• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transformation made easy, and the FW Switch.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I guess you could call this somewhat unconventional.

Note: Familiarize yourself with the 16-direction Farore's Wind. It is incredibly useful for mind-games and optimal recoveries.

1. Jump off the stage, as far and high as you can (preferably as far and high, but not necessary. This is just to avoid any projectile attacks that may be coming at you. As long as you're off the edge, you should be fine). Double jump if you're going from Sheik to Zelda. Jump once if it's Zelda to Sheik*. You can test it out, but this works for me.

2.At the peak of your jump, begin "transform".

3. By the time you have transformed, you should be level with, or slightly below the stage.

4. FW back to the stage, using one of the 16-direction FWs to land ON your opponent, who will likely be edge-guarding. This will almost instantaneously knock them off the edge, effectively making the two of you switch places. (They should be above 30-40% at least. The bigger the better. :p)

5. They will likely be shocked by this since you caught them off guard. During the time they are falling, immediately fall of the ledge, and d-air, f-air or u-air accordingly. I find it best to use d-air.

6. Recover and, if you want to transform back to Sheik, do it immediately while they are dying/respawning.

*It takes longer to change to Sheik than Zelda, so if you jump off the ledge as Zelda, you will be quite below the stage once you're Sheik. This is why you need to save your second jump for AFTER the transformation. You should then be able to easily Vanish back to the stage. It's likely you will reach the ledge before the actual "vanish" itself.

Also note, you can just jump off the edge of the stage as Zelda and the FW back into your opponent. The switch will still happen. You will need to space yourself so that FW-West, for example, will make you land about 1/2 a character to the west of the eastern edge or vice versa. This will increase the possible hitbox range. It is also possible to stop them from edge-hogging if you're close enough.

So, with a bit of practice, you'll be spiking *** in no time. The FW Switch is a useful technique. It can be blocked, true, so keep it as a surprise attack. Don't use it too often, or you will be punished.

Alternatively, to counter this issue, you can do one of two things, depending on your opponents stance.

If they are edge-guarding, you can sweetspot to the edge of the stage. It is possible to still attack them with FW when doing this, but you will not knock them off the ledge, they will just move back towards the center of the stage.

If they are edge-hogging, again, practice your 16-direction FW, and land closer to the center of the stage, or just far away enough so that if they try to attack, they can't hit you.

Anyway, that's pretty much it. Thanks for listening.

Iris

Smash Ace
I can't imagine this being difficult to punish, the lag on Farore's Wind gives ample time for being spiked, especially so close to the ledge. Besides, you have to assume a lot, such at the opponent automatically edgeguarding and staying there as soon as you begin transforming.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I understand where you're coming from, but you only really need to do this once or twice a match.

You're right about the horrible lagging, but that's why you can grab the ledge, or land on the stage, according to where they are. If they're not coming at you, all the better. The ball is totally in your court.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
There's a punish for every possible version of this:
If FW targets the stage, shield grab or smash attack it
If it targets the ledge, ledge hog with invincibility (anyone who can't ledgehog and use L for invincibility whenever they need it is pretty amateur)

So this could only be safe if you can trick your opponent in between whether you are doing the first version of this, or the second.

Now if their is any way to reach a start-location for FW that can warp both onto the stage or onto the ledge, than that's very viable and very useful. Is there?

Luthien

Smash Ace
Well, it won't work for me, but if it works for you, great. (My opponents assume that any time I FW, I plan on hitting them >.<).

Oh, and by the way, it doesn't actually take longer to change to Sheik than Zelda. It depends on... lots of crap. Find one of the three billion Sheik/Zelda threads and see.

TheFast

Smash Lord
best thing to do is Sheik to Zelda double jump learn the timing for the transformation and do it so right when Zelda comes out she lands (you'll get what im talking about if u try it) it works great then u kill them with Zelda and your back to sheik before they can get off the platform

Top Bottom