• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So, I have to say something. I'm going to be taking a break from the board for at least 2 months. I've just been feeling...really really screwed up. I dunno. I just feel like I need some space for a bit. So, if you don't see more a while, here's the reason why.

Now, I'm not leaving permanently. I just think I need to take some time off. Might be better that way.
Sorry to hear you’re feeling that way. Hope this’ll help you recover well.

D

Deleted member

Those are some pretty interesting strats, actually. I'll have to give 'em a try sometime.

Maaaan, I love Smash, but the AI can get so frustrating sometimes, lol. I really should start playing online more. Maybe I'll host an Arena sometime tomorrow? Would anyone be interested in that?
I would be very much interested.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So, I have to say something. I'm going to be taking a break from the board for at least 2 months. I've just been feeling...really really screwed up. I dunno. I just feel like I need some space for a bit. So, if you don't see more a while, here's the reason why.

Now, I'm not leaving permanently. I just think I need to take some time off. Might be better that way.
Okay. We'll miss you :yoshi:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I know Kuririn is probably the correct way to say his name, but he's Krillin to me dammit.
I think most of the western fan base say Krillin due to the Ocean and Funi dubs of the anime, other regions use it too IIRC. I grew up with the Viz translation of the Dragon Ball (including Z) manga which used the Japanese names and attack names. “Krillin” is just one way ro romanize his name.

The name “Kuririn” like all other names from the franchise is a pun. Herms of Kanzanshuu fame explains it in quote below because I don’t feel like explaining it.

Kuririn
There are a few things going on with Kuririn’s name, though Toriyama doesn’t really explain any of it (see below). First, kuri-kuri bouzu means a clean-shaven head, which certainly fits him. Second, 栗/kuri is Japanese for “chestnut”, which besides tying back into his “smooth head” image, is carried over into the name of his daughter (and in the anime, his early girlfriend). One of the title pages also shows Kuririn riding an air bike with the 栗/kuri kanji on the front. Finally, the “rin” on the end of his name may be a reference to the Shaolin monks (少林/Shourin in Japanese), a staple of martial arts films. “Shaolin” more or less translates to “little forest”, and the temple where Kuririn trained prior to become Kame-sennin’s pupil was called the Oorin Temple (多林寺/Oorin-ji), “big forest temple”, an obvious play on the name Shaolin. The Oorin uniform worn by Kuririn and his formal seniors at Oorin Temple are also clearly based on the Shaolin uniform.
Toriyama Explanation: “This is a name that I decided completely based on just the ambience from the character’s image. At that point, I didn’t think this was going to be a character that would continue to appear for a long time afterwards, so I used this half-baked naming.” [DBF]
Source Spelling:: くりくり/kuri-kuri 栗/kuri, 少林/Shourin
Name Spelling: クリリン/Kuririn

KMDP

Smash Legend
There are a lot of 18s I could say. But that one's my favorite.

It's almost like Toriyama likes having all his female characters change clothes but forgets that the guys can too.
There are many reasons that that might be the case:
  1. Women are more inclined to frequently wear different articles of clothing (Bulma and #18 have "likes clothes shopping" as character traits, Chi-Chi does not).
  2. The guys are usually wearing uniforms, so it's a loyalty thing (the Saiyan Armour is actually Saiyan formal wear, I think Vegeta says this in the Buu Saga)
  3. Having the main characters always wear the same thing increases brand recognition.
  4. The fighters are more comfortable fighting in clothes they are familiar with.
The guys do change outfits, they just don't do so frequently. Like the jacket Goku wears during the week leading up to the Cell Games or the farming gear he wears in Super. Also, the infamous "BAD-MAN" shirt Vegeta wore.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I want all the Gokus to have "outer orange gi torn off" alt skin.
It happens EVERY time there's something serious.

bout to go super saiyan for the first time? take it off.
bout to land a spirit bomb for the first time? take it off
bout to go super saiyan god super saiyan for the first time? take it off
bout to go ultra instinct for the first time? take it off... and then some more when you fully master it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think most of the western fan base say Krillin due to the Ocean and Funi dubs of the anime, other regions use it too IIRC. I grew up with the Viz translation of the Dragon Ball (including Z) manga which used the Japanese names and attack names. “Krillin” is just one way ro romanize his name.

The name “Kuririn” like all other names from the franchise is a pun. Herms of Kanzanshuu fame explains it in quote below because I don’t feel like explaining it.
I used to think it was a reference to Krill, which are tiny shrimp looking things. I thought it made sense, seeing as how many characters have food based names.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I want all the Gokus to have "outer orange gi torn off" alt skin.
It happens EVERY time there's something serious.

bout to go super saiyan for the first time? take it off.
bout to land a spirit bomb for the first time? take it off
bout to go super saiyan god super saiyan for the first time? take it off
bout to go ultra instinct for the first time? take it off... and then some more when you fully master it.
bout to reveal the results of your training with Kami? Take it off, then take the undershirt off and put the orange shirt back on.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know what Krillin's Japanese name is. I prefer Krillin though. Easier to say quickly. I can't think of a single English name that doesn't work fine for me.

But I rarely mind dub names. Only two I'd say were actually bad were Creepymon and SlushAngemon. Even if the latter makes sense as a bad way to pronounce Slash in Japanese. It still looks bad.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
There are many reasons that that might be the case:
  1. Women are more inclined to frequently wear different articles of clothing (Bulma and #18 have "likes clothes shopping" as character traits, Chi-Chi does not).
  2. The guys are usually wearing uniforms, so it's a loyalty thing (the Saiyan Armour is actually Saiyan formal wear, I think Vegeta says this in the Buu Saga)
  3. Having the main characters always wear the same thing increases brand recognition.
  4. The fighters are more comfortable fighting in clothes they are familiar with.
The guys do change outfits, they just don't do so frequently. Like the jacket Goku wears during the week leading up to the Cell Games or the farming gear he wears in Super. Also, the infamous "BAD-MAN" shirt Vegeta wore.
Yeah, I shouldn't have said "Toriyama" specifically. It was more an aside from my work on Gundam Wing.

I've noticed that while characters do change clothes (generally when they're wearing a space suit or in a school uniform), all the female characters not named Sally change clothes a lot more than any of the male characters. This was my first time truly noticing it (since I need to look for various scenes from the series to pull and their clothes have to match) and now thinking about 18 and Bulma I kind of applied that observation without thinking too hard about it.

Also, Noin has a cowboy outfit too. I guess it's just a thing in Japan.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah, I shouldn't have said "Toriyama" specifically. It was more an aside from my work on Gundam Wing.

I've noticed that while characters do change clothes (generally when they're wearing a space suit or in a school uniform), all the female characters not named Sally change clothes a lot more than any of the male characters. This was my first time truly noticing it (since I need to look for various scenes from the series to pull and their clothes have to match) and now thinking about 18 and Bulma I kind of applied that observation without thinking too hard about it.

Also, Noin has a cowboy outfit too. I guess it's just a thing in Japan.

I mean... watch One Piece, Nami can't go a single arc without changing her outfit at least once (sometimes more than once), while the guys rarely ever change their outfits.
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth
Oh my gosh, Spirit Tamer, is that you?
What have you done!?
Abused her mod powers to change her name, that's what!

KMDP

Smash Legend
I’ve used my code to unlock piranha plant but he doesn’t appear in the game. How do I get it?
If you go to the title screen and it still says "1.2.1" in the top right, you need to update your game.

Even then, you still need to restart the game for changes to take effect.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I’ve used my code to unlock piranha plant but he doesn’t appear in the game. How do I get it?
Did you make sure to download the latest update? It's not automatic if it's a manual game.

Abused her mod powers to change her name, that's what!
I'll be blunt here; I know you're joking, but those jokes are a bad idea right now. This is part of why I'm depressed. I still have Premium for half a month anyway.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Opossum Opossum
I dunno if it was already posted but... We still somewhat livin'

Chrombo is gone, but people still gonna Respect the lord

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
If you go to the title screen and it still says "1.2.1" in the top right, you need to update your game.

Even then, you still need to restart the game for changes to take effect.
Oh ok, it said it had updated but it did it really fast and let me on the game straight away. Apparently it’s still updating atm

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I can't believe that third reason cause the way she act there's no way I can see someone showing care with that attitude... also reason number 2 is irrelevant to me and 1 gives me even more reason to despise her so you only added more fuel to the fire.
If you played Uprising, you’d see/hear Viridi actually take care of the people who work with and/or for her (babies some of them also due to being mother like to them specifically)...and a voice is never irrelevant for any character...we gonna have to fight over that part
1) That's not that great a thing..
2) Not a bad thing..doesn't mean much for the character though.
3) Maybe? She cares about plants I guess..but whether they are 'people' is debatable..and most rulers care about their forces/subjects to same regard..
4) So can most Gods, I would imagine..I mean, Medusa was shown to stand over a town firing finger lasers to turn people to stone for fun.
6) I'm..not that sure about her being 'smart'..at least not any smarter then any of the other characters in Kid Icarus, aside from Pit..
1. Literally a great thing (a nicer Thanos)
2. It means everything (it’s like Mark Hamill voicing Joker...it...****ing...matters). The voice makes or breaks the character, and a legendary voice actor is always a win (the ****ing wasn’t needed, just wanted)
3. She treats her army like children instead of replaceable canonfodder (like Palutena pretty much does with he Centurions)
4. Medusa is a big girl physically, while Viridi is child size...the latter does it better
5. HEY...Pit has a High IQ or Floor Ice Cream (a true intellectual), and as for Viridi she’s definitely smarter than most of the characters in the universe, helps that Palutena has made more mistakes than she has knowledge wise (Super Bash Sisters...King of Porkness...never likes Pit correcting her on anything..etc)

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I mean... watch One Piece, Nami can't go a single arc without changing her outfit at least once (sometimes more than once), while the guys rarely ever change their outfits.
I refuse to watch One Piece for the sheer fact that I do not have the time to commit to watching that many episodes.

I've only finished like ten anime in my lifetime.
Dragonball etc., Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Kill la Kill, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon, Spice & Wolf, uhhhhhh... I feel like I'm forgetting a big one but that's about it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My apologies.

I didn't mean to offend.
Apology accepted.

For the record, this kind of thing is part of why I'm not going to be an Ultimate Mod anymore. Though I didn't realize the Character and General Ultimate were separate sections till now. I just kind of modded both from the beginning. Either way, neither are good positions for me.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I refuse to watch One Piece for the sheer fact that I do not have the time to commit to watching that many episodes.

I've only finished like ten anime in my lifetime.
Dragonball etc., Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Kill la Kill, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon, Spice & Wolf, uhhhhhh... I feel like I'm forgetting a big one but that's about it.
I should have used "look at" and not "watch", that was my mistake. :laugh:

But I'm serious, Nami has so many outfits (look at her gallery on the One Piece wikia compared to Luffy's)
I actually kept a record of the anime and manga I had watched and was watching.

It was pretty long, not ridiculously so, but much, much longer than your list.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I should have used "look at" and not "watch", that was my mistake. :laugh:

But I'm serious, Nami has so many outfits (look at her gallery on the One Piece wikia compared to Luffy's)
Her outfit in the last picture in the top row is my favorite. Can't figure out why.

SHE HAS A FREAKING COWBOY OUTFIT TOO. IS THIS A TROPE I DON'T KNOW ABOUT?

MainJPW

M.T.A
I'll accept you saying Tenshinhan, since I think that's a cooler name than Tien, but ain't no need to say "Kuririn" instead of Krillin.
Nah, I’ll keep calling him by his name.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I grew up reading the manga, specifically the Viz translation from my local library and the batch we purchased at a flea market.

Original Japanese names for characters and attacks (Genki Dama, Taiyo-Ken, Kienzan) are all used there so that’s what I’m used to.

62C9A961-FBB8-4B20-A84A-E7A2524C80C9.jpeg

It’s so old now the pages are yellow. I also use Kanzenshuu alot and they tend not to use dub terms all that much.

So yeah, I’m a Freeza with two e’s guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom