• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-Up Discussion: Falco

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
It seems like Falco should be first as there is no link to the re-discussion and I believe no thread. Once believed to be one of Tink's worst MUs, is it still that bad?​

Go Go Go!

Well to start off, the re-discussion thread is under the old discussions, and the link is still there, but that's not important.

There are some things that we must watch out for in this matchup.

Chain Grab: Falco's chain grab IIRC works until around 30%-40% (If I could get an exact number that would be great). If you get caught in his chain grab near the edge, try to go for a quick tether recovery. Falco will most likely SH -> Dair, so if you do the tether recovery quick enough, you can avoid the easy KO. If you get caught in the chain grab, but you reach 30%-40% before you get to the edge, just DI away from Falco, so you can keep the extra distance. Don't air dodge, since they can bait it and punish it with a Dair, Usmash, or even worse, another grab.

Lasers: Falco's lasers are really annoying. Don't let them get to you. It only deals 1%-3% of damage. Our Hero's Shield blocks the lasers at ground height. You can also just shield it if it's overwhelming you. Falco will most likely be double lasering you. A way around it is to vertically camp him. Falco can't camp vertically, his lasers only go as high as he can jump. Take advantage of that, and angle some boomerangs down, or toss a bomb or two.

Side B (Illusion): It should be the move that Falco will recover with primarily. Don't get caught in it offstage, since it spikes. The hitbox is behind Falco, so we can use a lot of attacks to block it if it's on our way. You should always expect it coming, bait it, and punish it. Either that or shield it. Sometimes, a Falco will use it as you're approaching to get to the other side of the stage. If you see it coming, try to avoid it.

UpB Recovery: Gimp it. It sucks.

I'll add more stuff later.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Falco has that infinite chain grab on the platforms at Battlefield and at Pictochat, iirc.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Boomerang and arrows work REALLY well to gimp Falco.

If feel like killing is the hardest part of this match up. I usually kill with Nair at really high percents or Nair followed by a gimp. Bair at high percents also. Running Usmash will work sometimes, but it really shouldn't. It can punish a Falco who is SHDLing too close.

For CG>Spike, I don't recommend tether-cancelling it. If you miss the lag will make you go FAR down, possibly for the KO. I usually just jump after it.

Vlade

Social Outcast
You can tech the splat though

Anyway here's stuff I wrote about the matchup in general for what falco can do, might help out with your discussion. Note that I have learnt even more about this matchup since writing this up http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=253791

I honestly think it's 55:45 Falco's favour if toon link plays it properly (air camping with invincibombs at low % and things like that). I have come to the conclusion that camping is fairly ineffective against toon link because toon link's options are severely limited up-close so the fact that 'falco outcamps toon link' is pretty much irrelevant. I know he does outcamp toon link but I don't think it's what falco should be trying to do in the matchup.

Anyway those are just my thoughts, hope I helped.

xReix

Smash Cadet
My worst matchup by far. lol

You should usually stay mid-long range until you reach about 35%. Bombs are probably your best choice of projectiles against Falco since they fall shorter than rangs and arrows. Bombs also have more priority than lasers, IIRC. I'm not saying other projectiles are useless though. Arrows/Rangs are excellent gimping tools (learned that from Near). C4s are amaaaaazing too. lol

Bair w/ fast fall AC (forgetting what it is called) is very useful. After they get 35% on me, I enter into mid-range. Mixup aerials, spaced zairs, and zair to grabs. Also, Falco's recovery methods are usually predictable. I'd throw a rang out while he is offstage and spam arrows. If you are trapped on a ledge against Falco, plank him. He can't really do much vs it. Falco's will usually retreat and spam lasers allowing you too get on.

Stages? Call me crazy but I'd go RC/SV and ban BF/Japes or FD.
35:65 Falco at worst. 40:60 Falco at best. IMO

I'm forgetting a lot and I'm on wiinet so please excuse any grammar mistakes. I'll add stuff when I remember. Oh and hi I'm Rei btw. xD

Boomerang and arrows work REALLY well to gimp Falco.

If feel like killing is the hardest part of this match up. I usually kill with Nair at really high percents or Nair followed by a gimp. Bair at high percents also. Running Usmash will work sometimes, but it really shouldn't. It can punish a Falco who is SHDLing too close.

For CG>Spike, I don't recommend tether-cancelling it. If you miss the lag will make you go FAR down, possibly for the KO. I usually just jump after it.
For the times I've done it, it usually never misses. Jumping is also a good option I guess.

Oh, something that I like to do against Falcos when I'm bored is to use our Ftilt like Marth's Fsmash when they recover with UpB. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS, but if you're in a friendly, go wild. It's fun.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Onstage Falco - Aircamp, throw bombs + angled down boomerangs.

Offstage Falco - SHDA -> hog/up b gimp (if both arrows connect while he's trying to phantasm right by the edge, after the second one hits, run in and dash attack. hog. too easy)

falcos gay

still one of our hardest matchups

me and kismet ****ed around with splatting at LasT4, they're most likely not gonna hit that. They need to roll to the edge (to the point where they'd be teetering) while facing towards the stage, then grab. Or pivot grab to the edge. Most likely NOT gonna happen. If you're on stage, they'll dthrow you like 6 times, you'll get splatted, they'll shoot ONE laser, then gatling combo (dacus) when you getup for about 70-80%.

I guess it can be an infinite on a platform...it's just not gonna happen lol

Umm, I get hit a LOT in this matchup. Just focus on not getting killed. You don't die when he lasers you at 180%.

Don't forget to keep up the spam btw. Some people stop throwing **** cuz of his reflector. Let them reflect all they want. Bait it. If you're doing it right, you won't get hit by you're own stuff. And it'll help slow down his laser spam.

Don't forget to keep up the spam btw. Some people stop throwing **** cuz of his reflector. Let them reflect all they want. Bait it. If you're doing it right, you won't get hit by you're own stuff. And it'll help slow down his laser spam.
I heard from somewhere that you can hit his reflector back at him? Is it true? Is it worth it?

xReix

Smash Cadet
I heard from somewhere that you can hit his reflector back at him? Is it true? Is it worth it?
I think I saw this in a Wario combo video. The wario threw his bike and the Falco attempted to reflect it back. It came back and Falco received massive damage. I'm fairly sure it was his reflector that dealt the damage.

I'd link it but I'm on Wiinet. lol 'Wah wah wah 2 a Wario combo video by Waft-Oli'.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Actually, I think it just hits him normally.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Falco's reflector does some weird **** sometimes... when he reflects thunder in a weird way and it gives him like 900%.

Something to look out for: Falco falls in a really good way to get the arrow lock. Obviously it's techable and just DIable...but it seems to work better on Falco then anyone else.

MJG

Smash Hero
I stopped reading after a few post but the infinite on the platform is not going to work more than likely >_>.

There is a certain part of falco's reflector where we can hit him with our bombs (Im not exactly sure where at but ya)

I never approach when im under 40%. I could care less if the falco player racks up damage on me with lasers.

Falco's jab is REALLY good. Avoid spot dodging in this match (Spot dodging is bad in general anyways). Even if the jab doesn't hit you, there is a good chance that the falco player will just hit you with another jab or grab you.

Some of falco's most common kill moves would be Bair, Up Air, Up Smash (A common string is Laser>DACUS) Forward Smash (******** hit box) Dair and Down Smash at certain percentages...

Vlade

Social Outcast
I actually don't think Falco's reflector is even that useful anymore, it's better to just walk and powershield if possible. I only really find reflecting the boomerang to be of any use.

Alzi

Smash Master
Yeah reflector doesn't do much. Only good for Boomerang as Vlade said.

It shouldn't be used for arrows since Toon link shoudn't be using arrows on stage since theres a good chance you will get hit by a laser if you try. Arrows should be used for off stage.

Down smash gimp can work but i don't think the Falco will be approaching to his death because he can out camp us.

I find Back air usful here. Most Falco's will roll to dodge projectiles and try get a grab in behind or jab so if you are running away to get in a safe space between yourself and the falco i would do it with Bair's as they might roll towards you and the second bair will hit.

55:45 Falco's Favour sounds good.

We do win off stage but he wins on stage. Most the time you will be playing on stage and we can't always get a gimp. Toon Link and Falco both have trouble killing each other. 55:45 sounds right to me.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
This needs more discussion.

One thing to keep is mind is gimping. Tink CAN gimp Falco. SHDA when Flaco is offstage works wonders.

Punishing Phantasm is insanely hard for me. I've gotten jab to beat it but the timing is dumb. Nair seems to either beat it with the first hit or trade hits with the second. I haven't gotten bair to work. Ftilt kinda can as well as Utilt.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
It kinda does, but it is slightly impractical on reaction. A popular strategy is spam SHDL then phantasm why you get get close. Unless they become predictable, it is insane to punish its slight lag. Think tornado that ends battlefield's length away. I'm still kinda at a loss here. Nair seems to be the best.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
This is gonna sound crazy, probably because it is, but I was thinking about this the other day (all untested btw, this is just me thinking out loud). Why not Z-drop a Bomb in the middle of the stage and then try and approach. The plan is, when he tries to phantasm, he goes straight into the Bomb, blows himself up and gives us time to counter. Now there are a few things that will stuff this up, the first one, if the phantasm works like Fox's one, then he can actually go straight through the Bomb if he phantasms up close, but it will blow him up if used from a distance. That's why I said specifically to drop the bomb in the middle of the stage and not up close. Another thing, he can simply phantasm over it. But this still means that he can't instantly use it after a silent laser.

Anyway, at worst, it will mean that he can only phantasm over it which will limit his options somewhat. So what do you think?

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Interesting idea if a bit impractical.

I'm playing a falco weekly now (offline...) and though I'm significantly better, he knows what he's doing. I'll test this out if no one else can.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
You said it, interesting, yet, yeah.
Z-dropping the Bomb, shouldn't be too hard cause if you hold Z, you're landing in your shield. So just Z-drop it when your about to land and be hit with a laser?
Let me know how it goes.

KunaiX

Smash Cadet
I fight against many good Falcos and i lost only to Gregs, but that have another reasons.

So in my opinion, Falco have it difficult to kill us. He can only Spam and approach with it, but if we keep to play defensive he cant kill us or its very difficult for him to do. His Air Speed is ok, but we have the advantage in the Air. Even when he try to out camp us, he cant. Laser is good but only on flat stages and even when he try to camp, we are on the advantage.

You need only the rhythm of his shoots and you can easily dodge and punish him for that. Keep Zairing in Midrange!

His Close Combat Battle is hart for us, like grabs and the combos after this. Its hard for me do avoid hits. So i keep the range to camp him. If i see that he is trying to own us with his reflector you have to go in midrange combat.

Important for TL Players: Jump Jump prevent for his close range battle, there you have a disadvantage.

Btw. this comment comes from my experience about that matchup.

Heavy Metal KiLLeR

Smash Cadet
I think it is TL worst MU.

He outcamp us really bad, he just needs to spamm his lasers and if we try jumping and throwing bombs/boomerangs from above he will just jump higher and shoot.

The reflector has almost the same range as the zair, and it seens not not to be a big problem, but he can uses it to make us stay away again, since we can only beat this move using zair, or after it, while the cooldown lag.

In the air is pretty even, his dair and bair are amazing and can cover him well, I don't know, but I think Falcos bair have a bigger range than our bair, and we need our bair to follow ups, but falco can beat it up with bair, and make our follow ups turn into his side if he properly uses dair. We got more speed in the air at least...

At close range Falco has his Tilts (ftilt is fast), jabs and GRABS. We have disavantage.
At long range Falco has the lasers. We have disavantage.
At middle range we have boomerang, bombs, zair and their follow ups, but falco have his reflector and can try lasers follow ups, like lasers-> DACUS. We have a small disavantange

Falco can kill us nice, if TL mistakes an approach Falco will Fsmash and it is GG. Or a usmash, since the lazors let him in a very conortable situation to approach or do what he wants. We can kill falco but it will be hard to approach and we can be baited and punished hard.

Falco can be gimped, yeah, but if he makes a nice DI he still with his DJ and his phantom. And it is easy to DI up nair, bair, fair, etc...Only zair/nair can beat the phantom, but it needs a hell of a timing...Gimp will only works well with dsmash (hard to catch), Dash atack (nair, zair-> dash atack near the edge, works wonderfull), the understimmated Dtilt. And our bombs, boomerangs and arrows, that can cancel falcos DJ and phantom, to force he to use UpB. Anything that isn't this moves will not be able to gimp falco.

Conclusion: Falco ***** Toon Link IMO

(sorry for my bad english guys xD)

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
No way this MU is 50:50. I agree with HMK that this is our worst MU (OK maybe MK is worse...). For ratios I'm thinking 65-35 but I won't put it until I get general consensus, so please start posting your ideas.

Falco just shuts our options off too well. If you watched the matches of Larry vs ChuDat, you'd prolly understand what I'm talking about when I say "Falco". SHDL spam>Phantasm is crippling. There are ways around it, but this alone takes away Tink's spam game. Get in and he Phantasms through you. If the Falco plays smart, Tink shouldn't be winning.

At least that's my view. Still open to others.

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
the thing about falco is u cant play him the way u play everyone else.

go to battlefield. jump onto top platform and jus rain down bombs.

i really dont see how this can be our worst MU. i like the toon vs falco MU. almost as much as i like the diddy vs toon MU

This MU is depends a LOT on the stages picked. Falco can either own you, or get owned by you depending on the stage is chosen.

For example, if you pick Final Destination or Jungle Japes, you're screwed. You don't have to worry that much about Jungle Japes, since it's usually banned, but FD is a bad stage since his SHDL just dominates here.

If you pick a stage with platforms, you can already work around his lasers.

If you want a good stage, just pick Delfino. He has trouble grabbing on to the platform using his Side B. Some of the locations can mess up his SHDL game (as well as help), and TL overall isn't bad at the stage.

Or you could pick Rainbow Cruise. Or Frigate, if you actually like that stage (like I do :D).

.REMIX.

Smash Apprentice
Lol this MU again xD

I discussed this with jash at bum's and with pierce at weigraff too good

Jash says to try a zair into grab if possible as soon as you can to lead up to a bair combo and then continue to juggle him with boomerang and other aerials. He told me that using a bomb won't work to well when hes in the air unless you pull one out when falco is close to dying at the top roof. He also said to not over use TLs projectiles or the reflector shield is gonna be used more and more the more projectiles you throw.

Pierce says "why would you even do that MU -_-" lol

IMO, most of what jash said and edge-guard could rack up a very good amount of damage and nair's second hit to counter falcos side-b. i also try to not shield his lazers when he is near me because im most like going to get grabbed or DA dacus'd. But it is my worst MU so i don't know if my knowledge o9f the MU will work too well :/

On the other hand if any of you TL mains secondary any character then that would be great too. I just gave up on using tl and went straight to ic's for this mu. Simply because CGing falco is the same timing as mk and fox making it pretty simple. But that's just me of course :/

All in all, this MU ****s over TL :'(

EDIT: I would cp stages like halberd, picto, frigate or even RC if i force myself to use tlink.

MJG

Smash Hero
MK has it just as hard IMO. UNLESS, you decide to plank as MK..toonlink could even beat falco by planking IMO, but I wouldnt really resort to planking >_>

Delfino is a decent CP seeing as how it screws his recovery over somewhat.

dualblindfold

Smash Rookie
I have a friend who mains falco, so I've gotten a decent amount of experience with the match-up. Like it's been said before, it's almost impossible to outcamp Falco long-range, so you want to stay mid-range most of the time. If I even see a grab coming soon, I try to keep a bomb in hand so it'll explode in his face while i'm being CG'd. Like everyone's said, he's really easy to gimp most of the time. This MU is really just a test of how intelligently you play. I'd say 40:60 or 45:55 Falco.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
Imo, boomerangs directed behind Falco and used on its return = most advantageous tool for me in this match up.
Idk why.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
He would have to turn around to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom