• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tourney vids of my fox, critique appreciated

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hey I'm SB and I use fox...... currently uploading some more vids but yeah. this is what i've got so far.
vs. falcon
against smeesh 1
against smeesh 2/3

vs. marth
3-stock fight against JBM during a crew battle

things I've noticed:
ledgehop dair from ledge. a lot. it isn't very good. why do i do that...
random waveland/platform dash mess-ups -> likely due to nerves/etc. i'll work on it.
punish game is kind of weak at some points. should uthrow -> uair/bair or upsmash more often if given the opportunity
approach isn't varied enough and easy to read
teching patterns need to be more varied to prevent techchases. try shining after stuff for frame advantages.
nair approach needs to be dashdanced/better spaced/more varied; late nairs more often.
improve technical consistency; mess up nairshine -> wd/grab/nair on shield often, sometimes mess up nairshine wavedash.
try more nair -> dash attack
improve recovery variance
improve edgeguarding; bairs/shines more precise
etc.

what do you guys think? lol

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I only watched the set with Smeesh.

Hm, from what I can see you have to totally re-construct your approach. You must have been punished with short hop aerials two dozen times in that set. The second match 0:30-0:36 you'll see what I mean.
And your other form of approach seem to be stationary u-tilts.

Also, you seem to be afraid to approach falcon, instead of punishing him. You retreat and wait for you both to be in neutral position so you can sneak in a aerial or two>repeat. (Ex. waveshining away, or rolling away when he comes in for attack.)

Some players play like that, and others aren't afraid to go in and take full advantage of their opportunity. I guess you are the first category.

You aren't recovering properly. I'm sure you're fully capable of it, just not making a habit of it. Since you aren't sweetspotting with up+b, or mixing up forward+b's and your jump use enough.

And don't be afraid to experiment in friendlies, that is something even GOOD players tend to forget when they play new characters, throw in some jabs or f-tilts. You'll be surprised how good extra moves can be.

One more thing, if you're gonna play the hit and run style. (What I said earlier about two types of players) then you'll have to hog platform a lot more, you really don't have much options just dancing on the ground and mixing up short/full hops to approach.

Anyways good luck.

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
if your going to play patiently like that you should throw a couple of lasers because i saw vs smeesh that you were a good distance away and you could have shl or shdl like two times to help build damage.
Also dont wait for c falcon to come and combo the crap out of you a great way to punish is drill waveshine then up smash twice from this you can bair him which will more then likely get them of the stage and from there it should be pwnage from there
u smash out of the shield works great to because falcon cant shine and after an airials but dont shield too much bc you'll just get mind gamed into a grab

PB&J

Smash Hero
dont worry about getting a better approach against falcon because..the more people u play that will come naturally..what i seen wrong was your rolling too much..try watching the vids again and rewind everytime u rolled,,study it and hate it..besides that your comos and lbeing more fluid will come natural the more people u play..keep it up

ipownoobz

Smash Rookie
personally, stop randomly lasering whenever you get a chance. instead, use the time for more punishment, etc. also, at some points your a bit slow on the reaction nut generally it's fine.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
I noticed that in general you seemed afraid in the match. Examples of that are rolling away and reseting to the neutral position instead of punishing. Many top fox players such as colbol, M2K and Mango, thrive in close range combat. Fox unlike marth or jiggs is a character that has to be inside to ****, so I would recommend working on an advanced approach game and play enough friendlies with players you think are scary to become comfortable with being close to them. After you get rid of the fear, it becomes a lot easier to notice their mistakes and punish them. This is something that people have told me and that I've been trying to work on.

Top Bottom