• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TSM | ZeRo - Let's Talk: Bayonetta Drama

In the Smash 4 community Bayonetta has been the current cause for drama and discussion. The newest DLC and essentially the winner of the Super Smash Bros. Ballot, Bayonetta has stunned many with her impressive combo game and many powerful tools. Some have called for a ban against her even this early on and the debates on her range from polite to fiery across the board. TSM's own ZeRo, the Chillean master of Smash 4 famous for his massive tournament winning streak, has created a video to share his thoughts on the matter and promote discussion on the subject. Agree with what he has to say?

A lot of points were made in this video and we encourage our readers to discuss them in the comments below. Where will Bayonetta end up in competitive play? Will she be nerfed? Only time can tell but we promise Smashboards will be there to report the story as it develops.

Comments

TBH, I think Rosalina still has a case for being the best in the game. But assuming Bayoneta is the best, well, I'd just say that weneed to learn to improbe our reaction time, as her Side B is EXTREMLY punishable on block. Saying "learn the deal with Witch Time" is just like saying "Learn to deal with Fox's Shine". It is not undoable by any stretch of the word but even if you do it dosen't change the fact that he will still have an advantage over you due to how strong of a move it is.

My only complaint with bayonetta is witch time. As mentioned in the video, it's low risk, high reward.

The total duration of being slowed down should be dependent on the countered move damage.
That way things like jabs will end quickly, whereas things like smash attacks would last longer.

Or perhaps being able to input something else, like put up a shield or dodge (Which you can do in order to avoid Shulk's counter if you throw a fast move)

Last edited:
People excoriating Zero for this just aren't thinking clearly. You're seriously suggesting he needs to "git gud." He'd wreck you and take your money ALL DAY.

Zero is right. Everything he said in this video is absolutely correct and deep down even the dissenters know this is the case. I'm sorry your grasp of game design is limited to "lol nothing is broken lol just adapt cause the other player totally can't do that too" -- but that's just moronic.

There are real, clear, obvious design problems with bayonetta. The data supports that. You can hide with your hands over your ears or you can listen to someone who understands the game far better than you ever will, humble yourself, and stop to think "y'know... maybe I'm wrong... maybe, just maybe, the best smash player in the world knows what he's talking about"
Zero has been wrong many times. It takes awhile for everyone even the best smash players to realize that first impressions are not always correct. My favorite one was when he thought Doc was absolute trash and then Nairo played a game with Doc and suddenly everyone(including Zero) wants to hop on the bandwagon and be like well Doc is kind of good.

So many extreme stances in these comments...

I should throw my hat into the ring with a video, myself. I feel like I have something worth saying in regards to this whole controversy.

Honestly, while I may not feel that the strength of ZeRo's words is appropriate, the message is very much so; Bayonetta is a character with a very borked balancing job, and if this is the end of Smash balancing, I feel like we may need to consider banning her or at least imposing rules on her like with Brawl Meta Knight.

While it may be amazing for Bayo players to see Bayo doing great in tournaments, people need to imagine what **** characters like Charizard have in dealing with Bayo's gameplan. It is a nightmare to play the Bayo match as Charizard, and considering he's a stellar example of how great characters can become, I feel like having a character that utterly butt****s him and most of the other non-top characters is downright unfair. Shiek and Zamus are hard enough for characters like Charizard, but now we have a character that can KO us off of a single whiffed move.

And why?

Because we're big. That's the only reason. We're big and therefore are combo fodder for her because somebody decided that giving a character the ability to 0-death heavies consistently off of any goddamn mistake or whiff was a good ****ing game balance decision.

This isn't me ******** about Bayo being broken, this is me saying that Bayo is really detrimental to the growth of the meta; and if we don't catch that before it gets really bad, we'll end up in a similar situation to Melee; where the only characters that are common are those in the S tier, and anything below B is basically abandoned by the community.

Everyone here, even ZeRo, plays this game to have fun. This game isn't a money-making thing for us, it's a passion we love and want to see grow. And if that means banning a character that could utterly stagnate the meta into only choosing characters that work against that one character...
Then I would ban Bayo in a heartbeat if it meant more people could enjoy playing in tournaments.

The Brawl competetive scene banned Meta Knight, despite that many top players mained him, because he was detrimental and overfocusing on the game's meta.

Bayonetta is exactly. the. same. If you guys are having fun with Bayo, that's fine. But it's not fair to the people who play other characters that can't do well against Bayo to be essentially told "GET GUD AND PLAY BAYO SCRUB".

I shouldn't have to drop a character I love for a character I dislike simply because otherwise I'm NEVER GOING TO DO WELL. That is a calling card of a bad metagame, and most games try to avoid **** like this.

I'm not calling for Bayo to be banned (as much as this situation is highly reminiscent of Brawl Meta Knight), I'm not demonizing Bayo players for playing Bayonetta as a character.

I'm speaking as a person concerned for the health of the meta that I feel like Bayonetta may do a lot more harm than good for this game's meta, simply because she's too goddamn good.

Again, people shouldn't need to pick up characters they don't like playing just to place decently without getting bodied by Bayos. So if it comes to the point where Bayo has to be banned for the game to continue being interesting, then nobody has any right to ***** and whine about it when it happens because they deem it "NOT FAIR THAT BAYO GOT BANNED BUT SHIEK AND DIDDY DIDN'T", because Diddy and Shiek didn't have the ability to kill off of a mother****ing JAB.

You see, Bayonetta is already fully developed with absolutely no more room for improvement in terms of her meta. All that then remains is for everyone to adapt and she'll be revealed for the super balanced character she so obviously is.

You want to beat Bayonetta? Play a defensive character. There's plenty.
Villager, Palutena, Zelda, Duck Hunt, Mega Man and Olimar all have high-tech spacing and defense game that can guard (and most can reflect) against Bullet Arts, slow her down, or bait her into a massive KO move.
Some people like to play aggressively. If you play perfect and aggressive against Bayonetta, you can still lose. Yes, she definitely has weaknesses against campy characters, but do you really expect everyone to pick up a campy secondary when at least somewhat aggressive play is generally seen as more fun to play and to watch?

This will probably just be until people understand how to counter everything she's got. Similar to cloud when he was new.
F
Cloud was annoying because his neutral is so good. It's like Shiek, kinda. You can adapt to Cloud, because anything you do in the neutral ca be read and punished. The issue is when a character's punish game is so strong that you have zero close up options that will never lead to you being combed to death. Basically, if a good Bayo gets a read on anything you do around her, you've lost a stock.

And so many people who just jump on the Bayo hating bandwagon. Stop acting like she's Brawl Meta Knight when's she's clearly not and maybe things would go better.
No, she's not Brawl Meta Knight.

She's Brawl Ice Climbers, and that's much, much worse.

Witch Time, Witch Twist, and ABK are all blatantly overtuned moves, especially dropkick ABK and Witch Time, as either one by itself is easy to quickly throw out when in trouble, insanely rewarding if successful, and relatively difficult to punish. Sheik's ability to Bouncing Fish out of trouble and insane recovery were frustrating enough, but Bayo can not only easily escape trouble, but kill you from disadvantage for the slightest mistake. ABK is fast, has a good hitbox, and is super rewarding on hit. On top of this, none of the above 3 moves are particularly punishable on whiff in spite of how rewarding they are, which is simply insane. It's pretty clear that there are aspects to the character that ought to be toned down for balance reasons. That doesn't necessarily mean that Bayo should be banned or is even the best in the game, nor does it mean players shouldn't adapt as best they can.

Lol, of course some people will defend a character who can spam 0-to-death combos that work pretty freaking often. I don't trust this community at all, I wouldn't be surprised if Bayo became this game's version of Brawl MetaKnight.

I feel like ZeR0 has a very good anology when he said it's like fighting Ice Climbers. They're such different characters to the point where you have to change up you're game plan and be extra careful. Like, extra. extra careful (solely because of the zero to deaths and witch time). I personally don't want to sound motivated to say she's not broken after I just recently made a Bayonetta player switch to his original main now that I learned the MU a bit more (oh hell no, she's high tier if not god tier), so I really want more time to tell on this issue. It's only been a month and a half since her release, so let's wait a bit before we decide she's the next Meta Knight, shall we?

Last edited:
He sounds a bit salty to me, that's all I am saying. He is known for picking the top tier characters in Smash. If she ends up becoming the next MetaKnight like in brawl, we just have to learn the match up.

I agree with some, if not most, of what Zero said. I think a possible fix could be to add a little more end lag to her UpB (non-held version) and ABK. This way zero-to-deaths shouldnt happen that often or at all that and ppl could escape the "combos" a easier.

The only thing that bothers me about Bayonetta is Witch Twist. I mean, it's a frame 4 move that has almost no ending lag that starts 0-death combos. Like what. If that move had, for example, 12 frames of startup and slightly more endlgag it would completely fine. The fact that it can be used OoS is kinda dumb, Bayonetta should have a subpar neutral considering the reward she has but that move just bypass her major weakness.

Last edited:
Results speak louder than words in my book. If Bayonetta is so broken in the current patch, let's see her win some large regionals, majors or nationals then. Let's also see players switch to her and win where they didn't before (outside of locals).

Thus far we only have 2GGT FOW, and Nairo won with ZSS, his usual pick (who was also nerfed alongside Shiek). Bayonetta wasn't even seen in top 8 i dont think. Granted, there haven't been too many tourneys since 1.1.5 dropped, so time will tell.

I fear that if this continues and Bayonetta starts dominating the metagame, we're going to find the game devolving into a situation where Brawl was probably at its worst. The situation where players just actively avoid eachother, because the risk involved with approaching the opponent is so much higher than the potential reward in success (along with a not-so-stellar success rate). And you can't just tell us all to go play campy characters to counterplay her, I can't accept that. I feel like it should be obvious why this is harmful to the game.

I do think some measures need to be taken against her. Preferably, I'd see her issues adressed in a patch, I have some things in mind that I think would do a lot to mitigate the problems. (But that's another discussion entirely.) But until that happens, or if it just doesn't happen at all, I would not be against a ban. If not now, give her some time and let some more tournaments, maybe EVO prove her position in the metagame (whatever that turns out to be), and base the decision on wether or not to ban Bayonetta on what comes off of that. Obviously retest if another patch does hit afterwards.

Believe me, I'm all for 'adapting' and all that, but sometimes, that'll only get you so far. Some balancing issues just really can't be overcome by just 'adapting'.

Happy Easter guys.
Everyone reading this, just take a deep breath. We're all friends here, and we're just trying to constructively discuss a character in a video game.
That said, I understand that she's broken. No disputing that. For those of you saying "git gud", please tell us what you mean by that. I don't advocate just "git gud", but I will raise an important point. When cloud came out, I thought he was occupying the same niche Bayo is in now. I feel like sometimes we need to give some time and some practice to let ourselves see how she can be exploited. For those of you saying that "she's unpunishable" that's a lie. While there's only a few frames of lag on her moves those really count: sometimes as pit all you need is a triple fair or perhaps as fox at high percentage a nair to up smash can always knock off a stock.
But, if it's clear that the only way to adapt to her is to play as her, a ban is necessary in my opinion.
As for the people that advocate patches, I hate to bring bad news, but shouldn't they be over? And if they're not for some reason, can we really expect Sakurai to drastically nerf her? It took so long for him to finally do something substantial to zero suit samus. Again, time will tell, but if this happens I don't believe it will be for a while.
With all of this said, I have one thing to say that I have already said: time. Give it time. You'd be surprised what paitence can do. For those of you celebrating Easter today, enjoy your holiday and then come back to the game and see what you think then.

"Learn the matchup" is literally the most toxic thing I've heard in a long time. If something is so good there's top players complaining about it maybe you should realize that the problem isn't just the matchup. If you're one of the people that says "learn the matchup" just know that nobody should take your argument seriously.

The problem here isn't how good Bayonetta is – it's how she's good. As in, what she does in order to become so effective is detrimental to the game (if some of the things that I've been hearing in these threads are true). Her not having won a major is A) probably just due to how new she is, and B) not related to the issue. Bayonetta being the best character in the game? Nothing wrong with that, there's bound to be one. Top tier? No issue. It's what makes her so effective and the nature of her design as a fighter that makes her detrimental to the game. (Although, her top-tier-ness does make the problem more widespread since she's used by more players.)

Bayonetta can kill you off of a jab read and perform zero-deaths out of mobility tools. She can kill you off of a jab read and zero-death out of low-lag mobility tools. That just plain breaks the flow of Smash as a fighter. "But she's not OP, you can punish it by playing a super-careful keep-away game!" Yeah, but it still breaks the game. I'm not talking about overpoweredness, I'm talking about how Bayonetta makes the game less enjoyable for everyone involved, since the opponent is encouraged – forced, even – to play a slow, campy, honestly quite boring playstyle. Nobody likes watching or playing a slow, campy match.

This is also different from Brawl Meta Knight, because Meta Knight was simply overpowered, not fundamentally game-breaking. In a MK ditto, you still at the very least play Smash normally. You space around with safe moves to get an opening (a neutral game). You have to build up percent to win. etc. MK only "broke the game" in terms of balance, since those playing MK had an unfair advantage over those who played other characters. Bayonetta dittos, though, will have the same fundamental problems as any other Bayo match. You can get punished off of super-safe moves thanks to Witch Time. She can kill you at 0% with a few DI reads / reactions. It's more like the Ice Climbers really, with their chaingrabs and wobbling and whatnot. (If the Ice Climbers couldn't escape another IC duo's chaingrabs thanks to Nana that is, although I guess Bayo has that frame-one dodge stuff that can escape combos... but anyway.)

Bottom line:
Our goal as a community is to make the game as enjoyable as possible. If Bayonetta's presence in any given match makes the game less enjoyable, then excluding her from all matches will make the game more enjoyable as a whole.

Disclaimers:
  • WE SHOULD NOT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS BEFORE TESTING THIS THOROUGHLY. While the above seems to be the problem, it's very possible that there's a way to effectively combat Bayonetta without making the game less enjoyable. If time passes and this doesn't happen, however, I believe a ban is called for.
  • Some of this stuff has probably already said earlier in this thread or other ones. Just sharing my stance.
  • I'm not a very experienced competitive player outside of a buncha For Glory matches, and I'm taking people's word for a lot of things I bring up here. Don't quote me on this stuff, I'm working with the assumption that people aren't giving false info.

Bayo is a counterpick specifically to "lightweight fastfallers".
That is how she is designed. The fact that the competitive scene is dominated by this restricted category and they are losing to weaker players simply means they now need secondaries.
They need to start considering floaty characters, Samus, peach, puff, luigi, etc...

Bayo is a counterpick specifically to "lightweight fastfallers".
That is how she is designed. The fact that the competitive scene is dominated by this restricted category and they are losing to weaker players simply means they now need secondaries.
They need to start considering floaty characters, Samus, peach, puff, luigi, etc...
Lightweight fastfallers aren't the only ones susceptible to Witch Time's jab-read kills. (Or her combos if I'm not mistaken? Not sure about this, think I remember there being ones that work on other weight classes tho.)

How about ZeRo stops complaining and gets good at stoping Bayonetta.

The dude played Meta Knignt in Brawl but somehow Bayo is "too broken".

How about he stops being a ***** like usual and just play and learn like a legit player. Doesn't matter if you won multiple tournaments or not. How about getting good instead of riding off of top tiers like you did before

Or play Bayonetta like you will when you complained about Diddy and play him hard pre-patch.

I hate to say is and I know this might spark controversy but ZeRo is a damn fraud

How about ZeRo stops complaining and gets good at stoping Bayonetta.

The dude played Meta Knignt in Brawl but somehow Bayo is "too broken".

How about he stops being a ***** like usual and just play and learn like a legit player. Doesn't matter if you won multiple tournaments or not. How about getting good instead of riding off of top tiers like you did before

Or play Bayonetta like you will when you complained about Diddy and play him hard pre-patch.

I hate to say is and I know this might spark controversy but ZeRo is a damn fraud
So ZeRo is bad at Smash 4?

lol k.

(Also, read my post about how this is a very different case than Brawl MK – Bayo breaks the game in a very different way.)

Lightweight fastfallers aren't the only ones susceptible to Witch Time's jab-read kills. (Or her combos if I'm not mistaken?
By the time Samus is intentionally using her jab, Bayo is 3/4 of the way to death incidentally. You're looking at Z-air, CS and SM combos and Tech chases to kill at that point anyways.

With even half assed DI + SDI Samus avoids any of the large combos.
It takes 3,4, 5 bayo combos that all fail at some point to even get Samus into kill percents.
It takes 1 average-end bayo combo to kill Shiek, ZSS, Metaaknight etc...

So yes, she's very very strong vs. lightweight rush-down fast fallers and basically a counter-pick.
She's really not that strong at all against a super-heavyweight floaty combo character that often kills at range.

So ZeRo is bad at Smash 4?

lol k.

(Also, read my post about how this is a very different case than Brawl MK – Bayo breaks the game in a very different way.)
Did I say he was bad? Nope, meant that he's being a whiny idiot again.

He's moreso lazy than bad in more cases

Please note that "learning the matchup" is easier said than done. And even if you do learn the matchup, it's still difficult to fight against.
Bayonetta forces you to change your playstyle. Playing aggressively is not a good strategy against Bayo because of Witch time. Once you're stuck in there, she has all the time in the world to do whatever she wants. You're in the air near the ledge? Down Smash. You're at a low percentage? 2 smash attacks will do the trick.
It's even worse that Bayonetta doesn't even need Witch time in order to easily zero to death you. She's a monster, but she also isn't Brawl MK.
The amount of options she has over the other characters is insane. However, even if she is heavily nerfed, we'll still complain about the game.
"ugh, :4bayonetta2:still has Witch time"
"ugh, :rosalina:and that pillow of hers are still broken"
"ugh, :4sonic:, :4mario: and :4fox: are so braindead"

Yes, it's unfortunate, but sooner or later, we're going to have to "git gud" against Bayo, whether you like it or not. I don't like the amount of options Bayonetta has either, but we've gotten through these guys :foxmelee::metaknight: before, we can "learn the matchup" again.

Yeah. When I picked her up she was just a win button. I think I'm done with smash 4 for a while. Once again the smash community proves to me that they can't have nice things.

I feel like ZeR0 has a very good anology when he said it's like fighting Ice Climbers. They're such different characters to the point where you have to change up you're game plan and be extra careful. Like, extra. extra careful=
This can literally be applied to the majority of Smash 4 newcomers, and many of the veterans.

Sheik doesn't understand the meaning of the words "landing lag". Plus she used to be able to out camp you from any point in the stage unless you were Rosalina. And she has absurd recovery options.

ZSS has a move that literally makes her intangible, flips her over pretty much anything and can lead to a devastating meteor or you being buried into the ground, and she had an obnoxiously fast tether grab. Her recovery, is even MORE absurd than Sheik's. Most characters can forget about trying to gimp these two (at least most characters have a decent shot of gimping Bayonetta, all you have to do to gimp her is use a move that outranges her, which isn't hard. Her recovery is definitely one of the best still, but at least it isn't a case where only one or two characters can stand a chance of gimping her).

Rosalina changes the match into a 2v1. The sole reason people still complain about Rosalina being OP is because they keep playing the MU like it's a 1v1. It also isn't like Ice Climbers where you have to learn the moves and properties of one character that happens to be duplicated. Rosalina & Luma have their own movesets and properties and you have to learn how they work individually, and how they work in tandem. She also gets unique utility out of many cast-wide techniques, such as Auto-Cancelling, A-Landing, RAR, etc, which causes many characters to be shut down. She can literally negate any and all projectile games unless the player is EXTREMELY smart about it. And while she unfortunately does not have a hitbox on her default recovery, she can recover from any point of the stage as long as she avoids taking a hit, and luckily, Launch Star is quick and versatile enough to make that possible. Also, ask Luma what "move priority and clanking", is, and he will say "literally what are you on about?". That is just scratching the surface of how this character breaks the rules and causes everyone else to take a different approach. Rosalina also forces her players to understand two different sets of controls, the normal Smash controls of moving Rosalina, and the unique controls involved with moving and positioning Luma.

Little Mac has a OHKO move that causes the opponent to play extremely carefully and he can literally shrug off any knockback and flinching by simply being in the animation of his Smash attacks, causing players to be punished for punishes or reads they normally would have had, like so:

(I still won that match tho, lol)

Cloud has basically a combination of traits that no character should really have all at once - speed, power, range, amazing frame data, combo potential, a good projectile, and a self-buffing mechanic that he can charge at will, that also gives him an absurdly early KO option. Even Sakurai has gone on record saying that it was difficult to make him feel balanced. The only things holding Cloud back at all, are his poor recovery and off-stage game without Limit, and the fact his moves work at very defined, predictable angles. Also some characters can just out camp him because they have better projectiles or they negate his. By all accounts though, he is the character with the most obvious "combination of traits that no character should have under sensible design in fighting games, regardless of if it's 1v1 or FFA".

Those are just a few examples but I think I've made the point clear. Also note, I am not saying any of the above characters are OP or something, but that they all have things that FORCE lots of characters to play differently.

So no, saying Bayonetta is a problem on the basis that she "breaks normal rules of Smash" and causes players to think differently, is not a good reason to claim she is problematic. Literally half the cast have this "problem".

In reality though, this simply makes the game interesting. It would be boring if every character was playing under the same "rules", and they only differences they have are whether or not they are fast and weak, or slow and strong.

I'm not talking about overpoweredness, I'm talking about how Bayonetta makes the game less enjoyable for everyone involved, since the opponent is encouraged – forced, even – to play a slow, campy, honestly quite boring playstyle. Nobody likes watching or playing a slow, campy match.
Do not state an opinion as a universal fact. I like watching a battle of wits as much as a flashy, anime DBZ style slap fest. Sometimes more so.

This is also different from Brawl Meta Knight, because Meta Knight was simply overpowered, not fundamentally game-breaking.
Yes, he was.

Characters flat out didn't have options against Brawl MK. He is like Cloud, in that he is fundamentally game breaking in the sense he has a combination of tools that no character should have at once under sensible game design, except unlike Cloud, he wasn't given anything to balance him out or make him predictable. Many of these tools also broke inherent rules, like gliding, and he could use like, 3 recovery moves in one jump, outside of his normal jumps and gliding. He didn't know what frame data or priority was either. The list goes on.

And a character that is over powered is FAR worse than a character that breaks a few rules. You flat out can't do anything solid against an overpowered character, and you don't need to be particularly good at the game to do well with them. It doesn't matter what you do against a truly OP character, as there is never a situation where they aren't at an advantage. A character that breaks a few rules might skew a certain subset of MUs into "shut down" territory, but most characters still stand a chance, you just need to think outside the box, which is exciting to see. Characters that break rules also force you to get good at mechanics or strategies you might not normally use, making you a fundamentally better player, both if you play as them or against them. For example, if you don't normally play doubles but want to get into playing doubles, playing a bit of Rosalina & Luma is of course going to teach you some of the fundamental mechanics one must learn to be an effective member of a doubles pair.

The reason why I will say "git gud" to people who whine about Bayonetta, Rosalina, Little Mac, or any character of this "rule breaking" kind, is because they are only whining about these characters because they don't want to take the time to think outside the box, and learn some new strategies. They just want to play the same, meat-headed "run in guns blazing" strategy, the whole time. And that can indeed get boring in and of itself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom