• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess Graphics

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Why is everyone so fond of TP's graphics? I always see people wanting an OoT remake with TP graphics, or the next game to have TP graphics, or whatever.

He looks ridiculous, really, some of the cutscenes in TP made me cringe with the expressions the character's pulled, sure everything else looks nice, but I haven't seen one complaint about the graphics that are supposed to be amazing.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Cut them some slack, it's a Gamecube game. Nobody is clamoring about the graphics these days. Hypothetically, if people wanted an OoT remake with TP graphics that's because OoT looks pretty awful these days, especially compared to TP.

NOBODY wants TP graphics for the new Zelda, I dunno what you're going on about at all, really.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm tempted to close this thread if no worthy graphical discussion arises. Carry on.

Oh, and for a Zelda game, the pic in the OP looks wonderful. I love the pseudo-realistic look of TP and I hope they further expand upon it (though making everything from scratch) for Zelda Wii.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, I forgot it was made for Gamecube. And I have seen heaps of people requesting TP graphics rather than a new style, I think the best incarnation of Link has been in Soul Calibur. Get nintendo that model, edit it a bit, give him more detailed textures and bam, you got an awesome link.

@Spire
For a zelda game yes, but they can do better. Assasin's Creed is a good example of what they could proably achieve if they put enough effort into it.

Tacel

Smash Lord
I like how in Twilight Princess they made the Zelda Universe seem extremely realistic.
It was nice to experience what The Legend of Zelda would be like if it were real.

I hope that they stick with these graphics for the new Zelda Wii game.

MattV1

Smash Apprentice
Assassin's Creed is also for more powerful systems.

I have no doubts that Twilight was the pinnacle of what the GameCube could accomplish. Yeah, Link looks pretty dorky in some sceness, but aside from that everything else is pretty terrific. Considering the next Zelda is being developed for the Wii, I'm sure we'll see an improvement.

Tacel

Smash Lord
Remember the April Fool's joke that they were remaking Wind Waker with Twilight Princess graphics?

Wuss

Smash Champion
I don't know what OP is talking about, the graphics in TP are great. There's not too much that strikes you as odd while playing (except for things like stuff going through walls and what not), and the detail is way better than any other Zelda game. Obviously improvements would be nice, but people want to see something along the lines of TP graphics, not necessarily exactly those graphics. From the concept art for ZWii, I would say it's going to be pretty similar, but we'll see.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I think TP has great graphics, especially for a GC game. You just chose a stupid looking screenshot of Link, GrimTuesday, in order to help prove your point.

I think this thread should be closed simply because it belongs in the Twilight Princess Thread. Otherwise, make it a Graphics Discussion to maybe save yourself.

Alzi

Smash Master
When i first saw TP the graphics did look like somthing on a PS3 or 360 to be honest.

I actually loved TP graphics. Made the game look more real.

Beware the Jabberwocky

Smash Apprentice
I have looked at some of the models from Twilight Princess up close in GMod, and realized how extremely low-poly* the models are.

*Low-poly= a 3d modelling term meaning that the model is composed of very few polygons and/or triangles. What that means, I have no idea. Make up your own hypothesis.

You can really see it in the legs of this riding pig:

Notice that the leg is very triangle. In fact, you can basically see the "seam" of the maybe 10 polygons making up his leg. You wouldnt notice this, because they did a really good job texturing the models.

Thats what I found so genius about the graphics in TP. They made everything so low-poly, yet it looks like 3rd-G graphics.

...But of course, I would have liked the game better if everything didnt look so.. boxy. :ohwell:

comboking

Smash Master
Cut them some slack, it's a Gamecube game. Nobody is clamoring about the graphics these days. Hypothetically, if people wanted an OoT remake with TP graphics that's because OoT looks pretty awful these days, especially compared to TP.

NOBODY wants TP graphics for the new Zelda, I dunno what you're going on about at all, really.
People still care alot about graphics. Maybe even too much.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
People still care alot about graphics. Maybe even too much.
Yes and you totally missed my point. I said "nobody is clamoring about THE graphics these days", referring to Twilight Princess' graphics, not graphics in general. My point was that people who say they want TP-style graphics, they don't mean the same quality graphics of TP, but that same art style, rather than say, something more cartoony like Wind Waker.

finalark

SNORLAX
Are people seriously STILL looking for reasons to hate on TP?

TP had some great graphics, when I first saw them back in whenever the game was first annoced (was it '05...?) I remember having to pick up my jaw from the floor of the now non-exsistant Software Ect. in my city. Seriously, guys, I'd love to see the new Zelda have TP graphics only better.

Alzi

Smash Master
Theres no excuse to be hating on TP graphics. If you are hating then you might aswell be hating on OOT graphics.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Are people seriously STILL looking for reasons to hate on TP?

There are plenty of reasons to hate TP, but this isn't really one of them.

OoT is ugly as hell.

Agreed, but I wouldn't want OoT to be redone with TP graphics. I'd prefer a remake of OoT to have a cel-shaded look like Wind Waker. There's so much potential for that style, but it's really only been used in one game.

Actually, it wouldn't really fit OoT, but that's beside the point. I would love to see what they could do with a remake of it, but I don't want an uninspired art style like TP's for it. In fact, that's the only thing that I didn't like about the TP graphics.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
TP's graphics, considering it's a Gamecube game, utterly blow me away, even today.

I can go to Snowpeak and stare out into the distance for hours, it's just so beautiful and well-captured.
I'm hoping Zelda Wii improves upon the graphics, (Like I believe they said they were working towards)

Because, at least for Zelda games, Graphics are part of the enthralling experience. (Like Wind Waker, who couldn't appreciate the style, even if it didn't suit you?)

And hey, for the time it was created, OoT had awesome graphics, you can't really hate on something that's almost 12 years old for having poor graphics when that was literally the standard back then.

But yeah

Alzi

Smash Master
Thats what i was implying. OOT had good graphics for a n64 game back then and Twilight princess have good graphics for a wii game when it was released. Even though it is orginally a nintendo gamecube game it still has good graphics compared to some other games.

Skrlx

Smash Champion

Agreed, but I wouldn't want OoT to be redone with TP graphics. I'd prefer a remake of OoT to have a cel-shaded look like Wind Waker. There's so much potential for that style, but it's really only been used in one game.
Sorry but that would kill the game
for me

OOT had good graphics for a n64 game back then and Twilight princess have good graphics for a wii Gamecube game when it was released.
fixed your post (though you did correct yourself with the other half but that part was contradicting your whole post)

I loved the art style of Twilight Princess.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Personally I'm tired of WW graphics. We have WindWaker, the first Four Swords game, the gamecube Four Swords game, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. This style has been around since 2001. I want the darker more grim graphics that were OoT's and MM's back in the day and TP's now.

Though now I'd really like the body proportions to be right <.< It always irked me that in TP, Link's arms were basically the same length as his legs. Same for all the other normal people..big body small legs. In the art it didn't show mostly but in the actual game the anotomy was just..wrong concerning that. lol

this

vs

this

Not the greatest example but I hope you can see what I mean.

Top Bottom