• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trainer Tussle II (PT WiFi Tourney, 6/22, 6:30 PM EST)...PRIZE FOR 1st!!

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Hmm. We're starting to get a few more conflicting availabilities than I imagined.

For now, it's still too early to say the exact time, although we may need to run the tournament over the course of the week itself and have certain matches take place at certain times.

By the way, I can be a fairly magnanimous guy from time to time, and to drive up the incentive for participating and doing your best, a thought just struck me. I'm in the process of selling most of my games right now, minus a few key ones like Brawl, and I wouldn't mind making one of them the prize for the winner of this event. Totally free of charge (but not free of skill).

EDIT: Actually, I think it'd be cool if I offered up a selection of available games, a couple where you can pick only one, and some where you can pick two. They're used, but I guarantee great disc/box/manual quality, and it's free if you win, anyways.
I cannot, in good conscience, turn down free stuff.

And maybe I'll buy stuff not taken, whether I win or lose, mattering what game it is.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Well, I updated with the list of stuff that will be available to win, and there's a number of items I won't give away but that I am selling. Obviously you can see that I've put up some good stuff for the winners, but other good stuff at good prices can be had for those just looking for a deal. What I do is I basically take a look at the rapeage GameStop is doing on a given item, and then I bring the prices down sensibly based on that, sometimes more than sensibly.

It did me well in my gaming club, people seemed to be happy with the prices and what they were getting, though I know I definitely took a $5 hit here and there in the interest of good will.

TheLake

Smash Master
Yay to norfair!

Its the greatest counterpick ever people!

But thats all im gonna say about that...it doesnt matter to me either way. O_o Free stuff?! SWEET!

Im on eastern time (PA more specific) and i have school tuesdays and thursdays from 10:30 am to 3 pm.....im typically free otherwise (unless somthing comes up)

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Ooh, a Lucario main? I've been learning how awesome he is recently. We'll have to have a ditto with him sometime (that'll be an interesting ditto).

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Yay to norfair!

Its the greatest counterpick ever people!
m 10:30 am to 3 pm.....im typically free otherwise (unless somthing comes up)
Norfair's awesome. :D Great music and perfect height for Vine Whip! :D

Ooh, a Lucario main? I've been learning how awesome he is recently. We'll have to have a ditto with him sometime (that'll be an interesting ditto).
Why is there a "we" in that post? O_o

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
"You and I," I suppose?

I mean, I figured it'd be cool if we had a Wi-Fi match given that you apparently like playing PT and Lucario, as do I, and that it would be a great opportunity to see another Lucario in action (that I didn't have to seek out at the Luc board).

Unless, of course, your avatar and your icon have nothing to do with a preferred character of yours. Which happens...

So yeah. "We." o_o;

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
"You and I," I suppose?

I mean, I figured it'd be cool if we had a Wi-Fi match given that you apparently like playing PT and Lucario, as do I, and that it would be a great opportunity to see another Lucario in action (that I didn't have to seek out at the Luc board).

Unless, of course, your avatar and your icon have nothing to do with a preferred character of yours. Which happens...

So yeah. "We." o_o;
Ah. For a second I thought this was a case of schizophrenia. Sorry about that. And yeah, I guess it would be fine. >.>

Blade42

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to join. I have class til 4:30pm everyday(except sat. and sun.) but I will be availible around 5:30pm EST everyday.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
im in -5 gmt

and well there is no love for the tournie to take place on sunday 22? :(

it seems to be a good day for me !!

and about the free stuff....EXCELLENT!! its a nice incentive!!!

keep the good work!

ßebop

Smash Rookie
"sorry guys, i'm gonna have to sit this one out"
i just realized i'm not available for the weekend....if there's a way around to that, like i dunno...playing on the week then i'd happily stick to the tourney...

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I should be available on those day, i wouldnt mind trying out my PT against other PT players. Hopefully by then i can get some sort of strategy for ivysaur that doesnt just suck. lol.

Either way it will be a good learning experience for PT.

Reinhart_x

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, what time are you thinking about starting this tourney...any week day after six or anytime in the afternoon on the weekend should be good for me. I believe I have a very good PT, but I would rather you not take my word for it and "FIGHT ME!" instead. :D Take it easy.

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
Hey there, I'd like to toss myself into this tournament as well.

I'm available roughly 5:15 - 11:00PM PST Mon-Fri
Saturday is all day
Sunday after 12:00 PM

Only available 6/21 - 6/24 as I am leaving for a trip on the 25th. If the tournament doesn't click with my times no sweat.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
pictochat and jungle japes shouldn't be counterpick...

regardless i'm in for this. should be available any day except that 27th

TheLake

Smash Master
Why cant they be counter picks? Japes was in melee and pitochat isnt THAT spontaneous (Its leauges better than flatzone 2). Im leaving for this weekend but I guess I can take brawl with me...

Fearmy

Smash Ace
ok i just wanted to inform you that on 21st, I won't be avaliable due to my brother's graduation party. on the 24th, i won't be avaliable at 7:00- 8:30pm (in central time, 8:00-9:30pm in Eastern Time) on the 25th i won't be avaliable at 4:00 PM (5:00pm Eastern Time) and on the 26th i won't be avaliable at 7:00- 8:30pm ( 8:00-9:30pm)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
japes is different now because as soon as you touch the water, you start to swim and it delays your escape. more often than not, you'll die once you get in the river, even at ridiculously low percents. this is different from melee, where you could jump immediately and not travel very far at all.

pictochat just has some incredibly annoying drawings, such as the vertical spikes from the ground up, the rockets, the spiked walls on the sides. it's not as bad as flat zone 2, i agree, but it's still not very good for fighting.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
japes is different now because as soon as you touch the water, you start to swim and it delays your escape. more often than not, you'll die once you get in the river, even at ridiculously low percents. this is different from melee, where you could jump immediately and not travel very far at all.

pictochat just has some incredibly annoying drawings, such as the vertical spikes from the ground up, the rockets, the spiked walls on the sides. it's not as bad as flat zone 2, i agree, but it's still not very good for fighting.
That is why you fight to control the right side of Jungle Japes. It was the same way in Melee, and it was then and still is a good counterpick stage.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Alright, so the date and time have been decided. I think I managed to get all but two people of those who had specific availabilities...anywho, the date is Sunday, June 22nd, and we're set to begin at 6:30 PM EST (-5 GMT). Obviously, sign-ups will be open till Sunday, but at that point I may have work 'till 6 PM, so I might not be able to add anyone else to the Tio bracket that I'll have ready in advance. There's still time for more debate on the stage lists...currently, Norfair, PictoChat, and Jungle Japes are being questioned.

As for the stages, Japes does suck for Ivy...and Charizard, if you've ever noticed. He takes so long getting out of the water, and his jumps and up+B just don't seem to be enough once you're past that last platform. Japes also has a ridiculously high ceiling, but that's not a reason to ban it, it's just annoying. I've no problems getting rid of it...these days, I'm not TOO concerned about having that many stages available, as long as there's more than the neutral five. Same goes for PictoChat.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
As far as how matches will run when I'm in a match, what I'll try to do is setup as many matches ahead of me as possible, and then when it's my turn things will pause for only a brief period. As fewer and fewer matches need to be played, the pace at which they will be called will slow down (if I'm still in the running). Hopefully with the benefit of having an unlimited number of stations (one for every match always) this will run quickly.

You may be wondering why you guys can't just moderate the bracket yourselves...well, you can, but with double-elim it's slightly more complicated so you'd need to make sure you know what's going on. It would probably be a good idea to also download tournament bracket software to assist you. I'm using something called Tio since that's what the folks I played with used.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
During the tournament we'll be using a chat room.

So when you say "probably," is that more towards the certain side or closer to a "maybe?" Your last availability said you couldn't make it, but I'd be happy to add you if you're thinking you'll be able to show.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
My question was more in the realm of "which chat room will we be using?" :/

And yeah, I'll almost definitely be available on Sunday afternoon, and if not I'll let you know on Saturday. The times I listed were the most convenient, but Sunday afternoon should be alright.

How long should this tournament last, anyway? I need to know if it will interfere with any plans that may arise for Sunday night.

EDIT: As a side note, I've done all I can to optimize my wireless connection, and I'll be testing it out in the coming days. If I don't find it suitable for me to participate, I'll also let you know on Saturday.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
During the tournament we'll be using a chat room.

So when you say "probably," is that more towards the certain side or closer to a "maybe?" Your last availability said you couldn't make it, but I'd be happy to add you if you're thinking you'll be able to show.
What kind of chatroom? AIM? ICQ?

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I'd have to suggest something along the lines of Xat. It's free, you don't need to download anything (Browser-based), and it can be used more than once. I think IRC would be suitable, as well.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I am a confirmed entrant. Good to know it xD
Yes, Sunday will be perfect, I'm in.

BTW, I have access to a DVD recorder, I'll try to record my matches. I could record some others if you want (start the game, suicide myself, then I just watch the rest of the match), but with three people lag IS an issue. Just to let you know.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Why don't we give it a shot sometime tonight, if you're free? Or Saturday...we could see how bad the three-player lag is ahead of time, and the recording shouldn't affect it, since the extra lag from will only show up on your end.

With one immediately KOed, it should drop to normal 1v1 levels, right? Anyways, what do you think? We'll need another person for the trial, obviously. It'd be an immensely useful way of cataloging the tournament in the semifinal and final rounds

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
oy i don't think i can make it. 5:30 central i'll be at a meeting for about 30 minutes to an hour. sorry guys.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
2 questions:

1. What chat room?

2. What time does the tournament start pacific time? (I suck at timezones. T_T)

Onxy

Smash Lord
Hehe, still wish I coulda' caught that Cpt. Falcon incident.

Top Bottom