• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Best FFA Veterans?

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
Not all tournaments can be 1v1 due to time constraints and player interest, and the one I want to go to will be FFA till the semi-finals.

I'm thinking of picking a secondary to fit the FFA style.

Any ideas ASIDE FROM LUCARIO?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Lucas is the best character in 4vs by far. He lends himself very well. Other good ones are Ike, Pikachu, Kirby and Snake. Really, just chose someone your comfortable with.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
PK Thunder/ PK Thunder 2 is good at hitting multiple opponents and deals good damage and knock back. His smash attacks are all powerful and he doesn't take as much risk of being punished compared to a 1 on 1 since his opponents will be pre-occupied deal with other opponents. Upward smash is extremely strong and he can steal KOs very easily with it. Forward smash is strong and can also reflect items (Provided if they are even items on. Very helpful if someone is using the Super Scope, Hotheads, etc.) PK Magnet can heal Lucas as well if he is pitted against characters that have energy projectiles for him to absorb.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
PK Thunder/ PK Thunder 2 is good at hitting multiple opponents and deals good damage and knock back. His smash attacks are all powerful and he doesn't take as much risk of being punished compared to a 1 on 1 since his opponents will be pre-occupied deal with other opponents. Upward smash is extremely strong and he can steal KOs very easily with it. Forward smash is strong and can also reflect items (Provided if they are even items on. Very helpful if someone is using the Super Scope, Hotheads, etc.) PK Magnet can heal Lucas as well if he is pitted against characters that have energy projectiles for him to absorb.
To add to that, Lucas doesn't have many weaknesses. His weight is 95 and his attacks don't have a lot of cool down except for his up smash (which it's hard to punish since it last so long). He has decent air attacks with a strong up air. His side B is also a nice projectile and he has strong grabs. The only real big weakness I can think of is his grad is weird as it's an extended grad which have long cool down, but his is kind of short.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry I'm just shocked. Lucas being as low as he is on the Tier List, and to then transform to be a great FFA player... Just shocked really.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Honestly, pick whoever you want. MK is broken as always (Tornado all day, plus you can just hang out in the air while your opponents beat each other up), Snake survives forever and has some really nice tilts, and in general slower heavy characters are more viable simply due to the chaos factor making it much easier to land that ridiculously powerful F-smash.

BSP

Smash Legend
If you're going for an FFA character, I say go for the same characters that are good in doubles. Most of them are good in FFA situations too.

So Lucas, GaW, MK, Snake, Wario, Olimar, Marth...pretty much anyone that doesn't focus on camping usually should work.

Of course, if you try hard enough, you can make anyone work for you.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
meta knight is still the best... in any situation. if you pick meta knight just be sure to play super-gay while everyone else fights each other.
don't pick lucas unless you are already pretty good with him.
Zelda is actually awesome at ffa for such a low tier and she is easy to use (din's fire in a 4 person ffa = win) and aside from that basically spam smashes to get people off of you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
MetaKnight, Diddy and Snake are still the best. Although I myself like using DK in Free For Alls a lot. F Tilt and B Air are fast enough to keep anything at bay, and F Smash Down Smash and a charged punch are most likely stronger finishers than most other stuff your enemies could do, rivalling only Ike. Down B is nice to interrupt everything as well. And if items are on, its very very beneficial with DK to throw barrels and crates. Only problem is staying out of too many nasty attacks, but that's where zoning is for.

:phone:

BSP

Smash Legend
Also, keep in mind that you are a huge target as DK, so you can potentially eat lots of % in a very short amount of time.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
meta knight is still the best... in any situation. if you pick meta knight just be sure to play super-gay while everyone else fights each other.
don't pick lucas unless you are already pretty good with him.
Zelda is actually awesome at ffa for such a low tier and she is easy to use (din's fire in a 4 person ffa = win) and aside from that basically spam smashes to get people off of you.
MetaKnight, Diddy and Snake are still the best. Although I myself like using DK in Free For Alls a lot. F Tilt and B Air are fast enough to keep anything at bay, and F Smash Down Smash and a charged punch are most likely stronger finishers than most other stuff your enemies could do, rivalling only Ike. Down B is nice to interrupt everything as well. And if items are on, its very very beneficial with DK to throw barrels and crates. Only problem is staying out of too many nasty attacks, but that's where zoning is for.

It's clear who doesn't play FFA here. The aanswer: anyone who said Meta-Knight.

Not saying Meta-Knight is bad. He is still good, but in order to maike him work, you have to be good with him. He's not like Lucas, Ike or Pikachu where you can press buttons and good things happen. He has to work hard and be everywhere to work in an FFA as well as take full advantage of his strong KO moves (down smash and forwards smash and Up B) and be aggressive off the stage. Meta-Knight is good at 1v1, but FFA is a whole new world.

Also, doing these "gay things" (like camping) work more in stock. Planking will make you lose in a Time or Coin match and doesn't work with Items on.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No MetaKnight is still MetaKnight. Tornado still ****s everything up, and Shuttle Loop is still cheap as **** as well. Only thing MetaKnight has to watch out for is people not to gang up on him, but that's FFA for ya.

MetaKnight is still MetaKnight. He 's not worse in FFA at all. That's why you see him being played all the time still in Team Battles, which is more or less the same hing.

And of coarse you have to be good at him. But you have to be good at Ike and Pikachu as well. Why would anyone pick a character they're not good at?

So yeah, MetaKnight is still good, quite possibly still the best even. Perhaps Pikachu being his sole rival (or better: Thunder). Only thing he has to worry about is peopke ganging up on him, for him being MetaKnight. You always take down the most powerful first.

Yes, DK is a big target, and easy to combo. But you'll need to watch your zoning space with him a lot, especially in FFA, but that's what DK is good at. He's definitely not an easy pick for anyone, but DK-mains can easily keep with their character in FFA I feel.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No MetaKnight is still MetaKnight. Tornado still ****s everything up, and Shuttle Loop is still cheap as **** as well. Only thing MetaKnight has to watch out for is people not to gang up on him, but that's FFA for ya.

MetaKnight is still MetaKnight. He 's not worse in FFA at all. That's why you see him being played all the time still in Team Battles, which is more or less the same hing.

And of coarse you have to be good at him. But you have to be good at Ike and Pikachu as well. Why would anyone pick a character they're not good at?

So yeah, MetaKnight is still good, quite possibly still the best even. Perhaps Pikachu being his sole rival (or better: Thunder). Only thing he has to worry about is peopke ganging up on him, for him being MetaKnight. You always take down the most powerful first.

Yes, DK is a big target, and easy to combo. But you'll need to watch your zoning space with him a lot, especially in FFA, but that's what DK is good at. He's definitely not an easy pick for anyone, but DK-mains can easily keep with their character in FFA I feel.

Meta-Knight's strength is to be able to control the match with his high speed attacks. This style works when there is one other player. But with 4 players. you can't control the match, you have to flow with it instead. Meta-Knight's strength doesn't work here. It's npot that people will gang up on his, just that you have to control more than one factor, and you can't do that.

Smash is all about flow. You move with the match. 1v1s have more players controlling it because most elements are removed. Turn them back on, and now players try to adapt to the setting. The stage, the items, and other characters. You win be going with the flow and playing it better.

As far as what you mentioned, those moves are good, but not OMG the best. I'd still say Lucas's Up Smash is far and away better and easier to use. The tornado is more annoying than anything, but it can be blocked, countered as well as attacked from the top. I'll have to look more into beating it. His Up B is good, but if you miss, you leave yourself vulnerable. There are better moves that don't leave you open as long.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Snake and Rob. I have won a 256 person FFA 2 years in a row with Rob.
Usually get 3rd-9th in singles but I win more FFA's than I dont at our monthly.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ike. He is a great party crasher when other players are preoccupied with each other. It feels good to bring down your giant sword on multiple people at once. :cool:

:ike: You'll get no sympathy from me.

Top Bottom