• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Matchup Thread

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Matchup: Toon Link

Okay, TL is quite troublesome to Pit depending on the TL. Like Pit, TL could be played in many ways. You may want to try to adapt to how the TL plays. Let's narrow things down one by one.

Before this, for range, TL beats Pit, with the B-airs, and Z-airs, F-airs, and can attack faster.

One style is your common noobish TL kind. This just about consists of spamming Smashes. Shield them and try shield-grabbing the Fsmash after the 2nd hit if you aren't far enough. You can choose to use Dash attack. For Usmashes, try D-tilt after shielding the attack. Noobish TLs should be somewhat easy to predict.

We then have Campy Projectiling TLs. These kinds of TL are somewhat hard to surpress since TL can outspam a Pit, using a combination of his projectiles, and arrow cancel to increase the pressure. Since Pit really won't be able to camp a TL using a ton of projectiles, Pit will have to try to get though it to reach the TL.
Here's another thing that makes it hard to reach TL. Should you ever reach him, the TL is capable of running away and camping all over again, which would also make it bad to play these kinds of TL on FD. TL does run faster than Pit, though obvvious, it should be pointed out.

Then there are some TL that prefer to use less projectiles, and more close-combat. Most likely, you'll have to deal with a ton of B-airs, which is spammable, like Marth's F-air. Z-air is another hazard. Unlike Link's Z-air, TL's has only 1 hitbox, compare to the 2 hitboxes Link's has. Perhaps you can time a Shieldgrab against a Z-airing TL that's trying to close in to you, and not spacing away.

There are some TLs that use a variety of strategy, and could switch between a defensive campy style, to an offensive close-combat style in an instant. You have to stay on your toes and try to adapt to the situation.

Other Data
Arrows: TL can outspam Pit in just arrows at desire. Arrows cancel each other out, TL to Pit, and Pit to TL. Because TL can outspam these, Pit will probably have to angle his arrows in a direction to avoid hitting the arrows. You can reflect these, but TL could spam so much arrows that most likely that the arrow you reflected will be cancelled out by another one of TL's projectiles.

Boomerang: A simple arrow will cancel this out. Since TL would have more control over his boomerang, and that his boomerang will always do damage instead of the wind thing Link has, it's more dangerous than Link's. You can Mirror Shield it to send it back to TL and hurt him,, or like the arrow, get canceled out by another projectile that TL throws at you. Because of their hitstun, you gotta be careful if a boomerang is behind you, but that's obvious.

Bombs: Okay, do NOT try to reflect them. The bombs won't reflect straight. If you reflect it as it's moving downwards, it will keep its downward momentum. The Bomb explosion is capable of still hurting Pit even through the Mirror Shield at a particular distance and angle. Now, Angel Ring will probably be the same thing. Just don't reflector bombs.
If you use an arrow on it, the bomb will just take the damage and keep going, and you may just get hit.

-Like Link, TL's Shield can block projectiles that come towards him if he does not move, standing or crouching. TL won't hold his Shield when holding a bomb or an item, which would probably be the opening to attack perhaps, or shoot an arrow at him.
-Again, like Link, and Samus for that matter, they can airdodge, and then use their Z-air at will, making it a bit harder to get to them, so be cautous. TL's Z-air will only hit once instead of twice like Link's. U could try to shieldgrab a TL that's approaching while doing Z-air.

Adapting to the TL's style can take some time, especially those that change playstyles during the match. As far as Stages go, idk anything about that yet, except that TL seems to have a bit of problems on Frigate, according to our CP/banning list.

This will become more detailed and accurate as discussions go on.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
yay TL matchup i need to kno it NAO....SOup iz always beating me :(....WUt i can say about it is that when TL attacks you he comes with the army. ARmy meaning Zair arrow bomb and bomerrange....blocking all of this is dumb and pointless cuzz u will just get shield poked or grabbed...reflecting them is a smart thing to do but after a while a smart TL will find other ways to get around ur shield...

I think out of all TL's aproaches Zair is the worse (meaning best) since if u side step he falls baq and arrows or nairs u.... as Pit i think that u should try and keep ur distance from TL and dair camp and arrow camp...stay away and reflect his projectiles....we cant OUT spam him but our arrows are faster then any of his projectiles.......imo this matchup is 55:45 TL favor....oo and watch out for UP air it has lag after its out......DI out of Fsmash and remember that nair can kill.....GImping TL with MS on his recovery isnt something u should rely on..He doesnt have to rely on it much since he can zair the edge..its probably best not to chase him and just shoot arrows to give him the damage...

Coffee™

I need it....
yay TL matchup i need to kno it NAO....SOup iz always beating me :(....WUt i can say about it is that when TL attacks you he comes with the army. ARmy meaning Zair arrow bomb and bomerrange....blocking all of this is dumb and pointless cuzz u will just get shield poked or grabbed...reflecting them is a smart thing to do but after a while a smart TL will find other ways to get around ur shield...

I think out of all TL's aproaches Zair is the worse (meaning best) since if u side step he falls baq and arrows or nairs u.... as Pit i think that u should try and keep ur distance from TL and dair camp and arrow camp...stay away and reflect his projectiles....we cant OUT spam him but our arrows are faster then any of his projectiles.......imo this matchup is 55:45 TL favor....oo and watch out for UP air it has lag after its out......DI out of Fsmash and remember that nair can kill.....GImping TL with MS on his recovery isnt something u should rely on..He doesnt have to rely on it much since he can zair the edge..its probably best not to chase him and just shoot arrows to give him the damage...

From the few matches I played with Soup. I can say that Dair isn't that great in this matchup. TL is small and is in the air alot. That coupled with the fact that he can hit you with projectiles from the air makes Dair just merely "ok" for approaching. Fair is probably your best bet. Also TL's Nair doesn't really kill, its his Fair you probably mean. You can camp TL somewhat but it's annoying as you have to use a bunch of retreating arrows and charged arrows to beat his airdodges. MS is useless. AR is a lot better. Bombs suck to deal with and that all I I have to say atm.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I'm gonna say the match up is 55-45 TL. Fast summary, up close, at low percents, Pit *****, but if we use a hit and run tactic, not much they can do. AT high percents, I think TL kills faster. Every pit i've played seems to have had trouble killing me, specially if I just watch out for bair. I might add on later depending on what others are saying. I kinda want to give this match up, 60.40 TL xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBj0Kn5E6ZI

Coffee™

I need it....
I'm gonna say the match up is 55-45 TL. Fast summary, up close, at low percents, Pit *****, but if we use a hit and run tactic, not much they can do. AT high percents, I think TL kills faster. Every pit i've played seems to have had trouble killing me, specially if I just watch out for bair. I might add on later depending on what others are saying. I kinda want to give this match up, 60.40 TL xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBj0Kn5E6ZI
At high percents TL does have slightly more options for killing due to his aerials but it isn't really any harder to avoid his kill moves than Pits especially when playing a defensive game. In general both characters can play the same hit and run tactic and it ends up becoming a matter of who gets that first kill lol. It doesn't feel particularly hard from Pit's side though 55:45 TL to 50:50 seems to be where its at imo.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Well, if pit hits our shield with any one of his attacks, I think we can punish it, with atleast a grab. But I perfectly spaced bair cant be punished. I'm not 100% on this though, this is just what I see from playing. So thats why hit and run works much better for us than pit. We also have a better spam game, so we'd be racking up damage faster too. I think pits best bet against TL is to get in close, and try and prevent us from throwing out too much stuff, which still seems pretty hard for the winged boy

Well I don't know much about Pit, but I can tell you that Toon Links pretty much will never use F-Smash and Dair. You should watch out for all our projectiles. Toon Links can arrow cancel out of like half our aerials, and our bombs from a short hop.

Like Jerm said, we can do the hit and run, in which we keep enemies away with our projectile spam, and when they get close, we just push them away and keep them back. Our nair, bair, fair, and bombs can be arrow cancelled from a short hop, and our zair has zero lag, which can lead to a free second hit.

As for counterpicks, we normally like levels that give us a lot of room to spam projectiles like Final Destination. We also do well in Rainbow Cruise.

Now applying this all to Pit.

Pit has a two reflectors if i'm not mistaken (probably am). I don't exactly know what works and what doesn't work, but you can use them to your advantage when you're feeling overwhelmed with proyectile spam. Don't depend on them however, because Toon Links can get around these fairly easy.

I'll write more when i'm not busy.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Pit has a two reflectors if i'm not mistaken (probably am). I don't exactly know what works and what doesn't work, but you can use them to your advantage when you're feeling overwhelmed with proyectile spam. Don't depend on them however, because Toon Links can get around these fairly easy.

I'll write more when i'm not busy.
Mirror shield and AR both act as reflectors, you're right

Coffee™

I need it....
Well, if pit hits our shield with any one of his attacks, I think we can punish it, with atleast a grab. But I perfectly spaced bair cant be punished. I'm not 100% on this though, this is just what I see from playing. So thats why hit and run works much better for us than pit. We also have a better spam game, so we'd be racking up damage faster too. I think pits best bet against TL is to get in close, and try and prevent us from throwing out too much stuff, which still seems pretty hard for the winged boy
TL can shield grab Pit out of a FF'd Fair / Bair and Dtilt. Fair only if he's too close since it has pretty decent knockback when shielded but I think thats about it. Idk about TL's Bair. The only thing I can think of atm that should be able to punish it on shield is Dash Attack OoS which isn't too bad of an option but I'm not 100% on it.

EDIT: Also, MS is pretty useless in this matchup.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
50-50 to 55-45 toonlink is appropriate is. Pit has to get close, which is hard but he's ok at handling Toon links spam. I think Pit just needs to attack before or with toonlink. When they both clash I think Pit usually wins.

Toonlink will work set ups to get his smash attacks in for KOs or use u-air, jump when he uses u-air under you. I have a friend that uses toonlink pretty well and I've been KOing him whitn glide attack off the edge XD. That could be a good way to kill.

UncleSam

Smash Master
50-50 to 55-45 toonlink is appropriate is. Pit has to get close, which is hard but he's ok at handling Toon links spam. I think Pit just needs to attack before or with toonlink. When they both clash I think Pit usually wins.
I believe our uptilt either clashes or beats all of your ground moves, lol I was wrong some of your moves are faster but we have range

our uptilt comes out on frame 8, it clashes with snakes ftilt... that's gotta count for something lol

EDIT: long range and mid range is where we excel, pass that and you are almost there... you have to kill us next :p
try not to get caught in the pressure...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I was about to say, if you want to break through a projectile wall go with AR

AR won't last long either. It may work better against projectiles than the Mirror Shield, but a simple Z-air from TL will knock Pit outta AR, and give him damage as well.

UncleSam

Smash Master
AR won't last long either. It may work better against projectiles than the Mirror Shield, but a simple Z-air from TL will knock Pit outta AR, and give him damage as well.
and our Zair autocancels to nair/grab, watch yourselves

I don't think ART would even reach us if we played long-range

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Outcamping also makes it a bad idea for Pit to try to ledgecamp either, for he can't keep up with the projectile bombardment, and will just suffer more damage. It's hard enough trying to get back on the stage with projectiles coming around all the time. Pit, generally for the most part has to approach.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Outcamping also makes it a bad idea for Pit to try to ledgecamp either, for he can't keep up with the projectile bombardment, and will just suffer more damage. It's hard enough trying to get back on the stage with projectiles coming around all the time. Pit, generally for the most part has to approach.
I advise saving a jump so if you get hit out of WOI you can glide.
other than that yeah, you pretty much have to get dirty and approach, which we will try to make as difficult as possible

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
so to get things clear,
im assuming the logical choice would be to use MS?

or we could just use nair to cancel all his projectiles.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Bombs will rarely bounce back at our opponent when reflected. The chances are that the bomb will land right in front of your shield and explode. And it will hurt you yes.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Okay, TL needs Z-air (or another long-ranged move) to knock Pit outta AR.

For Mirror Shield, a bomb that explodes near Pit has a chance of hurting Pit. Also, a projectile that goes over the Mirror Shield hurts Pit too.

The situations for the reflectors are different, with different ways we can be punished.

MJG

Smash Hero
*sigh*

Ok First I would like you to point out a few things
-As most of you know, our kill moves are Up-Smash, Fair, Up Air, Forward Smash (rarely landed)
-Wing Dash cancels out the Boomerang and Arrows. It can also push back bombs but dont count on that.
-We can punish your dash attack with an Up Smash
-Be careful when gliding back on stage. We can easily run under you and Up Smash but we will also trade hits with your Glide attack if we dont time our Up Smash properly. It is always best to try to use your glide attack when you are basically on top of us incase the toonlink decides to sit in his shield so that he can grab you.
-Pit can out camp toonlink. Enough said. Change up your arrow game so that we dont powershield them as often.
-I personally have dropped a bomb along the edge of a stage where pit will ledge hop and use his up air to get toonlink off of him or to just jump back and arrow. This leaves me with three things that i can follow up on. I can jump up and wait for u to try to get back on stage while avoiding the bomb, i can drop the bomb just as you are about to up air and you will be stage spiked (this has happen only twice so dont worry) or i can throw a boomerang down at your as you pop up off the ledge and we can F smash you.
-Recover either fairly low or use your glide to get back on stage. I have only gimped pit about 4 or 5 times.
-When it comes to returning to the stage in an area where marth/olimar have to recover, well..just dont do it. Toonlinks can throw a boomerang down at an angle and make pit pop up and we can follow up with an F Smash. More situational than anything
-Toonlink is too floaty for a Forward throw CG. We can DI down and zair or just nair...so get ready to powershield...chances of you regrabbing us still is slim to none. So maybe Forward throw to Dash attack? Or even forward throw to a shutter step F Smash (that is so sexy XD)
-Toonlink can kill pit easier than pit can kill toonlink.
-Zair out ranges you and is good at mid range. It also beats out your arrows (idk about fully charged ones though.
-On Platforms/Ledges, it is good to execute F smash because even if we shield the first hit, the second hit WILL hit toonlink and i hate that it happens but your F smash pushes us just far enough to where the second hit can reach us and we will lose our shield because we no longer have any ground below us.

Toonlinks will most likely be counterpicking stages like:
-Battlefield (Reduces ability to camp as hard)
-Pirate Ship (to avoid being gimped..i wouldnt CP pick this personally)
-Halberd isnt bad for us but I would BAN this stage against pits first
-Delfino (its ok..again i wouldnt Counterpick it but we dont have any advantages/disadvantages really, except for the slim chance of spiking pit when the two players are playin it out on the moving platform

Stages for Pit when playing toonlink:
-Halberd (You will kill us earlier)
-Yoshis Island (If for some reason we are recovering low on this stage and you decide to glide along the ledge, then you can end your glide, grab the ledge, and get a quick kill. Heres a Money Match video that demonstrating this..just watch up start at 20 and end at 30 to see what I am talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRnEuhpd2Ac)
-Delfino (Look at Description above)
-Lylat (This is by far one of the better stages to play on against a tl user...its annoying.

TL;DR- Pit out camps toonlink. Pressure toonlink on the ledge. Win the first match or its an uphill battle and vice versa for toonlink since both players have several options as to where they can take their opponent.

50:50. This match up is very stage dependent and on how well each player knows the match up
Might edit this post later..kind of scrambled at the moment

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
For Mirror Shield, a bomb that explodes near Pit has a chance of hurting Pit. Also, a projectile that goes over the Mirror Shield hurts Pit too.
doesn't MS have a few invincibility frames at startup?
so, if we time it right, the bombs/projectiles would not do damage.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
To respond to the things u mentioned, these are the answers to each.

-The Kill moves are just about right.
-Maybe.... It isnt worth staling a Kill move when we are at low %s
-Just shoot projectiles and knock us outta our glide.
-Unfortunately, TL outcamps and outspams Pit.
-This is unfortunately true if the TL DIs well, though a Pit shouldnt even try CGing a TL anyways. Now, if the TL does not expect an F-throw to Stutterstep Fsmash from 0% then that's a quick roughtly 30% damage from Pit (if moves are fresh)
-Mostly true
-True again, but if u approach while Z-air, we might be able to Shieldgrab, for TL's Z-air has 1 hitbox, not 2 like Link's.
-That's always been normal for Pit to do that, well, against the spammy ones, this would be common.

YI is one of Pit's worst stages, and would not fit him here. Pit's recovering options are limited there and the Shy guys throw away full projectile use.

Halberd isn't completely fit for this matchup if TL would spam away Usmash and U-air for quicker kills. The vertical KO capabilities are better here,

I would assume that frigate would help Pit a bit since he still has a lot of recovering options, and on the right side of the stage before it flips is a non-ledge area, which could limit TL's recovering more.

EDIT: Oh, at 321, Mirror Shield has Super Armor frames, not invincibility frames. We'll take damage, but wont flinch, and Pit will only get some super armor frames when he uses Mirror Shield on the ground.

MJG

Smash Hero
Angel Ring is better than MS IMO but i dont use Pit
I dont understand the out camping part but i can pretty much agree with everything else

The toonlink shouldnt always be ADing before using Zair. It becomes way too predictable.

EDIT: I have some good points and things to add to your already good points in about 10 mins >.>

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Mirror Shield has Super Armor frames, not invincibility frames. We'll take damage, but wont flinch.
oh okay. i always confuse the 2 :x

anyway, we shouldn't be wasting time reflecting projectiles.
simply powershield & approach with any attack.

we should only be fearing arrows, and we can cancel them with our fair or nair.
boomerangs and bombs are an annoyance, but TL's shoot out more arrows than anything.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
^ TL's shoot out far more bombs/rang/zair than arrows. At least the good ones ;). Arrows are mediocre at best and get powershielded way too easily. The proyectile u should be fearing the most is BOMBS. Oh, and at mjg pit doesnt outcamp TL.

Ayoub

Smash Ace
When the distance between toon link and pit is far, pit does.

Arrows, bombs and boomerang don't have a very long range to reach like, when pit stand at the left side of FD and toon link at the right side. While pits arrows go till the end. On more smaller stages like BF, TL does outcamp pit.

MJG

Smash Hero
^ TL's shoot out far more bombs/rang/zair than arrows. At least the good ones ;). Arrows are mediocre at best and get powershielded way too easily. The proyectile u should be fearing the most is BOMBS. Oh, and at mjg pit doesnt outcamp TL.
^^Yes your right. Ill admit im wrong

From my perspective, i was picturing Pit being on the opposite end of toonlink on any stage and being able to get arrows over to toonlink in no time...but the toonlink player should never be that far from pit in the first place.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
ah. i guess i havnt played any good TL's than :<

and bombs, don't they explode on impact?
meaning, once we powersheild, it does no dmg.

i believe we should fear boomerangs,
since they can be angled, and can come back at you if it misses.

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Naah, toonlinks use arrows the most. You can't spam boomerang since it has to go and come back. During that time you could've shoot 4 arrows or something when you SHDA twice. They use bombs a lot I admit, it is great for mindgames.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
If you shield a bomb, it bounces. This when the good TL's juggle the bomb, and ***** your shield.

Top Bottom