• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Locator Tech Of The Week: Aerial Check

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
One Smash in partnership Tourney Locator have worked together to produce the series: Tech of the Week! This week marks the tenth video of the series, and what better way to celebrate than by follow Ryu on a journey to learn the nine previous techs and introduce tech #88: Aerial Check!

Even though this is the tenth video of the series this tech is numbered 88. This is because all of the techs to be shared are a part of the One Smash Tech Tree. This makes each video feed of the others, showing how each tech works together to form a complete game. The other videos in the series include Fast Fall Break,Snap Back and Slow Run. A full playlist is available here so be sure to check these out to get the full idea of the One Smash Tech Tree.

SmashCapps always looks forward to the Tech of the Week and hopes it can help people learn something new. To keep up with all of his writing antics follow him on Twitter.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
Nice and about 20 seconds of "new tech" in a 4:24 video.

Last edited:

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
That doesn't justify using the whole video for it. Where're Roy and Lucas?
They're in the character select screen. :lick:

This has nothing to do with being justified. Showing Ryu doesn't mean we have to give equal screen time to the other new combers.

If you would like to see more of other content in the vids, just let me know. We change up the style every week.

Last edited:

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
OMG Finally i can stop getting grabbed out of mid air

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
a nice way to run through all the tricks, though it does feel a little silly...

[okay, so after watching it again, I presume the idea here is using shield stun from an attack to generally push your target out of range from countering you? see someone shielding, and use something like a back air to push them just behind you.

I dunno, depends on the target, close range fighters like Falcon or Roy might work, but those with Reach, like Link and especially Marth might do more harm than good,]

Last edited:

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Stop calling these techs. These are called tactics
You do know that the term refers to technique and not the ironic phrase "technology", right? Even if you don't want to refer to some of these as advanced techniques, and a few of them really aren't, they are still techniques regardless.

Technique: "a method of accomplishing a desired aim".

Tactic: "an action or method that is planned and used to achieve a particular goal"

A technique is part of a tactic, not the other way around. A technique is your tool, a tactic is your goal.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Neat video!

I like the video format, as well as demonstrations as to how the techs affect Ryu (Didn't realize hip check fierce Ftilt was so good!).

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dude they aren't advanced tech and they aren't game changing but they do require tech skill you are really being quite rude
No, they don't.

Let me preface this next statement by saying that I DON'T hate smash 4 as a game, and I want to see it develop further.

But the reason a lot of old school smash players DO hate smash 4 is because people like yourself (new players / scrubs/people who have never went to a weekly or tournament but think 4 glory defines competitive smash) consider things like shieldgrabbing and jumping off stage to edgeguard "Techskill" when they're just really, really basic techniques.

Basically, smash 4 is a fun easy to play watered down, overly defensive version of what Smash is supposed to be, so what smash 4 players do so that they can live in denial is micro-analyze the game and call everything "tech" when in reality it requires little to no skill to do any of this stuff. And for the love of god don't mention pivoting because it's not hard and it's been around since smash 64. It's difficult in melee/PM but that's it.

A lot of these players claim to dislike or hate melee, yet they try to emulate melee's terminology and apply it to smash 4 when they are two very different games... melee has way more hype and skill involved so people want to try and pretend this same depth exists in smash 4 when it very clearly does not. "tech of the week" is the best evidence, I don't even have to try to prove my point thanks these videos

TLDR : Smash 4 is an easy game, people over glorify basic techniques so that they feel like it's deeper than it actually is.

Last edited:

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
No, they don't.

Let me preface this next statement by saying that I DON'T hate smash 4 as a game, and I want to see it develop further.

But the reason a lot of old school smash players DO hate smash 4 is because people like yourself (new players / scrubs/people who have never went to a weekly or tournament but think 4 glory defines competitive smash) consider things like shieldgrabbing and jumping off stage to edgeguard "Techskill" when they're just really, really basic techniques.

Basically, smash 4 is a fun easy to play watered down, overly defensive version of what Smash is supposed to be, so what smash 4 players do so that they can live in denial is micro-analyze the game and call everything "tech" when in reality it requires little to no skill to do any of this stuff. And for the love of god don't mention pivoting because it's not hard and it's been around since smash 64. It's difficult in melee/PM but that's it.

A lot of these players claim to dislike or hate melee, yet they try to emulate melee's terminology and apply it to smash 4 when they are two very different games... melee has way more hype and skill involved so people want to try and pretend this same depth exists in smash 4 when it very clearly does not. "tech of the week" is the best evidence, I don't even have to try to prove my point thanks these videos

TLDR : Smash 4 is an easy game, people over glorify basic techniques so that they feel like it's deeper than it actually is.
I have in fact gone to a tournament and no shield grabbing doesn't need tech skill I know it's not as deep and most of those things are techs though, I can argue that things in melee aren't techs like shine spikes, oh and melee and pm are my favorite smash games to date so please don't assume i don't know what I'm talking about also I think for glory sucks and takes away from the depth 4 does have.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I have in fact gone to a tournament and no shield grabbing doesn't need tech skill I know it's not as deep and most of those things are techs though, I can argue that things in melee aren't techs like shine spikes, oh and melee and pm are my favorite smash games to date so please don't assume i don't know what I'm talking about also I think for glory sucks and takes away from the depth 4 does have.
If you're a luigi main (looks like it) I can definitely understand that PM / Melee are your favorites lol. Luigi sucks in 64, brawl and smash 4.

For glory = cancer of competitive smash. More scrubs now than in the Brawl days. What a sick joke that game mode is.

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
If you're a luigi main (looks like it) I can definitely understand that PM / Melee are your favorites lol. Luigi sucks in 64, brawl and smash 4.

For glory = cancer of competitive smash. More scrubs now than in the Brawl days. What a sick joke that game mode is.
I agree that for glory is horrible although luigi isn't horrible in 4 he is in brawl and 64 though I do love me some smash 64, also whatever gave you the idea that I main Luigi

Last edited:
Top Bottom