happen... did you deserve to win?

chaddd

Smash Lord
Chaddd: Your point would be very much worth taking into consideration if we had evidence that this sort of thing actually happened. Please show me a situation where some newb played the game for a couple weeks, learned the infinite, then went and destroyed legitimately skilled players with it.

I haven't met or heard of anybody who just magically came out of nowhere and trashed people using it. Some people would argue that *I* did that, except I'd been playing the IC's seriously for about 8 months prior to NCT2, had played Smash competitively for a year and a half before THAT, and spent an inordinate amount of time practicing and learning with other skilled players.

What I don't understand is how people can confuse "broken" with "powerful." Arguments like "you wouldn't have won the match without it" are meritless, as far as I'm concerned. If a Fox landed 3 KO's using up-throw up-air, you could say that he wouldn't have won the match without that combo. That doesn't equate to brokenness.

So now we have to tackle whether or not the "grab equals a lost stock" argument is valid. Yes, it's POWERFUL. That's not even the topic of debate. But is it broken?

Broken means game-breaking. It means that somebody with a lot of skill, knowledge, and effort under their belt could lose to somebody who had only mastered the strategy in question. It might also mean that playing the game becomes exclusively about using that strategy, and skill with that strategy determines how good you are. With those criteria established is the infinite broken?

I contend that it is NOT broken for the following reasons:

1) It is situational. Nana has to be close by for the infinite to take place. The opponent can't wiggle out before you begin. Lastly, the IC's are NOT Fox, Marth, or Sheik. They don't have the same capacity for landing grabs. They can be out maneuvered, camped, grabbed first, split up, out-ranged, and when they FINALLY get in... Nana could easily be dead. In order to land it, you must establish the appropriate situation using spacing, precision, and prediction--essential skills of the good player. It won't just magically fall into your lap... unless your opponent is bad. Opponents who just run into things also lose to Peaches who do nothing but down-smash and Marths who forward-smash. We don't say the moves are broken, we say the players need practice.

(actually, we do say the moves are broken, but people who say those things are rarely taken seriously)

2) It is hard to land. People say they do it their first time in training mode. That's fine. That's fantastic. But I have only played two people who were good enough to consistently find openings for the technique and then perform it on command, Chu Dat being one of them. I played people who were, strictly speaking, worse than me and who tried to infinite me. They couldn't land it. I wiggled out, I avoided grabs, I gimped Nana, and played the matchup correctly. Any "lucky" grabs they landed did not satisfy the conditions and I escaped. In fact, they were so intent on landing those infinites that they ignored other useful combos, and I won by even larger margines that I normally would have.

This is the question I pose: If a crappy player can grab you enough times to infinite you four times and win without doing anything else... then doesn't that make you a crappy player too? And if they didn't JUST infinite, but had to put you in positions where infinites could seal their victory and, knowing this, you allowed it to happen... did you deserve to win?
I see exactly what you're saying, but just because the technique exists doesn't make it any different than the Freeze Glitch being used to push the opponent off the edge. It's hard to land, yeah, but just because some people lose using it as a main focus, doesn't mean that using it requires it to be your main focus in a match. It's just like landing a chain grab, all it requires is skilled synchronization and a mind game into a grab for the wobbles to work. Also, I've seen Chu Dat grab with Popo and down throw chain throw with Popo alone until Nana re-synced at which point he went directly into the infinite. It requires landing one grab for a free stock, when there remains no chance to escape at medium percents. There is no other character in the game that can use their grab to take an effortless guaranteed stock from one grab.

The technique doesn't bother me, it's just the skill required to perform it. When most people wobble, they can carry on conversations and even get up and walk away from the screen, provided they keep the controller in their hands. I've done this on numerous occasions.

No other character has the ability to convert a single grab into a guaranteed 999% damage or an effortlessly taken stock.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
chaddd: Skill involved is not a requisite for determining whether something should be banned. This is because, if knowing a technique gives a player concrete advantages, they will master it regardless of difficulty. There is, of course, a certain limit to this... but if you try landing an infinite against a really good player, you will find that it's ridiculously hard. If you get lucky once and get it... so what, that's just a single stock. If you get lucky four times... odds are it isn't luck, but your opponent running into grabs.

chaddd said:
all it requires is skilled synchronization and a mind game into a grab
Don't we consider an IC player who can remain synchronized and manage to land grabs on characters with better range and speed a good player? That would mean landing the infinite takes skill.

Also, I've also done the d-throw chaingrab into an infinite, but that's character specific. Admittedly, it works on about 1/3 of the cast... but moves like shine spiking also work on that much of the cast. In a similar vein, we argue that Sheik's chaingrab isn't broken, regardless of the fact that it works on half the cast and goes from 0-death, or at least 0-stupidly high percent and a textbook edgeguard situation. This is even considering that Sheik is already at a ridiculous advantage compared to most of the characters she can already chaingrab. And as far as ease of performance goes, I've been chaingrabbed by people who never played Sheik in their life. It's pretty lame to have happen... but it's still legal.

The reason for this is because you still see people playing those CG'able characters beating the CG'er. Admittedly, it's a very uphill battle, but it's not so uphill that the lower tier can't win.

As for the "carrying on a conversation" argument, it helps if you think of it like a shinespike where the opponent takes twenty seconds to respawn. You're dead once it starts, the only difference that the opponent has to at least continue doing the maneuver after you've "died." Considering the numerous ways you can die at low percent, it seems that this one is just a more lengthy and irritating method.

And for all the people who STILL think it's easy to do, I just recommend that you try doing it on somebody really good. If you think it's easy to grab people and do the infinite over and over again, find a skilled player and give it a shot. If they have experience against IC's... I doubt you'll win. Unless you were already close in skill to them in the first place.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
yea, that match has been brought up before. proof that wobbling doesnt make you the better player. if your a scrub, you ARE still a scrub

Binx

Smash Master
A scrub that wobbles is still a scrub.
Good reference lol. Seriously though people you need to realize how hard it is to get a synched grab on good players, at a low level game where I can shield grab 50% of someones attacks sure I am gonna win pretty easily with it, but I was going to win anyways because enough dthrow upsmashes is all it takes.

Where Wobbling is needed to even the playing field vs the top 5, when you have an opportunity to wobble it means your opponent made a huge mistake and if you dont wobble and take that stock you will probably lose, and if you do wobble and take that stock there is a good chance you will still lose.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
meh i disagree with wobbling but i understand completely that allowing it will inevitably boost the metagame. I think the problem is that at pro level wobbling is definetly not overpowered but at lower skill lvls it can be ridiculous because the disparity between skill needed to do it and skill needed to avoid is so large. I would agrre if it was banned but i also realize thats probably just my ineer sscrub not wanting to have to learn more about avoiding grabs. w/e brawl will soon be pressed against our collective loins and we can rejoice and all the IC players can begin searching for new infinites and then the argument can begin anew

Shadowex3

Smash Apprentice
ffs it's simple, if it's a guaranteed kill like the various permanent-freeze-in-place glitches then ban it. If it can be avoided, countered, or gotten out of then don't ban it. Either it breaks the game or it doesn't, wobbling's a ***** but no more so than L cancelling or wavedashing.

Top Bottom