• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tuscaloosa Competitive Smash 2: Brawl AND MELEE Tournament. Sept. 20 NO GAY DOOR FEE

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
if you're on facebook, hit up the event page and let me know if you're coming.
http://www.new.facebook.com/event.php?eid=27412086455
Also if you're interested in more Tuscaloosa events (I think the next event will be an ALL-Melee tourney) join this group.
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37186000248

Address for Google Maps:
706 Riverside Lane
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

that's a relatively new street, and I'm pretty sure google doesn't have it. So Use this one.

140 Hackberry Lane
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

which is Rose Towers, right across the street, when you get there, just give me a call and I can help you out.

For those that are coming from out of town, this map might help. The address is listed in the event info for Google Maps purposes, but really all you need to do is go I-20 West if your coming from/through GA/B'ham, or I-20 East if you're coming from/through Mississppi. and get off on Exit 73/Mcfarland Blvd--turn right (if you're coming from b'ham---left if you're coming from Mississippi) onto Mcfarland, and go straight for a mile or two, until you reach the Jack Warner Pkwy Exit. (you will pass the University Blvd and Campus Dr. exits)...the Jack Warner exit is a deep curve that splits into two, you want to take the curve on the right-hand side...then you will be at the upper-right hand area of the map I've provided above. Follow the purple line. Turn onto hackberry lane, it is at a stop light.. After that take the first left, you will see Rose Towers to your left (building 204 on the map). Riverside is to your right...and the building the tournament is being held at (the yellow dot with the black X/building 141) is behind the building that you initially see on the right when you turn in. The purple circles are the ideal parking places. On weekends, you won't get ticketed unless you park in a spot that isn't a real parking spot (like in the grass), or in a handicapped spot. Also avoid faculty (green) spots, i'm not sure if they ticket you for parking there, but to be on the safe side, try to avoid them. Use the map to find the building, if you need help, call me (Kevin) at 205-422-0916

Registration begins at 10 A.M. and the tournament begins at 11 A.M. CENTRAL TIME and is slated to end at 11 P.M. I will probably be there around 9 A.M., so feel free to show up early and get some practice in.

Melee Doubles, followed by Melee Singles. Then Brawl Doubles followed by Brawl Singles. No Swiss Rounds or Pools, sorry. I have twelve hours to get this done so this is going to require a lot of cooperation and a lot of set ups. I will probably start a tourney during the final rounds of the previous tourney to save time.

IF YOU BRING A FULL SET UP: meaning, you bring a TV, a wii/gamecube and a game (Brawl or Melee). You will get 5 dollars off your entry fee to the one of the tournaments OF THE GAME YOU BROUGHT. Meaning if you bring a wii, a tv, a brawl, you can get 5 dollars off of a Brawl tournament (either doubles or singles). If you bring a wii, a tv, and melee. You can get 5 dollars off of a Melee tournament. If you bring a wii and TV and both games, you may choose which tournament to apply the discount too.

Entrance fee for all tournaments : $10 for singles, and $10 per person for doubles.
Meaning if you want to enter all four tournaments (Melee double, melee singles, Brawl Doubles, and Brawl Singles) You will need $40.)
Each tournament will be double elimination, with random seeds, although I will do my best to try to keep you from facing your friends in the first round, and if I've heard of you and know that you're a good player I will try my best to seed you properly.

PRIZES (Melee and Brawl) :
Singles: 1st 60%, 2nd 25%, 3rd 15% of the prize pool.
Doubles: 1st 60%, 2nd 25%, 3rd 15% of the prize pool.
To clarify, this means that if 50 people enter singles (and there is a $10 dollar entry fee) there will be a $500 prize pool (50*$10) which means first place would get $300 (60% of the original $500)

MELEE RULES:
For Singles and Doubles:
• Double Elimination.
• All matches are best of 3, with finals best of 5.
• Matches will be 4 stock, 8 minute time limit.
• Items OFF

Special Team Rules:
• Team Attack ON
• Life stealing allowed
• Fountain of Dreams and Mute City will be banned due to stage lags in 4 player mode

• Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams (banned in teams), Dreamland 64 and Pokémon Stadium. Fountain of Dreams is on random for singles only.

• Banned Stages (for both Singles and Doubles): Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Kongo Jungle, and Great Bay
• No stage may be used twice in a single set, either by random select or by picking

Wobbling is banned.

BRAWL RULES:
3 STOCKS
7 MINUTE TIME LIMIT
ALL ITEMS OFF, EVEN SMASHBALLS.

Neutral Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Smashville

Banned Stages: Green Hill Zone, Hanenbow, Corneria, Green Greens, Mushroomy Kingdom [Overworld/Underworld], 75m, Rumble Falls, Bridge of Eldin, Wario Ware, Distant Planet, New Pork City, Pirate Ship, Skyworld, Temple, Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Onett, Spear Pillar, Mario Bros., Mario Circuit, Flat Zone 2, The Summit, Big Blue, Pokemon Stadium 2, Port Town Aero Drive, Shadow Moses Island.
Every other stage is available as a counterpick.

Additional Info for Both Games:
BYOC: (BRING. YOUR. OWN. CONTROLLER. I will not provide ANY controllers whatsoever. It's up to you to find one to use. We will not wait all day for you to find one, either.)
You may use any controller you like (wiimote, wii/chuck/gamecube/classic). Please note, however, if you have any controller issues whatsoever, you either find a new controller in 5 minutes or less or forfeit your match. In Brawl, you may map your controls anyway you like.

Money matches, friendlies, etc. will be happening whenever one can be squeezed in. However, please do not slow down the pace of the tourney due to friendlies, if you are asked to relinquish your TV for a tourney match, please do so. Money matches are excusable (but please, be smart about the timing and choice of when), but friendly matches will forfeit if a tourney or money match needs the setup. This isn't being rude, just common sense. Match tier list is: tourney > money > friendly. Respect the tier!

In the case of a Wii/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed, unless both opponents can agree on a starting point.

All decisions made by tournament officials are final. I will designate the tournament officials at the event.

Don't do dumb **** like the Freeze Glitch, and don't do dumb **** like pick Sonic and stall under the stage for seven minutes. You'll be Disqualified for being a douchebag.

The only controller mod allowed is the removal of the springs in your L and/or R triggers. Every other control mod is banned, and you will be DQ'd if caught using one. Mods that are purely cosmetic/aesthetic are allowed, such as paintjobs/lights. Turbo buttons are banned. You may use controllers that have this function, but you are not allowed to use the turbo. If you're caught you'll be DQ'd yadda yadda.

Again, BRING SET UPS. Even if you can't bring a full set up, BRING SOMETHING, whether it is a TV, a console or a game. Last tournament we had more set ups than we needed, which was great, but this time, we are going to need EVERY SET UP POSSIBLE.

I will also be taking up an OPTIONAL $5 Pizza fund so we can get some foodstuffs going on.

SETUPS (I would like to have ten or more lol ambitious I know, but remember you get a discount if you bring a full set up):

total POSSIBLE set ups so far: 8 (NEED MOARRR)

3GOD: 1 FULL MELEE SET UP, 1 FULL BRAWL SET UP
theonejanitor: Gamecube and Melee
George: maybe 1 FULL MELEE SETUP, maybe copy of brawl
shai: 1 FULL MELEE SET UP
anomaly: cube, maybe TV
brody: 1 FULL BRAWL SET UP, MELEE, CUBE
nesnoob: 1 FULL MELEE SET UP
stephen: tv

Also, we need surge protectors!

3GOD

Smash Ace
I plan to be there and participate in all events other than Melee doubles. Personally, I don't care about Melee doubles since it's generally very chaotic.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd rather see Swiss/Round Robin for Brawl singles than Melee Doubles. If you start at 11 AM, you should be able to get it all wrapped up by 11 PM easily if people bring setups. The recent Vulcan Gamebox tourney lasted from 11:00 AM until about 7:00 or 8:00 PM I think, and there was no Melee portion to that tourney. The Melee singles double-elimination bracket should be easy to complete in 3 to 4 hours.

Oh yeah, I will be bringing a setup too, including Melee and Brawl.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
if a good amount of people would rather have brawl swiss than melee doubles i'll gladly change it.
its just that I imagine that at least a few people will only come for melee, and i dont want to have nothing for them to to except one short tourney

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Also guys, we're probably going to need some extension cords/surge protectors.

Also bring VCRS and uplod matches to youtube, lets get some promotion for our next event.

3GOD

Smash Ace
if a good amount of people would rather have brawl swiss than melee doubles i'll gladly change it.
its just that I imagine that at least a few people will only come for melee, and i dont want to have nothing for them to to except one short tourney
Yeah, I get that they may want to have Melee doubles since they don't like Brawl. Honestly, if you end up with some Gamecubes, you could run Melee Doubles during the Swiss Brawl Rounds as well as Melee friendlies.

I'm gonna try to bring 2 TVs actually with my gamecube and Wii so we can have at least one dedicated Melee setup.

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
I'll bring a couple of smashers with me as well.

To everyone worrying about having enough time: who cares, melee is first anyway.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I'll bring a couple of smashers with me as well.

To everyone worrying about having enough time: who cares, melee is first anyway.
I'm glad you said that because i was worried how long it was going to take.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
unless we get like 50 brawl entrants or something, which i highly doubt, there should be enough time.

HOWEVER we may not be able to take a lunch break longer than like 30 minutes, which is why i'm taking up an optional pizza fund to get some food inthere.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I'll hopefully have a new TV and a new copy of Brawl by then. I can bring my Wii and Melee. And my Wii has Ocarina on it, so we have "No Tripping" finals for Brawl.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Pretty sure I can bring a setup (melee, gamecube, and tv). I can maybe bring my laptop and record stuff too, unless you've already got somebody recording.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Honestly, I have no issue with getting rid of pools, since that seems to be the biggest cluster**** in organization. The only issue is random seeding, but hopefully setting up the brackets properly + double elimination will eliminate that.

3GOD

Smash Ace
My preference for events is:

1) Melee Singles - pools for seeding and knocking down to 16 preferred. If there are less than 16 competitors, then no pools.
2) Brawl Singles - pools for seeding and knocking down to top 16.
3) Brawl Doubles - no pools necessary - run at the end in case of time issues.
4) Melee Doubles only if time allows.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Sounds good, but for marketing purposes I would put Brawl first. More random and new people will show up for Brawl than Melee. And if there is anything the tourney scene needs, it's new blood.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Melee first. It will likely have less participants and will be able to finish sooner and would benefit more from going first by maybe having some people see Melee and maybe become interested in it >_>

Please? : (

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
It's not like you won't get to play melee, and the melee crowd is the one that is most likely to stay the longest being the most hardcore of the bunch. The melee crowd will come for the melee regardless of when it's played.

If you announce a SMASH BROTHERS tourney, people are gonna show up. They might stay for the melee, but the new people are going to come for the brawl.

EDIT: The best scenario would be like this:

Brawl Singles
Melee Singles
Brawl Doubles
Melee Doubles

Especially since you can probably run the brawl doubles and melee singles tournies at the same time.

EDIT2: Actually, if you wanted to appease everyone, you could do Brawl Doubles and Melee Singles at the start. Just make sure we have enough TVs.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
You can still run both at the same time. If there's anything I know about double elimination tournies, it's that you're gonna have a lot of people twiddling their thumbs at any given moment either because they've been knocked out of the running or they're waiting for other people to finish.

You set up a couple TVs for singles and a couple TVs for doubles. Seed it up so that people who are playing in both are set to play first in one and last in the other.

EDIT: Keep in mind your limiting factors here, there are four.

1. Systems that can play melee.
2. Systems that can play brawl.
3. Televisions.
4. Interested people.

You can change how you run things based on these factors.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Melee is first. the only way melee isn't first is if no Melee-preferring people come, I don't want DML and people like that to have to wait all day before they have to play a game they actually like. and I wanted to give melee people an opportunity to leave early if they so desired. Brawl Singles is somewhat of the "main event" considering the local crowd, so I kinda wanted that to be last anyway. I dont want just a random order of events, I would like all the events culminating into the brawl singles championship.

I dont want to mix up the tournaments either, out of courtesy of people who are playing in both games. going from melee, to brawl, to melee and back to brawl is hard for some people.

considering that, and the fact that it looks like brawl doubles is here to stay, its going to be either

1. melee doubles
2. melee singles
3. brawl doubles
4. brawl singles

or

1. melee singles
2. brawl doubles
3. brawl pools
4. brawl singles bracket

My preference for events is:

1) Melee Singles - pools for seeding and knocking down to 16 preferred. If there are less than 16 competitors, then no pools.
2) Brawl Singles - pools for seeding and knocking down to top 16.
3) Brawl Doubles - no pools necessary - run at the end in case of time issues.
4) Melee Doubles only if time allows.
The first three alone would take well over 12 hours. The first two alone would probably take 10-12 hours itself.

I'm going to work hard at making a decent bracket; so I don't forsee problems with that. I'm not going to put munkus and iori against each other first round e.g., i'll also do my best to keep you from playing the person you rode with, although later in the brackets sometimes its unavoidable

as i mentioned earlier, if I get like 40-50 ppl that want to play in a brawl tourney. I will probably be forced to do brawl pools, which will probably result in the removal of one or more other events. i don't think this is going to happen though.

Top Bottom