• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament tomorrow: Advice!

breez

Smash Ace
Hey guys, my friends and I are making a 6 hour drive to Portland tomorrow from Vancouver, Canada in order to play in a SSBB tournament. This is really the closest one to us, and we have never really participated in a big tournament before.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect? Anyone want to give me a few tips on how I should go about things?

Also, any tips on the gameplay would be great aswell. I am kind of worried about getting run into the ground, but pulling off a good place would be awesome!

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
It's not likely that you'll place well at your first tourney, it doesn't happen often. But it helps you get better. Just go there, play LOTS of friendlies, as much as you can. They help a lot. Money match some people for $1-$5 to help avoid playing people who may sandbag if you can spare the money. For playing tips, just do not ever be predictable and mix it up a lot, study how others play and try to read their mistakes and habits, and exploit them, and learn your matchups. And try not to be too nervous. No ones going to walk up to you and say you suck if you do aweful. GL.

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
Good luck to you. As it's your first tourney, you can't really expect to place well. However, try your hardest, and place as well as you can. Also, play lots of friendlies. Not with your brother. Find the best people at the tourney, and just play them. Ask them for advice on what you're doing wrong, and how to fix it. Also watch them in their tourney matches. See what they do, and try to take the stuff you like, and put it into your game. And play a few money matches. Not for the money, just to play people who will take it seriously.

That's all I've got. Good luck, have fun, and don't be discouraged if you place poorly.

Top Bottom