• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toy-Con Robot Levels the Playing Field! (Nintendo Labo)

How would you like to see Toy-Con Robot handled in regards to a Labo newcomer?

• Playable Toy-Con Robot that also uses other Labo

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Playable Toy-Con Robot that doesn't use other Labo

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Some other playable Labo character with Toy-Con Robot as a Final Smash

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Who is Toy-Con Robot? What is Nintendo Labo?

Nintendo Labo is a new way to play games by building your own cardboard creations (Toy-Con) to use as an interactive controller to play with the Nintendo Labo software. The Toy-Con Robot is the star of the Nintendo Labo Robot Kit. It is controlled by the player's own movements.

Why Toy-Con Robot?

Toy-Con Robot represents Nintendo's history of innovation regarding how games are played, specifically by pioneering motion controls with the Wii, and now with Nintendo Labo. Besides representing Nintendo's hardware history, Toy-Con Robot is a kid's dream come true. With interactive controls only made possible by Nintendo Labo, all the kids who wanted to fight as a giant robot finally have a game for them. And we all know Sakurai loves his surprises.

What would its moveset be like?

Toy-Con Robot sports high moveset potential. As a stocky robot, Toy-Con Robot can crush its surroundings with brute strength, fly, turn into a tank, and shoot laser beams. The robot also has a few more moves up its arsenal, like the Charge Punch which turns its fist into a projectile, or the Drill Kick, a spinning dive kick. It can grow super large, entering Gigantic Mode for a final smash. The robot could even pull from the Variety Kit for various attacks or specials. It would make for a unique fighter, given its mechanical movements, heavyweight status, and variety of special attacks.

Roster Icon:

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sign me the **** up.

Sure it may to too late, but a playable robot would be awesome.

D

Deleted member

Sign me the **** up.

Sure it may to too late, but a playable robot would be awesome.
I mean, technically we have ROB for a toy robot character but this guy is a lot of fun + is a traditional 'giant fighting robot', which ROB really isn't.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I mean, technically we have ROB for a toy robot character but this guy is a lot of fun + is a traditional 'giant fighting robot', which ROB really isn't.
That alone makes it better.

And it's a hell lot more relevant from Teleroboxer's Harry. Not that anything from the Virtual Boy was well liked.

slambros

Smash Ace
I really like the design of this robot. It would be a different choice for sure, but it'd be well-warranted for sure.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Glad someone else thought this was a good idea, was starting to think I was crazy. An alt skin where it’s just a dude with cardboard boxes is a must.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
This would be such a Nintendo move, I'm so down for it. Specials involving other Labo?

Maybe it could be a person wearing it, and every time they use a move that body part turns into the robot, that's make it easier for them to use other Labo in that case. Though it'd be weird to have a character that was literally just human from the real world or something.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I can definitely see this being the new surprise character

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Not so big surprise, compared to R.O.B. Mr. Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt Duo.
But I firmly support it,
In the worst possible scenario he would still make a good clone character for Donkey Kong (No Funky Kong, please! Let it be just an alt for Donkey Kong!).

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This would be such a Nintendo move, I'm so down for it. Specials involving other Labo?
I like this idea. Maybe the side smash could be a camera that has flash and can stun opponents similarly to Mewtwo's Disable or what happens when you shield break. It could also have a fishing rod tether, a side tilt that moves to the side using the motorbike handlebar and a move that involves trapping opponents inside a house?

D

Deleted member

Maybe it could be a person wearing it, and every time they use a move that body part turns into the robot, that's make it easier for them to use other Labo in that case. Though it'd be weird to have a character that was literally just human from the real world or something.
If the robot was going to use things from the Variety Kit then I would think Toy-Con Robot itself would be the one holding/manipulating the other Labo, depending on what is used. Like for a grab it could use the fishing rod Labo, but it would be holding the cardboard configuration instead of a virtual representation. It wouldn't really work for something like a boost from the racing game though, since it would probably be in tank form.

Gonna add your idea to the OP, thanks for the contribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I decided to make a roster icon for anyone who's interested. It's also in the OP.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I support, the idea seems funny enough.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
The LABO robot is a great choice but I don't know how likely he is. LABO was announced relatively recently, probably after the Smash 5 roster was finalized. Sure Team Smash may have learned about it beforehand, but Nintendo may not even have presented it to them as a possible character, because it's not really an obvious choice (much like WiiFit Trainer). It's the kind of thing that only someone like Sakurai would think of, and I don't know how involved he is with this game's roster.

Of course, he could always be included as DLC, but he's not the kind of character that gets added as DLC. He's not a fan favorite, and he doesn't have a loyal fan following (he's barely a character).

So I don't know. I hope he makes it, buuut I don't know.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I didn't think I wanted a Labo character, but I saw this on twitter and now I kind of want the little guy in Smash. The Robot Mech would be a great Final Smash

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I didn't think I wanted a Labo character, but I saw this on twitter and now I kind of want the little guy in Smash. The Robot Mech would be a great Final Smash
Damn, that is amazing! The animation quality alone is impressive. Somebody really put somebody effort into that.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So, I've always known what Labo was, but never looked too far into it until today. I must say, the Labo Robot (I call him LaboBot) would make for an excellent surprise character in Smash. He'd be like a mix between Wii Fit Trainer and ROB in that sense, as he'd be an off-the-wall unexpected character like the former, and a hardware piece turned into a character like the latter.

Key points for his potential moveset are all in the trailer, too. So, I went ahead and made a moveset for him. The idea was to make him a slow-moving and heavy-hitting character, but with surprising aerial prowess.
Neutral Attack: LaboBot throws alernating punches, and can punch continuously. Would be similar to ROB's neutral.

Side Tilt: A punch where LaboBot leans much more into the movement, increasing its range and damage.
Up Tilt: An uppercut attack that launches anyone in front of LaboBot, and hits them again at the top of the punch.
Down Tilt: Crouching turns LaboBot into its Tank Form, where LaboBot can drive around and fire lasers for his attack.

Neutral Aerial: An attack where LaboBot sticks its arms out to its sides and does a 360 spin motion.
Forward Aerial: LaboBot does a Karate Chop forward, where enemies hit are sent slightly downward.
Back Aerial: LaboBot juts both its elbows back, creating a small hit box with huge power. Similar to Captain Falcon's knee.
Up Aerial: A simple punch straight up into the air. Would be great for juggling.
Down Aerial: A stomping attack which brutally meteor-smashes enemies who get hit.

Pummel: Simple headbutt attacks that are slow, but do large percentages of damage.
Forward Throw: LaboBot spoots both its hands out, which carry the victim forward before exploding.
Back Throw: LaboBot leans backwards, slamming the enemy head-first into the ground like a lawn dart.
Up Throw: LaboBot does a 360 degree spin, violently launching the enemy up upon completion.
Down Throw: LaboBot slams the enemy onto the ground and proceeds to stomp on them.

Side Smash: Charges back a massive frontal punch with high power and end-lag.
Up Smash: Tucks both arms in before launching them straight up.
Down Smash: LaboBot raises its leg before slamming it down, creating a shock-wave that effects both in front of and behind it.

Neutral Special: LaboBot fires off its Special Beam attack.
Side Special: The Charge Punch attack, where LaboBot charges up its fist before shooting it forward, exploding upon impact.
Up Special: LaboBot enters its Flight Mode, where it can hover around like ROB, and is free to attack during it.
Down Special: A Drill Kick where LaboBot comes crashing down, meteor-smashing enemies as it comes down.

Final Smash: LaboBot enters Gigantic Mode, where LaboBot rampages across the stage, slamming its fists down for attacks.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So, I've always known what Labo was, but never looked too far into it until today. I must say, the Labo Robot (I call him LaboBot) would make for an excellent surprise character in Smash. He'd be like a mix between Wii Fit Trainer and ROB in that sense, as he'd be an off-the-wall unexpected character like the former, and a hardware piece turned into a character like the latter.

Key points for his potential moveset are all in the trailer, too. So, I went ahead and made a moveset for him. The idea was to make him a slow-moving and heavy-hitting character, but with surprising aerial prowess.
Neutral Attack: LaboBot throws alernating punches, and can punch continuously. Would be similar to ROB's neutral.

Side Tilt: A punch where LaboBot leans much more into the movement, increasing its range and damage.
Up Tilt: An uppercut attack that launches anyone in front of LaboBot, and hits them again at the top of the punch.
Down Tilt: Crouching turns LaboBot into its Tank Form, where LaboBot can drive around and fire lasers for his attack.

Neutral Aerial: An attack where LaboBot sticks its arms out to its sides and does a 360 spin motion.
Forward Aerial: LaboBot does a Karate Chop forward, where enemies hit are sent slightly downward.
Back Aerial: LaboBot juts both its elbows back, creating a small hit box with huge power. Similar to Captain Falcon's knee.
Up Aerial: A simple punch straight up into the air. Would be great for juggling.
Down Aerial: A stomping attack which brutally meteor-smashes enemies who get hit.

Pummel: Simple headbutt attacks that are slow, but do large percentages of damage.
Forward Throw: LaboBot spoots both its hands out, which carry the victim forward before exploding.
Back Throw: LaboBot leans backwards, slamming the enemy head-first into the ground like a lawn dart.
Up Throw: LaboBot does a 360 degree spin, violently launching the enemy up upon completion.
Down Throw: LaboBot slams the enemy onto the ground and proceeds to stomp on them.

Side Smash: Charges back a massive frontal punch with high power and end-lag.
Up Smash: Tucks both arms in before launching them straight up.
Down Smash: LaboBot raises its leg before slamming it down, creating a shock-wave that effects both in front of and behind it.

Neutral Special: LaboBot fires off its Special Beam attack.
Side Special: The Charge Punch attack, where LaboBot charges up its fist before shooting it forward, exploding upon impact.
Up Special: LaboBot enters its Flight Mode, where it can hover around like ROB, and is free to attack during it.
Down Special: A Drill Kick where LaboBot comes crashing down, meteor-smashing enemies as it comes down.

Final Smash: LaboBot enters Gigantic Mode, where LaboBot rampages across the stage, slamming its fists down for attacks.
Now this is an excellent moveset.

Goes to show that one trailer can give off most of the Robot's moveset potential.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm so conflicted now. That one gif from twitter has made me consider the cardboard LaboMan and his possibilities, but I love the idea of the big beefy mech too, especially a big beefy mech that busts out a fishing rod, drops pianos, plays with a doll house and has a motorbike.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Glad someone else thought this was a good idea, was starting to think I was crazy. An alt skin where it’s just a dude with cardboard boxes is a must.
Wireframes/Fighting Polygons/Alloys wearing it? Wii Fit Trainer in it as an alt?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I can't believe this doesn't have more support after the amazing twitter animation.
That was actually the opposite of what I’d want Labo Man to be.

Wireframes/Fighting Polygons/Alloys wearing it? Wii Fit Trainer in it as an alt?
I really wish you hadn’t said that, because know I can’t unsee Labo Men as the new Wireframe/Polygon/Mii instead of an actual fighter.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I really wish you hadn’t said that, because know I can’t unsee Labo Men as the new Wireframe/Polygon/Mii instead of an actual fighter.
That would be a waste, though. If anything, there should be a proper sentai-style transformation cutscene where they go from generic enemy to Labo-enhanced singleplayer boss that you can unlock to play as. The Labo has way too much potential for such a limited type of fighter.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
I mean if ROB can make it I don’t see why this guy can’t. Would be interesting for sure. That way we could have an old school toy-con and a new school toy-con in the game. Would be quite the potential rivalry match-up in fan fictions lmao.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm so conflicted now. That one gif from twitter has made me consider the cardboard LaboMan and his possibilities, but I love the idea of the big beefy mech too, especially a big beefy mech that busts out a fishing rod, drops pianos, plays with a doll house and has a motorbike.
We do need more heavyweight characters in Smash. Toy-Con Robot is a good choice.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know what? I support the Labo robot!

Hey, if Harry from Teleroboxer won't be added, I'll take this instead!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
boy this stuff takes a while to build

edit: worst part is im missing a piece so i cant even finish it

Last edited:
Top Bottom