• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toy-Con Robot Levels the Playing Field! (Nintendo Labo)

How would you like to see Toy-Con Robot handled in regards to a Labo newcomer?

• Playable Toy-Con Robot that also uses other Labo

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Playable Toy-Con Robot that doesn't use other Labo

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Some other playable Labo character with Toy-Con Robot as a Final Smash

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Anyone feel as if the Toy-Con Robot still has a shot for Ultimate?
Not in the base game, but a Labo character could make it in as DLC. I think it's pretty unlikely but if Nintendo plans to continue support for Labo and wants to boost its long term sales, a Smash character is a safe bet. However, in the end we'll probably get an interesting DLC stage without a character. Like if they had the stage constantly morph to different Toy-Con minigames like Pictochat or WarioWare Inc it'd represent Labo well enough.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the Toy Con Robot would be sooooooo cool, and a perfect WTF character. I support it!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Now that the Vehicle Pack is out do people here think the 'people' in that would take over as Labo rep and Final Smash to become the Robot for an attack?

I also only just now realised that with how long Miyamoto has been working on 'Project Giant Robot' there could actually be leeway for Toy-Con Robot to have been on Sakurai's radar for much longer than just the Labo iteration.

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Now that the Vehicle Pack is out do people here think the 'people' in that would take over as Labo rep and Final Smash to become the Robot for an attack?

I also only just now realised that with how long Miyamoto has been working on 'Project Giant Robot' there could actually be leeway for Toy-Con Robot to have been on Sakurai's radar for much longer than just the Labo iteration.
I doubt it, I feel like the Labo Robot is the most recognizable Toy-Con, and essentially the icon of Labo as a whole.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd personally like two Labo reps. Maybe not in Smash Ultimate's starting roster, and maybe not even in its post-release roster.

But Labo definitely has a future, and as a first-party EPD-developed franchise, it can stand to have more than just one character.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If Labo does make it into Smash Bros as DLC, what do you guys think of it being a recreation of the Labo Robot made of cardboard?

As for the moveset, now that I think about it, I think it should encompass what Labo is about: creativity. Maybe take some notes from the Toy-Con Garage in its moveset in addition to the actual Toy-Cons themselves as part of his attacks (Like the camera, the motorbike handles and the fishing rod (Which could work differently from Isabelle's)). The Garage Nodes could change the next move Labobot uses based on what are used. Like a node that makes the camera explode when it flashes, or a node that makes the fishing rod have a windbox on catching an opponent before freezing them on throwing.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Alright, guys, got a moveset. Open for critique here if anyone has any:

Playstyle: Labobot is a technical character who likes tricking his opponents when using his Garage Nodes to modify his attacks. While he lacks in range and damage with physical attacks, he makes up for with his tricky and unpredictable effects. His projectiles and recovery add to his power as well. Despite being made out of cardboard, he’s actually slightly heavy, making him hard to launch as well. However, he has his share of flaws: his Nodes don’t last forever, and unlike fellow robots Mega Man and R.O.B., Labobot’s movement is rigid, making some of his moves last a while, leaving him in the open.

Jab: A one-two punch. Doesn’t have much range, but can be looped around, similarly to Wario’s.

F-tilt: An inward swing of both fists.

U-tilt: A downward fist. Can hit above him.

D-tilt: Labobot stomps on the ground in front of him. Can be mashed repeatedly to seemingly ‘walk’ forward in a jagged manner. But this brings up a pattern of movement that the opponent can take advantage of.

Dash Attack: Labobot transforms into its tank form and rams anyone in front of him. As a bonus, the player can mash A to fire the cannons of the tank.

N-air: Labobot creates a burst of energy that launches everyone around him.

F-, D-, B- and U-air: Labobot transforms into his plane form and flies in the direction of the joystick. This can be angled, making it useful for recovery, but it doesn’t go as far as, say, Meta Knight’s Drill Rush or Ridley's Up-B. As a bonus, the player can mash A to fire the guns on the plane.

Grab: A fishing rod. Can be used as a tether, but has much less range, unlike Isabelle’s.

Pummel: Labobot tightens the strings around the character.

F-throw: Labobot revs a motorbike handle and releases it, ramming it into the opponent. Continues for a short distance after.

D-throw: Labobot jumps up and hurtles down with the drill kick. Deals multiple hits. The Drill node is inaccessible for this move.

B-throw: Labobot rams the RC Car into the opponent’s back.

U-throw: Labobot flicks the fishing rod and throws it upwards.

Side Smash: Labobot takes out a camera and readies a snapshot. On release, the camera will flash, making anyone within it dizzy. Any nodes can replace the dizzy effect.

Up Smash: Labobot leans backwards and throws a Mach Punch upwards.

Down Smash: Labobot lifts a house and drops it onto the ground. The very center of the house is a sweet spot that can trap the opponent inside said house, leaving them open to the next attack. If no one is caught in this sweet spot, they’ll simply take damage and the house will disappear.

Neutral B: Garage Nodes: A multi-stage special, similar to Villager’s tree. On pressing the button, a menu of 4 types of ‘seed nodes’ will appear, similarly to what happens when you hold B to reveal the Monado Arts Wheel for Shulk:
  • Ground Node: This node affects the Jab, tilts, dash attack and smash attacks.
  • Air Node: This node affects his aerial attacks.
  • Grab Node: This node affects his grab and throws.
  • Special Node: This node affects all specials except for Neutral B.
When at least one of them is built, Labobot can use Neutral B in one of those four Nodes (Which are about 1.5 Bowsers wide and tall) to add additional nodes to modify a specific move. These nodes will be up for selection similarly to when you build the first node. These modifications are:
  • Stun: Stuns the opponent on hit.
  • Freeze: Freezes the opponent on hit.
  • Explode: On hit, explodes. This is the riskiest node, as it can also damage Labobot.
  • Break: Gives the attack shield-breaking properties.
  • Fly: Give the attack more knockback.
  • Push: Gives the attack a windbox.
  • Sink: Buries on hit.
  • Drill: Makes the attack hit multiple times.
This gives the opportunity for attacks to be modified on the fly, but no node lasts forever. 30 seconds after its creation, a node will disappear. After being hit or KO’d, all nodes will disappear. An example for a Node string is: Grab -> Push -> Throws -> Freeze. Another example: Jabs -> Stun -> Smashes -> Explode. A third: Tilts -> Sink.

Side B: Special Beam: Labobot will fire a large ball of plasma that deals multiple hits. The Drill node is inaccessible, and the attack loses its multihit properties in favor of any other used node. Goes as far as Samus’ Charge Shot.

Up B: Jump Boost: Labobot will use his rocket thrusters to burst upwards, damaging anyone above him.

Down B: Motorbike: Labobot revs a motorbike handle, similarly to Sonic’s Down B. But like Inkling’s Final Smash to Samus’, Labobot can act freely after releasing the move, making it a good pressure tool.

Final Smash: Giant Mode: Labobot strikes a pose and grows giant before stomping down. Any opponents caught will be part of a cinematic: they will first smash into a building, which the Labobot will walk right through, sending them into a spiked UFO that causes them to hurtle towards another building, which Labobot crushes with a downward fist. As the opponent(s) bounce off the ground and hurtle upwards, Labobot will reel back and deliver a final punch that sends them flying before returning back to normal size.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Alright, guys, got a moveset. Open for critique here if anyone has any:

Playstyle: Labobot is a technical character who likes tricking his opponents when using his Garage Nodes to modify his attacks. While he lacks in range and damage with physical attacks, he makes up for with his tricky and unpredictable effects. His projectiles and recovery add to his power as well. Despite being made out of cardboard, he’s actually slightly heavy, making him hard to launch as well. However, he has his share of flaws: his Nodes don’t last forever, and unlike fellow robots Mega Man and R.O.B., Labobot’s movement is rigid, making some of his moves last a while, leaving him in the open.

Jab: A one-two punch. Doesn’t have much range, but can be looped around, similarly to Wario’s.

F-tilt: An inward swing of both fists.

U-tilt: A downward fist. Can hit above him.

D-tilt: Labobot stomps on the ground in front of him. Can be mashed repeatedly to seemingly ‘walk’ forward in a jagged manner. But this brings up a pattern of movement that the opponent can take advantage of.

Dash Attack: Labobot transforms into its tank form and rams anyone in front of him. As a bonus, the player can mash A to fire the cannons of the tank.

N-air: Labobot creates a burst of energy that launches everyone around him.

F-, D-, B- and U-air: Labobot transforms into his plane form and flies in the direction of the joystick. This can be angled, making it useful for recovery, but it doesn’t go as far as, say, Meta Knight’s Drill Rush or Ridley's Up-B. As a bonus, the player can mash A to fire the guns on the plane.

Grab: A fishing rod. Can be used as a tether, but has much less range, unlike Isabelle’s.

Pummel: Labobot tightens the strings around the character.

F-throw: Labobot revs a motorbike handle and releases it, ramming it into the opponent. Continues for a short distance after.

D-throw: Labobot jumps up and hurtles down with the drill kick. Deals multiple hits. The Drill node is inaccessible for this move.

B-throw: Labobot rams the RC Car into the opponent’s back.

U-throw: Labobot flicks the fishing rod and throws it upwards.

Side Smash: Labobot takes out a camera and readies a snapshot. On release, the camera will flash, making anyone within it dizzy. Any nodes can replace the dizzy effect.

Up Smash: Labobot leans backwards and throws a Mach Punch upwards.

Down Smash: Labobot lifts a house and drops it onto the ground. The very center of the house is a sweet spot that can trap the opponent inside said house, leaving them open to the next attack. If no one is caught in this sweet spot, they’ll simply take damage and the house will disappear.

Neutral B: Garage Nodes: A multi-stage special, similar to Villager’s tree. On pressing the button, a menu of 4 types of ‘seed nodes’ will appear, similarly to what happens when you hold B to reveal the Monado Arts Wheel for Shulk:
  • Ground Node: This node affects the Jab, tilts, dash attack and smash attacks.
  • Air Node: This node affects his aerial attacks.
  • Grab Node: This node affects his grab and throws.
  • Special Node: This node affects all specials except for Neutral B.
When at least one of them is built, Labobot can use Neutral B in one of those four Nodes (Which are about 1.5 Bowsers wide and tall) to add additional nodes to modify a specific move. These nodes will be up for selection similarly to when you build the first node. These modifications are:
  • Stun: Stuns the opponent on hit.
  • Freeze: Freezes the opponent on hit.
  • Explode: On hit, explodes. This is the riskiest node, as it can also damage Labobot.
  • Break: Gives the attack shield-breaking properties.
  • Fly: Give the attack more knockback.
  • Push: Gives the attack a windbox.
  • Sink: Buries on hit.
  • Drill: Makes the attack hit multiple times.
This gives the opportunity for attacks to be modified on the fly, but no node lasts forever. 30 seconds after its creation, a node will disappear. After being hit or KO’d, all nodes will disappear. An example for a Node string is: Grab -> Push -> Throws -> Freeze. Another example: Jabs -> Stun -> Smashes -> Explode. A third: Tilts -> Sink.

Side B: Special Beam: Labobot will fire a large ball of plasma that deals multiple hits. The Drill node is inaccessible, and the attack loses its multihit properties in favor of any other used node. Goes as far as Samus’ Charge Shot.

Up B: Jump Boost: Labobot will use his rocket thrusters to burst upwards, damaging anyone above him.

Down B: Motorbike: Labobot revs a motorbike handle, similarly to Sonic’s Down B. But like Inkling’s Final Smash to Samus’, Labobot can act freely after releasing the move, making it a good pressure tool.

Final Smash: Giant Mode: Labobot strikes a pose and grows giant before stomping down. Any opponents caught will be part of a cinematic: they will first smash into a building, which the Labobot will walk right through, sending them into a spiked UFO that causes them to hurtle towards another building, which Labobot crushes with a downward fist. As the opponent(s) bounce off the ground and hurtle upwards, Labobot will reel back and deliver a final punch that sends them flying before returning back to normal size.
This moveset is amazing! You really captured the Labobot well with these attacks!

Say, I have a question for everyone here: How big do you all think Labobot would be? Personally, I see it being as big as Bowser, but light as Mr. Game & Watch (due being partially made of cardboard and all...)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This moveset is amazing! You really captured the Labobot well with these attacks!

Say, I have a question for everyone here: How big do you all think Labobot would be? Personally, I see it being as big as Bowser, but light as Mr. Game & Watch (due being partially made of cardboard and all...)
Me personally? I’d say between Bowser and Ike, and I agree with you about the weight. :)

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It may not be the Labo Bot we wanted, but that Labo Brawler Mii costume looked great, and I loved the trailer with the giant Mach suit brawler copying the Labo one.

simon_thekillerewok

Smash Rookie
I support both the Labo Robot and Harry from Teleroboxer, but to distinguish the two and to keep Labo unique and emphasizing creativity I think it should basically act as a cardboard Transformer.
The character should look something like this:

But the special moves should be cool cardboard transform animations, a little like Kirby's down-b, or G&W or Pac-Man. I'm visualizing a transform into the piano as the down-b, up-b or grab as a fishing rod transform, side-b as a transform into a cardboard version of either the car/plane/sub, and neutral-b either the blaster or the wind pedal.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I support both the Labo Robot and Harry from Teleroboxer, but to distinguish the two and to keep Labo unique and emphasizing creativity I think it should basically act as a cardboard Transformer.

But the special moves should be cool cardboard transform animations, a little like Kirby's down-b, or G&W or Pac-Man. I'm visualizing a transform into the piano as the down-b, up-b or grab as a fishing rod transform, side-b as a transform into a cardboard version of either the car/plane/sub, and neutral-b either the blaster or the wind pedal.
That would be a good way of representing the entire LABO line while also keeping things unique.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Wow, this is pretty creative! And you're right. The transformation gimmick would help the Labobot distinguish itself from Harry (and R.O.B.) rather well.

Top Bottom