• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

True combos

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
What true combos do you know, and are they worth learning? For example Nair-neutral-neutral-neutral-fsmash seems to be a good combo (maybe not quite true but it works) but it's super hard to land. Are these worth practicing and trying to use?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
A lot of his true combos utilise his specials. Though they're not his only options, they definately make his stronger combos - here's some ideas to what can work. There's also a couple of follow-up tips in there (Don't worry, most, if not all are all still true combo related.). Mix these up a little to help find your own (All tested around 0%-60%. Note - Not sure how opponents can react to these with DI.).
  • D-air to U-tilt/F-tilt. Hits quite reliably under 50% when you learn how to make it work. Can hit from a hop, so go for this when you're feeling confident. You can Side-B into this one on hit at lower %s.
  • U-tilt to U-air. Pretty simple. You'll have to be quick on this one, so hop fast. Hits more reliably closer to 50%.
  • U-air x2. Hits often under or around 50%. Usually as a followup to other hits.
  • U-tilt to U-smash. Stops working reliably after roughly 30%. Unreliable earlier on lighter/floaty characters. Varies greatly - very low % on a heavy character may even allow a second u-tilt.
  • Side-B to U-air. Pretty straightforward. Under around 45%, can chain into 2 U-airs.
  • Side-B to F-air. Again, pretty straightforward. Can chain higher than 50%, but gets unreliable.
  • F-air x2. Can chain realiably, but usually needs a set-up. Cannot reliably be set up from a Side-B hit.
  • F-air to U-tilt. Stops hitting reliably after 50%.
  • D-tilt to Dash. Unreliable over 30%, but kind of an interesting mix-up for low %.
  • F-air to D-tilt. Much easier to hit from the downswing, but you can make it work on the up. The second or last D-tilt hit might whiff at higher %, even if the first hits, so be careful.
  • Forward-B does not launch foes as high if not sped-up, allowing for some easier combos. Though, obviously, this makes it much easier to anticipate.
  • At roughly 90%, a Full speed Forward-B will launch foes to the apex of your Up-B for a quick hammer hit. Use this well, and you'll get a KO from a nasty double special true combo.
  • At approx. 75%, there's a pretty nasty variation on the above strategy - Forward-B will juggle into U-air, then into Up-B for an equally dangerous KO.
  • If you and your foe land at similar times, you can try for a grab mix-up. While there aren't many, if any follow-ups for this, they make for nifty combo finishers and can space you and your opponent.
  • D-air will launch opponents away from the final hit. Try to land as central as you can on the opposing side of where you want to launch them for an easier follow-up. D-air can also combo to F-air and B-air, although F-air is more reliable at higher %, B-air does more damage. (Thanks to LwYz.Ph. for the B-air follow-up tip.)
  • F-air on its downswing makes for incredibly reliable follow-ups, but is tough to hit in. At lower percents, both F-air hits can get in making for an easy grab follow-up or tilt.
  • N-air is generally not the best move to combo, as it can't auto-cancel from a short-hop, but you can use it for mix-ups that will surprise your opponent, and give you some easy follow-ups.
  • Abuse Mechakoopa timings to get in true combos off the explosion. Easy, effective. Treat your MKs well, and they'll treat you better.
  • Follow Mechakoopas - Not only is this a good strategy in general, but if they hit, jump and grab them with an air attack. If done right, you'll grab the MK before it explodes and hit your foe from the initial MK flip-up. You can usually instantly follow-up by throwing the MK. Can be tough to land, but very rewarding.
  • You can also hit D-Smash from a Mechakoopa flip hit. While tough, the resulting explosion will combo with your D-Smash for nasty results. KOs around 100%.
  • Some lighter/floaty characters might come out of range of your Mechakoopa's explosion post-flip - in these cases, just follow-up with an air.
They're the tips I can think of off the top of my head - I'll update if I can - try those next time you're playing the Koops.

Update 1 - Updates are in red.
Update 2 - Updates are in green.

Last edited:

LwYz.Ph.

Smash Rookie
NNID
lwyz.ph
Dair can combo into a lot of thing at lower percents, but here is my favorite one:
Side-B -> Dair -> Bair

This is a 30%+ true combo and can also be followed by an Ftilt ,a grab or a full hop Fair but this will depend on the character and the opponents DI because sometimes they can use their double jump after that last Bair.

You have to be careful with the Dair tho, you must move a tiny bit forward while doing it so it launches the opponents backwards. You can adjust the landing on the Dair so the opponent lands in front of you as well.

So yeah, at low percents side-b should always be followed by a Dair, when it will stop working depends on the character of your opponent.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Dair can combo into a lot of thing at lower percents, but here is my favorite one:
Side-B -> Dair -> Bair

This is a 30%+ true combo and can also be followed by an Ftilt ,a grab or a full hop Fair but this will depend on the character and the opponents DI because sometimes they can use their double jump after that last Bair.

You have to be careful with the Dair tho, you must move a tiny bit forward while doing it so it launches the opponents backwards. You can adjust the landing on the Dair so the opponent lands in front of you as well.

So yeah, at low percents side-b should always be followed by a Dair, when it will stop working depends on the character of your opponent.
Just tested this - it's pretty legit, never really tried to combo B-air, even though this one is a pretty easy set-up. Should be noted that D-air knocks the opponent away from you when it finishes, so you wanna get as central as possible when it does for an easier follow-up. If you're unsure where D-air is gonna send your foe, just go for a full-jump N-air. It's much safer than guessing a hit and you can react post-hit to move away.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
sideB > upB > Hammer is the best thing since sliced bread.

iirc it starts to combo around 70% on most characters and doesn't take much more than that to start KOing, depending on stage position and rage.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
If you have great timing you can kill with Side-B -> U-air at high percentage. This combo is pretty much always true at any percent and its my go to combo after D-air isn't an option from the cart

Weruop

Smash Ace
On some chars you can dair to dair before your follow up - I don't think I've seen anyone mention it yet. You can also land 3 or more dairs on even heavier and larger characters.

Kushamo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5525-1625
So far, I've found d-air to forward air to jab a pretty reliable damage builder at low-mid percents. Past that, the jab won't connect, but dash attack still might (or even a side-b if they're careless, in which case you can add in another attack or two)
I saw a bit ago a video of mechakoopa > footstool > up-b, but be warned that this is incredibly difficult to pull off. I haven't even been able to replicate it myself, and I'm not sure if its a true combo or not.
Besides that, I don't have anything that hasn't already been said. Recently I've been trying to find a reliable setup into down smash at kill percents - it comes out quick and has great killing power, but its endlag makes it really punishable on misses.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
So far, I've found d-air to forward air to jab a pretty reliable damage builder at low-mid percents. Past that, the jab won't connect, but dash attack still might (or even a side-b if they're careless, in which case you can add in another attack or two)
I saw a bit ago a video of mechakoopa > footstool > up-b, but be warned that this is incredibly difficult to pull off. I haven't even been able to replicate it myself, and I'm not sure if its a true combo or not.
Besides that, I don't have anything that hasn't already been said. Recently I've been trying to find a reliable setup into down smash at kill percents - it comes out quick and has great killing power, but its endlag makes it really punishable on misses.
Wow, love that Mechakoopa to up-B shenanigans. :D Only hit that once or twice myself. Might have to try more often. My mechakoopa game is strong. :V -as for your combo, F-tilt or U-tilt are both pretty much 100% more reliable than jab for anything with the Koops. I'd give those a whirl, but if you know something I don't, feel free to add.

-also, as a note, your most reliable smash is U-smash. I'd honestly try going for that more than D-smash. Though - I'd also like to say that D-air has a nasty trip effect to it sometimes, and while I don't know how this really functions, you may be able to use it to follow up into D-smash since I've accidentally combo'd into tilts and side-smash while doing it before. It'd be a miracle to learn the strategy and timings for it, but it might be worth a look into if you're up for a challenge. :p I'll also do some looking into D-smash setups myself as it's a move I don't use often enough.

[Edit]: Corrected "U-smash combos" at the end of the post into "D-smash setups". No idea how I got them confused. Durr.

Last edited:

LwYz.Ph.

Smash Rookie
NNID
lwyz.ph
Oh yeah, also F-tilt can cause random tripping at very low percents (Idk if angled downwards can increase the chances), which can combo into a lot of things (F-smash, D-smash, grab, etc).

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Oh yeah, also F-tilt can cause random tripping at very low percents (Idk if angled downwards can increase the chances), which can combo into a lot of things (F-smash, D-smash, grab, etc).
You know, I've just tested, and I'm almost sure it's when the move is tipped. No idea if it's got potential, but certainly interesting. O.o

[Edit]: Apparently, it's seemingly random. Well, okay then!

[Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo - The double post avoidance: Revengance]:
What true combos do you know, and are they worth learning? For example Nair-neutral-neutral-neutral-fsmash seems to be a good combo (maybe not quite true but it works) but it's super hard to land. Are these worth practicing and trying to use?
Ahh, you know what, I just realisedhow this works. -aaand it's not a full combo, as the initial N-air can be teched out of.

...-however! What this is instead of a full combo is a jab-lock set-up and execution! Yay! :b:
(Yes, N-air is now confirmed (by me, atleast - dunno if you others knew it) to set-up jab-locks! Good to know!)

(Oh, and... -so is F-tilt at higher %s... Just so people know.)

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
As you all know Bowser JR's Fair doesn't autocancel if you shorthop fastfall it and has a bit of lag, but something i discovered today is that the landing animation of Fair has it's own separate hitbox!

So SH Fair > FF into lag animation hit > Ftilt/Utilt/Dtilt or Grab is actually a true combo at 0% to around 20% damage on characters around the weight of Ike (percentage it works on varies depending on character of course).

(For those who don't know SH = Shorthop and FF = Fastfall)

I think it can be quite useful as you can do it on reaction if you connect a SH Fair.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
here is one "true" combo found by myself and perfected it.
SideB-> JumpCancle -> DAir -> Landing Dair and Interrupt -> Jab -> Jab -> Jab -> Finishing Move of your choice!
it works best at 0-6% since they landing on the ground earlier! at 12% is acceptable, but risky of DI! the only combo breaker is if they miss the tech or the % is too high so they can jump/attack before hitting the ground!

other true combos that can be done:
at 0%
SideB-> JC -> DAir -> Landing Dair and Interrupt -> Dash Attack (16-17 pure combo hit)/Fair/Nair/Grab

at 30~%
SideB-> JC -> FAir (if done correctly you can Jablock this too)

SideB -> JC -> Nair (if done correctly you can jablock this too, but its bit harder but can do it at later % than Fair)

over 40~%
SideB -> JC -> UAir

thats the combos I havent seen in the thread already

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Yeah those are useful @ pikazz pikazz . the one in your video is a jablock setup though which is very easy to escape but it's good to keep in mind if they miss the tech.
A stylish true combo i have found is:

Mechakoopa flip hit > Side B Hit > SH Dair to catch the Mechakoopa > JC Throw > Fair

From 0% it's a 5 hit true combo (registers as 13 hit) combo that deals 40% damage and you can also do a Fair followup after the first one even if it doesn't true combo.

It's kind of hard to pull off against a good opponent sometimes unless you skip the Side B but it's cool nontheless!

Last edited:

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
here is one "true" combo found by myself and perfected it.
SideB-> JumpCancle -> DAir -> Landing Dair and Interrupt -> Jab -> Jab -> Jab -> Finishing Move of your choice!
it works best at 0-6% since they landing on the ground earlier! at 12% is acceptable, but risky of DI! the only combo breaker is if they miss the tech or the % is too high so they can jump/attack before hitting the ground!

other true combos that can be done:
at 0%
SideB-> JC -> DAir -> Landing Dair and Interrupt -> Dash Attack (16-17 pure combo hit)/Fair/Nair/Grab

at 30~%
SideB-> JC -> FAir (if done correctly you can Jablock this too)

SideB -> JC -> Nair (if done correctly you can jablock this too, but its bit harder but can do it at later % than Fair)

over 40~%
SideB -> JC -> UAir

thats the combos I havent seen in the thread already
Instead of the jabs, I just go for a dash attack. I'll have to try your combo now!

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
D-air doesn't combo into jab at all. It's just a jab lock setup which is frankly, incredibly easy to escape. I'd reccomend just comboing instantly into pretty much anything else from D-air rather than hoping for a setup.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
D-air doesn't combo into jab at all. It's just a jab lock setup which is frankly, incredibly easy to escape. I'd reccomend just comboing instantly into pretty much anything else from D-air rather than hoping for a setup.
at 0% on some character, the tech is the only escapeable move. at 12% (like in the video) was risky, but it was so rewarding to get from a clean 12% to 60%
otherwise, the only true combo if you count out the jab lock is Dash Attack/ Fair / Nair or even a Grab, there the Dash Attack gives you most hit in training! up to 16 non-escapable combo hit

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yeah those are useful @ pikazz pikazz . the one in your video is a jablock setup though which is very easy to escape but it's good to keep in mind if they miss the tech.
A stylish true combo i have found is:

Mechakoopa flip hit > Side B Hit > SH Dair to catch the Mechakoopa > JC Throw > Fair

From 0% it's a 5 hit true combo (registers as 13 hit) combo that deals 40% damage and you can also do a Fair followup after the first one even if it doesn't true combo.

It's kind of hard to pull off against a good opponent sometimes unless you skip the Side B but it's cool nontheless!
Kinda like this? ;) http://gfycat.com/limitedpastelcoqui
From the bjr video thread.
Recorded that week 2 on 3ds. Was excited but have literally never pulled it off in a legitimate setting.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Not remotely similar? the first 60% is identical ;)
Well okay that was the wrong way to put it :p Creds to you for discovering Side B > Dair Catch part i guess but i hadn't seen it before :) You could say my combo is a extension of your Gif since yours is a followup and mine counts as a combo on the combo meter.
Anyway, to add something more to this thread:

Uair > Bair/Fair combos at a pretty wide range of percents starting at about 35% damage and is a good followup from Utilt.
Utilt > Uair > Bair/Fair also combos, though im not sure about the percentage range where it works.

Spinout > Dtilt/Ftilt/Jablock seems pretty easy to connect with at lower percents since you slide about to the spot where they land after the spinout. Gotta test this a bit more.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Well okay that was the wrong way to put it :p Creds to you for discovering Side B > Dair Catch part i guess but i hadn't seen it before :) You could say my combo is a extension of your Gif since yours is a followup and mine counts as a combo on the combo meter.
Haha I don't need credit. I was just giving you a hard time. Cheers on figuring it out on your own!

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
One thing I don't see people do is side b > footstool at <20%. It's guaranteed and allows a dsmash followup if you fastfall after the footstool. Obviously situational. Great for teams.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
On some chars you can dair to dair before your follow up - I don't think I've seen anyone mention it yet. You can also land 3 or more dairs on even heavier and larger characters.
After thinking of so many combos i have never thought of linking Dair to Dair when it should be so obivious haha

Experimented alot with this today and was able to combo Side B > Dair > Dair > Bair for a 45% true combo in training mode (registers as 20 hits if you get all Dair hits) and works in the matches i tested it in too. Not sure how easily you will get the second Dair if the opponent DI's well but it's a cool thing to keep in mind for low percent combos.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
dtilt > dash grab at low %is probably my favourite thing to do in this game. So demoralizing to get hit by it.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
dtilt > dash grab at low %is probably my favourite thing to do in this game. So demoralizing to get hit by it.
I'm trying to practice this on Captain Falcon but I can't seem to nail it... He always has a small chance to get away right after the dtilt...
Also, Moosebones could you elaborate on the combos out of side B that you mentioned in the custom moves thread? I am trying to practice them but am not really finding an effective way to pull them off either... >.>

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Which ones specifically are you having issues with? They're all for the most part percentage specific and I listed them to show the myriad options bjr has at different stages of the fight.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Which ones specifically are you having issues with? They're all for the most part percentage specific and I listed them to show the myriad options bjr has at different stages of the fight.
Side b > uair > uair - I only seem to get this against heavy characters at lower percents.
side b > weak uair > fair - What is a weak uair?
side b > up b - this one tends to work for me at medium percentages.
side b > up b > hammer - I've perfected this one at medium-high percents for kills on most characters, though I don't ALWAYS hit it...
side b > dair > side b > dair - I keep missing this one on people... I don't really know what percentage to use it.
side b > dair > fair - This one I also keep missing >.>
side b > footstool > up b > hammer - I get everything but the hammer at low percentages here. And I don't seem to get the hammer swing at all... >.> not sure when to pull it out, especially when DI gets involved.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Another good combo is
Side B -> Jc -> Dair -> grab.
Works well at low percent.
Do you need to dash grab immediately? Because I find this one unreliable due to his slow as molasses grab >.>
Edit: I guess I just need more practice. But this one seems like it has a narrow window of opportunity and is out of the question when lag is present.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Added notes :)

Side b > uair > uair - I only seem to get this against heavy characters at lower percents. *This is probably his most standard combo. Works on most of the cast at low %s, with the exception of fastfallers*

side b > weak uair > fair - What is a weak uair? *If you hit late with uair it gives you an exceedingly weak hitbox that allows for followups. Kind of hard to pull off without practice*

side b > up b - this one tends to work for me at medium percentages. *Yep, against certain characers it's potent, but uairx2 is usually better if they know the MU*

side b > up b > hammer - I've perfected this one at medium-high percents for kills on most characters, though I don't ALWAYS hit it... *This is arguably BJrs best kill setup. You need to learn the specific %s for each character*

side b > dair > side b > dair
- I keep missing this one on people... I don't really know what percentage to use it. *Works on heavies, fast fallers and big hurtboxes at extremely low %s, usually 0. Fox, Link, Sheik and DDD, for examples*

side b > dair > fair - This one I also keep missing >.> *If you get the dair the fair is basically guaranteed. If they DI down or out you get a free dash attack instead*

side b > footstool > up b > hammer - I get everything but the hammer at low percentages here. And I don't seem to get the hammer swing at all... >.> not sure when to pull it out, especially when DI gets involved. *Side B > Footstool only works at 0%, the rest comes with practice*

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
more stuff thats true combo:
(the % isnt final and requires more testing)

SideB > JC + Footstool > Z-Drop MK > Your Aerial Attack Of Your Choice (works at 0-5%)

SideB > JC + Footstool > Z-Drop MK > Dair > YAOYC (personal favor would be either Dash, FAir or JC USmash)

SideB > DAir > JC USmash (works at 0% -> ??%, but works best on bigger enemies and deals more damage than Dash Attack)

MK First Hit > Soft Footstool > MK Second Hit > Fair or Dair (Dair work from 0 - 40-50~% while Fair works on 0-80~%)

MKFH > MKSH > Footstool > UpB Timeframe exact > UpB Hammer (work between 0-999% (was able to kill bowser on 999% with UpB Hammer but the UpB bomb would easy kill it!)

the last true combo string is quite hard to set up since it requires timing with the footstool which is hard to get!
but I found out something that helps, thats if you deploy a MK
2 backrolls away from the opponent and do SideB as soon as you can, you are in perfect range of footstool without hitting the opponent with the cart!

I was able to replicate that and it works on middle to heavy characters. you can do it on some light weighted like kirby but the footstool is DIable and most likely miss the UpB.
you could read it more in this post above the quote

18bsouthworth

Smash Rookie
What true combos do you know, and are they worth learning? For example Nair-neutral-neutral-neutral-fsmash seems to be a good combo (maybe not quite true but it works) but it's super hard to land. Are these worth practicing and trying to use?[/quotehi

his forward air has a hitbox at the very end with set knockback. here is a video with all the options you have. my video is bowser jr. Fair tech. this stupid thing wont let me post a link.

Last edited:

maxluck_Q

Smash Rookie
Do you need to dash grab immediately? Because I find this one unreliable due to his slow as molasses grab >.>
Edit: I guess I just need more practice. But this one seems like it has a narrow window of opportunity and is out of the question when lag is present.
Yes, you need to dash grab as soon as you can.

Kantrip

Kantplay
It seems like the initial hit of fair has fixed knockback, which means all the combos that come out of fastfall fair can work at any percent. Could FF fair>U-Smash be another kill setup for us?

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but FAir has a hitbox when you land on the ground while the attack is still active which can setup combos or keep combos going. I personally like using this combo at low %'s.

Side B>Jump>Dair>FAir>Landing FAir>Grab>UpThrow>Uair>Uair

Uthrow into uair isn't guaranteed but if you land it, you can chain 2-3 uairs together that are guaranteed(depending on weight and DI) for scary amount of damage.

Edit: I should probably mention that this works best on heavyweights and fast fallers. Dash Attack instead of FAir works most of the time on most characters.

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Credit for finding this video goes to @Ffamran and for posting this in the video thread. But I think it's relevant for this thread too.
This video is a good demonstration of several options Jr has. Most of them have been covered in this thread already but I wanted a visual representation for those who have trouble picturing how the combos turn out (like me)

Super ninja panda

Smash Rookie
Here's a true combo .pick up a mechakoopa mecha juggle it get really close wait for it to blow up short hop backwards and bair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom