• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link is a clone. And it's awesome.

maian

Smash Apprentice
I've thrown my opinion about this around in several paragraphs in many different places, so I'm not going to bother right now. Quite simply, this is a thread for those who agree, for those who have seen his gameplay video, and would have Young Link no other way.

I am GLAD he didn't get a new moveset, but are there people who agree? Are there people who are as mind blowingly excited to play as him as I?

Wolffe

Smash Cadet
I've thrown my opinion about this around in several paragraphs in many different places, so I'm not going to bother right now. Quite simply, this is a thread for those who agree, for those who have seen his gameplay video, and would have Young Link no other way.

I am GLAD he didn't get a new moveset, but are there people who agree? Are there people who are as mind blowingly excited to play as him as I?
I would have preferred him to have a different moveset due to being from a different game in the series, but meh, what can you do, it's clone-city all over again anyway so might aswell make them cell-shaded clones for some novelty

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Well, the 'normal' Link was changed significantly, so I guess it's another Mario/ Luigi, Ness/ Lucas, Fox/ Falco scenario. Well, not really as all of those characters have far larger differences between themselves than Toon Link does, but... Eh... Hey, he's cel-shaded!

Though I could've done with a Deku Leaf attack, though his FS could always be unique with the Wind Waker.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
IDK... that whole deku leaf thing would have made or a great recovery move...

I don't thinI can ever support a clone getting in over an orginal character... which is why I'm hatin on wolf so bad... now fox has 2 clones!?! WTF mate?

assassinX105

Smash Apprentice
I personally think it's okay to have a few clones, which is why I like this game so much, I mean so far I've seen 4 semi clones (luigi, gannondorf, lucas, and falco) and then one actual clone (toon link)

assassinX105

Smash Apprentice
I personally think it's okay to have a few clones, which is why I like this game so much, I mean so far I've seen 4 semi clones (luigi, gannondorf, lucas, and falco) and then one actual clone (toon link)

x1372

Smash Ace
frankly I'm happy that toon link got in. People may be upset about him being a clone, but I look at it this way

1) Take Young Link
2) Improve him slightly
3) ???
4) Profit!

Looks like I can take my secondary from melee and maybe turn him into my main in brawl.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
I don't mind him being a clone, but now he's in, I would've prefered him to have Deku Leaf and the likes. I always prefernon-clones over clones.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
He really had such potential for a great moveset, now we have a cuter Young Link...=\

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I may think of playing him. I've always liked Linl's move set. He was just always a tad too slow for me. I usually like fast characters ( apart from my main, Zelda)

Toon Link is essentially a faster Link, with faster attacks. I like it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Since I have come to accept the final roster, I do not mind seeing him in Brawl. His stage looks rather neat, not to mention the fact that he will FINALLY help put all those Twilight Princess vs. Wind Waker arguments to rest...;)

Bash20

Smash Rookie
well i think the creators of the game says
that it wouldnt be clones but now are and when i see toon link i think wow his gonna use de wind waker and he will not use the clawshot i imagen the gamplinghook or things like that but i dont imagen clones =/

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
There ARE some differences in combat.

I've noticed in videos that his sword plant(down a), for example, actually propels him downwards, quite a different attack from Link's.

Also I've seen him perform more spinning slashes for his regular attacks.

3GOD

Smash Ace
People are mostly upset because he has no unique special moves (though the verdict has not yet come about his Final Smash). Personally, I wouldn't have replaced any of his special moves either (with the possible exception of Bow and Arrows). The fact of the matter is, we don't really know how useful his bombs and boomerang are yet, but they are likely to have different properties than those of regular Link.

The thing that makes "clones" fun to play is the slight differences. As many have noticed, Toon Link's Dair propels him downward...this provides a little twist in strategy. It seems to even cancel his 2nd jump, giving him a DJC of sorts. You can jump above a shielding opponent and make them think you're going to attack - when they attempt to shield grab only to find you've DJC'd a Dair in their face.

It's hard to judge his other standard attacks with such limited gameplay, but I think his Fair seems to have good range (which YL from Melee lacked). Also, we don't know what properties his tilts and smashes have really (the fsmash was used a lot in the video). Not to mention his grabs (does he have a hookshot? I assume so) and dash attack.

PS - If you don't understand some of my lingo, just ask since I'm using a lot of the terms from competitive Melee.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Toon Link obviously doesn't have the Gale Boomerang, and most likely has a different Final Smash. Add that to the modified mechanics of Young Link as well as the unique appearance, and we've got ourselves a good character.

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you guys but seeing so much speed thrown in with Link's moves made me was close to faint-worthy

Bahamut-Prime

Smash Cadet
There ARE some differences in combat.

I've noticed in videos that his sword plant(down a), for example, actually propels him downwards, quite a different attack from Link's.
I also noticed that and it seemed the attack still dealt around 15% damage though it also may not have propelled them as far difficult to tell.

Anyways it seems rather cheap considering characters like Dedede have a down B which may not even deal that damage and that they stall in the air before plummeting.

But besides that attack as long as he's not very light like young link who sucked I'll be happy I suppose

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
i dont mind him being a clone. I would have prefered him not to be, but I'm ok with clones. Looks like they are different enough anyway especially since Link has so much new. I'm just thrilled he is in it

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I'm reaaallly glad he's a clone. That was actually my initial reaction last week when the roster was leaked. I was asking if he was a clone =D My main was Young Link because I loved his style of play. Glad to see he kept it!

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Side B - Skull Hammer, acts like DK's Headbutt
Up B - Deku Leaf, acts like Snake's Cypher recovery
Down B - Parry, acts like Metaknight's Dimensional Cape, except more a roll than a teleport.
Neutral B - Bow and Arrow/Iron Boots, can switch them on and off, heavily reduce launch amount but reduce speed (Imagine an impromptu Metal Box, but T.Link is slow).

Wind Waker Link had the potential to be someone completely different. I could understand Falco being a clone of Fox, you don't have too much to work from when developing Falco's moveset. But Wind Waker Link could have been a COMPLETELY unique fighter for the roster. Instead we got this. Although I do like his animations, the way his moves work, I really think Sakurai dropped the ball on this one.

PKnight

Smash Cadet
There are two things I really like about Toon Link.

1. For some reason, I adore the smoke animation from WW. He's got that, awesome.

2. Dark Toon Link. 'Nuff Said.

Lighter, smaller, quicker, extremely different mechanics on his attacks (Down+A = drool), I call that a different character.
Like I always say, comparing 'clones' is like comparing Ryu to Ken of Street Fighter. Real similar on the surface, play waaaaay differently.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
i dont mind him being a clone. I would have prefered him not to be, but I'm ok with clones. Looks like they are different enough anyway especially since Link has so much new. I'm just thrilled he is in it
I'm glad that Toon Link's a clone. Young Link is one of my mains. Can't wait to get my hands on em. :D

Althalus89

Smash Cadet
I think personally it's not bad that Toon Link is quite the clone, they're still both the same Hero incarnate come on folks! Link is Link! xD

his moveset differs some from TP Link:
He doesn't have the Gale Boomerang effec, he floats like a hovercraft in terms of jump and spin, the spin attack sends ppl right up, he's faster as expected of a small Link
This thing coming up is my guessing based on the gameplay movie I saw:
He doesn't seem to be forced to charge his bow, he just shot a straight line against Ganondorf in my point of view maybe this is a compensation for MM Links lack of range with the bow in Melee?

assassinX105

Smash Apprentice
one bad about adding T link is, all the people whinning about him being a clone and then they bring up the sakurai thing, he didn't say no clones, he said returning clones would be giving new moves

Trunkin

Smash Rookie
His boomrang doesn't pull your enemies toward you, he's way faster than link, his spin attach has a different effect, He still might have the deku leaf byholding up on the controll pad after a jump, his downward thrust propells him downwards, his bow is even a little bit different.
I think of him as a semi-clone... and yes, I am happy with him because it actually looks like an improvement from Y. link, who was slower than he needed to be.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
There is the distinct possibility I will end up dual maining him with Pit.
His Boomerang rocks, I'm really glad it's still in.
The Bombs look even more awesome.
I could deal with a different Up-B but he looks like he'll be more fun.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
He looks fairly satisfying, but there is no denying that he should have had a different moveset. Come on, bow and boomerang? And Spin attack, not even Whirlwind attack? facepalm.jpg

Dark Nemesis

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm NOT complaining. I mean, he's stronger, FASTER and has a smaller hitbox. In this case, it's more correct to call realistic Link for a clone :p

MAINED.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
his final smash is thew same as well. at least, that is what i saw

Im not dissappointed about the character appearing with clone moves. i jus the bombs are cool though hated the fact that sakurai and co could have done sooo much with him.

by the way, young link in melee was ocarina of time young link, not majora mask young link. though they are same, but just some time later. mm link started with the hylian shield, never the wooden shield he carries in melee. no, only the ocarina of time young link used that

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I fully intend to make Toon Link one of my most practiced mains (if he's not bottom tier or some such horror). There's something appealing about him, even if he is a clone. Hopefully, he plays differently than his realistic, adult counterpart so that while his moves may be the same, the way he is played is anything but. Still, I think cloning all his moves from adult Link is a waste of potential: Toon Link represents more than just the Wind Waker. The Wind Waker was a throwback to the style of 2D Zelda games. Where's my Fire Wand. My Cane of Somolia (yes! I want orange cubes on demand!), or my cape of invincibility? From Wind Waker; he could have had iron boots, skullhammers, and many more.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Side B - Skull Hammer, acts like DK's Headbutt
Up B - Deku Leaf, acts like Snake's Cypher recovery
Down B - Parry, acts like Metaknight's Dimensional Cape, except more a roll than a teleport.
Neutral B - Bow and Arrow/Iron Boots, can switch them on and off, heavily reduce launch amount but reduce speed (Imagine an impromptu Metal Box, but T.Link is slow).

Wind Waker Link had the potential to be someone completely different. I could understand Falco being a clone of Fox, you don't have too much to work from when developing Falco's moveset. But Wind Waker Link could have been a COMPLETELY unique fighter for the roster. Instead we got this. Although I do like his animations, the way his moves work, I really think Sakurai dropped the ball on this one.
Result, a crappified Toon Link?

Beauregard

Smash Cadet
I would have preferred him to have a different moveset due to being from a different game in the series, but meh, what can you do, it's clone-city all over again anyway so might aswell make them cell-shaded clones for some novelty

I have been playing almost nonstop since Monday night, and i can honestly tell you there isnt a single character thats could even come close to being called a clone. Toon links aerials function completely different than regular link, all his B moves are significantly different, and he is plays completely different from regular link. all three space animals are less clones of fox than Luigi is a clone of Mario. I can assure anyone in doubt, that toon link is his own character, and is also awesome.

Top Bottom