• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Yoshi

#swag

Smash Rookie
NNID
ryangalindo
I too have trouble figuring out what happened in that scenario. Having previously gone frame by frame, it seemed to me that Yoshi did tank the hit, as I thought that where the red spark first appears is where the raptor boost hitbox first comes out. But looking at it again, it seems like I was only seeing what I wanted to see, and the situation that Delta described is more accurate. This is why I have still never claimed that the move has armor because it is still uncertain for the video, at least for me.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised that this hasn't been noticed or discussed but - Yoshi's dair doesn't cancel when he hits the ground while using it against Falcon. He continues to to hit Falcon for all hits of the attack until ending the attack with a new full stomach down faceplant on the ground. I've been through it frame by frame multiple times and I'm certain that his move is intentionally ensuring that all hits connect before allowing him to perform the new face down landing animation.

In 4 he cancels the move and lands crosslegged, causing hits of the attack to not connect.

If this is a change we see in the release version it would be huge for Yoshi's usage of dair against enemies on the ground. Guaranteeing his high percent damage or high shield damage.

Last edited:

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
you know what I'm curious of, would any of you guys want Kirby's inhale buff for Yoshi's neutral B?

for those who don't know Kirby can now eat projectiles and items to neutralize them, he can then either swallow them to gain health or spite them out to use them as a projectile.

considering that Yoshi is kinda known for the same thing I think it would be cool conceptually, plus it would give Yoshi another use for what is honestly a very poor version of a command grab

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
you know what I'm curious of, would any of you guys want Kirby's inhale buff for Yoshi's neutral B?

for those who don't know Kirby can now eat projectiles and items to neutralize them, he can then either swallow them to gain health or spite them out to use them as a projectile.

considering that Yoshi is kinda known for the same thing I think it would be cool conceptually, plus it would give Yoshi another use for what is honestly a very poor version of a command grab
I mean, you can't go wrong with free utility.

Egg Lay was only a (somewhat) poor command grab in Smash 4 (and Melee I guess?). In Brawl, it's low cooldown made it one of Yoshi's stronger options, especially when coupled with DJC. But command grabs can't really ever be totally awful, they tend to defy typical Smash interactions (shield being typically safe against airborne opponents, for example).

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Was confused cause he says falcon, first guess when I made the post was him meaning to say Megaman.
Yeah that's an error on my part. I was probably looking at the bomb more closely at the time, definitely meant megaman.

Could be wrong on the move continuing for all hits but it does feel like he hovers longer on megaman instead of travelling straight through him to the ground. It felt different for me on watching it and then when noticing that the landing animation for the move is different it really confirmed that the mechanics of the move may have seen a change.

If true, shorthop>dair may become the most optimal and devastating option for many parries. I'm particularly excited as parry instead of perfect shield feels like a buff to Yoshi's defensive options.

Last edited:

Yoshi43DS

Smash Rookie
In a chair thinking about Pokemon Trainer amiibo
Yoshi, the character we all love and support. His smash 4 game was OK, but I think Ultimate, will be the golden age of the Yosh. I have 3 supporting reasons
1. Directional air dodge. Have tou ever felt like yoshi can be easily edgeguarded? Well the directional air dodge can help. No longer having to completely rely on the double jump even with the armor will be a huge relief. It just ups Yoshi’s aerial game even more. It’s gonn atke Yoshi to new heights. (Bad pun intented.) I think you understand how this can help Yoshi
2. Bouncing eggs. As we saw in the Yoshi trailer, his Up-B eggs now bounce! This improves his spacing.
Before I talk about #3, DID YOU GUYS SEE HIS GRAB RANGE IN THE TRAILER?? Ok I’m done
3. The demo. Notice how Yoshi wasn’t in the demo at E3? I theorize that that’s because he is undergoing changes and they only included the finished characters.
What are your guys’ thoughs on this? Do you agree? What changes could Yoshi be going through? Do you think he is going through any? Tell me in the comments!

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yoshi, the character we all love and support. His smash 4 game was OK, but I think Ultimate, will be the golden age of the Yosh. I have 3 supporting reasons
1. Directional air dodge. Have tou ever felt like yoshi can be easily edgeguarded? Well the directional air dodge can help. No longer having to completely rely on the double jump even with the armor will be a huge relief. It just ups Yoshi’s aerial game even more. It’s gonn atke Yoshi to new heights. (Bad pun intented.) I think you understand how this can help Yoshi
2. Bouncing eggs. As we saw in the Yoshi trailer, his Up-B eggs now bounce! This improves his spacing.
Before I talk about #3, DID YOU GUYS SEE HIS GRAB RANGE IN THE TRAILER?? Ok I’m done
3. The demo. Notice how Yoshi wasn’t in the demo at E3? I theorize that that’s because he is undergoing changes and they only included the finished characters.
What are your guys’ thoughs on this? Do you agree? What changes could Yoshi be going through? Do you think he is going through any? Tell me in the comments!
I'm not sure if this is true, but I hear airdodging is also possible only once in Smash Bros Ultimate (at least, until you land again). If this is true, then this directional airdodge will definitely benefit Yoshi, since Yoshi still likely has super armor to his Double Jump, allowing him to still keep the directional air dodge for when he really needs that.

As for Yoshi not being in the demo, there could be a plethora of reasons for Yoshi not being there really. He tends to be excluded from these things a lot, for whatever reason. And even IF he's excluded for undergoing changes, who's to say that they will be changes that will actually benefit Yoshi? For all we know, they could lower his jumping power, revert the bouncing eggs decision, and whatever else. It's really far, far too early to say if this will be the golden age for Yoshi. It'd be cool, but don't jump the gun on this just yet. Yoshi was also considered to be very strong in early days of Smash 4 after all but at the moment he's again in the bottom half of the tier list. The same could happen for Ultimate. Either way, don't count your chickens (or Yoshis, I guess) before they hatch.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm not sure if this is true, but I hear airdodging is also possible only once in Smash Bros Ultimate (at least, until you land again). If this is true, then this directional airdodge will definitely benefit Yoshi, since Yoshi still likely has super armor to his Double Jump, allowing him to still keep the directional air dodge for when he really needs that.

As for Yoshi not being in the demo, there could be a plethora of reasons for Yoshi not being there really. He tends to be excluded from these things a lot, for whatever reason. And even IF he's excluded for undergoing changes, who's to say that they will be changes that will actually benefit Yoshi? For all we know, they could lower his jumping power, revert the bouncing eggs decision, and whatever else. It's really far, far too early to say if this will be the golden age for Yoshi. It'd be cool, but don't jump the gun on this just yet. Yoshi was also considered to be very strong in early days of Smash 4 after all but at the moment he's again in the bottom half of the tier list. The same could happen for Ultimate. Either way, don't count your chickens (or Yoshis, I guess) before they hatch.
Yoshi's neglect in Smash should concern you more than it does. I would think that he'd be shown a lot more care and respect if the developers know that his fans are TRULY passionate and doesn't just roll with the wind every time he gets sidelined. I WANT to think that the reason he's kept under wraps is to rework him to be more viable (like they promised last time) but I fear that's not gonna happen because Sakurai doesn't catch wind of the passion of his fans. If Yoshi ends up not living up to those expectations and you, Yosher, are okay with that, that's your perogative (the "Way of the Yoshi" as you put it at one point). But I see it as a vicious cycle

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yoshi's neglect in Smash should concern you more than it does. I would think that he'd be shown a lot more care and respect if the developers know that his fans are TRULY passionate and doesn't just roll with the wind every time he gets sidelined. I WANT to think that the reason he's kept under wraps is to rework him to be more viable (like they promised last time) but I fear that's not gonna happen because Sakurai doesn't catch wind of the passion of his fans. If Yoshi ends up not living up to those expectations and you, Yosher, are okay with that, that's your perogative (the "Way of the Yoshi" as you put it at one point). But I see it as a vicious cycle
Y'know, in the end, it's just a video game dude. The developers are giving it their all to deliver a quality product. Again, I would absolutely love to see Yoshi get more attention. I really, really would. Heck, I was really upset when the only way he appeared in Smash Wii U's intro was when he got beaten up (not helped by the fact that he didn't appear in any of the newcomer videos). That felt really disrespectful. But it's still just a game.

Aside from that, EVERY character has their share of fans. Some more than others. And truthfully, Yoshi just so happens to be one of the least popular characters in Smash. Because he just doesn't really stand out to a lot of people. Of the original 8, he seems to be the most easily replaced by a lot of people. I mean.. Mario's popularity should be obvious, DK is badass and is a pretty important gaming icon, Link is the OG swordsman and the main character from the highly popular Zelda series, Samus is the OG female, sexy and badass, Fox has Smash popularity solely for the fact of how good he's been in some entries, Kirby is Sakurai's baby and represents his own fairly popular series, and Pikachu is... well.. Pokémon's mascot, and I don't think I have to explain Pokémon's popularity. All of these characters were also fairly easy to play in the original game, due to fairly standard jumping abilities as well as a proper up-B recovery.

Yoshi, on that note, represents just his own side-series of games that aren't quite as popular as most of the other original 8 character's franchises, and he has a very awkward playstyle compared to them as well and really doesn't shine through with how good he is in any of the games. To many people, he's just.. kinda there. They don't necessarily hate Yoshi, but they don't particularly care for him either. Yoshi doesn't spark much hype for the majority of the Smash Bros community. And the Smash development team knows this. Ergo, they don't give him very much priority when it comes to these things, because sadly, he really is the most forgettable of the original 8.

I really, really wish it was different as well, but I just try not to let it bother me too much. It still does, mind you, but that's when I think about what Yoshi himself would think of it, making me come to the conclusion that really, he'd just be happy to be part of the fray in the first place, because that's just the type of guy he is. I mean, just look at him when he loses in Smash. Have you seen that adorable mug of his while he's there, clapping? He still looks really happy just to congratulate the opponent! He's not a sore loser type of guy. And frankly, that's what I try to be like as well. Just to be happy to have my favourite thing be represented, and to not be too upset when this thing happens to get sidelined, no matter how much I'd love for this thing to get more attention and love. Ergo, 'the Way of the Yoshi'.

Whatever the case, Yoshi will still be in the final product, so getting upset that he's not in the demo is kind of... pointless, honestly. Sure, it gives us Yoshi fans less to look at and analyze right now, but is that really such a bad thing? To quote Delta-cod in the Yoshi Social thread, ''if no news about Yoshi comes out before the game releases we can go in completely blind and really enjoy exploring, rather than having the actual game release be kinda meh because we already know everything.'' And I completely agree with this, fun as it would be to be able to pick apart every little bit of Yoshi footage if he were playable in the demo. Besides... there's worse things going on in the world than your favourite fictional character not being playable in a demo of all things. A demo that many of us don't even get to play in the first place.

So, tl;dr: no, I do not agree that Yoshi's neglect in Smash should concern me more. Yes, I love Yoshi. Yes, he's my favourite video game character, both in- and outside of Smash. Yes, I'd love more Yoshi representation in Smash, and for Yoshi to be a better character overall. But it's still just a video game. At the end of the day, I'm really just glad he's in Smash Bros at all and actually being part of the Original 8 means he has little to no chance of ever being cut, even if he and his franchise tend to get sidelined. Besides, it's way too early to say how much Yoshi will actually be represented in this game. You also have to keep in mind that, during Smash 4's, the latest Yoshi game had been released many years ago. Sure, Yoshi's New Island came out, but Smash was already fairly far in development at that time, and New Island wasn't even that good or popular of a game, and the same could somewhat be said for Yoshi's Island DS (even if it was still much better than New Island), which was the most recent game before New Island, which, again, came out way before this time. We were lucky that Woolly World was also in development at the time. And now, things are looking more positively; Yoshi's Woolly World is still fairly recent, and it's a great game to boot, AND Yoshi has yet another game on the horizon. So please, calm your eggs, and wait to see what the development team has in store for us Yoshi fans in the final product. And if he ends up not being improved, just keep in mind how many characters there actually are in this game. Balancing a character roster of this size is hard work, and they have other things on their mind than making one particular character more viable, especially when he never was outright terrible to begin with.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
I personally feel the character is on point. All of his mechanics feel perfect from the other games, I feel like people’s egg lobbing abilities and keeping the Yosho bomb for the appropriate moment are going to make or break this character. Dosnt feel low tier at all to me. Been playing since the days of 64 and Yosh has come a long way.

I also want to say one thing, just cause a character is low tier dosnt mean you can’t completely wreck people and be a true ambassador for the characters play... If you really dedicate yourself to this guy he’s got scary potential. Beating cloud is so hilarious using Yoshi up to this point.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
The Eggs bouncing off the ground and the pummel animation are already talked about. But I also noticed that his back air has less hits and are probably easier to connect all hits. And one VERY brief thing I noticed was that when Captain Falcon hits Yoshi while he's performing Down B, he's not hit out of it.
It's been about 6 months since Ultimate was released, and so far, it appears that the Yoshi in Ultimate may be superior to his appearance in Smash 4 (i.e. bouncing eggs, combos with his up-air, etc.) I've heard Yoshi is good in Ultimate, but the question is, will he be considered a top-tier character? Has it been enough time to determine this, or is more waiting required? Has anything changed in the 6 months since this thread was started?

As for Yoshi not being in the demo, there could be a plethora of reasons for Yoshi not being there really. He tends to be excluded from these things a lot, for whatever reason. [...] Yoshi just so happens to be one of the least popular characters in Smash. [...] he really is the most forgettable of the original 8.
I've noticed this -- Yoshi does get excluded a lot for some reason. Do the game developers and marketers believe he is less important than other characters? Do they ignore him because they perceive him to be unpopular? I don't know, but at least he is included in Ultimate's cover art and box art in most regions (though, he is excluded in Germany's Ultimate box art).

As for him being one of the least popular characters in Smash, I really wish more people liked Yoshi -- but, sadly, it seems that most smash players don't like him (or ignore him). And for some, their dislike of Yoshi goes beyond just game mechanics (they don't like Yoshi as a whole, his personality, etc.) The reasons why they don't like Yoshi (and the Yoshi species) are not entirely clear.

I do not think Yoshi is the most forgettable of the original 8, but I don't know if others share that opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom