• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training mode is dumb

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
So I'm testing around in training mode because I'm bored and all alone at home... and to get to the point the stupid help bar says that dthrow to aerial UpB actually is a 2 hit combo when I time it right. Does anyone know if that consecutive hits thing is actually reliable? It worked on wolf and falco lvl 9 computers at <30% ish in a regular match, but I have no way of knowing if it is DIable or anything unless I have someone to test with.

Any thoughts?

Is the training mode help giving me false hope?

Wat?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
It's DIable, and air dodgeable. Although I don't really try a Dthrow -> UpB, I try Dthrow -> Dair Spike and it usually misses if the opponent DIs and Airdodges correctly.

If it does land at lower percents, it won't kill either way, since Aerial Shoryukens are weaker than grounded ones iirc.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lol LK. The moment l saw the title, l was gonna say my quickest answer" N00B DON'T MAKE THESE KINDS OF THREADS, GO Q/A N00BCAKE, FUXXKING COMMON SENSE DTHROW UPB IS FAIL"

but yes Alias pretty much covered it.. you have much better options than doing a aerial upb... depending on char/%s and what not... You could try charging fingerbang and do another one uncharged to mindgame them it works :D

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I just wish training mode was less ********. If it would actually tell us true combos that would be great, but eh. I'm just bored and figured I would spark some discussion regardless of how stupid the idea was. =/

I did find something cool out though. You can wavebounce Luigi's fireballs if you Bstick, its just fricking hard because to fireball with the Cstick you have to tilt it at a stupid angle and be really sensitive. It looks epic though.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I did find something cool out though. You can wavebounce Luigi's fireballs if you Bstick, its just fricking hard because to fireball with the Cstick you have to tilt it at a stupid angle and be really sensitive. It looks epic though.
You can do it without b sticking, and it's still freakin hard =D

I do it with yoshi but still mess it up a lot. By wavebounce you mean jump to the right - left - release - B - right, do you ? You could just jump backward and press B then forward, and you'll have the same effect ; just that it's a little more predictable.

<3 wavebounce

yoshq

Smash Master
ive done dthrow upb like 4 times. you just have to do it vs a heavy character that always air dodges because they cant do anything better. either that or the 1st time you dthrow just do an air move. which is a true combo unless they air dodge, because the jump isn't fast enough. this is part of the reason i love luigi... mindgame throws

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
ive done dthrow upb like 4 times. you just have to do it vs a heavy character that always air dodges because they cant do anything better. either that or the 1st time you dthrow just do an air move. which is a true combo unless they air dodge, because the jump isn't fast enough. this is part of the reason i love luigi... mindgame throws
Can't you just boil it all down and say anything is a true combo unless they airdodge? That's like saying anyone is immortal unless they die. @_@. It's gonna happen.

B!squick

Smash Master
i mean to say they can't jump, or you'll hit them. and if they air dodge you can do something else as long as you read the di
I like NAir for this. It's perfect for dodges. I'm actually playing around with Bowser's NAir to see if I can get some use out of it. It ACs like his FAir and even ACs up on platforms, has a long lasting hit box...

yoshq

Smash Master
I like NAir for this. It's perfect for dodges. I'm actually playing around with Bowser's NAir to see if I can get some use out of it. It ACs like his FAir and even ACs up on platforms, has a long lasting hit box...
yeah if you follow their di you can do like an uair through their air dodge then an nair at the end of it before they hit the ground.

Magus420

Smash Master
The combo counter goes off of the normal hitstun which increases with the knockback of the move and is the point you can jump/use B moves/etc. It doesn't take into consideration that on any knockdown knockbacks where you go into a tumble you are always able to airdodge after frame 13 and use an A attack after frame 25 to cancel the hitstun, regardless of how powerful the knockback was.

D-throw causes tumble on any character even from 0% because it has 75 BKB (base knockback) and is above the tumble threshold
. If his throw were a little weaker and had less BKB he would actually have a legit chaingrab/**** combos because they would not be allowed to DI it or airdodge/attack really early out of it. This is why the small amount of actual combos that do exist in the game are generally limited to things with really weak knockback that don't cause them to tumble and doesn't allow them to cancel hitstun early.

Whether the knockback caused tumble and sent a moderate distance to cause 30 frames of normal hitstun, or sent you rocketing off the screen with a Falcon Pawnch at 9002% and would have stunned you for like 5 minutes normally (if a stage were big enough for you to not die well before then), you'd still be able to airdodge or attack during the knockback at those same times.

That's why something like stomp->knee will register as a combo for Falcon yet they have time to start and nearly complete an entire airdodge before the knee hits. In the case of d-throw->up-B registering as a combo, if they for some reason were to not cancel the hitstun by using an attack or airdodge, they would have been hit by the up-B during the normal/non-canceled hitstun.

It also registers weird things like trips to falcon punches as combos. Probably has to do with not going into certain animations like standing or freefalling after being hit that would cause the counter to reset.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The one thing you can know about the training mode counter. Your opponent can't spam special attacks or jumps to break out. Most importantly since they can't jump out to escape, that helps you predict where you can add consecutive hits.

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239
I don't even use help when I'm in training mode. I just use training mode when I learn new AT's or when I need a to refresh myself with a character. I only find the damage counter useful for when I want to find out what follow up moves rack up the most damage.

Top Bottom