• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Matchup Rediscussion #12: Diddy Kong

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Its pretty hard to counterpick diddy. But at the same time, its hard for them to counterpick you. Just dont waste your Ban on FD. Chose wisely.

BigMara

Smash Rookie
Instead of saying live experience, I should of said a lot of experience. What I'm trying to get at is the more the diddy and Tlink play, the easier the match-up should be for diddy. Shield in general is effective against Tinks playstyle because of his lackluster grab. When your shield gets low, go camp.

Anyways, thats all I have to say for my opinion. Nothing can really be done when I haven't made a name for myself around the boards.

Popcornio

Smash Apprentice
What I'm trying to get at is the more the diddy and Tlink play, the easier the match-up should be for diddy.
Wouldn't that work both ways? I used to have a horrible time against my friend's Diddy but since I've learned his game he now has a hard time against me now because I've learned his playstyle, general attack set-ups, ect.

BigMara

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't that work both ways? I used to have a horrible time against my friend's Diddy but since I've learned his game he now has a hard time against me now because I've learned his playstyle, general attack set-ups, ect.
Like I said, I feel that diddy has more options and tricks to use against Tlink. The player skills still have a major impact on the match-up....like most match-ups. Its just that usually, Diddy doesn't have to work as hard when he understands all the small details about the match up like bombs vs bananas, bair beating out cartwheel, diddy down tilt being absolutely safe on Tlink's shield, ect. Even if Tlink players understood everything about the match-up, they still need to put good effort to beating diddy. Like I said, proper shielding is good against Tlink because grabs won't come very often and aren't as devastating when they land.

LOL wut? If anything it's in our favor. How can his naner game be affective if we are ALWYAS in the air?
Like I said, diddy can have a banana in his hand and shoot peanuts to force a bair, nair, or airdodge. If you take the hit, not only do you take damage for no reason but you have your front side faced towards diddy....which isn't all that advantages for obvious reasons. Also, a banana is usually ready to be tossed when you land. In some situations, holding a bomb can save you from this predicament.

Wouldn't Luigi's Mansion block Diddy's projectiles?

Wait no... it doesn't matter. They just fall down. They don't blow up in our faces.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Radori, you really need to play a good Diddy Kong. They throw bananas at you as you're landing, not before you land. Even if you did catch it like that, they could just attack you while you land.

Radori Nighthawk

Smash Apprentice
Radori, you really need to play a good Diddy Kong. They throw bananas at you as you're landing, not before you land. Even if you did catch it like that, they could just attack you while you land.
>____>

I second main is Diddy. I've also played Deez and Esoj on FD might I add. Arrow cancels hinder that. Diddy throws a naner while TL arrow cancels. Naner knocks down TL but arrow smacks Diddy in the face. Arrow cancels > Diddy's approach while holder a naner.

<____<

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I don't even know who those two players are.

....lol @ ~3 damage being worse then tripping.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
4 damage if the arrow is fresh? lol
I thought you were supposed to do this move then one time a stock.

3-4 damage < being in a bad position.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You take everything so personally. Go watch matches of Jerm playing Gnes and then give your opinion on the matchup. =P

R3d X

Smash Rookie
I would say short hop nair around a lot.... that usually earns me bananas quite often when against a diddy... fair him off stage if possible for gimpz =P

QUIVO

Smash Master
Like I said earlier, you're just trading hits with an arrow and banana hitting each other. You're left in the worse position if you don't react quick enough.

Diddy's banana game can still be effective in the air. If you're in the air a lot, it can get predictable and easy to bait.

I think Gnes likes to have a banana waiting for you to land. If you land and catch it, he'll just have another one ready. AZ is the same way.

Gnes

Smash Master
Like I said earlier, you're just trading hits with an arrow and banana hitting each other. You're left in the worse position if you don't react quick enough.

Diddy's banana game can still be effective in the air. If you're in the air a lot, it can get predictable and easy to bait.

I think Gnes likes to have a banana waiting for you to land. If you land and catch it, he'll just have another one ready. AZ is the same way.
Quivo's pretty much got it. Ill gladly trade a arrow hit for cornering u on one side of the stage. Also, Tink has a horrible roll animation. I also already explained to why toon link being in the air is not a great idea. It works, until diddy starts frame trapping u upon your landings. The funny part is I don't usually have the upper hand on jerm on the ground, its when he takes to the air that I start to rack up damage. Its a complicated matchup.

Also Bombs are slightly overrated. If U have a Bomb in your hand u cant Z catch the naner i just threw at your feet :)

Quivo, come back to Texas ^_^

Kaffei

Smash Hero

Quivo has some nice vids vs AZ. I think they are worth watching.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Quivo's pretty much got it. Ill gladly trade a arrow hit for cornering u on one side of the stage. Also, Tink has a horrible roll animation. I also already explained to why toon link being in the air is not a great idea. It works, until diddy starts frame trapping u upon your landings. The funny part is I don't usually have the upper hand on jerm on the ground, its when he takes to the air that I start to rack up damage. Its a complicated matchup.

Also Bombs are slightly overrated. If U have a Bomb in your hand u cant Z catch the naner i just threw at your feet :)

Quivo, come back to Texas ^_^
But we can deflect your banana with our bomb : p

Hopefully I'll be down during christmas

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm confused about something.

Greatness you're saying you'll naner a TL about to land, and then Quivo's saying he can deflect the naner with a bomb. But then you're saying you can PS the bomb.

Doesn't PSing kinda defeat the point, because if you throw the naner then PS, the naner gets blocked by the bomb (and you wouldn't need to powershield). But if you just PS the bomb and not throw the naner, by the time you do that TL will be on the ground and be able to avoid the naner correct?

Please clarify where I'm going wrong.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
What he means is he's going to cheat, like he always does. If we have a bomb in hand, he throws a banana on the ground where we are goin to land. This way, we can't catch it due to our hands being occupied by a bomb.

The whole powershield bomb thing is kind of a joke. He can't powershield bombs on comand.. Yet =[

TheJerm

Smash Champion
he didnt win anything..

Z drops bomb

Fastfall, Z catches bomb.

We land, we trip, therefor we cant shield.

besides, I'm not saying his tactic is un beatable, I was just explaining what he was talking. its not that hard to get around, its just something you have to remember.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Hahaha uh i throw the banana before your landing animation...theres not enough time to do all those things u suggested. Also if u grab the banana now i can bair your shield with no restraint or i could grab u as u grab the banana. Theorycraft is fun.
I would draw you a picture to make it easier for you to understand, but I can't on my work computer.

You drop the bomb.
As in like, drop it. With Z.

Fast fall.

Grab the banana under you.

Shield.

There's a bomb about to land and explode.
Good luck with grabbing.
Using Bair on TL's shield might also get you hit.

Either way, it's a safe way out of what Jerm was mentioning.
TL might even be able to punish with the banana.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I dont like theory crafting =[

When you play gness.. cry and close your eyes. It'll all be over soon =/

QUIVO

Smash Master
I remember hearing a young teary-eyed Jerm whisper ever so softly, "Gnes, do me gently" as he closed his eyes and took the ****. It was disturbing to watch.

By the way, Gnes' sig is too good

Gnes

Smash Master
I remember hearing a young teary-eyed Jerm whisper ever so softly, "Gnes, do me gently" as he closed his eyes and took the ****. It was disturbing to watch.

By the way, Gnes' sig is too good
LOLZ. Freaking Quivo...come back to Texas:(

I would draw you a picture to make it easier for you to understand, but I can't on my work computer.

You drop the bomb.
As in like, drop it. With Z.

Fast fall.

Grab the banana under you.

Shield.

There's a bomb about to land and explode.
Good luck with grabbing.
Using Bair on TL's shield might also get you hit.

Either way, it's a safe way out of what Jerm was mentioning.
TL might even be able to punish with the banana.
Uh im throwing the naner in like the few frames before u land, not when ur way up in the air. Thats silly. Bair is completely safe on your shield if u have a item in your hand. There is no move that u have that comes out in enough frames to challenge it. Haha u shouldn't worry too much about this, im learning far worst things to kill your character :)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
As in, you're throwing it right before he hits the ground? Without hitting him? That doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom