• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

topic of debat #1 - paying/bribing players to events

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
Link to original post: [drupal=5427]topic of debat #1 - paying/bribing players to events[/drupal]

I have always felt strongly in opposition for this. To me, competitive gaming in general was alwyas a risky investment for people who felt their earnings were worth spending into traveling, lodging, etc. for gaming events. I don't like the idea of people needing to be paid to attend events. This is my opinion, and I am creating this to see what your opinion is too.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
This is a scrub mentality you have going on. You want them to have to risk more after already putting this much ****ing time and effort into something? So what do Boxers and Football players also have to go off this mentality? I'm sure that would work out! (No it wouldn't)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well in some cases top players will be subsidised because they are the representative of their region, the absolute best of that niche metagame. To really have a diverse and accurately represented bracket, you need the best of all regions to be there.

So in a sense I'm not against it as long it's not forced on people, I think it's partly the player's responsibility, but if it just isn't within their means, and the community is focused on having the most competitive tournament possible, then I think it's actually quite a good idea.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
It should be every player's goal to be good enough that people actually pay you to go to tournaments. This is basically how sponsorship works, and it works very well for other tournament games.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
For a long time Michigan had a difficult time gaining any sort of notable attendance for Brawl tournaments.

Then I started the Phoenix Saga series and payed for gas money, top/respected/nice players' entries and more. And now my series is one of the strongest in the Midwest. Sometimes you need to sweeten the pot to get people to attend. And then if you do a good enough job and stay true to your word it attracts people. Other top players tell others of your generosity and kindness. Local players show up more because of the increased exposure to different top level players. And my reputation and series gains respect. It's a win-win for everyone.

I regret nothing.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Wants to be taken seriously but doesn't spell "debate" correctly.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
This is a scrub mentality you have going on. You want them to have to risk more after already putting this much ****ing time and effort into something? So what do Boxers and Football players also have to go off this mentality? I'm sure that would work out! (No it wouldn't)
Well that analogy doesn't necessarily apply. You don't just spend time playing football to get into the NFL it requires serious money and time investment, just like professional gaming. I do not agree that my mentality is scrub, because I am not a "scrub", I'm an ex competitive Brawl/Melee player, as well as a respected East Coast T/O just trying to make interesting conversation who just so happens to have a slightly different outlook on things (but is open to new views and ideas like a T/O should be).

To become good at anything takes time and money. To everyone who has spotlighted this as a "sponsorship" type thing, that does make a lot of sense. I didn't really look at it that way, so thanks for the insight. The only thing that kind of bothers me, however, is that I feel like the effort I put into my events, and the results of that, may get taken away by constantly having to throw money back into it. Hmm, I have some stuff to think about surely.

It was a typo (and SWF doesn't allow thread title re-editing). Spend less time trying to flame my thread title and more time bringing something useful to this discussion, just some friendly advice. ;)

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Well, clearly as a TO, you'd rather not have to pay people to attend your events. That's completely understandable. But you should put it in those terms: "I'm a TO, and I don't want to pay attendees," instead of masking the point behind competitiveness or risk/reward.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Being a successful TO often entails putting your own money into your event, purely for your attendees' benefit. Sacrifice is SYNONYMOUS with hosting larger events a lot of the time. It comes down to WHY you host.

I host for my friends.

#ikepun

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yea, dumb opinion.

Hmm, I have some stuff to think about surely.
Mmhmm.

This game can be kind of gross with money though. Hearing about the smashers that get themselves stranded and whatnot is always hilarious. The grubbing happening around AIB was getting uncomfortable too.

oh my god this comment

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Well that analogy doesn't necessarily apply. You don't just spend time playing football to get into the NFL it requires serious money and time investment, just like professional gaming.
Thanks for making my case for me.

Gonna go smash my head on a wall now.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I didn't know you had to make SAC'FICES like EATIN FIVE TWINKIES INSTEAD OF TWO if you wanna be a profess'nal wrassler like THAT FAT*** S'MOA JOE.

Browny

Smash Hater
Its not bribing... its simply paying them for their services, in a way.

However I dont like it that some people act as if being 'sponsored' to attend events is some entitlement for being good at a video game, or that their presence is worth money. Especially when a certain cali olimar main travelled to texas and had a huge whinge because he didnt win money, complaining about the airfare cost (lol).

If someone isnt willing to spend any of their own money to travel somewhere, then they are not worth anyones time imo. This is a freakin game after all. If all they care about is money, and then on top of that will likely take home a large chunk of the pot as well, then they can get stuffed. You dont need the #1 player of a region to represent them, find someone to come to your tournament who will do it because they WANT to, not because they only see a pure financial benefit out of it. Or you get the whobo situation with DK. lol.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
Its not bribing... its simply paying them for their services, in a way.

However I dont like it that some people act as if being 'sponsored' to attend events is some entitlement for being good at a video game, or that their presence is worth money. Especially when a certain cali olimar main travelled to texas and had a huge whinge because he didnt win money, complaining about the airfare cost (lol).

If someone isnt willing to spend any of their own money to travel somewhere, then they are not worth anyones time imo. This is a freakin game after all. If all they care about is money, and then on top of that will likely take home a large chunk of the pot as well, then they can get stuffed. You dont need the #1 player of a region to represent them, find someone to come to your tournament who will do it because they WANT to, not because they only see a pure financial benefit out of it. Or you get the whobo situation with DK. lol.
I like this point!

as for the whole investing money thing and it being synonymous with being a good t/o, why not invest money in the actual structure of the event itself. That's what I have always done.

Thanks for making my case for me.

Gonna go smash my head on a wall now.
cute pun

Top Bottom