• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training your amiibo: Don’t waste your time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kornaki

Smash Cadet
Hearing you say that, I don't know what to think. But whenever they fight CPUs they tend to go back to being campy and running away.
When they fight against one computer they get campy and run away sometimes. When they're in a big group battle you can't run away. If that doesn't work amke it an 8 way melee on Final Destination or something.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
My experience with my Kirby amiibo, which is the only one I ever intend on using, is that it mimics my inputs at a given rate based on its level and the frequency it's seen it, regardless of what character I was using. So if I do fast-fall fair to grab repeatedly as Pikachu against the Kirby amiibo, Kirby will attempt to do this input even though it's pretty fruitless for Kirby almost all the time to go for a grab like that. That being said, you can train your Amiibo to input certain inputs more often than others, but not exactly when it should be inputted, basically the AI is pre-programmed at max level to read 'optimal range of use' and regardless of whether or not it's actually a feasible option, it just says go or don't for whatever it is. I thought this was fairly obvious, but I dunno. That being said, you can teach Luigi to dthrow fair, or Diddy to hoo-hah kinda sorta because if you do it a lot to them, they're going to up the frequency of those moves too.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I taught a Kirby how to Kirbycide, he also learned how to footstool because of this. Not sure if this is 100%.

LaunchStar

Smash Cadet
I would think that most of the actual amiibo data (like the AI and such), is stored on the WiiU itself. This is why people were able to obtain Mr. Game & Watch and Duck Hunt amiibo data even though they didn't have the actual figures themselves.

That 256-byte data is just the NFC code at the bottom of the figurine. By placing it on the WiiU gamepad, it triggers the WiiU to call up the stored AI for that figure, since each code is unique.

This is also probably why the 3DS version of Smash has to have an update, since memory for that version is already pushed to it's absolute limit.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I would think that most of the actual amiibo data (like the AI and such), is stored on the WiiU itself. This is why people were able to obtain Mr. Game & Watch and Duck Hunt amiibo data even though they didn't have the actual figures themselves.

That 256-byte data is just the NFC code at the bottom of the figurine. By placing it on the WiiU gamepad, it triggers the WiiU to call up the stored AI for that figure, since each code is unique.

This is also probably why the 3DS version of Smash has to have an update, since memory for that version is already pushed to it's absolute limit.
It isn't really. It uses a 2GB card, but it's only 1.7GB IIRC. The 3DS cards also come in 4GB and 8GB variations, though most games just end up as under 2GB.

Last edited:

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
It was intriguing To see a amiibo tournament when I was at APEX15, kinda wish I would have brought one of mine to just see how it would unfold

truecrisis

Smash Rookie
Amiibo's do learn, see this video where my Amiibo learns to run like me after I started doing this for the first time!

If this isn't confirmation for you then... I don't know what to say.

_gold_

Smash Master
I promised my little cousin I'd train my Samus amiibo so it could fight his amiibos. After that, I'll probably never touch the little action figures again.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't think this is right, there are a lot of behaviors that my Amiibo do because I specifically taught them to do it. They play a lot like I do, for the most part.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm not sure I believe everything it says on the OP. When I trained my Rosalina amiibo, she learned exactly how to use the Power Star correctly for better results. Doesn't always work but she knew what she was doing. I also taught her how to do her Dair for a one-hit K.O. at a good timing.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
They change the frequency of word choice in a conversation but they do not understand syntax, chronology, nor can they change the topic.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'd done some experimenting with this as well, it's easier to catch it when you don't give the amiibo any custom gear. I tried training him by using Link myself to see what he'll pick up from me, he definitely picked up some of my habits and techniques but the ultimate goal was to see if he could actually get good enough to beat me. Five or so weekends later after he reached level 50 he still can't beat me nor did he improve.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'd done some experimenting with this as well, it's easier to catch it when you don't give the amiibo any custom gear. I tried training him by using Link myself to see what he'll pick up from me, he definitely picked up some of my habits and techniques but the ultimate goal was to see if he could actually get good enough to beat me. Five or so weekends later after he reached level 50 he still can't beat me nor did he improve.
Keep trying and it eventually will, that or you're subconsciously getting better too. How're your tournament results?

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Keep trying and it eventually will, that or you're subconsciously getting better too. How're your tournament results?
I haven't played in any Smash 4 tournaments yet so I don't have any tourney results, I just play 1v1 For Glory all the time whenever I come back to the game which is every weekend since the game's release.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
Either or. point is, are you doing better or worse over all? The amiibo could be improving, just not as much as you are.

Kornaki

Smash Cadet
I'll give the same advice I always give. Put it in a free for all with other level 9 CPUs (or amiibo) for an hour, then spend an hour playing 1v1 matches (use several characters). You should notice it changes its attack pattern in a nontrivial way, and probably for the better by the end of it. If you keep playing it in the same situation, it will find moves that are 'good enough' and get stuck doing them. You need to expose the amiibo to other stimuli.

Xharos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xharos
3DS FC
0404-6432-5019
I trained my Fox amiibo to do downthrow -> jump -> fair -> jump in mid air -> uair. And he does it. So, yeah, they do learn.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, I'm not gonna waste my time training my amiibo figurines. I'll just collect them and keep them in mint condition. :awesome:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I've been searchin for how much memory these little statues hold. 256 bytes eh? I thought the whole reason they made the figures was because the amount of memory needed to train the ai would be too huge to store on the console. But alas it truly was a money-grab. How did you come across the amount of memory the figures hold?

Sadly its kind of hard to believe ya without much proof or any sources to backup your claims. Although what you say does sound about right.

Last edited:

Moonslash

Smash Rookie
NNID
AmonExE
I haven't even used my amiibo, scared i'll lose it if I opened it lol!

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
This might've been said before but I didn't read most of this thread so
some guy taught his Fox amiibo a basic combo for Fox and put it in a tournament and I believe the Fox placed fourth or so in losers
Pretty sure that proves they can learn.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I dunno people, I taught Diddy how to Hoo-Hah. Are you saying Hoo-Hah was programmed in to his amiibo AI? :4diddy:

Arhat

Smash Rookie
So, I've discovered that you can influence your amiibo's behavior, in much the same way it will influence yours. This is best explained with a projectile, but the principle carries over to something like a rapid jab lock. Ok, when your amiibo begins to run to the other side of the stage to use its projectile move, such as diddy with his peanut popgun, you should begin to shut it down with the same move, until he learns to capitalize on this maneuver in a more precise way. The amiibo will begin to try something else in its arsenal to complete the task--the most fundamental one is to survive--as for a rapid jab, as you begin to outmaneuver the amiibo spamming this move, it too will learn to do the same, and should you capitalize on that mechanic, it too will learn to do the same should you fall into the same situation. They will even use the attack the has the earliest hitbox and/or use smashes that deal the most damage (when they can). This is why they learn to do a smash Attack when you fast fall but never seem to do enough air attacks. I am redirecting anyone who comes to this post to my in-depth Amiibo training guide, so that you understand the underlying philosophy behind how that works, as you train. Another example is that you DO INDEED have to use the mechanic in order for them to learn this, as in their horizontal recovery, ledge attacks and the like, should you pressure them in another way and never let them use the ledge Attack, they never will. But like a guide or two has stated, they do NOT copy you, but instead you "carve" or "graft" their playstyle, which is why this smashboards post is disheartening and suspicious. My guide: http://smashboards.com/guides/comprehensive-amiibo-training-table.541/

Last edited:

Mewtwonite96

Smash Rookie
Why, then, when I spammed my Dark Pit amiibo with arrows, did it start spamming me back when I first fought it??? And it also spammed every other character it fought after that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom