• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two matches, Ganon VS a great Doc. Any advice on my tactics?

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
There are times when you have to use unexpected moves or roll dodge.
But if you're forgetting, the pills have no priority, just use tilts on them of punch them.

Charge in with powerful fairs from above because the ground is covered by pills. Go for a grab and then hit Dr. Mario out of the grab.

Is the Dr. Mario really going to spam pills if you keep dodging and punching them out? Other wise you pick moving stages or platformed ones.

I'll add more if I can think up of any..

Magus420

Smash Master
I jab or avoid the pills when further away, then as I get more in range I b-air them or if there's enough time/space pass though them with b-airs. If you place it right you can b-air through a pill while moving towards them and also hit them with it since it stays out for a good while, especially along with the hitlag from hitting the pill.

For edgeguarding, when Doc's high up enough to recover with a pill just go off and doublejump into an up air from diagonally underneath. If they do throw one it'll still cut through and hit them. If they doublejumped into the pill they're probably dead since it's usually pretty far away from the edge when they get hit doing this.

If they come in lower I usually ledgestall into a ledgehop u-air if they get in close or b-air from the ledge if they are a bit further out at that height. If the u-air hits make sure you quickly wavedash fastfall grab the edge or they'll often have time to up-b again if you get the weakest part of it.

If they were trying to land on the stage which they often do when you're stalling and at risk of getting hogged since you can't be hit off of it the u-air usually connects with the stronger hit that still has the low angle in which case they'll either be dead, hogged, or you'll be able to WD regrab and ledgehop u-air again or b-air if they were at lower damage. If you use your invincibility well he's a lot easier to edgeguard.

If he uses his down-b near the stage to delay the up-b you still have time to regrab the edge after the ledgehop u-air and do it again.

If you don't have time to get onto the edge an angled down f-tilt or a reverse u-air works good. If you have trouble catching him with the u-air out of a horizontal sweetspot make sure you're landing close enough to the edge and that you're landing at the right time. It should be able to hit pretty far off stage if you do. After you land and stand up your back foot should be well off the stage.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
There are times when you have to use unexpected moves or roll dodge.
But if you're forgetting, the pills have no priority, just use tilts on them of punch them.

Charge in with powerful fairs from above because the ground is covered by pills. Go for a grab and then hit Dr. Mario out of the grab.

Is the Dr. Mario really going to spam pills if you keep dodging and punching them out? Other wise you pick moving stages or platformed ones.

I'll add more if I can think up of any..
He keeps spamming pills till you give up and try to break through it, then he utilizes the shield lag from the pill and grabs. The only thing I've gotten too him with is forward-B.

To Magus:
Thanks, the information you gave me was perfect, and I hadn't even thought of some of the things. I've tried Bair to get through the pills, but I just have a hard time deciding when he is gonna do a full jumped pill or a SH one, and that makes it hard to hit him consistently with a Bair. I'll keep working on it though

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I suppose it is just a natural disadvantage that Ganon faces going up against Doc. I agree with Magus however, the back air if you are close to him not only cancels the pill but also could hit him. Then you could wavedash backward and begin the torture :). But yes the forward B is also an option, just make sure that you don't forward b directly into the pill...that never bodes well.

Renth

Smash Hero
I suppose it is just a natural disadvantage that Ganon faces going up against Doc. I agree with Magus however, the back air if you are close to him not only cancels the pill but also could hit him. Then you could wavedash backward and begin the torture :). But yes the forward B is also an option, just make sure that you don't forward b directly into the pill...that never bodes well.
Ganon has the advantage in that match up. Also, giving advice is hard because every situation you face in a match you have to learn from experience someone can't just tell you to do something and expect it to work.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Yeah, by now I've come up with several methods to get him to expose himself. I've also faced other pro docs, which were soo much easier to handle. I find that full jumping, executing a Bair at the top, then fast falling will eat through pills at any level and frustrates the hell outta docs, cuz Ganon can just suck those pills in with a tolerance level of 100%.

shorthop Bair and anti-hop bair are very confusing to most players, as they expect you to land. I find that it works wonders.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
I jab or avoid the pills when further away, then as I get more in range I b-air them or if there's enough time/space pass though them with b-airs. If you place it right you can b-air through a pill while moving towards them and also hit them with it since it stays out for a good while, especially along with the hitlag from hitting the pill.

For edgeguarding, when Doc's high up enough to recover with a pill just go off and doublejump into an up air from diagonally underneath. If they do throw one it'll still cut through and hit them. If they doublejumped into the pill they're probably dead since it's usually pretty far away from the edge when they get hit doing this.

If they come in lower I usually ledgestall into a ledgehop u-air if they get in close or b-air from the ledge if they are a bit further out at that height. If the u-air hits make sure you quickly wavedash fastfall grab the edge or they'll often have time to up-b again if you get the weakest part of it.
Very good advice, i never thought about the double jump to uair, thanks

Top Bottom