• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with Lucas

xarchangelzerox

Smash Rookie
One of my friends mains Lucas, and is incredible with him. One of the most annoying things that he'll do is chase me with his pk thunder while I'm recovering. I can dodge it about 80% of the time, but if it gets to the point where I have to use my up + b, he almost always hits me, and then I can't use the up + b again, which results in me falling to my death like a tard.

So I guess my question is are there any tricks to renewing the blue wings after you've been hit while using them? Or any suggestions against Lucas in general?

Thanks

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
Avoid using your Up B as a recovery at all. You can't do wing renewal unless you're on the stage. If you're offstage and if you know he's going to try and gimp you with his PK thunder, then don't use so many jumps. Just DI back towards to stage. With Brawl's floatiness you'll go more than halfway back to the stage.

I can't give you suggestions for actually fighting against him. I'm pretty horrible at fighting him myself. His attacks have so much more priority and range than yours.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Many of Lucas' attacks will knock you back at a decently high angle. It's angled high enough for you to do good glide recoveries much of the time. When you're getting gimped, it's probably when you are more below the stage then further away. Since Lucas doesn't really have juggling aerials, you could try mixing it up with arrows and _maybe_ mirror shield on your descents back to the stage.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
like pie said. just save your jumps till you get as close to the stage as possible. unless you're really high up, then you just glide back. remember to cancel your glide with B if he tries to PK thunder you and go on with your dodging/recovery from there.

use your up b below the stage and since you're a pit main this match shouldn't be played on yoshi's island. which means you have the option of recoverying from below -> other side of the stage. just make sure his pk thunder timing is off so he can't chase after you below the stage or atleast chase you fast enough to get you before you reach the other side. use arrows/reflectors to keep yourself safe before going under the stage.

this is one of those "if this happens do this" kind of thing so just play smart and you'll be fine =].

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I dont really have any problems fighting Lucas. A few things Lucas players will constantly try is to absorb your arrows. And with pit u can pull some serious mind games against Lucas players since u can entirely miss him in purpose or loop around and hit him after he drops his shield.

As for the pk thunder on the returns, as my friend once said, "A good offense is the best defense." With that in mind the best way to stop his pk thunder is to stop it at the source, Lucas himself. Best way to do that, arrows, if ur high u can take some time to aim a good shot that will hit him. If ur far out but not high one arrow per jump, less accurate but if ur good enough u can hit them easily. If Lucas is being hit, he cannot hit you. Problem solved.

As for his attacks having more range and priority, simple answer, arrow stuns, close range. He can shield if u wants but that will just leave him open to physical attacks. As for aerials the only thing u want to avoid is being directly under him. His down aerial will out prioritize pit, but everything else should be okay.

xarchangelzerox

Smash Rookie
I like the idea about shooting him while recovering. He's pretty good about absorbing them at every turn, but I will often shoot right over him a few times to mess with his head. I've pulled a couple of amazing loop-arounds to hit him hanging on the ledge, but I've never been able to get them to loop 360 degrees to where they come from behind me again.

His priority is incredibly frustrating. His up smash makes it almost impossible to get a glide attack in on him. What I've been working on the most is tricking him into using one of his high-lag attacks, and then dash attacking him during the lag, but if I could loop the arrows all the way around it would definitely frustrate him, which usually leads to him being rash and clumsy:chuckle:

Ryos4

Smash Lord
well you dont have to glide attack him, rarely do. As for his up smash, it has some huge start up lag, so as long as u get out of there when u see it coming u should be fine, or u can always do quick attacks to that still protect you form that, a quick arrow will surely stop his smash.

xarchangelzerox

Smash Rookie
kupo, those are pretty good. those arrows really fix the pk thunder gimping problem. I can't tell if it's you being more aggressive than me, or your lucas pall being less aggressive than mine, but you're definitely tossing him around a lot more than i toss around my pall. What's the best way to record matches? I mean I have a VCR and a tv tuner card but i don't know how well that will work out...

kupo15

Smash Hero
thanks, well the chances are that my Lucas is less aggressive because he doesn't own a wii and isn't using down B and down smash. I have been recording with a DVD player but I want to get away from that. I think I may want to use a capture card or something. I don't know what the best way to do it is. I would use a VCR but I don't know how to upload that to my computer...

pKNeM

Smash Cadet
Make sure to cancel your up-b if you see a thunder comming. However, it shouldn't be necessary to use up-b under most situations; pit has enough recovery without it. In terms of offense, keep in mind that those arrows are as good at gimping a recovering lucas as they are at saving a recovering pit, consider learning to use them to cancel the thunder. Also, keep track of your jumps..its often easy to play mind games with a lucas and tempt him into a premature up-smash, leaving him wide open to retaliation. In essence, while you have incredible recovery, only use the minimum needed for a given situation to preserve your options.

Mysteryfox1

Smash Ace
The Netherlands, Noord-Brabant, Aarle Rixtel
I have 4 lucas matches posted. Why don't you watch them for some pointers. Lucas isn't really a problem for me.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168600
hmm, I don't think that Lucas is very good he uses PK fire on the ground instead of short hop he plays to defensivly overall he didn't try very hard to edgeguard you I didn't saw a down b once and he didn't spike once (I only watched the first match btw)

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
yea as soon as teh lucas starts down b-ing your arrows the game changes completely into crazy mindgame madness
Amen to that. You'll start finding yourself shooting the arrow just straight up into the arrow to avoid feeding him like 8% life back. Looping is a good way to keep him on his toes... but only if you're sure you can react to Lucas' approach. The most annoying thing about Lucas too is that you can be so ahead of Lucas in terms of percentages, but if you really unluckily somehow get caught by his up-smash at like 60% or so, you might as well just say gg and leave.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yup, he isn't the best Lucas. I only had trouble with him because he was the first Lucas I ever played

xarchangelzerox

Smash Rookie
I'll have to start uploading some videos one way or another. A group of about six of us have been playing religiously since it came out, and after watching some matches here and there on these forums, I'm beginning to think that we're actually pretty good.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
where in texas? if you're near dallas, hit me up. my roomie and i are looking for people to brawl with.

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
Amen to that. You'll start finding yourself shooting the arrow just straight up into the arrow to avoid feeding him like 8% life back. Looping is a good way to keep him on his toes... but only if you're sure you can react to Lucas' approach. The most annoying thing about Lucas too is that you can be so ahead of Lucas in terms of percentages, but if you really unluckily somehow get caught by his up-smash at like 60% or so, you might as well just say gg and leave.
I whole-heartedly agree with your last bit. Some of his moves are way too overpowered. And he just seems to live forever.

xarchangelzerox

Smash Rookie
Actually, in the Fort Worth area, near Keller. I've got friends who go to school in Dallas, actually.

Lucas does seem to have overpowered moves, especially his up smash. I still misjudge how long it lasts sometimes, rushing in to hit him when I think the hitbox is gone, only to be hit by aftershock. And there are so many times when I think for sure I've killed him, but he floats back to the stage. Stupid fat kid.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hes no where near as dangrous and G&W that guy has strong smashes, hes pretty fast, and he has some dangerous combos that my friend has started to use.

xarchangelzerox

Smash Rookie
Yeah, my other friend actually used G&W for a few weeks. He has an identity crisis in brawl, and has used lucario, olimar, fox G&W, sonic, and now wolf, and has been a force to be reckoned with in all of them. He stopped using G&W because he won too much and it wasn't challenging enough for him (lol) but now he's working out all of the wolf tricks, and so that's kept him busy for a while

Top Bottom