• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uberlock's (Yuki's) Sheik videos. (Rate is you have time please :) )

uberlock

Smash Rookie
Ok so, recorded alot of matches the other day offline with college friends. Got the first batch done, agaisnt my friends Marth. Here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fNqqzuG_9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evvuuck4E4I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMxlK5DqA1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38vabP13Qbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FN8o0H9Go8

Neither of us are "pros", we just play for fun, and hopefully a little skillfully.
So, basically I main Sheik, with switching to Zelda for kills where nessecary. I know im nothing special, and I made alot of mistakes, I just want some advice on what to work on and improve. Although since these vids were taken I have improved my chain f-tilting, and so in future vids hopefully it will last longer.

Basically from what I can see my problems are:
TOO MUCH ROLLING. Far too much.
Lack of approach, especally agaisnt Marth, need help especially with this issue.
Bad needle timing.
Bas use of tether.
Those are the main ones, I hope, so please feel free to give advice on them, or add any other fails I am making, and where to improve. I also know I tend to stick to the same combos, and due to the lack of approach I find agaisnt Marth, I found it hard to make use of many combos. SO, please Rate my Shelda is you have a spare minuite or two.
Thanks in advance :).

P.S. I'll upload more videos from the day when I return from my holiday, in about a week, hopefully these videos arnt so bad you will steer clear of the new ones I upload :p

demodemo

Smash Ace
I watched the first and last video, pretty good.

I'm sort of tired, so going on about good points would be a waste of time, right?

So i'll go on to critiquing it.

Yeah, you roll to much. Roll is for setting up space, or setting up. you roll...for the sake of rolling. roll to get ready to throw needles, roll if you are in a bad situation.

knock your opponent away before transforming. you were fortunate enough that he did not know how to punish you for it. dying and coming back as zelda is a big no-no. yes it is usually the most viable option, but relying on this tactic means that you will always be behind.

switching to zelda is good. however, when you see marth at 76%, you were running around charging needles. Now I don't know what was going through your head in those moments, maybe you were thinking "oh, 76%, i'm gonna throw another 18% onto that, then go zelda", maybe you were thinking "oh needles", maybe you were thinking "omgomg what do i do, i'll charge needles while i devise a plan" or maybe you were not thinking at all.

Either way, all of those thoughts would have been wrong. the best thing to do at that situation, was to realize that one more attack would bring marth into killing percentage for zelda. if not, after a dins from zelda or something. You dont plan to transform after your opponent reaches 100%+, you plan to transform 10-20% before that. because the conditions for transforming needed are :

- worn down sheik moves
- 90%+ opponent
- your opponent is away from you.

so what were you suppose to exactly do? you were suppose to play defensively, but not with needles. At this point you do ANYTHING in your power to get a downsmash, ftilt to aerial, usmash, fsmash, dash attack(at 80s) whatever. here is when you roll and sidestep. here is when you set up. here, you get that ftilt to bair that you KNOW will send your opponent flying, and the moment that bair ends, YOU TRANSFORM. if this is done right, you could be potentially sending din's as well. Never froget that your "push away" move also deals damage!

need an approach? sheik's approaches suck. i saw you dashgrab, errr no. dash attack is a no, unless it is suprising. only approach you have is rar bair. airdodging might work too. if you find you can't approach, stop trying to play aggressive and needle camp. don't approach unless you know what you are doing.

other bits and pieces :
- get the length of the tether down.
- dthrow is good, but for uair only
- use fthrow at higher percentages and perdict di/airdodges
- when returning to a stage and forced to vanish, try to hit with the vanish, no risk in trying

i think i frogot a lot of things, but i'm tired and i want to sleep. There are probably some mistakes/contradictions, but i'm too lazy to read it over. have fun, and only follow my advice if it makes sense to you

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
wow. a marth vs sheik match, i haven't seen that one before. nice to know theres 5 more to watch...

well this is what i gathered, you like to do lots of side stepping and rolling which is okay against a marth player in some ways, but don't over do it. remember to just watch your spacing against marths, three good steps back and he can't hit you but you can rush in for a grab all the same.

where were the ftilts at bro? that's the meat of sheik's game play >.< i saw lots of needles instead of ftilt combo madness into usmash/utilt, whats up with that? in my head it was like "ftilt time" but nothing happened! ftilt time turned into "sidestep action" and i was like "wtf?!" ftilt early in the game can rack up good enuogh damage for needles storm 2x and a dsmash to get marth into a good enough killing range if you insist on using needles, but don't neglect that ftilt, yes yes i know ftilts are not used very much for other characters, but sheik needs em >.<

another random thing, your jabs are awesome, don't neglect those either

use your chain for recovery, vanish is easy to ledge guard against

ankoku did this thing on basic pointers for sheiks, watch it a few times, its really good

zelda is good for ko-ing, but it gets predictable if you do it every single time, not only that... but you're playing a marth, usmash against a marth is a big no no, marth is the only, ONLY, large character that can get out of the usmash reliably, as seen in game number 4 i believe. you really need to work on your zelda game play, it frustrated me to see you stand there and side step a bajillion times when you could have done a neutral A, nayru's love, or even a short hop nair, at that close, it would have done wonders.

zelda can use her dtilt to pop marth up high enough for a lightning kick, marth is one of the lightest characters in the game, lighter than peach!, not only that, but he's TALL, a BIG target for your lightning kicks. just remember that zelda's smashes take a long time to come out, that's why dsmash, neutral a, nayru's love, and nair is your best things for spacing

use dins more, helps you control the stage

you technically don't need zelda for a marth game, try your hand at gimping marth's recovery, you can jump behind him as he is coming back and try to fair him into the stage as he's doing his up b, it takes a lot of practice.... and its hard... but its rewarding at least *shrugs* i think a bair would work better anywho

work on approaching with nair and bair

a nair weakhit just above the ground autocancels so you can immediately shield grab afterwards at low percents, its awesome

etc etc, lots of stuff to tell you, i'm not the guy to do it, watch ankoku's vid

*edit*
stealth sushi's thread on everything sheik
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178516

ankokus vid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=one2x4GPzVE

and i was supposed to rate you if i have time
"Good Sheik, some bad habits, but a ton of potential."

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I only watched video 1 so maybe i'm a litle offline here, but I didn't see much use of the up smash in your gameplay....I was thinking why? a running upsmash works wonders for sheiks game, and like poster above said use the f-tilt, if your good with sheik you can destroy an average marth user that way.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
I watched a good few of these videos, and for the most part they we're enjoyable, abit to much rolling tho, keep up the practice, get yourself to some tourneys if u can, will only get better

uberlock

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the replies guys (just got back from holiday).
Im glad you found the video enjoyable, will hopefully upload some agaisnt Ike where i combo a bit better soon.
The feedback was awesome, once I get the f-tilits perfect, which hopefully wont be too hard when I play offline more, as well as chain recovery, and a few rar-ed b-air approaches, hopefully i'll be alot better. Ill continue to upload videos every few weeks or so, but, if its to much, say, and ill stop :p
Thanks all.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Bonus points for making god knows the song to the final vid. You got lucky in that match though. You transformed right in front of his face, and he dash attacked you. If he up smashed it would have been all over for you. If you didn't roll as much it would have been better but entertaining none the less.

Edit: Oh and 1:20 in the third vid was just hilarious.

uberlock

Smash Rookie
Bonus points for making god knows the song to the final vid. You got lucky in that match though. You transformed right in front of his face, and he dash attacked you.
Haruhi FTW right? But yeh transforming and my general Zelda game I need to work on

Edit: Oh and 1:20 in the third vid was just hilarious.
Oh where I spotdodged his trip? I thougt trips did major damage, it was the only thing to do!

Thanks for the feedback.

*Edit*
Oh and thanks Imdavid for the video link, has some nice stuff in it.

P.S. Sorry for not quoting other people and doing a general thing, but coming back after a week to 5 or 6 good posts with lots to quote was too much :p

Top Bottom